Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Greetings From A Portrait

by Emilie_D 2 reviews

Dumbledore is finally awake.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-24 - 2895 words - Complete

1Exciting
"I hope that you are enjoying your visit to Hogwarts," Albus Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling cheerfully.

"Albus Dumbledore, I presume," Zelda replied. She stared into his eyes, trying to decide whether he was a person, and shook her head in confusion. "Hogwarts is the most amazing place I can imagine, and I'm enjoying my visit here very much. But, what are you?"

"I am a magical portrait, Mrs. Larsson," Dumbledore pronounced, "sworn to serve the current Head of Hogwarts. We are representations of what we were in life, containing memories of our experiences, and we are able to offer counsel to Headmistress McGonagall."

"Not a ghost, not human, something different," Zelda mused. "But how do you know my name?"

The portrait Dumbledore chuckled. "This is not your first visit to this office, and you have been a subject of conversation here. Also, I believe that Phineas Nigellus has become quite taken with you."

"Dumbledore, you forget that you are now a portrait also," the former Headmaster Black sneered, "and I am no longer compelled to accept insolence from you."

Zelda's eyes sparkled. Conversing with magical portraits was incredible, and here was her chance to learn a bit about the amazing Albus Dumbledore. "You were all sleeping when I was here before, except Phineas Nigellus. I think he's conceived a hopeless passion for me, you know."

Dumbledore ignored the spluttering sound coming from the other portrait and said, "You must be aware that things are not always what they seem, Mrs. Larsson. You are a person of great interest to us, you know, as the first Muggle who has entered this office in a very long time."

Zelda's eyebrow rose comically. Hearing that she was not the first Muggle to enter this hallowed office surprised her, and she wanted to know more. But she became aware that she was no longer alone. Severus had come to stand next to her. She turned and saw that Minerva was speaking quietly to Harry with a grim expression in her eyes, and then turned back to look at Severus's pale face.

"Headmaster," he murmured.

"Severus," said Dumbledore softly. "I see that you have been extremely busy of late. It pleases me to see you looking so well."

Zelda wished to leave Severus to face the portrait of his mentor and friend in privacy, so she stepped silently back. When Severus sensed her movement and turned, she smiled up at him, brushed her fingers over his hand briefly, and said, "I need to speak with Harry, Sev."

"Thank you, Zelda," he whispered, turning back to the portrait. His face was carefully blank as he turned back to the portrait, but he was unable to find words, so he simply studied the old wizard in the portrait.

"I must thank you, Severus," Dumbledore said. "You honored your promise to me, although I realize that it was most difficult."

Severus nodded. They both knew what the plan had entailed, and none knew what the outcome of this war would be. "How are you, a portrait, able to assist us now?"

Dumbledore smiled fondly at the impassive wizard. "Always you are practical. I am able to offer advice to Minerva, based on my experiences in life. I may also travel between this frame and any other of my portraits that are hung about the wizarding world. If I can offer advice or assistance to you, Severus, you will find me here."

"Thank you," said Severus. "And you do not believe that... it was a mistake? I cannot see that we have made advances, and I fear that the Order has lost far more than simply your presence."

"It was my time," said Dumbledore firmly. "One hundred and fifty years is a very long time. All of you are ready to make your own decisions and must not be hampered by the flawed judgment of a very old man."

Severus disagreed strongly with that statement, but he was able to grasp that arguing with Dumbledore's portrait was fruitless. "And have you any advice for me?" he asked levelly.

"Dear boy, you know what you must do, and you are doing it," Dumbledore chided, "and I am pleased to see that you have found Mrs. Larsson. She seems a delightful woman."

"Thank you," replied Severus, aware that all of the portraits were closely watching his response to this personal comment.

"Personally, I am disappointed that the Head of Slytherin House would consort with such a vulgar Muggle creature," Phineas Nigellus sniped nastily.

"When I require your opinion, I shall ask for it," Severus replied frigidly.

"That is the true spirit of Hogwarts, young Snape!" exclaimed Headmaster Fortescue. "You need not take cheek from Phineas, the annoying old bastard! I could tell you stories about him..."

Severus felt his lips twitching, but gravely replied, "Once more, thank you, Sir." He nodded respectfully to the portrait Dumbledore and went to rejoin Potter and the others.

Zelda could see no difference in Severus's expression when he returned. She hoped that his conversation with Dumbledore's portrait had helped to ease his conscience, but she would not ask in front of others.

She had rejoined Harry and Minerva in time to hear Minerva's withering lecture on the abuse of magic, and had sat silently as Minerva brought some facts to Harry's attention in a way that was hard to ignore. Her mind wandered, pondering the very complicated relationship between Severus Snape and Harry Potter.

