Categories > Movies > Descendants > Reckless Paradise

Chapter Fourteen | The Truth

by peitho_x 0 reviews

The truth always seems to come out eventually

Category: Descendants - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Published: 2021-04-01 - 1923 words - Complete

0Unrated
Quinn had given Jax space all morning to think, but now, with Blake’s pleading eyes fresh in her mind, she had to speak to him. She found him up in the crow’s nest, high above even the highest buildings on the Isle.

He looked out over the Isle, face unreadable except for the sadness in his eyes. Quinn sat beside him and looked out as well.

“You were out late last night,” she said.

Jax nodded.

“Blake came to talk to me while you were out.” She looked over at him.

“What did he want? For me to just let Seamus go?”

“He just wants him to live.”

Jax said nothing.

“Jax, you’re not going to kill him, are you?” Quinn prodded.

“It’s the only way,” he said, voice slightly strangled. “He was right, if anyone finds out about you – and that I knew – the entire Isle will turn against us. We’d be as good as dead.”

“So, we kill him to save ourselves? That doesn’t seem right.”

“Yes, well, sometimes difficult decisions have to be made, Quinn,” he snapped. “This isn’t some fucking fairy-tale.” Regretting his words immediately, he looked over at her. “I’m sorry; I just mean that there are no good options here.”

Quinn sighed. “We both know that the only reason Seamus did this was because of his father. And I know how important it is to you that the kids have a chance to grow up out of their parents’ influence. It’s important to me too.” She took his hand in hers. “I’m sure there’s a way to save him, Jax, we just have to think hard enough.”

It was quiet between them for a bit, until Quinn said, “What if we just told the Crew?”

Jax looked at her, confused. “That is exactly what we’re trying to avoid here,” he said.

“If we ask them not to tell anyone outside of the Crew, maybe they will,” Quinn suggested. “I’ve been here for a year. Don’t they trust me?”

Jax scoffed. “Yeah, but that doesn’t mean they won’t mistrust you when they find out.”

“Isn’t the whole thing here that what our parents did or who they were doesn’t matter?”

“Ideally, yes, but it’s not that simple. You said it yourself. Seamus was driven to this by ambition and the need to prove himself despite his father.”

Quinn sighed. “I trust them.”

“I do too, with most things. I would even trust a few with this. But not all. Seamus has proven that anyone can be disloyal.”

“What if we tell one or two people, like Jukes or Sheela or even Jade even? Or just the Sailors? And then gauge their reactions?”

Jax looked at her and sighed, smiling a little. “You really are determined to see the best in people.”

Quinn stepped forward, wrapping her arms around his neck. “An unfortunate habit,” she said with a smile.

He pulled her close and kissed her lightly. “Life would’ve been a lot easier if you hadn’t shown up,” he murmured. “But it would’ve also been a lot… less.” He sighed. “You brought some much-needed light and softness, Quinn.”

She smiled, burying her face into his shoulder, breathing deeply and wondering how on earth she got in this position. Her livelihood, if not her life, was being threatened by the son of Mr. Smee and Maleficent and yet she was utterly happy, right here, right now.

•••

Quinn decided to tell Jukes first – just to gauge how people would react.

“Hey, Jukes,” Quinn said. They were standing at the railing of the ship in the late afternoon.

“Yeah?”

Quinn racked her brain for a good segue into this conversation. There really was not one. “My dad is Starkey,” she said, making sure to keep her voice down so no one else heard her.

“What?” Jukes was staring at her.

She plowed on, needing to get it all out. “I wasn’t homeschooled on the Isle; I grew up in Auradon – I was adopted there.” She quickly explained how she found out about her heritage and came to the Isle.

Jukes listened in disbelief and took a few moments before responding. “Well, that explains why you knew jack-shit about the Isle and the gangs when you first joined,” they said finally.

Quinn searched their face, looking for any signs of anger or betrayal, but found none. “So, you’re okay with it?”

“Okay? Quinn, you can’t help who your dad is. None of us can.”

She felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. “Do you think everyone will see it that way?”

Jukes shrugged. “Probably. On the Crew, at least.” They looked over at her. “Why are you telling me this now?”

“Because that was Seamus’ blackmail. He went to Captain Hook, who figured it out. He definitely wasn’t happy about it.”

“Well, I’m pretty sure none of us actually like Hook,” Jukes said. “If Seamus thought us knowing about this would make us kick Jax out, he’s delusional.”

“Yeah, clearly,” Quinn said, then brightened. “But this means Jax can just kick Seamus out, without worrying about him telling everyone.”

Jukes nodded.

“Speaking of, I should talk to Blake,” Quinn said, starting to go.

“Hey, Quinn,” Jukes said, and Quinn turned back to look at them. “I’m glad you told me.”

