Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Let's Get This Party Started!

by ilex 1 review

Everything's ready. Now, where are the guests? Outside? Oh, dear.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-25 - 2020 words

1Original



Chapter 27



Let's Get This Party Started!





"It's snowing!"



Harry popped into the kitchen after clattering down the stairs.



"Really?" Anna looked up at him, bleary eyed. "Wait 'til I get some coffee down my throat and I'll go check this amazing news flash for accuracy."



"HA! HA! You really are a grump before that first cup, aren't you?" Harry teased as he accepted a glass of juice from Winky and settled into the chair opposite Anna's.



"Shut it, you," she growled, but with a small smile playing at the corners of her mouth. "People who know I'm grumpy at this ungodly hour leave me in peace.../usually/."



Harry laughed and reached for the salt and pepper, as Winky put his breakfast plate of eggs and sausages in front of him.



"Thanks, Winky."



"You is welcome, Harry Potter, sir."



"Morning, all." Gwen and Remus joined them, having hung their coats in the hall. "Reporting for party duty! Hey, it's snowing! Did you see?"



"Right. That's the second coming of the morning news. Thanks for sharing," growled Anna as she propped her chin in her hand and stirred her coffee.



"First cup?"



"Yes."



"Sorry."



"Sit down you two." Anna swiveled to peer at them.



"You're such a charming hostess, Anna, how could we refuse?" Remus countered.



"Did someone dispense perky pills? You lot are way too cheerful."



"Oooooooo," all three reacted, leaning away from Anna.



"That's it/! I'm going into the conservatory, /with my paper and coffee, for a little peace and /quiet/!"



Standing, she grabbed her morning paper and coffee mug and shuffled off, muttering to herself, through the archway into the adjoining garden room.



"Miss Congeniality, our Anna."



"I thought she'd never leave."



"I heard that!"



X # X # X



"So, Winky," asked Gwen, turning and accepting her coffee mug from the house elf, "all ready to go for tonight?"



"Yes, Missy Gwen. I is all prepared and will start cooking after lunch and everything will be ready on time."



"The house decorations look beautiful and I loved seeing some of the old china and glasses and linens used again after all this time. Some were my Mother's, you see."



"Yes, Missy Gwen, I is understanding that from Missy Anna. She is liking my choices, too." Winky nodded happily.



"Is there anything we can do to help or should we just stay out of your way?" Remus questioned, knowing the answer.



"Winky has everything under control," the house elf assured them and gave them a thumb's up sign. They all smiled and returned the signal.



"Remus and I are going to pick some music for tonight, though, if you don't mind, Winky. We'll be in the music room later this morning, if you need us, Ok?"



"Yes, Missy Gwen, I is liking Muggle music."



"Hey, you lot! It's snowing!" shouted Anna. "Come and see!"



"Coffee's kicked in."



"Apparently."



"Well, now that she's being civil, shall we join her?" Gwen suggested, getting up from her chair.



"Sounds like a plan," Harry agreed. Standing, he picked up his plate and juice and followed Remus and Gwen into the conservatory.



X # X # X



Anna descended the stairs that evening, putting her earrings in and stopped in front of the hall mirror for a final inspection. Remus and Gwen bustled through the front door and shook snow from their coats, stomping their feet.



"At least it's not snowing as hard now," commented Gwen. "I don't think it'll slow anyone up, the roads are mostly cleared."



"The only ones who'd have difficulty would be the Grangers and the Dursleys. Oh, maybe Neville and his Gran," remarked Remus, as he hung their coats in the vestibule.



"Arthur and Molly are bringing them from the Leaky Cauldron in a Ministry car that Arthur borrowed," Anna informed them. "Got an owl from him an hour ago. And I'll bet good Galleons this snow won't stop Petunia from dragging Vernon here, even if she has to use a dog sled!"



"Which reminds me, Anna," Harry inquired as he descended the stairs. "Exactly what charm did you use on Aunt Petunia, to get her to do the '180'?"



"Promise you won't tell?"



"Lord, no! I rather enjoyed watching Uncle Vernon gulp like a gold fish at her sudden change of attitude. He probably thinks either we're contagious or she was brainwashed somehow."



"Little of both," Anna admitted. "You see, I did try to include Petunia in the fun, whenever I visited Lily during our school holidays. It was mean to leave her out or ignore her, I thought. So, I did do a /small /charm on her the other day, just for old time's sake."



"Anna," Remus growled, putting his hands on his hips. "Exactly what did you do? Out with it!"



"I did a memory modification, with a pinch of 'Confundus' and a bit of a cheering charm thrown in for good measure. That way she only remembered the good times we had back then and forgot her jealousy of Lily. So, sue me!"



Remus shook his head. "Will it last?"



"Through this evening, at least. Then, if she and Vernon talk, maybe they'll be a little less intolerant of our world."



"Too much to ask for," said Harry, shaking his head. "I'm used to them the way they are. Let them live in their Muggle minded ignorance. Bit safer for them, too."



He looked at Anna with an arched eyebrow and she nodded, but then furrowed her brow.



"Wouldn't you want them to treat you with a little more respect, or at least common courtesy, Harry?" Anna asked, puzzled at Harry's response.



"I only spend about four weeks a year with them. I can tolerate their 'attitude' for that long. Besides, they respect me - ok, they're scared of me. I don't get the constant grief I used to, and if they suddenly became nicer, I'd probably find it nauseating," Harry added with a grin.



"Fine; tonight only. The charm will wear off tomorrow, but if you think Petunia needs a booster, let me know."



"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind," Harry laughed.