Harry's impulsive, open nature was anathema to Severus, as he hid himself behind a wall of coldness as he hid his body in protective layers of clothing. Their tangled relationship had begun before Harry was born, when Severus was a student with Harry's parents, and was intertwined with misunderstandings.

Oddly, she thought, Severus believed that Harry was strong and capable of accomplishing his appalling tasks, although he found the young man extremely irritating. And in spite of Harry's anger and prejudice, on some level she believed that he respected and trusted Severus. It was very strange.

As Severus sat down next to her, Zelda met his gaze, and said, "Magical Ethics, dear boy. My suggestion is a one year-course, in their second year, before they become too full of teenage arrogance. It wouldn't reach all of them, but they might become more aware that each choice they make has consequences for good or for evil. You can't be subtle with teenagers regarding ethics."

Harry flushed at her words. Having already heard from Professor McGonagall on the subject, he was becoming extremely annoyed. Zelda's words brought a frown to his face, and when he saw Snape looking intently at him, he looked down, not wishing to hear another lecture.

Severus was fighting his urge to walk from the room. It was probably hopeless, but he had regained control of his temper and determined again to attempt to reach the young idiot.

"Potter," he said quietly, "there are few things I wish to do less than discuss this with you. However... I perceive that in a very short time you are becoming a truly formidable Legilimens and Occlumens. It is a feat that few wizards have accomplished, and another proof, should you need it, that you are gifted with great power."

Harry could not believe he was hearing these words from Snape, and he forgot to be irritated and listened intently.

"In this battle with the Dark Lord, these skills may help you to survive," Severus continued in a low voice, "however, the potential for turning these powers to Dark uses is great. You still view magic as a game, instead of a series of choices that may take you far from your original goal. The power is yours, Potter, and the choices are yours. I hope that you will make... wise choices."

His listeners were silent. Minerva McGonagall struggled to control her features, but she was amazed to hear Severus Snape offer this advice to Harry Potter. Her respect for her normally taciturn young colleague rose, as she realized that his words had come from his own bitter experience.

Harry seemed to be studying his hands, which were in his lap, and said nothing for several minutes. When he looked up, his eyes went to Severus. "I'm sorry, Professor Snape. I was mad at what you said about practicing Occlumency, and I... I don't know why I do such stupid things sometimes. I won't do it again."

Severus had gotten more than he had expected from the young man, he realized, and nodded sternly at him, wishing that now he could be finished with all of this and be alone to collect his thoughts. It was impossible, however.

Zelda broke the silence, saying, "Harry, I'd like to speak with you a bit, and I think Severus needs to talk to Professor McGonagall. Would you walk me back to my room, please?"

"An excellent idea," Minerva said approvingly. "I will not keep Severus long, Zelda, and then he will return to your room."

Severus breathed easier when the door had closed with Potter on the other side of it. "I must believe that in spite of his childish behavior, Potter will fulfill his destiny, but only because the alternative is too horrifying to contemplate."

"You're remarkably patient with him, Severus," said Minerva. "I wonder whether he can possibly carry this burden, but he seems to have matured of late. I suppose we shall see."

"I have considered the problem of the passage between Hogwarts and the Shrieking Shack," Severus said, "and concluded that the simplest solution is to apply the Fidelius Charm to it. If you agree to be the Secret Keeper, Minerva, you may allow access only to Potter, Granger, Weasley and myself. Thus, access to the passage is restricted."

"I cannot think of a better means of securing the passage than this," she said thoughtfully. "If Remus Lupin finds himself unable to access the passage he will undoubtedly be confused, but he is free to approach the school openly, should he need to do so."

"Minerva," Severus said, "After I leave tonight, please keep a close watch on Zelda while she is at Hogwarts. Her experience of the Imperius has made her more aware of her vulnerability here. I do not think she will knowingly take risks, but you know well that a Muggle is at great risk here."

"I have not abandoned hope of her working on the Muggle Studies curriculum, you know," said Minerva.

"Zelda may bring the materials back to her own home," he replied irritably. "I wish to know that she is safe when I cannot watch over her."

"Very well, Severus," she said. "I do not wish to endanger her. I am, however, happy to have met her. In our world we have our stereotypes, and I confess I have not appreciated that Muggles may be remarkable individuals."

Severus rose, preparing to leave. "Keep Hogwarts safe, Minerva. I will try to make contact with you, but it may not always be possible. If the Dark Lord suspects me I may not survive this night, and in that case carry on, keep the Order members focused on their tasks, and do what you can to assist Potter and his friends."

She accompanied him to the top of the stairs. "Do not worry about Hogwarts. Molly will be here later today, and I shall propose that she teach Transfiguration this year. I hope that she will agree to do it."

As he stepped onto the stairs, she said firmly, "I hope to see you again soon."

He nodded, and replied, "I share your hope, Minerva."

