Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Saying Farewell

by Emilie_D 1 review

Zelda gets ready to go back home.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-29 - Updated: 2006-09-29 - 3587 words - Complete

1Original
The dawn found Severus Snape inside the Shrieking Shack. He conjured parchment and quills and wrote two brief notes. He summoned one of the school owls, which he had spotted perched on a nearby dead tree, and sent the message to Hogwarts. Zelda was still there, probably sleeping in the bed they had shared. He did not want her even to be glimpsed by his Death Eater subordinates. He was tired, but would not sleep until he had accomplished what he could. If his plan worked Hogwarts would be made safer than before, but there was much to be done. He stepped cautiously into the cool morning air, glanced around, and then Apparated away.

Minerva McGonagall had slept a few brief hours, but the dawn found her pacing restlessly in her office. The next battle would begin in earnest soon. Hogwarts, according to logic and to Severus Snape, was the prize that Lord Voldemort desired above all others. When an owl bumped against the window, she opened it and pulled the parchment from the bird's leg. There were two small scrolls rolled together, and the inner one was addressed to Zelda. The other, she opened cautiously.

Twelve hours. Trust no one.

Minerva breathed deeply. Soon she would be able to plan her defenses. She turned to Dumbledore's portrait.

"It is from Severus," she said, her voice breaking slightly from relief. "He's alive."

Dumbledore smiled gently at the anxious witch. "Every time he would go, I wondered if he would survive. He is a remarkable young wizard, Minerva. I am glad you appreciate him."

"I don't know if there is a chance for us without him, Albus. It looks bad," she said.

"There is always hope," the white haired wizard chided, "however, Severus is a powerful ally."

"Albus," she said hesitantly, "What do you make of this... affair of his, and of Zelda?"

A hiss from Phineas Nigellus's blank portrait made the portrait Dumbledore's blue eyes twinkle. "The sight of a happy Severus Snape pleases me," he said. "I believe he is stronger for being so loved that even he cannot doubt it."

"I worry that he will be distracted by thoughts of Zelda," she confessed. "She is no giddy girl, making selfish demands, but still..." her voice trailed off uncertainly.

"Trust him," Dumbledore advised. "Severus has not failed me, not even in the Astronomy Tower. There I asked the unthinkable of him and he honored my request, although he believed it a mistake."

Phineas Nigellus reappeared in his portrait and cleared his throat.

"Phineas, I do not need your opinion of Zelda," Minerva said tartly.

"Really?" he responded, one elegant black brow arching skyward. "Well, I do not generally give opinions unasked," here he was interrupted by loud guffaws from his neighbor portraits. "But I should say that if she were not a Muggle, she would likely have been sorted into Slytherin."

Silence followed his pronouncement. Minerva looked at Dumbledore in amazement.

"I am afraid I do see what Phineas sees," Dumbledore said with a chuckle. "However, Zelda's cunning is something that has been acquired through bitter experience. And although she is capable of dissembling, she is without malice."

"Albus, you were still sleeping when I learned this, but Zelda does have magical ability. She is a natural Legilimens, and she is not the only Muggle with this ability. She helped Potter to learn it." Minerva gazed at the portrait in confusion. "Have you ever heard of such a thing?"

"Ah, I wondered how Harry had become Legilimens enough to try Severus," Dumbledore said thoughtfully. "We shall consider it, Minerva, but I see there is another note. Perhaps you should let young Zelda know that Severus is all right. When you return we shall speak more."

The portraits all resumed their customary sleep positions, and Minerva would learn no more from them until later. She realized that Dumbledore was right. After dosing Zelda with a Sleeping Draught the previous night, she must make amends by telling her that Severus was well. She hastened from her office to Zelda's guest room.

The Sleeping Draught had obviously begun to wear off. Zelda was still sleeping, but she was tossing restlessly.

"Zelda," Minerva said softly, "are you able to wake up?"

Zelda bolted upright, and her eyes flew open. "What's happening? Minerva?"

"Don't worry," Minerva said soothingly. "Zelda, last night I gave you a Sleeping Draught. Now it is morning, and Severus has survived the meeting. Here, he sent this to you." She held out the small scroll to Zelda, who stared confusedly for a few seconds, and then reached for it.

Zelda shook her head irritably. She couldn't remember coming to bed, couldn't remember much of anything clearly after Severus had left... but her eyes began to focus, and she saw her name written in a narrow, precise hand on the tiny scroll. She unfurled it cautiously.

My Zelda,

We will be together soon.

S


Minerva watched Zelda read the short message, and saw tears of relief begin to roll down her cheeks. Zelda looked up at her and said, "Thank you."

