Categories > TV > JAG > Love Conquers All

Free at Last

by Ew11581 0 reviews

The rescue finally happens, but then Chloe needs to be told that her grandma is gone. Harm stays with Mac at the hospital. Will he finally admit his feelings for her? Read to find out.

Category: JAG - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2020-08-28 - 2078 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hey guys. So after posting the previous chapter I realized that because of the time-frame, I made a mistake with the NCIS characters. This would have been before season one started so it will be the cast from the pilot on JAG who is in my story. I fixed it in the previous chapter. Hope you all like this chapter.

(Half and hour earlier.)
Bud and Harm made it to the crime scene in record time. As soon as the arrived they found Blackadder and the kids.
"Daddy!" AJ screamed out.
"It's ok, AJ. Daddy's here." Bud soothed as he ran to scoop his young son up. Harm reached out for Chloe who rushed into his arms.
As he held the teen he looked at Blackadder. "Where's Mac?" he asked tensely.
The NCIS agent looked at him. They're going in to find her right now.
"Mac made me take AJ and get out. She and Lanie are still in there."
"Lanie?" Harm asked in confusion.
"Farmer's nine year-old daughter." Blackadder supplied.
"She helped us." AJ spoke up from his daddy's arms.
"Do we have Farmer?" Harm questioned.
"Dobbs is keeping an eye out." Blackadder informed him.
Suddenly a voice came over her radio. "Blackadder. I see him. He's just driving up. I need back-up."
"I'll be right there." was the immediate reply.
"I'm coming too. Bud, will you keep Chloe with you?"
Bud nodded and Harm ran after Blackadder.
When they reached the spot Dobbs was stationed they both heard the agent called out, "Travis Farmer,NCIS. Step forward with your hands up."
The man spun around and looked at the agents and attorney before immediately taking off across the lawn.
Inside, Gibbs, Chegwidden, Turner and DiNozzo were conducting their search. They were quickly interupted by the goons, but were able to quickly take them down. Leaving DiNozzo and Gibbs to handle the goons Turner and Chegwidden headed through the house calling for Mac.
In the basement, Mac and Lanie heard the voices. Mac recognized the voices right away.
She grinned at Lanie in releif. "Here! We're here!"
A few moments later, Chegwidden and Turner burst into the room. "Mac! Are you ok?"
"I'm better now that you guys got here." the marine replied.
"I don't think she can walk though." Lanie added.
Mac shook her head."It's ok. I think I can make it. Just help me up."
"Colonel, you look like you've taken a major beating. I'm not sure it's the best Idea to attempt walking up those stairs." Chegwidden warned.
Mac scowled. "I'm fine. Please just help me up." Turner and Chegwidden finally obliged, and though the woman was obviously in severe pain, they got her up the stairs as Lanie followed nervously behind.
(present time)
Outside things were pretty crazy. Harm quickly ran after the kidnapper and tackled him to the ground. "Where's Mac?"
"Who?" the evil man drawled with a smirk.
"Sarah McKenzie! Where do you have her? What have you done to her?" Harm demanded getting in slimeball's face
"Is she your girlfriend? Then I'm sure you don't want to know the details of what I've done with that cow." taunted Farmer. At that moment, Harm lost it completely. He began pounding on Farmer over and over, only stopping when he hear Mac call out, "Harm, stop! He's not worth it!" That distract Harm enough that Turner was able to pull him off of the criminal so Blackadder and Dobbs could drag their prisoner to the car.
"Lanie! What are you doing? How did you get out here with them?" Farmer shouted when he saw his daughter.
Lanie coward back behind Mac as Dobbs shoved the man forward and ordered, "Get in the car. You're going away for a long time. Don't worry. Your daughter will be just fine without you."
Farmer started screaming out a string of swear words and demands as he was driven away.
Harm looked at Mac in horror as he took in his condition. "Mac...."
"Harm, stop. It's not as bad as it looks." Mac interrupted, trying to sound convincing. Harm wasn't falling for it one bit. He pulled her close and held her as gently as he could. At that second, the fear, pain, and exaustion from the past twenty-four hours all came crashing in and Mac broke down in her best friend's arms. In order to give the two some privacy, Turner and Chegwidden led Lanie back to the car where she was hugged by two very releived kids.
Harm continued to gently rock Mac back and forth and stroke her hair as he murmered, "It's ok. You're safe. I've got you,Mac. I've got you."
Eventually, Mac calmed down and Harm sighed as he pulled away. He was going to have to tell her the bad news about Chloe's grandmother before they got back to the kids. Mac would need to help him break the news to the young teen.
"Mac, there's something I need to tell you before we get back to Chloe. It's about her grandmother."
"Oh! We need to tell her Chloe's ok. She must be frantic." Mac broke in.
"Actually. We can't tell her. I tried to get a hold of her when you all went missing and she didn't answer. Later, her neighbor called your work line. She had found Chloe's grandmother in her barn, dead." Harm explained sadly.
Mac gasped in shock as her eyes filled once more. "Harm, Chloe has been through hell this weekend. How am I going to tell her that there's no one waiting for her at home?"
"We'll tell her together." Harm assured her as he took her hand.
He gently helped her to the ambulence which had just arrived so she could be checked over. Chloe and AJ had already been checked over and were told they would not need to go to the hospital. Lanie was checked over as well and was now waiting for a social worker to arrive. As soon as The paramedics were finished with their exams, the kids ran over to hug Mac gently.
