Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Time for Severus To Go

by Emilie_D 1 review

Okay, Snape's going back to work. Whew!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-09-26 - Updated: 2006-09-26 - 2982 words - Complete

1Original
Time passed too rapidly, Zelda thought. Minerva had sent up to them a lavish dinner that felt a little too much like a condemned man's last meal, and then had left them alone. When she suggested to Severus that he should bathe, he reminded her that since he was a fugitive, it would be unwise for him to look too comfortable. After dinner, he brought her back to bed and made love to her again, and afterward he fell asleep with his arms locked tight around her.

This time together had given Zelda greater insight into the complicated man with whom she had promised to share her life. The realization that she had fallen in love with, not simply a wizard, but one who carried the fate of his world with him, staggered her. He should probably be with a witch, someone who understands his magic and his world, she thought mournfully. 'This is crazy. But he has enough magic in him for five wizards, and still he needs to be loved so much. And I love him so much...'

Having seen the face he presented to his world, it shocked her that it had been so easy for him to connect with her. The power of a head injury to break down barriers could not be overestimated, she realized dourly. So now, they were together. 'Even if he dies tonight, he's redefined what of I know of myself,' she thought, 'but he can't die...'

She felt tears begin to well up in her eyes, but refused to break down and weep, so she began systematically closing down her thoughts. Through Occlumency, she was learning to discipline her mind and emotions to a degree that she had never imagined possible. It seemed as if she'd need more control than she possessed to get herself through this, and she hoped her constant practice could help her to achieve a shaky equilibrium.

"Severus," she whispered, kissing his lined cheek and rubbing her own cheek against it.

He was instantly alert, and contentedly he rubbed his large nose against Zelda's. Their eyes met, and he kissed her soft lips tenderly. "I have always believed that to be rewarded, one must deserve it ... but I have done nothing to deserve your love, and yet you love me," he said.

"We can discuss the nature of love when we have more time," she said ironically, "but never doubt that you're amazingly lovable. It seems odd that you should love me... to me that's a miracle, but here we are." She ran her fingers through his hair, and studied his face. "I never tire of looking at you, Severus. You can't think of me when you leave tonight, but I'll be thinking of you all the time."

He smiled into her eyes and said simply, "I know it." He pressed his leg between hers, and rolled over on top of her, holding her hands above her head. "If I dare not think of you awake, my girl, perhaps in sleep I shall think of you as you look now." His black eyes feasted on her bare breasts before moving lower, to where he knelt, using his knees pressing her legs apart.

Zelda ran her eyes over the lean body above her, and as he rubbed his hard penis against her belly, she quivered. She squirmed a bit, hoping another part of her body might make contact, but he held her in place, amused at her efforts. "Severus..." she protested, trying to free her hands.

He changed his grip, holding both of her wrists with one hand, and began playing with her breast with the other. "Perhaps you should stop trying to control the situation and accept the inevitable," he said coolly.

"Has it occurred to you, beloved control freak, that I like to feel in control too?" she said distractedly, as his mouth began attacking her breasts.

"I had noticed," he hissed into her ear. "But I also notice that you like, even more, to cede control to me, and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Are you embarrassed to admit it?"

Zelda was panting slightly, no longer from trying to free herself from his grip, but from the frantic arousal he was creating with his free hand. She'd never felt so vulnerable, and she did indeed adore it. She took a shaky breath and said with a happy smile, "Do what you will, oh lord and master." She ceased struggling and gazed at him innocently.

"Excellent, my love," he murmured seductively. A triumphant smirk appeared on his face. "Now, I shall remove my hand, but I expect you to remain very still." He removed his hand from her two hands, and she lay obediently still as he took possession of her body slowly, kissing and sucking his way down her belly.

It became increasingly difficult for Zelda not to move. All she could do was watch him, and feel the results of his actions. She was quivering uncontrollably, and her breathing was ragged. A faint moan escaped her and he glared at her sternly before applying his tongue to more sensitive locations. "Patience, my little pet, and you shall have your reward."

"Little pet, my ass!" Zelda thought indignantly... but by then he was bringing her inexorably to the brink of a shattering orgasm, which he watched with blatant delight. By the time she recovered her wits, she had to admit that dignity was much overrated. She gazed adoringly at him and gasped, "How much did you enjoy doing that to me?"

He smiled devilishly. "I enjoyed it immensely. I never imagined that I would possess such an adorable little plaything." His own arousal was assuming paramount importance, and he slipped his fingers between her thighs again and looked inquiringly at her.

"May I assist you with that?" she purred. She decided to take charge herself, and she pushed him onto his back and straddled him, mounting him before he could stop her. In fact, she saw that he did not intend to stop her, but instead let her do precisely as she would. In fact, she toyed with him, bringing him near to the brink ... and then pausing to begin the process all over again. A guttural moan escaped through his clenched lips, and he gasped, "Ah... do it, Zelda, please..."

