Categories > TV > JAG > Love Conquers All

Next Phase of Life

by Ew11581 0 reviews

Mac and Harm finally talk. Chloe deals with the death of her grandma and Mac ends up instant mom to two kids.

Category: JAG - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2020-08-31 - 1815 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hey. Here's the next chapter. Thanks for reading the previous chapter. Hope you enjoy this one.

Mac gave Harm a soft look and replied, "I agree that we do need to talk, but I don't want to have this conversation in a hospital room."
"Ok. I get that. But, we'll talk after we get you home," Harm agreed.
"Tomorrow before we pick Chloe up. I don't want any distractions," Mac suggested.
"Well, that's it, then. I'll take you home as soon as you're discharged, and we'll talke once you get settled," was Harm's solution.
Mac smiled. "Sounds like a plan."
The next morning, the doctor came in and examined Mac. "Everything looks pretty good here. I'm going to approve your discharge on the condition that you have someone stay with you for tonight."
Before Mac could protest Harm quickly spoke up. "I'll be with her."
"Harm! I don't need a baby-sitter. Chloe will be there tonight anyway," Mac complained.
Harm rolled his eyes. "Chloe is fourteen, Mac. She's not going to be able to take care of you like that. I'm staying with you tonight. Besides,it'll will make having our talk easier. I'll already be there."
Mac sighed, but relented. "Ok."
Not long after breakfast, the aide brought in a wheelchair. Mac was wheeled out to Harm's car.
When they got back to Mac's apparment, she was exausted. No one ever gets much sleep in a hospital.
Harm took Mac's hand and stroked it with his thumb as he said softly,"Let's get you into bed. You need to sleep. I'm not going anywhere. We can talk when you wake up."
Mac didn't have the energy to protest, so she allowed herself to be led to her bedroom and tucked into bed. When she awakened, She got out of bed and made her way to the living room. Harm was sitting on the sofa working on his laptop.
"Harriet just called. She called me when she couldn't reach you. She'll bring Chloe over a little bit before dinnertime. She's also bringing dinner for all of us," he explained as he looked up.
"Aww. She didn't have to do that," Mac protested, secretly grateful for a homecooked meal she didn't have to cook.
"She knew you wouldn't feel like cooking," Harm commented.
"So, I guess now would be a good time for our talk," Mac pointed out after a short silence.
Harm nodded and indicated Mac's sofa. The two of them sat as Harm tried to decide how to begin.
He took a deep breath and uttered, "Mac... Almost losing you this weekend awakened feelings in me I was trying to bury. I've been making excuses for years to try and ignore the truth."
"Which is?" Mac pressed wanting him to finally say what she knew was true.
"I love you, Sarah," Harm admitted, causing Mac's expression to soften in response.
Harm continued without giving her a chance to speak. "When I thought you were going to be killed, I realized I can't imagine my life without you in it and I don't want to try. I know it will take you a while to beleive that after the way I've treated you in the past, but I'm done dragging my feet. I'm done dancing around the prospect of a life together. I want to be with you for the rest of my life. I'll take it as slow as you want, as long as there's a chance for us eventually."
Mac held up her hand to stop the rambling. "Harm, stop. I love you, too. You're more than my best friend. I've loved you for years. I was beginning to think you'd never come around. Yes, we have issues we need to work out, but I want to work together to solve them."
"Really?" Harm replied in surprise. He had been certain that he'd have to work harder to prove himself and win the Colonel over.
"Really. Did you think You'd have to convince me more, Sailor?" Mac chuckled.
"Honestly, yes. I thought I'd have to work a little harder," Harm confessed.
"Harm, I've loved you since you shot a hole in the courtroom ceiling. I've just been waiting for you to figure out your feelings for me." was Mac's explanation.
Harm sighed happily as he pulled the woman he loved close. "I love you so much,Sarah McKenzie."
"I love you more than life, Harmon Rabb," was Mac's dreamy reply.
The two stayed cuddled on the couch together for quit some time. Then Harm made them a lunch of Tomato soup and Grilled cheese. After that, the two worked together to get Chloe's room ready. She would be permanently moving into the guest room. After the funerals, Chloe could pick out her own room decor. There were still a couple of hours left before Chloe would return, so Harm helped Mac find out where Lanie had been sent and they went to check on her.
What they found out was heartbreaking. Lanie was in a group home because they couldn't find a family who was willing to take her. She had been shown on the news after the rescue, so everyone knew who her father was.