"Go back to sleep, Zelda," Minerva replied. "You shall breakfast in the Great Hall and then return to your home. But rest now, Severus is all right."

Zelda smiled weakly, still somewhat under the potion's effect. She snuggled back into her pillow and fell asleep holding her scroll.

Minerva smiled, reassured that Zelda would forgive her small deception the night before. She went to prepare for her absence in the latter part of the day.

An hour late, Zelda woke slowly and reached for Severus before she remembered that he was no longer there. It was scary how fast she had gotten used to sleeping with him, she realized with a pang. She found the small scroll and suddenly remembered Minerva's early visit. She unrolled the bit of parchment and read his words again. 'I've never seen his handwriting before,' she thought, confused again at how instinctively she was drawn to Severus.

She got out of bed and headed for the bathroom, wishing to be ready when it was time to leave. Hogwarts was a fascinating place, but these rooms reminded her so much of Severus that it was painful. When she was dressed in her black robes, she quickly packed her things and was ready when someone knocked on her door. She opened it, expecting Minerva, but was startled to see Molly Weasley.

"Good morning," Molly said briskly. "As you see, Minerva removed the Charm on this corridor. We'll go to breakfast shortly, but I wanted to talk a bit. Not about the Order, we'll talk about that later. But I'd like to... escape from it, I suppose. I'd like to get to know you, Zelda."

"Come on in," Zelda said, her eyes brightening. "I know what you mean. All this stuff, the war, the strategies, all of this intensity is horrifying. I think it must be easy to forget what real life is like, and why it all matters."

"I think that's it," Molly replied. "My life's changing so fast and my brain can't keep up. Arthur and I agree that I should work with Minerva, but when we told Ginny, only that I've agreed to teach, she was furious. I shouldn't let the fate of my world be less important that my spoiled daughter's tantrum, but it's hard."

Zelda chuckled and she gave Molly an impulsive hug. "I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you," she told the startled witch. "That's what the great leaders and brilliant men don't grasp, that it 's the little daily things that can get you down. Of course Ginny's furious, she's sixteen and probably as tough-minded as you. She knows you'll do your best to ruin her fun."

Molly's lips twitched into a reluctant smile. "She's not supposed to be having fun," she said, trying to look grim.

Zelda eyed the witch cynically. "Did you have fun when you were at Hogwarts?" she asked innocently.

Their eyes met, and then they both laughed ruefully.

"She's the baby," Molly explained.

"And the only girl," Zelda said, "and in spite of having been girls ourselves, we still see them as the babies they once were and expect them to be innocent. It's terrifying, isn't it?"

"This is what I can't talk to Minerva about, or even Arthur," Molly confessed. "I'm afraid to know what she's up to, even though it's probably harmless, but I don't want to act like a mother and embarrass us both."

"Suck it up, Molly," Zelda said in a mock-stern voice. She eyed the witch speculatively, wondering if she should meddle, but the mother in her couldn't help it. "Um, I know almost nothing about your daughter's school life, but..."

Molly's eyes flew to Zelda's face. "What?" she asked nervously.

"Well, if you didn't know before, you'd quite likely hear it once the fall term begins. Severus mentioned to me that Ginny and Harry were, um, I believe his words were, 'snogging all over Hogwarts' last spring." Zelda watched a range of emotions pass over Molly's face.

"Ginny and Harry?" Molly's delight was evident. "That's wonderful, Harry's already like a member of the family!"

"Molly, you can't say a word!" Zelda said firmly. "Remember who Harry is, and what he has to do. I watched them when I visited the Burrow, and I'd bet he's nobly dumped Ginny for her own good. They're still only kids. And when Ginny realizes that you know, what'll her reaction be?"

It took only a moment for Molly to process it, and her lips clamped shut tightly.

"If you can't stand it, tell me about it, okay?" Zelda said. "You'll feel better getting it off your chest, and maybe you can leave Ginny alone. Now, enough of that, where will you and Arthur live?"

"That's another thing that's hard," Molly confessed. "Minerva wants as many people here to defend Hogwarts as possible, and Arthur agrees. So we'll close the Burrow, and check on it during our free time, but move to Hogwarts for the duration. I don't want to leave my home, Zelda."

Zelda sighed. She could imagine how hard this was for Molly. "It's a real sacrifice for you, the queen of your castle, to come and live at Hogwarts. But at least you'll have Arthur with you and you'll see Ginny every day."

"I'm sorry to come whinging at you," Molly said, looking quite downhearted. "You have enough to worry about."

"It's usually easier to solve someone else's problems," Zelda replied. "Anyway, I'd like it if we can be friends, and that's what friends do, Molly."

A warm smile lit Molly's face. "I'd like that too," she said. A distant bell made her jump and she said, "It's time for breakfast. We should go."

