Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Into the Forest

by Emilie_D 2 reviews

Seeing Thestrals.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-25 - Updated: 2006-09-25 - 2209 words - Complete

1Exciting
Hagrid went behind the cottage and returned carrying half a dead cow. "Stay close to us now, Zelda," he warned her.

Zelda's eyes widened at this evidence of his strength, but she followed behind as they walked into the Forest with Harry, discussing the various creatures that were in Hagrid's care. She slowed a bit, pretending to remove a stone from her shoe, and was not surprised to feel her backside pinched smartly.

"I'll go back, if you want me to," she whispered.

"This is a remarkable opportunity for you, my girl, and I will be here with you," Severus whispered into her ear. He was curious to see her reaction to Hagrid's creatures.

She stood up and walked quickly to catch up with the others. The forest light was dim; the trees were immense and ancient, with huge gnarled trunks and long, twisted branches. The place felt more alive to Zelda than any place she had ever been, and she thought that if only she could understand the language of the place... she would then be able to see wonders. Hagrid and Harry had stopped in a clearing, and Hagrid dropped the carcass on the ground, before giving a strange call.

Harry returned to Zelda and said, "Lots of people, magical people, think Thestrals are bad luck. But Hagrid's got this herd that lives here. He's tamed them, and they pull the carriages that bring the students from the Hogwarts Express to school. The sound of large animals moving through brush told them that the Thestrals were arriving, and Harry watched Zelda to see her first reaction to them.

Zelda saw a black head with shining white eyes appear from among the trees at first. As more of the creatures emerged, she realized that Thestrals seemed to be huge winged horses. The head was shaped a little like a horse's head, but reminded her of something else too. The body... she gasped, startled at the odd, frightening picture it presented. The Thestral stepped right up to the carcass on the ground and began ripping off bites. It was rather like watching tigers feed at a Muggle zoo, she realized. The animal had a gleaming black hide that stretched tight over a skeletal form - and huge, bat-like wings. "Is this safe?" she asked quietly, stepping back a pace.

Several more Thestrals appeared, all clustering around the food, and Hagrid looked closely at her, "All right, Zelda?" he asked.

She nodded, wide-eyed. "They're incredible," she said. "And you tamed them?"

Hagrid was impressed that she'd stood her ground. He thought of Petunia Dursley's likely response to Thestrals, and realized that Harry seemed to be right about this Muggle. "Would yeh like ter pet him? This one's Tenebrus," he said stroking the bony shoulder of the first arrival.

Harry's eyes widened at Hagrid's offer, and Zelda asked him, "Shall I?"

"I've ridden one," he said, "and as long as you respect them and Hagrid says it's okay, I reckon it's okay."

Zelda strove to conquer her nerves, and moved forward, acting as though she were going to meet a horse. She was a city girl, but familiar enough with ordinary horses.

Hagrid motioned her to his side, and said, "Firs' let him smell yeh... tha's right, now yeh can pet him."

Tenebrus snorted as she introduced herself, and stood quietly while she stroked his gleaming black neck. Zelda looked him over in amazement, fascinated by the gleaming blank, white eyes, and took in the elegant structure of the huge black wings, which resembled the wings of a bat. She admired the efficient way they were stripping the carcass.

"They'd seem to be the Forbidden Forest's equivalent of vultures," she observed. "Do they only eat carrion?"

"Tha's right," Hagrid said approvingly. This Muggle woman was definitely smarter than many of his students, he thought.

"The shape of the head isn't right for a horse," she said, "but I can't think what it reminds me of."

"'S like a dragon's head," Hagrid said helpfully.

Zelda smiled brilliantly and said, "That's right, it is. Are there really dragons too?"

"Course there are," he replied. "Harry could tell yeh 'bout dragons."

"Wow," she said. "I wish I didn't have to leave, this is the most wonderful place in the world. Thank you for showing me the Thestrals, Hagrid."

They left the Thestrals to finish their meal, turning to head back toward Hagrid's cottage. Fang ran to meet the group, dividing his attention between Zelda and Harry. Severus followed a few steps behind them, trying not to attract the dog's attention. Once he left the trees, Severus began to circle around the group, preparing to return to the castle. He was aware how little time he would have before meeting the Dark Lord that night, and he therefore wanted to spend the rest of the day with Zelda.

Without warning, a huge gray animal crashed through the trees - running straight at Severus as though there were no Invisibility Cloak. Hagrid turned and shouted, "Buckbeak!" He ran between Zelda, Harry and the angry animal, screaming, "Away wi' yeh!" and collided something human-sized that made him crash to the ground.

When Hagrid sat up, he saw Buckbeak looming menacingly over Severus Snape, who lay unmoving on the ground, making eye contact with the Hippogriff.

Harry Potter walked slowly toward Buckbeak and Snape, as Hagrid watched in horror. "Harry, don' get closer," he croaked... but Harry kept on advancing.

"Buckbeak, it's me," Harry said quietly, drawing the Hippogriff's attention to him. Once he had made eye contact, Harry bowed to the beast and waited.

The Hippogriff bowed his head toward Harry, who walked steadily closer and held his hand out to the fierce bird's face, and patted the creature.

Zelda stood motionless, afraid that if she moved or made a sound it might make the monster attack. She watched in amazement as Harry approached the strange creature, and when Harry grasped the chain around its' neck and led it back toward the cottage, she walked shakily to where Severus and Hagrid were staring at each other.

"What was that?" she asked in a trembling voice. She put a hand down to Severus and helped him to his feet, and then stood between them protectively, looking fearfully at Hagrid.

"That was a Hippogriff, my girl," Severus said levelly, eyeing Hagrid apprehensively. He knew how deeply Hagrid had loved Albus Dumbledore, so he fully expected a furious attack to come soon. He tightened his grip on the wand in his pocket and then realized that Zelda had just placed herself between them.

