Categories > Movies > Descendants > Reckless Paradise

Chapter Thirteen | Blake Jukes

by peitho_x 0 reviews

An unexpected person comes to Quinn for help

Category: Descendants - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Published: 2021-04-01 - 1387 words - Complete

0Unrated
With Seamus safely stowed in the brig, being watched by Jukes, Jax called a meeting. By the time everyone was on the Jolly Roger, the sky was turning grey. The Crew stood around, rubbing the sleep out of their eyes when Jax and Quinn came above-decks.

Quinn quickly went to go stand with the other Sailors so Jax stood in front of them alone. He took a breath and straightened his shoulders. “You were all here when Seamus challenged my position as captain. Now he is locked up in the brig.” A few murmurs skipped through the group. “This is not because I was afraid he would beat me,” he quickly continued. “Seamus and I fought, though not at the planned time, and at my father’s place, to whom he had gone for blackmail information. Clearly, he was afraid he would be beaten. And he had reason to fear.” He surveyed the group. “He awaits judgment in the brig. Although this is my decision to make, as his actions threatened me and I remain your captain as long as you’ll have me, I do welcome your counsel. But for now, I need time to rest, think and mourn the loss of a valued advisor.” He inclined his head to them slightly and then turned to go back to his cabin.

It was the most serious address Quinn had ever seen him give the Crew. The Sailors were all speaking over each other, trying to search for signs of Seamus’ treachery in the past. She watched his retreating form and saw how his confident posture slouched into something more defeated, right before he entered the cabin.

•••

Jax found Quinn up in the crow’s nest later that night. It had become a favourite spot to think for her, reminding her of being up in the trees of Sherwood.

“So,” he said after a few silent moments had passed between them. “Your mom.”

Quinn looked over at him with a small, slightly sad smile. “Yeah, my mom.” She looked back at the horizon. “You know, when Dad told me about Starkey, I thought he was finally going to tell me about her. I assumed she had died or left, and Dad was too broken up about it to tell me. Now I wonder if he even knew who she was.” She took a breath. “I don’t even really know who she was.”

“Well, he said she was smart, and that you look like her, so,” He grinned. “We know she was ho–”

“Alright,” Quinn interrupted, smiling and knocking her shoulder against his.

“If you want, we can ask around in the original crew to find out more about her.”

“No, that’s alright.” When Jax looked at her, confused, she continued. “I came here convinced that if I knew more about my father, I’d know more about myself, or whatever. And I thought that I’d fit in here better just because I’m the biological daughter of a man I’ve never met.” She shrugged. “And while I do like it here, I’m pretty sure that’s not because of who my father was.” They sat in silence for a moment.

“It’s because of me, right?” Jax said grinning.

Quinn rolled her eyes. “You are indeed a substantial part of why I like it here.”

“My part is indeed very substantial.”

Quinn tried to stifle a snort of laughter. “Oh, shut up. I didn’t say that to boost your already over-inflated ego.”

The silence settled between them as they remembered the other events of the night. Quinn looked over at Jax and saw how his jaw tensed and brow furrowed. “Are you gonna be alright?” she asked.

He sucked in a long breath. “Yeah, probably.”

Quinn turned back out to the horizon and leant her head on his shoulder.

The night darkened and no one came up to talk to them, having the sense to leave Jax alone. From their vantage point, Quinn saw people start to head either to their homes on the island or to the forecastle. Quinn sat up and stretched.

“I’m heading to bed,” she said quietly, putting her hand over his.

He nodded, not taking his eyes off the horizon.

“You need to get enough rest,” she said gently.

He turned to her, his eyes tired. He brought her hand up and brushed his lips to it. “I’ll be right in.”

Quinn smiled sympathetically and leaned in to kiss his cheek before heading down and going into the captain’s cabin. As she slipped into a nightshirt and into bed, she had a hard time keeping positive about everything. She could not imagine being in Jax’s shoes, having to decide what to do about it.

And then there was her mother. While what she told Jax was true: she did not feel like she had to know who Izula was to know who she herself was. But, was she still a bit curious. She liked the story she had created in her mind. Starkey, a charming and cruel man, meeting Izula, a clever woman in a land far from his home.

She liked to think there had been a language barrier at first, each trying to learn the other’s language. Starkey would have resisted his feelings at first but eventually given in. Then after her birth and during the final battle, Starkey and Izula desperately trying to give her a better life.

It was a lovely – though tragic – story in her mind, and likely an at least rose-tinted version of the truth, if not entirely wrong. But she liked her version better.

•••

Quinn woke to a knocking on the door and first thought that it was time for her watch. But when she blearily looked at the clock beside her, it was too early. The knocking continued – urgent.

“Jax?” she asked sleepily. “Just come in, why are you knocking?”

The door opened slightly but it was not Jax poking his head in.

“Blake?” Quinn sat up. “What are you doing? Are you looking for Jax?”

“I, uh, need to talk to you,” he said, his voice sounding slightly hoarse.

“Alright,” Quinn said, a little confused. She got up and flicked on the light. “Well, come in then.”

Blake stepped inside and as the light hit him, she saw how dishevelled he looked. His hair stood on end like he had run his hands through it many times, his shirt was untucked, and his eyes puffy, like he had been crying.

“Are you alright?” Quinn asked, stepping forward. “Did something happen?”

“Yes, something happened: Seamus is an idiot,” he snapped, sitting down on a chair.

Quinn took a seat across the table from him. “I see,” she said slowly. “I don’t see how I –”

“You have to talk to Jax,” he said. “He listens to you.”

“He also listens to Saoirse, who is his first mate, and Seamus’ sister.”

“You’re his fling, Quinn. And Saoirse is such a stickler for perfect loyalty, she’d condemn her own brother to death.”

“Wait, who said anything about being condemned to death?”

“Jax has the authority to kill traitors,” Blake said. “And I’m asking you to convince him not to. I’m not trying to defend what he did, it was stupid but, I –” His voice broke and Quinn could teel her heart aching for him. “I don’t want him to die.”

Quinn moved closer to him and placed a hand on his hand as it fidgeted on the table. “I’ll do my best,” she said earnestly. “I also don’t want him to die.”

He nodded. “And it’s not entirely Seamus’ fault either. His dad’s Smee, the softest, least villainous of the original crew. And his siblings have been able to deal with it, but he always feels like he has something to prove. Like, sure all of us are trying to prove ourselves to our parents, but he’s trying to prove himself despite his and. He tries so hard, and he gets frustrated because others have it easier.”

Quinn listened patiently as Blake babbled on, wondering if he had maybe had something to drink. It was the most non-threatening words she had ever heard from him.
Sign up to rate and review this story