As they began to walk, Zelda said cautiously, "Since I'm leaving soon, I won't go into the whole Muggle explanation with everyone, okay? Hagrid knows and Firenze does too. But I'd rather not tell anyone else, okay?"

"I think you're right," Molly replied.

"Um, Molly? Before I go, I doubt that Firenze shows up for meals, but I'd really like to see him before I leave. D' you think that's possible?" Zelda asked, looking shy.

Molly stared at her. "I suppose so, but why?"

"I didn't know until now that centaurs were real. He knew before I said a word that I'm a Muggle, and he seems so... amazing."

"Since I'm now on the staff, I should also meet him," Molly said thoughtfully. "Minerva can probably tell us how to find him."

Breakfast was not well attended. They found Hagrid and Professor Flitwick already seated, and the Headmistress arrived at the same moment.

"Good morning," said Minerva graciously. "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"

The ceiling of the great Hall was a brilliant, unbroken blue, glorious to behold, thought Zelda.

"Hagrid, Filius," Minerva pronounced, "I'm quite sure you know Molly Weasley. She has agreed to teach our lower level Transfiguration classes this fall and I'm delighted that she is joining us."

"That's splendid, Mrs. Weasley," Professor Flitwick said cheerfully. "I remember you from your own school days, and have enjoyed teaching all of your fascinating youngsters. I believe that you taught them at home before they came to Hogwarts?"

"That's true," she said blushing slightly. "I know that they can be, um... challenging."

Hagrid laughed. "They sure can be," he said jovially, "but they're a clever lot."

"Thank you," Molly said. She had not considered she would become closely acquainted with her children's teachers, and wondered what she might hear. The specter of Fred and George rose before her eyes, making her feel suddenly faint.

The appearance of food was a welcome distraction. They all ate in comfortable silence, which was suddenly broken by the appearance of Professor Slughorn.

"Good morning to you all," he said graciously, seating himself and reaching quickly for the nearest platter. "I did not expect to be greeted by such visions of feminine loveliness as I break my fast." He looked piercingly at Molly.

"Horace, you remember Molly Weasley, Molly Prewitt that was," Minerva said. "She has kindly agreed to teach Transfigurations this coming school year."

"Excellent, excellent," he murmured, gulping down a swig of orange juice as if he desperately needed calories. "Welcome to Hogwarts, Mrs. Weasley."

Zelda was gazing around the Great Hall, trying to memorize it. She wanted to be able to tell Michael all about it. She was fascinated to see a portrait of Albus Dumbledore on the wall, closely watching the goings-on at the staff table. He winked at her, and she dragged her attention back to the table before her.

"Mrs. Larsson," Professor Flitwick said, "We have not seen much of you recently. Minerva must be keeping you very busy."

"I've been keeping quite irregular hours," she said, blushing slightly when she met Hagrid's knowing gaze. "I did manage to see Hagrid's Thestrals, however. They are absolutely amazing creatures."

Hagrid's face turned a pretty shade of crimson then, as he was not used to hearing his beloved magical creatures described in such glowing terms.

"Several of us have wondered, Minerva," Professor Flitwick continued relentlessly, "since you hired Mrs. Larsson to update the Muggle Studies curriculum, if you intend her to fill the position."

"Oh, no!" Zelda exclaimed, barely stopping herself from spraying orange juice all over the table. She should have known how gossip flourishes among a teaching staff. "I'm promised at my current school for the fall term."

Minerva controlled her guilty expression carefully. She had actually toyed with asking Zelda to take the position. Who better to do justice to Muggle Studies than a Muggle? It would not do, however. She worried about the woman's safety while she was at Hogwarts and had seen how she longed for home when Severus was no longer with her.

"I have several candidates for that position," she said firmly. "Now that Molly has accepted the Transfiguration position I shall turn my attention to Muggle Studies."

Silence fell over the table again, unbroken except by Professor Slughorn's requests to pass something. When they were ready to leave the table, Minerva turned to Molly and Zelda.

"I believe we should meet at ten," she said. "Is that convenient?"

"Perfect," Zelda replied. "Um, Minerva? Where would I find Firenze?" She became aware of Horace Slughorn listening to them, and blushed slightly. When he saw her notice him, he bowed slightly and left the Great Hall.

"His classroom is very near here, on this level," Minerva replied. "I'm sure Hagrid would be happy to show you."

Indeed, Hagrid had been loitering nearby and seemed very interested in speaking with Zelda and Molly. As Minerva headed for her office, Hagrid ushered them out through the great doors and into the sunshine.

So yeh want ter see Firenze?" he asked curiously as they stepped out into the sunshine. "I'll take yeh there, but I wan' ter speak to yeh firs'."