Zelda kissed him fiercely, murmuring, "Well, you did say the magic word, didn't you, dear boy?" and she ceased tormenting him and went straight to her delightful work, watching his face as he climaxed a few seconds before she did.

She collapsed on top of him, panting and spent. He wrapped his arms around her and held her close, keeping their bodies joined. "Zelda," he whispered urgently, "whatever comes, we are one, my girl. Now that we have found each other, we can never be truly separated."

Tears appeared in her eyes, but she smiled and said, "My dear wizard. I'll always love you." She pressed her cheek against his and lay unmoving in his arms, memorizing the feel of his body joined to hers.

Severus was doing the same. He knew that if he survived this night, he would go to her when he could, but if this were to be his last moment with her, then he would take this memory with him when he was gone. He held her a moment longer before reluctantly stirring.

"It is time, Zelda," he said gently.

She slowly released him, and sat up. She rested her hand on his chest, feeling his heart pounding, and he did the same to her. There was nothing more to say.

Severus dressed himself in his Muggle clothing, and Zelda once again put on her black work robes. They looked each other over, both amused by the absurdity of their temporary roles. Still without speaking, they embraced each other one last time. As they separated, Zelda ran her hand over the inner jacket pocket and felt the Glock, still comfortingly hidden there. Their eyes met and they shared a wry smile.

"Come along, my girl," he said, aware that his voice was not steady. He put on Potter's Invisibility Cloak, and took her hand.

Zelda wondered where he was taking her, but his hand reached for hers, and then once more they traced their steps toward the Headmistress's office.

At the foot of the hidden staircase, his hand stopped her. "Stay close to Minerva after I leave," he whispered, and she felt an invisible hand cup her cheek, and the familiar feel of his mouth touched her lips, seemingly out of thin air.

Without warning, the gargoyle sprang aside - and they turned to see Minerva McGonagall.

"Come upstairs, Zelda," she said gently. She had no doubt that Severus was there, since he had told her he would not leave Zelda alone when he left Hogwarts.

As they ascended the staircase together, Severus removed the cloak, and found Molly Weasley waiting in the office. He tossed the cloak onto a chair.

"Hello, Zelda and Severus," she said, holding out her hand to Zelda. Molly did not know what she expected their mood to be, but they both looked reserved and calm.

Zelda grasped her hand firmly. "I'm glad to see you, Molly," she replied. "I was hoping to see you again before I leave tomorrow."

Molly then turned to Severus and offered her hand. He took it hesitantly and she said, "Thank you Severus. I appreciate the sacrifices you are making for us all."

Severus could not recall anyone but Dumbledore ever showing such sincere appreciation for anything he had done. A faint tinge of color touched his thin cheek. It took a moment to recover from his surprise - then he managed to calmly reply, "You are welcome, Molly. I am grateful for your willingness to assist us."

Molly studied him kindly. "Will you leave immediately?" she asked.

"Yes," he replied. "I wished to assure myself that all safety measures have been taken here, and I do not wish Zelda to be alone after I have gone." He glanced toward Minerva, and she nodded somberly.

"If we can do anything to help you, Severus, we're here," she said firmly. "In fact, I shall be literally here, I suppose. Minerva has asked me to teach Transfiguration, and subject to Arthur agreeing, I plan to do it."

"I am glad," Severus replied. "I must go now, but knowing that you will be here at Hogwarts and working with Minerva relieves my mind considerably."

He turned to Zelda, holding out his arms, and she threw her arms around his neck.

Minerva was not surprised, when she tactfully looked toward Molly, to see tears in her eyes. It was indeed moving to see the deep affection between the two lovers, knowing that if the night went badly, they would be parted forever.

Zelda caressed his neck, and murmured, "You're one sexy Muggle, you know."

He looked into her blue eyes and said, "You are an utterly lovely witch. I hope to be with you soon, my Zelda." His lips found hers for a last kiss, and then reluctantly they parted.

With a last nod to Molly and Minerva, he left the office without speaking again.

The three women did not move for a moment. Zelda had held back her tears until he had gone, but now it took all of her self-control to master her sorrow before she turned to face the other two.

She turned and said lightly, "I'm glad you're going to be teaching, Molly. I think you'll be great."

"I'm very nervous, Zelda," Molly confessed, eager to avoid speaking of Severus's departure. "Minerva appealed to me for the good of our world, so I agreed, but I'm not sure I'll be up to the job."

"You have expert standing by to help you, Molly," Zelda said with an encouraging smile.

"I can't be Minerva," Molly said tensely.

"Be yourself, and consult when necessary," Zelda said firmly. "I get frustrated when women who've managed to raise their kids feel as though they're not competent. You're smart and organized, so you'll be fine. If you need a pep talk, Apparate to me any time and I'll give you one."

