Categories > Books > Peter Pan > hiraeth: return to neverland [a darlinghook fic]

16 | choices

by peitho_x 0 reviews

A deal is struck

Category: Peter Pan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Hook,Tiger Lily,Wendy - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2021-04-01 - 1045 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hook was reluctant to let her go, especially now that her pet wolf had come. But she was dying to go outside and he knew that she would never trust him if he didn't trust her.

So, she could leave, as long as he accompanied her.

Wendy breathed in deeply as she, Blue, and Hook left the cave, filling her lungs with the fresh air. Even though she had only been in the cave for a day and a half, she needed to get outside.

She also needed to get away from the prying eyes of the crew. Hook had probably told them who she was, although she wasn't completely sure. Either way, they recognized her as the one who had killed one of their men.

They were going to scout out the ship, see if they had anyone on guard and how many. Blue stayed close to Wendy's side as they moved through the forest as quietly as they could. He didn't trust Hook yet, and Wendy didn't really blame him.

Suddenly an arrow whizzed through the air and embedded itself in the ground between Hook's feet. His sword was out in a flash, but Wendy gestured for him to stand down. She recognized the arrow as belonging to the Piccaninny tribe.

"Wait!" she cried, stepping forward, in front of Hook. "I know your chief is having you protect me, but I'm not in danger."

To her surprise, it was Tiger Lily herself who stepped out into the open, arrow notched and aimed straight at Hook's chest.

"My braves lost you two nights ago. We feared the worst," she said.

Hook looked between Wendy and Tiger Lily with some bewilderment.

"I'm not in danger," Wendy repeated calmly. "Hook saved my life."

Surprise etched Tiger Lily's face, but she kept her arrow trained on the pirate captain.

"Could I speak with you alone, Tiger Lily?"

The captain, who hadn't moved much through out this exchange, now stepped forward and grabbed Wendy's arm. "What are you doing?" he said quietly.

"Getting you some allies," she whispered back.

"I don't trust her."

"Well, I do."

He frowned, but let her go. Wendy and Tiger Lily moved a little ways away, just out of earshot. The chief regarded Wendy with some suspicion.

"Are you allied with him?"

Wendy glanced back at the captain, who was standing impatiently under a palm tree. "I'm not sure. He saved my life, so I don't think he's a threat to me."

"I told you that days ago."

"I know, and I wasn't sure what to think of it then." Wendy shook her head. "But that's not important right now. The Lost Boys have taken the Jolly Roger, but I assume you know that already."

Tiger Lily nodded.

"Will you help us - them - get it back?"

"I have no love for the pirates, but our alliance with the boys seems to have disappeared," Tiger Lily said, relaxing slightly.

"I don't particularly like most of the pirates either, but it's like you said, Hook and I have a ... connection."

She nodded.

"So, will you help?"

"If we do, I have some conditions."

"Of course," Wendy said, nodding.

"First, no bloodshed. None of the boys can be killed."

"I would have asked for the same."

"And once the pirates have their ship back, they much leave and never return."

"And me?"

"You can go with them, or you can stay. You are no threat to us."

Nodding, Wendy turned to go back. "I'll discuss this with them and come with the response tomorrow, here, at noon."

Tiger Lily disappeared silently into the forest.

"Well?" Hook said as she approached.

"They will help, as long as none of the boys are killed and you all leave to never return."

The surprise that had spread over Hook's face at the beginning of Wendy's news now turned very conflicted. "Kill none, and never come back?"

"You said yourself that there are loads of other islands, why stay here?"

His jaw clenched.

"Peter," Wendy said stiffly, pursing her lips and shaking her head. "this is about Peter."

"Why else do you think I'm here? The scenery? If it wasn't for that boy, I would be anywhere else." He turned and started towards the mountains.

"Come on," Wendy said, hurrying after him. "Can't you just think about it? Just let it go!"

Hook said nothing as he tramped through the underbrush.

"Captain!" Nothing, just the snapping of branches. "Hook!" He just kept walking. "James!" He stopped but didn't turn.

Wendy quickly stepped forward, standing in front of him. "You have let Peter Pan, a foolish little boy, rule you. Your life is filled with plans of revenge, thoughts of hatred. You're letting him win!"

He stared at her. "That's easy for you to say. He stole my hand! He tried to kill me!"

"So did you!" Wendy retorted. "He stole years from me, I waited and waited for him to come back for me and he never did." She noticed that she was shouting and quickly lowered her voice. "But I decided not to waste my time being angry at him, so I've gotten over it. You should do the same and get on with your life."

"If you're so over him, why have you avoided him the whole time you have been on the island?"

She sighed. "Alright, you have a point there." She paused, thinking. "Okay, if you agree to Tiger Lily's terms, my role in the taking back of the Jolly Roger will be being the distraction." She held out her hand for him to shake.

"And after we've taken the ship back?"

"I'll go with you, never to return," Wendy said without hesitation, surprised at how quickly she had made up her mind.

He looked her directly in the eye, gauging whether she was telling the truth or not. Satisfied, he shook her hand. "Alright, if Tiger Lily and her braves can help us get the Jolly Roger back, I'll make sure none of those boys get killed and then we'll leave to never return."

"Excellent," came a voice suddenly from the bushes. Tiger Lily stepped into the light with a slight smile on her face at their surprised expressions. "I accept that deal."
Sign up to rate and review this story