Categories > Books > Phantom of the Opera > Undeniable

Chapter Three

by operaghostangst 0 reviews

Fate has a funny sense of humor

Category: Phantom of the Opera - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Erik - Published: 2021-07-26 - 1257 words

0Unrated
Things had been tense in more ways than one. No one could spend so long in a small space with other people without becoming at least a tiny bit annoyed. Antionette knew that before but she'd learned this lesson a million times over. She found herself to be the subject of Erik's ire whenever Christine had to rush off to empty her stomach- something that had not been an issue a few weeks ago.

It didn't help that the trip was taking a little longer than usual due to some unexpected weather on a few of the previous days. She ignored the glare she was getting and did her best to focus on the rather lengthy letter she'd be sending to Meg whenever they finally arrived.

Christine finally trudged back, looking more than a little miserable. She didn't even look at Antionette, she simply dropped herself onto the hammock and leaned into Erik. The man's expression softened almost immediately and he ghosted a hand down her arm, rubbing it gently. She nuzzled closer and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Could this be sea sickness?" Christine wondered aloud, her voice weak. It tugged at Antionette's heart strings but it wasn't enough to dampen the bitterness. Erik shrugged helplessly, though it was already rather obvious that that he was irritated that he didn't have an answer for her. Not a helpful one at the very least.

"Keep an better eye on your cycle, Christine." Antionette cut in, her tone neutral. It might not be pregnancy, but she was going off of what she experienced when she carried Meg. She hadn't out right denied the potential of it being simple as her just being sea sick, but they would've noticed something like that much sooner. It wouldn't have taken so long to come on.

"..Alright.." Christine murmured, pushing away from her man suddenly. Both of their faces had paled after her words-though for entirely different reasons. This was proven by the younger woman leaping to her feet and scurrying away once more, slender hand clamped over her mouth.

Antionette stood and made to follow after Christine, if only to make sure she didn't collapse on the way back. However before she could leave, she was stopped by a firm hand around her arm. She glanced over her shoulder and sighed deeply when she found herself looking into dark, angry eyes. No, he was more than angered. He was infuriated.

"We must speak in private and Christine is going to need some rest." He prompted, his tone harsh and unforgiving. It was best to resign herself to whatever she would be dealing with this time.

"Very well. Follow me." She uttered monotonously, jerking her arm away from him. She walked off without waiting for a response. She didn't need one as she could sense his presence right behind her. She only stopped when they were out of view and earshot.

He didn't speak right away, jaw jumping as he mulled over his words. It made her both impatient and uncomfortable. He hadn't wanted to speak alone and until she had mentioned Christine's cycle. For the life of her, she couldn't figure out what had angered him so much.

"Well? Are you going to speak, Monsieur?" Antionette demanded coolly, feeling more confident than she truly was in this moment.

It got her a rather nasty look and the man wrapped his hands around the railing, gripping it tightly. She instinctively took a step away to create distance between them.

"Do not and I repeat, do not put the idea of children in her mind. It shall never happen." Erik finally spoke, his tone final. She bristled in response. Even if she wasn't too happy with Christine and her choices, she felt the need to at least try and fight this battle for her.

"What if Christine should already want to have some with you?" Antionette spat, arching an eyebrow as she waited. She leaned a little more heavily against the side of the ship, grip tightening on her cane just in case he forgot himself.

"Then I suppose she shall have to forget these desires. I refuse to burden her with my demon spawn. I simply will not bring a child like me into the world and have them suffer the way I have." Erik nearly raised his voice, just barely stopping himself from making a scene with a statement such as that.

Antionette could see that it was a losing battle. There was not much that could change Erik's mind when he'd made a decision. Except for maybe Christine and for once, she wasn't very confident in her abilities to do so. However, she did have one more argument.

She straightened up and dusted off her clothing, buying herself some time before used it. She took a couple more steps back to create even more distance between them- for both of their sakes this time. "Monsieur, I do have a rather important question. What are you going to do if she is pregnant already? It is a possibility, especially if she does not receive her monthly." She informed.

Erik had just started to relax when she pointed this out. How quickly he stiffened and whirled on her should've concerned her and it did. However, she already showed as much weakness as she cared to. Backing up was enough. There would be no trembling or apologies.

Unlike the fools that had run the opera house, she was only afraid of him when he gave her a cause to be and he had yet to do that recently.

"Surely you are old enough and aware enough to realize that there are ways of handling such a mistake. Now excuse me, I have a sick woman to get back to." Erik snarled, turning on heel. He was gone before she could even register such a claim.

Not only was such a suggestion scandalous but it wasn't exactly sensitive either. She doubted he'd ever be able to convince Christine to go along with something like that.

For the sake of the poor woman, she hoped that it truly was anything but pregnancy.

The nausea never fully seemed to go away. Some days were easier on Christine than others and some had her laid out in the cot, having just enough energy to conversate with Erik. Thankfully she found that Erik was more inclined to ignore her now. Most of his focus remained on Christine, often stroking her hair and offering to go get her things when needed.

They'd just arrived at their destination this morning, but they decided that waiting until later on was best. There would be less of a crowd and it would be easier for them to figure some things out.

Antionette walked ahead of them, Erik clearly insisted upon keeping pace with Christine. Clearly the man was more whipped than she'd ever assumed. Ignoring them was easier than usual as they weren't talking for once.

"Christine, are you okay?" Erik questioned, slowing to a complete stop. This caused her to turn around, realizing that the younger woman had seemingly slowed even further given that Erik was a couple feet in front of her now.

"Erik...?" Christine managed, her tone breathy. This was the only thing she could say before she crumpled. Erik dove forward and caught her. He slid his arms under her legs and despite the awkward hold, he managed to heft her up into his arms.

It seemed that they'd have to find a doctor before they did anything else.
Sign up to rate and review this story