Severus made his way without incident back to Zelda's guest room, and as he entered, he saw that they had been studying the Marauder's Map, and Potter was folding it and putting it back into his pocket.

"Potter, be very sure that no one sees that Map," he said mildly, not wishing to arouse the boy's resistance. "It may assist you now, but it is a danger if it falls into the enemy's hands."

"I know," said Harry. He felt very self-conscious after his ill-fated Legilimency attempt. "I'll be leaving now, Sir. I hope you'll take Zelda out and explore Hogwarts a bit today."

Severus stared. Exploring? Was the pestilent boy quite mad?

Harry stood up, pulled a shimmering piece of cloth out of a pocket and tentatively said, "You can leave it with Professor McGonagall, Sir, and I'll get it from her later."

This was interesting, Severus thought. "A peace offering?" he asked cynically.

Harry smiled weakly. "I guess so." He grew serious then. "Professor, I hope tonight... I hope it goes okay. And I'm really sorry about this morning."

A slight, sardonic smile touched the older wizard's lips. "Thank you, Potter. Rest assured that I shall indeed return your cloak." He held out his hand slowly. "Pray continue your treasure hunt now, and strive endlessly to master your... impulses."

Harry took Professor Snape's proffered hand, and glanced hesitantly into his face. The fact that Snape had not strangled him, and was actually speaking to him, drove home the knowledge that this was no game.

"Thanks, Professor," he mumbled shyly. He took a shaky breath and started to speak, but changed his mind. He nodded again, and left them without another word.

Severus turned to Zelda, who had stayed uncharacteristically silent during his brief conversation with Potter. "Well, my girl?"

"I'm very well, if confused. What is that thing that Harry gave you?" she asked quizzically.

"Potter is the fortunate owner of an Invisibility Cloak, and perhaps does not realize the value of what he has offered to me," Severus replied skeptically.

"He knows," she said gently. "What he did this morning was dreadful, but I'm actually glad he did it. I believe he's learned from it." She stood up as she spoke and came to him.

Severus embraced her, feeling the tension begin to drain from his body. It had been difficult, and there was much he must think on, but later, he thought.

"Is the question of the passage settled?" asked Zelda, hoping that before he left Hogwarts his worries would be allayed.

"Minerva will perform the Fidelius Charm today," he said. "About Miss Tonks and Lupin, now that Minerva is aware I hope she will observe that situation. Molly must be made aware also. I hope that she will indeed agree to take on some of the Transfiguration classes, it will be good to have another intelligent watcher at Hogwarts."

"Is there anything I can do for you today, while you're still here?" she asked. "I think that soon, possibly tomorrow, I'll go back home and work on the Muggle Studies course there. I don't want you to worry, and I'd rather keep myself out of trouble."

"Thank you, my girl," he replied. "I was going to ask you to go. I wish to be with you when you return to Hogwarts." He kissed the top of her head, grateful that she did not wish to stay and explore on her own.

"Will you allow Minerva and Molly access to me? I want to be able to speak with them, if they need a pep talk, or hand-holding."

"That is reasonable," he said. "I appreciate the way that you have helped us. Your assisting me to deal with Potter has made my life bearable."

"The more I see of how things have been between the two of you, I'm frankly surprised you haven't killed each other. But he's a good kid, Sev, and much of this isn't his fault," she said.

"I realize that," he muttered grudgingly, "however, it does seem that he was born simply to plague me. Also, your fondness for him is annoying."

"I've noticed," she grinned. "I really can't help it, you know. My own son left the nest, but I'm still a mother. I find teenage boys very endearing, and there's poor Harry, who's been needing a mother for his whole life."

Severus rolled his eyes in exasperation. "I hope you do not expect me to love the wretched boy," he sneered.

Zelda burst out laughing. "Do I look like an idiot? I have no expectations, only a sincere hope that you won't give in to temptation and strangle him."

"I have managed not to do it thus far," he smirked.

"Carry on then, my boy," she said. "Now, if that Invisibility Cloak really works, where shall we go?"

"Wherever you would like to go," he said.

"She glanced out the window at the bright blue sky, and said, "It's stopped raining, so perhaps we could go outside for a bit?"

"Very well, my girl. You will seem to be going for a walk all alone, so try not to talk too noticeably."

"Do you doubt that I can keep quiet?" she said ironically. "Put on that cloak, and let's go."

Severus picked up the shimmering thing and slung it over himself. He was ridiculously delighted by Zelda's startled gasp at his disappearance. He put his hand out of the cloak and reached for her hand.

Zelda saw a thin hand floating in midair, which reached for hers. It was so uncanny that she pulled back briefly. But once he grasped her hand, she knew his touch and allowed herself to be led out of her room.
Sign up to rate and review this story