X # X # X



"Arthur! Molly! Welcome!" Anna exclaimed as she pulled open the vestibule doors and swung them wide. "Mrs. Longbottom, how splendid to have you with us this evening!"



"Anna, my dear," the grand old lady replied, as she swept into the hall and exchanged a kiss on the cheek with her hostess. "My, what a fine house you have here." Looking around with her all-seeing gaze, she allowed Arthur to remove her cloak. "Thank you, Arthur."



"I'll give you the tour, later," said Anna. "Neville, my lad!"



"Hi, Aunt Anna," replied Neville, giving her a hug and a kiss. "Harry!"



"Hey, Neville!" Harry, emerging from the library, beamed at his friend. Turning, Harry faced Neville's Grandmother. "Hello, Mrs. Longbottom." Harry extended his hand and was surprised when she shook her head and pointed to her cheek, indicating she expected a kiss instead. Harry obliged, with a quick quizzical glance at Neville, who winked at him.



"Harry Potter, I want you to call me 'Gran', just as Neville does. I've been told by Albus Dumbledore and Neville about the events last summer at the Ministry of Magic. I want to say how proud I am of you two and what you did, fighting side by side with your friends. You made us proud, all of you."



"Oh, well, we were lucky, really."



"Hardly. Also, my sympathies for your loss; I understand we all misjudged Sirius Black."



"Oh...Thank you," stammered Harry, hanging his head, stunned that she would even mention Sirius.



"Now, none of that, young man," she admonished him, putting her hand out and lifting his chin. "Be proud of your godfather; he was a brave and honorable man, who died fighting for our cause, despite how he had been mistreated, and misunderstood by the Wizarding community."



"Yes...I am proud of him," stated Harry, straightening his shoulders and smiling at the tall, formidable woman. "You're right. Thank you. "



"Thank you for forming your D.A. group and being as prepared as you were. Better prepared than the adults in charge at the Ministry, I might add. Fools. I must also talk to Miss Granger when she arrives. I've already had a few words with the Weasleys and Miss Lovegood about your collective efforts.



"Anna," she continued, turning to her hostess, "you /must /keep up your excellent work with the students at Hogwarts, to get them as ready as possible."



"Yes, Mrs...." She saw the arched eyebrow and hesitated, and then smiled. " 'Gran'...we're doing lots of practice and training, so it's my hope they'll be of some help, if and when it's needed," Anna assured her, beaming at Neville and Harry, who nodded enthusiastically."



"Splendid! Now, Harry, I'd like to have a closer look at that Christmas tree I glanced through the front window. It looked massive." She bestowed a smile on him. "If you don't mind?"



"My pleasure...'Gran'," replied Harry with a small bow. "Right this way." He offered his arm. "I've never called anyone 'Gran' before," he muttered, half to himself, shaking his head.



"About bloody time then, dear, and why not me?" Mrs. Longbottom whispered in his ear, and taking his arm, headed for the parlor. "Come along, Neville. Arthur, could you provide me with a drink, please. Scotch, neat," she requested.



"Certainly." Mister Weasley glanced at Anna, who pointed to the library. "Right."



X # X # X



"Where are Ron, Ginny and Luna?" Anna turned to Molly.



"Waiting for Fred and George outside; a snowball ambush, I believe. Anna, your reputation in this neighborhood is about to suffer."



"Nonsense; I might join them, myself," Anna laughed, taking a quick peek out the front door. "Oh, dear, this is going to be interesting. Lots of hiding places around the cars but Fred and George can Apperate from place to place, so they've got a distinct advantage. Harry! Neville!"



"Yes, Anna?"



The two boys came out of the parlor, looking at her quizzically.



"Better get your jackets on and go out there and help Ron, Ginny and Luna make this a fair fight."



Harry glanced out the door. "Oh, wow! Come on, Neville!"



He grabbed both of their jackets and tossing Neville's to him, they shot out the front door and down the stairs to join their friends.



"Let's join Arthur and 'Gran' shall we, Molly?" Anna grabbed Molly's arm and steered her away from the front door. "Let the kids have their fun."



X # X # X



Ten minutes later, shouts, screams and laughter erupted outside #42, as the Weasley twins arrived with Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell. A furious snowball fight raged up and down the street and sidewalks.



Next to arrive were Bill Weasley, Fleur Delacour, Percy Weasley and Penelope Clearwater. Fleur and Penelope rushed up the stairs into the shelter of the vestibule. But, Bill and Percy, being true Weasleys, waded into the thick of it, shouting greetings punctuated with snowballs.



Not two minutes later Charlie Weasley, Tonks and Mad-Eye Moody Apperated onto the sidewalk at the bottom of the stairs. Tonks and Charlie whooped and joined in the melee as Moody stumped up the stairs, through the vestibule, past the two girls and into the front hall.



Remus and Gwen came out of the music room, having heard the commotion outside.



"Hey, Mad-Eye, what's going on?"



"Weasley brats have gone mad in the street."



"What?" Remus took one look and grabbed Gwen hand. "Come on! I'll introduce you two later, Alastor."



Grabbing their coats, they tumbled down the outside stairs and darted off to the left behind the dubious shelter of a Mini Cooper.



"Anna!" Moody bellowed.



"Alastor!" Anna emerged from the parlor, swept up to him and gave him a hug.



"Your guests are running amok out there. Oh, good shot Potter," he added, his magical blue eye tracking the battle, even as he shook off his coat and hung it up.



"Ah, youth," Anna sighed.



"Then why aren't you out there, girl?"



"I'm the hostess. I can't give into childish..." She glanced out the door. "Oh, my God!"




Sign up to rate and review this story