"Are you,ok?" Chloe asked.
The teen recieved a nod. "I will be. I'll need to be in the hospital for observation tonight because of my injuries."
"Where will I stay until I go home?" Chloe asked. Mac hesitated before saying, "Well, tonight, you'll stay with Bud and Harriet and Little AJ. I'll be coming back home tomorrow."
"Yaaay! We can have a sleepover,Chloe!" AJ squeeled excitedly. Chloe gave him a small smile.
"What's going to happen to me?" Lanie asked anxiously.
"Well, a lady from social services is going to come for you tonight. She'll take you to a foster home for now."
"But Daddy said that social workers are bad!" was the terrified reply.
"Honey that's not true. She's going to find you a good home until we find out if you have any family." Mac soothed.
"I don't. Only Daddy since Mamma died." Lanie told her.
"I promise. Everything will be ok. I'll check on you and make sure you're ok. You won't be alone." Mac promised.
"Ok." Lanie finally conceded, not sounding too convinced. The social worker arrived not long after, so Lanie hugged Mac, Chloe, and AJ and timidly went with the woman. Chegwidden and Turner left shortly after that. After they had all left, Bud took AJ out of earshot so Mac and Harm could talk to Chloe. Mac really didn't want to break the news to her when she was going to have to leave her right after, but Chloe would of course want to call her grandmother, so there wasn't time to wait. The Ambulence left after Harm insisted that he would take her to the hospital as soon as they spoke to the teenager.
Mac sat the young girl down on a porch swing and began, "Chloe, I need to tell you something. While we were being held hostage, Harm got a call from a neighbor of your grandma's."
"What's going on?"Chloe asked, knowing already that it had to be bad news from the looks on Mac and Harm's faces.
"I'm so sorry, Sweetheart. The neighbor found your grandmother on the floor of her barn."
"Did she have another heart attack? Is she in the hospital. I need to go be with her." Chloe demanded.
Mac stroked some hair out of her little sister's face. "Sweetie, your grandma was....dead when she was found."
Chloe stared at the two grown-ups in shock for a moment. "No! You have to be lying! Is this some kind of joke? It's not funny!"
"I wish we were, Sweetie. I really wish we were. I'm so sorry." Mac ignored the pain as she reached for the girl. Chloe recoiled at first, but in her heart, she knew it had to be true. Mac and Harm wouldn't lie to her about something like this. She began to sob as Mac gathered her into her arms as gently as possible. Harm stroked her hair as Mac whispered, "I know. I know. I'm so sorry. I'm here." Chloe eventually stopped sobbing but was then in robot mode. Mac hated to leave her like that, but she had to get medical attention for her injuries.
Harriet arrived just then with Mikey. "Where's my baby?!"
"Mommy!" the little boy yelled as he rushed into his mother's arms. Mikey then took a turn hugging his nephew. Chloe leaned against Harm as she watched the reunions with almost no emotion.
"Harm, I'm worried. She's shutting down. Maybe I should just get my injuries taken care of and go home tonight. Chloe needs me." Mac murmered low enough that Chloe couldn't hear her.
"No, Mac. You need to be taken care off. You need to stay in the hospital tonight. I'll bring you home the second the doctors give the ok." Harm insisted. He then went over and explained the situation to their best friends.
"Of course. Mac need's to go to the hospital. She can't just let those injuries go. We'll make sure Chloe is ok and that she doesn't remain alone."
"Thanks Harriet." Mac replied as she grimiced in pain.
"No problem, but you better go to the hospital now, Colonol." Harriet urged.
"Probably a good plan." Mac admitted.
Harriet instantly gave her friend a careful hug. "I'm so glad you're safe. Thankyou for protecting my son. He told me you didn't let the bad man hurt him."
"I love AJ like he's my own. I'll always protect him with my life." Mac responded.
"That's why we chose you as godparents." Bud uttered.
"We'd better get going." Harm spoke up softly.
Mac sighed. "I love you, Chloe. I promise I'll be back as soon as they discharge me."
"Love you." Chloe responded automatically. She allowed herself to be hugged again before leaving with the Roberts family.
When Mac was finally admitted into a room, Harm was by her bedside.
"Harm, you should go. You have got to be exausted, and I'm just going to be sleeping. You don't have to stay with me all night."
Harm shook his head emphaticly. "Not happening,Marine. I'm not letting you out of my site. I was afraid I'd never see you again."
Mac rolled her eyes. "Harm it's not like I'm going to disappear again. Farmer's in custody and so are his goons. I'm safe."
"Don't even try to argue. I'm not going anywhere until you are safe at home again." Harm ordered. Mac smiled.
"Well, honestly, I'm glad for the company." she admitted.
"Hey, Ninja, there's something I've been wanted to do ever since I saw you tonight." Harm said.
"Oh yeah. What's that?" asked Mac slyly.
Harm leaned in slowly, getting closer and closer until his lips connected with the Colonel's. The stayed locked onto each other like that for a full minute.
When they finally pulled apart, all Mac could say was, "Wow."
"I'll say." Harm replied, letting out a long breath.
"That was amazing." Mac added, finally finding the words.
Harm took her hand and rubbed it with his thumb. After a moment he spoke up, "Sarah, we need to talk."

Well, Harm and Mac finally kissed. Poor Chloe, not having Mac with her after finding out she doesn't have a home to return too. Tune in next week for the talk and to find out what will happen to Chloe and also Lanie. Thanks for reading. Have a great week.
Sign up to rate and review this story