Quinn smiled and went to look for Blake. She found him sitting on the roof of the shop, looking out at the ship. She sat down beside him. “Hey,” she said quietly.

He said nothing but nodded to acknowledge her presence.

“I have a way to save Seamus,” Quinn said.

Blake looked over at her. He still did not look good. His normally calm demeanour was cracking to reveal a scared teenager that hid behind all the posturing. He had not been allowed to visit Seamus – no one was, lest he told them about Quinn – and the absence was not doing him good.

“But first I have to tell you something that… you might not like.” Quinn hesitated. She and Blake had, well, not necessarily grown that close, but had developed a sort of respect and understanding since they first met. But that did not mean that she was not afraid he might react badly to what she was about to say. “Seamus did get blackmail info from Captain Hook, and it’s about me.” She took a breath. “I’m Starkey’s kid, I was adopted in Auradon and raised there. I only found out a year ago and that’s why I came to the Isle.” She said it all very quickly, avoiding his eyes. But as the silence after her words starched, she hazarded a glance at him. His brow was furrowed, but he did not seem like he wanted to throw her off the building, so that was good.

“Starkey, as in the traitor, who sold us out,” he said slowly.

“Yes, apparently, he negotiated that I would be raised in Auradon in exchange for his information.”

“So, really, you’re the reason we were defeated?”

Quinn did not like the way the conversation was going. “Indirectly, I suppose, but it’s not like I could do anything about it.”

“So, you left your perfect princess life to play VK gang member for a little while?” There was an edge to his voice now.

“Auradon isn’t perfect, it has its problems,” Quinn protested.

“Not as bad as here, I’ll bet.” His voice rose. “Is this like a vacation for you? A gap year? A way to experience the world before going back home?”

“That’s not what this is!” she exclaimed.

“Then what is it?” he snapped.

“I – I thought I’d belong here. Independent thinkers don’t do well in Auradon,” she said. “I thought I could be myself without worrying about what people thought. And I was right – kind of. Everything goes here, as long as you’re brave or stupid enough to try it. Talent and skill are what gets you places, not who your parents are.”

“So every place has its pros and cons, what a novel idea,” Blake said dryly.

Quinn huffed. “Besides, I’m stuck here, so it doesn’t really matter whether my decision to come was rational or not.”

“Wait, this was the blackmail?” Blake asked, getting back on the track of their conversation. He shook his head. “I told Seamus he was being stupid, challenging Jax, but this is ridiculous.”

“So, you’re not going to try to kick me out or turn everyone against me?” she asked cautiously.

Blake looked over at her. “As much as I hate to admit it – and if you tell anyone, I will deny I said it – you’re an asset to the Crew and I value your presence here.”

“That almost sounded like you’re saying I’m your friend,” Quinn said, allowing a small grin onto her lips.

“Don’t push it,” he said. “So, how does any of this save my idiot of a fling?”

“If we tell the Crew about me, he’ll have no blackmail,” Quinn explained. “So Jax won’t have to kill him to protect his position. We’ll make sure no one takes him seriously in case he tries to go to someone else.”

“He’ll be on his own,” Blake murmured.

“But he’ll be alive,” Quinn reminded him. “And besides, he’s smart, I’m sure someone will want him on their team.”

Blake nodded. “Thank you, Quinn, I owe you, big-time.”

•••

So, the next day, the Crew was assembled for another meeting – to decide the fate of Seamus.

“Before I make my decision on this matter,” Jax said. “There is something important you must know.” He gestured for Quinn to come to the front.

She had rehearsed many times, and the words flowed naturally as she explained how Seamus had figured out about her father, her growing up in Auradon and coming to the Isle. “I realize that this is a lot to take in,” she said, seeing the shifting eyes and muttering. “But I am telling you all because I trust you. The Crew has been my family since I arrived on the Isle and I will repay that with loyalty to each and every one of you. I can only hope that you will trust me in return and not blame me for my father’s actions.”

Jax stepped back up to the front, taking his place beside Quinn. “And now that Seamus holds no blackmail over us, I sentence him, not to death, but banishment for the Crew. I will not forbid anyone here from associating with him, just know that he will never, as long as you will have me as captain, be a part of the Crew again.”

The majority for the Crew seemed satisfied with this decision. Blake, standing at the back, breathed a sigh of relief.

Of course, Quinn could not avoid the questions about Auradon, so she answered them as patiently as she could. She told them about Sherwood and Auradon Preop and the Underground and al the other things they did not show on the grainy news footage you got on the Isle.

Blake had disappeared with Seamus, already reproaching him for his foolish decisions. Jax hung back, looking content – satisfied that everything had turned out so well.
Sign up to rate and review this story