"Are you all right, Hagrid?" Zelda asked as she watched him get to his feet.

Harry came running back toward them, and stopped, standing next to Zelda.

Hagrid looked from the trembling Muggle woman standing close to Snape, to Harry Potter, who was looking pleadingly at him. Then he looked narrowly at the black clad wizard who had killed Albus Dumbledore.

"Hagrid," Harry said, "It's okay. Let me explain, will you?"

"Yeah, well, Harry, I guess you found 'im," Hagrid said inscrutably.

He showed no signs of rage, and seemed remarkably calm for someone who was facing Dumbledore's killer. Zelda saw that Harry was also positioned between the two men, so she turned to Severus. He was fine, it seemed, and her blue eyes were filled with worry as their eyes met.

"Oh, Severus," she murmured anxiously. Her heart was pounding frantically. She had no idea what would happen next.

"Will yeh tell me wha' really happened tha' night?" Hagrid growled, his black eyes scanning Severus's impassive face. He watched as Snape reached for Zelda's hand and held it as if to comfort her.

"The Headmaster asked me to do it, Hagrid, so I did it," Severus said simply. "I cannot discuss more, but I hope you believe that I followed his wishes, and it was... an extremely difficult thing to do."

"An, yeh believe 'im, Harry?" Hagrid asked, looking shrewdly down at this same young man who had previously distrusted Severus Snape since from the time he had first seen him.

"Yes, I do. He's helping us, Hagrid... but no one can know about it except Professor McGonagall," Harry said anxiously.

"Severus, anyone can see you here. Put the Cloak back on, please?" said Zelda urgently.

"Hagrid?" Severus said in a low voice. "I will not try to evade you, but Zelda is right. I must not be seen."

Hagrid nodded slowly, and watched as Severus vanished under the shimmering fabric. Zelda's hand vanished, and the watchers realized that he had taken Zelda's hand. The gesture made Zelda seem to relax slightly and showed them all that he was still among them.

"Hagrid," Zelda murmured, "this is why I can't talk about things, and no one must know Severus is continuing to assist Harry and the Order. If he's suspected, you must know what'll happen to him."

"Wha's it matter ter yeh, Zelda?" Hagrid said.

"It matters," she replied tartly. "Hagrid, the more people who know the whole story, the more likely that Severus will be discovered. Aside from my feelings on the matter, it seems that the balance could tip in a way that's disastrous to you. Please, please let us go back to the castle, and try to forget what you know.

"Harry?" asked Hagrid. "Tell me, d' yeh really trust him?"

Harry glanced to where Zelda stood, her hand still held under the Invisibility Cloak. Lines of worry furrowed her brow, but she remained silent, waiting for his answer.

"Yeah, I do, Hagrid," he said firmly. "I don't think we're going to be able to stop Voldemort without him. Professor Dumbledore was right about him, and I've been wrong and stupid. He's helped me a lot, and so has Zelda."

Hagrid studied the two visible people before him, and realized that they were both poised to defend Snape if he made an aggressive move. "D' yeh mind if I go up ter the castle an' talk ter the Headmistress?" he asked gruffly.

Severus, grateful to be invisible, muttered, "I believe that is wise, Hagrid. Minerva is the only one at Hogwarts who knows what has transpired."

"Come up with us now," Harry said eagerly. "Buckbeak's out back, in the garden, so he'll be okay while you're gone."

So, Harry and Zelda hurried along behind Hagrid as he strode to the castle. They exchanged glances, and Zelda said, "Harry will you go with him to Professor McGonagall? Severus shouldn't be running all over the place, even under that cloak. I hope Hagrid's okay with it, but no one else should know."

"Okay," he replied. "Zelda, Hagrid's my friend. I really think it's okay. He didn't believe it when I told him that Professor Snape did it, not like most of the others."

"I'm going home soon, Harry," she said, "and I want to be alone with Severus before he has to leave. If I don't see you again today, and I go home before you come back again, you know how you can find me, right?"

"Okay, don't worry," he said gently, as they entered the main doors of the school. "Go ahead."

She saw that Hagrid had slowed to wait for them, and said, "Hagrid, Harry wants to go with you to see Minerva, but we're going to part with you here. I hope to see you again before I leave."

He nodded a farewell to her, but before he could turn to follow Harry, a faint whisper came out of the air next to him.

"Guard Hogwarts well," Severus hissed up toward his ear, "I have suspected of late that the Dark Lord will turn his attention to it. Take care, Hagrid."

His eyes flew open in alarm, but Zelda was walking away, and no more was said, so he turned and strode after Harry. He hoped the Headmistress could make him feel better about it.

Without another sound Severus took Zelda's hand and led her back up to her room. As soon as the door closed, he threw aside the cloak and held out his arms to her. Embracing her, he said, "I hope that you will leave here as soon as possible. If, as I am beginning to suspect, the Dark Lord plans to attack Hogwarts, you must be safely away."

"Don't worry about me, Sev, do your job and try to stay alive. I'll be okay," she said gently. She realized that she smelled something delicious, and discovered that in their absence a substantial lunch had been left on the table. "We'd better eat something," she said. "I'm famished, and Minerva seems to be making sure you keep your strength up."

"I am not accustomed to such pampering," Severus said thoughtfully. "It could make one weak and hedonistic."

Zelda rolled her eyes and snorted. "Hedonism is not a concept I associate with you," she replied dryly. "But I think we should have some lunch, and I'll try to think of some way to pamper you shamefully afterward."

He looked into her bright eyes and saw what she had in mind. A slow smile appeared on his face and he said, "I suppose that I am rather hungry, my girl. After you."
Sign up to rate and review this story