"I just don't know what to do. She's a sweet kid but no one will give her a chance," the social worker told them regretfully.
Upon visiting the little girl, Mac noticed how dejected she was. She knew why she couldn't be placed. Mac and Harm stayed for an hour before heading back to Mac's place.
Before leaving, Mac hugged Lanie and reminded her, "You can call me anytime for whatever you need. You aren't alone." Lanie just nodded, but she didn't appear to be convinced.
On the way back, Mac turned to Harm and told him, "I want to take steps to foster Lanie. She looked so alone at that shelter. She needs to be taught that not everyone will reject her because of who her father was."
"I know you would be a great foster mom, Mac, but you already have Chloe. Are you sure it wouldn't be too much?" Harm responded skeptically.
"I refuse to let that little girl grow up believing she's a product of her criminal father. She is going to know she is loved," Mac insisted.
"Ok,then. I'll support your decission and help you find a bigger place." Harm promised.
Mac squeezed Harm's arm. "Thanks, Harm. I'll talk with Chloe tonight and then I'll work on starting the process tomorrow."
Harriet, Bud, and AJ brought Chloe back about and hour later and they all ate dinner together. Chloe entertained the little boy and Mac talked to Harriet and Bud about her decision.
"I think it's a wonderful idea. You'll make a great mom, Colonel," Harriet excitedly responded, hugging her friend.
After the Roberts family left, Mac and Harm sat Chloe down to talk.
"So, you know that your dad indicated me as your legal guardien if anything were to happen to him and your grandma. You'll be living with me until you become an adult. I won't be able to take the place of your grandma, but I will love you always and do my best to remind you that you're not alone."
"Ok," Chloe mumbled,trying not to cry.
"It's ok to cry, Chloe. It's ok to be sad and miss your grandma and dad. I'm here for you," Mac assured the teen. That was all it took for Chloe to began sobbing. Mac pulled her close and held her. Harm took one of her hands.
After she had calmed down, Mac sighed. "There's one more thing."
"What?" Chloe asked anxiously.
Mac explained to the girl about Lanie and why she was in a group home. Then she asked if Chloe would be ok with taking the younger girl in.
"Absolutely. Mac, I can't beleive she would be rejected before anyone gets to know her just because her father was evil," was the immediate response.
"We'll have to get a bigger place. It's also going to take some time. It will be a couple of weeks before Lanie can come live with us," Mac informed the young teen.
"So, after the funeral." Chloe realized, looking down.
Mac gently brushed some hair from the girl's face. "Yes. But in the meantime, you and I are going to go to your grandma's house and get your stuff ready to ship back here. We'll bring back some stuff with us, but the rest will be shipped."
"Ok." Chloe answered, feeling a little better.
The funeral was in just a few days. Mac and Chloe drove up for it so they could gather up what Chloe wanted to keep and give the rest to goodwill. Harm joined them the day of the funeral along with Harriet, Bud, and AJ.
Chloe got through her speach before breaking down. Harm helped her off the stage and led her back to Mac who held her for the rest of the service.
"Thanks for coming," Chloe told Harm and the Robertses after the service.
"Sweetie, you're family now. We wanted to support you," Bud said.
Harm stayed with Mac and Chloe and Bud and his family stayed in a hotel. The Roberts family flew home the next Morning, and Harm, Mac, and Chloe left later that day with Jingo. Scout was being brought to DC and would be sheltered in stables outside of town. Chloe would go over each day to care for her horse.
"Maybe Lanie would like to help me," decided Chloe.
"I bet she would be happy to be included," Harm responded to the teen.
After they got back, Chloe was enrolled in school and Harm and Mac returned to work. Over the next week, they looked for a bigger place and finally found a condo with four rooms. Lanie had been told of the plans right before Mac and Chloe left for the funeral and she had been so happy and grateful that someone wanted her and extatic to have a big sister. They had even included the little girl in the house-hunting plans.
They were to move in the following week but Lanie was allowed to come home with them and stay in Chloe's room until that time. Lanie was still suffering PTSD from her time with her father and Chloe and Mac were having some issues of their own. Mac hid hers pretty well but the girls were still suffering at times. Lanie still hadn't been able to process and greive, and Chloe was grieving for her horrible experience as well as the loss of her grandmother. One night, a loud scream rang through the appartment causing Mac to jolt awake. What was happening?!

Well, Mac now has a family and Harm is officially her boyfriend. What will happen next? Tune in later this week to find out. Thanks for reading.
Sign up to rate and review this story