Categories > Theatre > Rent > Someone to Live For

To Music

by minkhollow 0 reviews

In which Mark has something to show Angel.

Category: Rent - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Angel, Mark - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-09-28 - Updated: 2006-09-29 - 694 words

0Unrated
Someone to Live For
To Music

------
In which Mark has something to show Angel. Late spring of Mark's junior year of college.

DISCLAIMER: Not mine; just borrowing. Will return when finished.
------

It's getting pretty warm out, in the afternoons, but that's infinitely preferable to sitting around in the cold. And as far as Angel can tell, spring's thawed out people's pockets a bit as well; at a guess, he's got about ten dollars from today's round of drumming. Sure, most of it's in quarters or dimes, but it's money. And more importantly, he didn't lose his creative drive to higher education.

Mark should be back from his classes by now - as far as Angel knows, there aren't any big filming endeavors going on at the moment - so he just picks up the old pickle tub he found last summer and heads home. It's cheaper and more portable than a proper drum set, and since Angel's really only playing for himself these days, he sees no need to be formal about it.

Sure enough, when he gets back to the loft, Mark's already there, stringing a clean sheet across the wall.

"Well, this is interesting."

"Come over here, Angel. Got something to show you."

Angel had suspected Mark was setting up for a screening; he's done the sheet rigging before, and to good effect. But he's not usually so adamant that Angel needs to watch. That usually goes without saying. This must be something special, then.

So he sets the pickle tub down out of the way, and then settles in on the couch while Mark gets the projector into place. Once the film's ready to go, Mark starts it and sits down next to Angel.

The film, as it turns out, is about ten minutes of... well, Angel. He knew Mark had filmed him a few times over the last year, while he was out drumming, but not this much. It's a little abstract, thanks to the sheer variety of angles and lighting situations, and the music's utterly separate from the action, but it's very, very neat.

"That was lovely."

"Final project for one of my classes," Mark says. "We had to show the same subject at a bunch of different times over the semester. Didn't figure you'd mind if I filmed you."

"Oh, I never mind, honey. To be honest, I don't even notice most of the time."

"I'd be worried if that weren't part of the idea."

"Like you have anything to worry about. How'd it go over in class?"

"The prof loved it. So did everyone else. One girl wanted to know if she could get a date with you."

Angel grins. "Too bad for her I'm not even interested in girls, isn't it?"

"Well, maybe you could trade skirts - she's got some interesting stuff. But I didn't exactly mention that."

"You're very silly sometimes, love."

"You love me anyway and you know it."

"Of course I do. How could I not?"

"Whenever I offer to come up with reasons you just say you won't believe it, so I just won't even try this time."

"You learn quickly."

Mark shrugs. "If you say so. I just want to see you happy."

"I do say so." Angel leans over and kisses Mark. "And here I am, happy as could be, and it's all your fault."

"What, all of it?"

"Near enough. This whole New York thing wouldn't be half so much fun without you around, I know that much."

"Couldn't let you do it alone. Not if you'd rather have me around."

It occurs to Angel that this whole conversation would probably sound beyond cheesy to much of anyone else. Collins would almost certainly be teasing them mercilessly, were he here. But they both mean every word of it and they both know that, so it doesn't matter how silly it sounds.

"So," Mark says, "want to do anything else this evening?"

"Not really. Truth be told, I don't even want to move at the moment."

"Fair enough." Mark leans back enough to turn off the projector. "Guess we won't, at least not until we need to eat."

"Works for me, love."
Sign up to rate and review this story