Minerva was considering breaking into dance from the sheer relief of settling her staffing of the Transfiguration classes. She decided to spare the young women, however, and turned to another subject that needed resolution. "Zelda, we must be able to Apparate to you, but the Fidelius Charm is upon your home."

Zelda smiled hopefully at the thought of going home. She felt drained and weary now that Severus had gone, and she wanted to go back to where she understood her world and felt in control. "I told Severus that I'll be at Michael's cabin for a couple of weeks. What if you were to perform the Fidelius there, and set whatever kind of wards you think are needed, Minerva, so you two, Severus and the three kids can come there? Well, and Michael, of course."

"That's a good solution for the nonce," Minerva replied in satisfaction. "Molly, perhaps we shall accompany Zelda tomorrow when she leaves, and do what is needed."

Molly had been watching Zelda closely and saw the lines of strain that had fallen on it once Severus was no longer with her. "Zelda," she said kindly, "You look exhausted. Perhaps you should rest now. This is very difficult for you."

"Thanks, Molly," she answered, rubbing her temples wearily. "I don't know if I can actually sleep, wondering what's going to happen to him tonight. It's so easy to tell myself that he survived the last time, and get my hopes up. But tonight's going to be worse, you know, because they'll... all be there."

The two witches exchanged compassionate glances, and after a moment Minerva said, "Then why shouldn't we stay here and we shall discuss teaching methods. Please sit down. I wish to know what you do with only one group of students, all day, every day."

So Zelda began, half-heartedly at first, to describe what her Muggle classroom was like, and Minerva was rather surprised to realize that she and Zelda had much in common. Zelda set specific rules for her students regarding classroom behavior. She expected hard work from them all and that students would work cooperatively with each other. The consequences were clearly stated and immediately applied to transgressors.

"I find that setting clear and consistent expectations is perhaps the most important thing," said Minerva.

"Absolutely," Zelda replied, growing more enthusiastic. "It may be easier for me, because my students are at a wonderful age. At eleven and twelve, they're still child enough to be excited about learning, but old enough to be able to work hard."

"Our first years are that age, and they seem quite unformed," Minerva said thoughtfully.

"Perhaps because it's their first year at Hogwarts," replied Zelda. "My students are the oldest, and have a fair amount of responsibility to help with younger students. They love feeling grown up and responsible."

"You both love teaching, don't you?" Molly said after listening quietly.

Minerva nodded. She took her satisfaction in the job for granted after so many years, but it was true.

Zelda smiled. "The subjects are important, but equally important is helping them become kind and competent adults, Molly. Not all are clever at academics, but every child is a remarkable individual. I'm privileged to know them intimately for one year, and we develop into a team. Then every year I get a fresh bunch and get to do it all again."

Molly was thoughtful. "Zelda, it sounds like you've combined what Minerva does as a teacher with being a mum. You make teaching sound wonderful."

"You'll be a great teacher, Molly," Zelda said earnestly. "You've taught all your kids, right? As long as you feel confident about Transfiguration, you'll pick it up beautifully."

Minerva studied Zelda closely. She seemed engaged in their conversation, but underneath it she saw frantic anxiety. "Shall we have some cocoa?" she asked, knowing that what she was about to do was unethical, but she would apologize later. She conjured a tray with three cups on it, and poured out cups of fragrant cocoa. They all sipped at their cocoa, but after a few minutes Zelda set her cup down carefully on the tray, leaned her cheek against the back of her armchair... and went gently to sleep.

Molly's eyes were wide. Obviously, the Sleeping Draught had been only in Zelda's cup. "She'll be angry when she wakes up, Minerva," she said sadly.

"I couldn't watch her trying to behave normally while she suffers such anxiety," Minerva replied. "If by remaining awake she could help Severus, I wouldn't have done it, but nothing she does can help him now. We must simply wait and see."

Minerva conjured a stretcher and levitated Zelda onto it. Then she and Molly brought Zelda back to her room, where they Charmed her into a nightgown and tucked her gently into bed. They stood by the bed and watched her snuggle deeper under the covers, seeming completely relaxed.

"She'll sleep until the morning," Minerva murmured in satisfaction. "I hope by then we'll have word that Severus is alive. If that is the case, I am certain she'll be too happy to be angry with us. I've paid little heed to Muggles, Molly... but I confess that I rather like Zelda. I hope that somehow she and Severus..." her voice trailed off wearily as she considered what he was doing that night. It had been much easier having Albus be the one to know how Severus was risking his life as a spy.

"I hope so too, Minerva," Molly Weasley said gently, leading the older witch toward the door. "At least tonight she'll sleep well, and we'll see what tomorrow brings."
Sign up to rate and review this story