Zelda stared intently at him. He was one of a small number who knew the truth about Severus, and she didn't know what to say. She knew he had seen Minerva the previous day, and wondered what they had spoken of. "Okay," she said cautiously.

His black eyes were twinkling. "Don' worry," he said in a powerful whisper, "S' all right."

He led them to a bench down near the lake and the women sat down. "Yer an interestin' woman, Zelda," he said thoughtfully.

"For a Muggle?" she inquired with a cynical look.

"Now, don' look like that," he said, hurt. "I din' mean nothin' bad."

"I'm sorry, Hagrid," she said, realizing that he seemed truly hurt by her question. "It's just that people here have awful ideas about Muggles, and the more people who know, the worse it'd be. I can't just be Zelda, I'm 'A Muggle,' and that feels icky."

"I jest wan' ter thank yeh," he said earnestly. "Yeh don' have ter help us, an' it mus' be scary for yeh here." He held his huge hand out to her, and she put her small one into his. He shook it, and continued, "If I kin help yeh, I will."

"Thank you, Hagrid," she said, and her eyes were teary. "Please, help Severus if you can. No one knows what he's done for your side and he's all alone. I'm going home today, but I'm so worried about him."

Hagrid nodded reassuringly. "I'm glad ter know the truth of it. I din' quite believe it, yeh know."

"Everyone still believes it, and they must go on believing it, Hagrid," Molly said warningly.

"I know, Molly," he said bracingly. "An' I'm real glad yeh decided ter come ter Hogwarts. We can use a smart witch like you here, if it comes ter fightin'. You'd be a great teacher too."

Zelda rose. "I'm leaving soon, and I want to find Firenze first. Do you know where he might be now, Hagrid?"

The half-giant nodded. "He's banished from his herd, but sometimes he goes to a clearin' near my hut. This way," he said leading them toward the Forbidden Forest again.

"Why do you want to see Firenze?" Molly asked as they walked in the sunshine.

"I just... at first glance he looks like he's human, at least that part of him. I only saw him for a moment, but he seemed so different, like he knows things that I can't imagine," Zelda replied hesitantly.

"He won' tell yeh much," Hagrid said warningly. "Don' get yer hopes up."

"That's okay," Zelda said with an ironic smile. "Why should he tell me anything? I'm just amazed that he's real. Hagrid, can you imagine what it's like to be a Muggle, wishing that magic were real, even if you can't see it or experience it? That was me, but now the magical creatures I was told were imaginary are real. It's just... wonderful," she finished lamely.

Hagrid stared appraisingly at her, but she returned his look honestly, and he seemed reassured. "Righ' over here," he said.

A movement at the edge of the trees attracted their attention, and the blond-palomino centaur stepped out of the trees.

"Ohhh..." Molly said, gazing in surprise at the majestic creature.

"Firenze," Hagrid said, nodding respectfully. "This is Molly Weasley, who'll be teachin' at the school this fall, an' you've met Zelda."

"Good morning," said Firenze. He held out his hand and looked piercingly at Molly. "I am happy to meet you, Mrs. Weasley."

Molly shook his hand as if in a daze, without speaking.

He turned next to Zelda and said, "I hoped to see you before you left today. Thank you for seeking me out. Is there something I may do for you?"

Zelda stared again into the deep blue eyes, entranced. "No. I just wanted to see you again... I guess that sounds stupid. But I'm happy to know that you and your kind are real. I hope, whatever happens, that you'll be all right."

A sad smile crossed the centaur's handsome face. "This war is fated, so all who live stand to lose that which they love. Such is the nature of war. But I am glad to have met you, Zelda Larsson. Even as we stand on the brink of destruction, I am touched by your respect for my kind."

Two pairs of blue eyes met, and Zelda realized that he knew, better than she, the loss and heartbreak that would come with war. Her eyes filled with tears, but she did not look away, instead holding out her hand to him. He took it and pulled her toward the forest, saying, "Come with me."

As they all went, Zelda marveled at how quietly Hagrid could move through the trees. Suddenly Firenze held up a hand. He drew Zelda forward silently. There was a pool of water before them, with a gleaming white animal drinking from it. When it raised its head, Zelda saw the graceful shape of it and the pointed horn. She gazed in amazement, watching the animal move around the pool. It stopped no more than twenty feet away and gazed at them, unafraid, before walking slowly into the forest. After the last glimpse of dazzling white vanished among the trees, Firenze led them calmly back to the edge of the forest.

"Thank you, Firenze," Zelda said, wiping her eyes.

"You are welcome," the centaur said softly. "Farewell, Zelda Larsson."

Without another word, he turned and left them.
Sign up to rate and review this story