Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Creating A Refuge Among Muggles

by Emilie_D 1 review

Michael provides a safe haven for weary wizards and witches.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-10-01 - Updated: 2006-10-01 - 2949 words - Complete

2Original
Zelda and Molly said goodbye to Hagrid and walked slowly back to the castle. They were quiet at first, still dazzled at the remarkable gift they had been given by Firenze.

"How did he know?" Zelda asked softly. "I wanted to see a unicorn more than almost anything, but I would never have asked it of him."

"Centaurs keep to themselves," Molly said, "and I don't know much about them. I see why you wanted to speak with him, Zelda, he's amazing."

"I hope I don't end up Obliviated, because I want to remember this morning as long as I live," said Zelda. "You probably take your world for granted, but it's mind-blowing to discover that this planet holds so much more than we Muggles understand. There's so much at stake, so much to lose in this war, Molly."

"Not just people I love," Molly said sadly, "but knowledge, creatures and this place. I know it, and it's almost too much to bear. But we'll fight, and I must hope we can save what's good."

They entered the castle, and found Minerva waiting in Zelda's room. They did not speak as Zelda picked up her knapsack.

Minerva then levitated the trunk containing Severus's things out of the wardrobe and prepared to leave. In response to Zelda's inquiring stare, she said, "No evidence may be left to show that he was here, so I believe you must take it."

Zelda rolled here eyes ironically. "If he decides he can do better than an old Muggle broad, he'll have to pack before he flees the scene. Poor guy."

"You're joking, right?" Molly asked. "I've never seen the man happy before. He's not foolish enough to leave you."

Zelda blushed. "I'm sorry. You're right... I think. My self esteem's a bit lacking when it comes to men and I'm not exactly a femme fatale."

"Shall we go?" Minerva asked pointedly. "Please discuss your foolish insecurities on your own time, not mine."

Zelda grimaced apologetically at Minerva. "Okay, let's go."

If their progress to the gates was watched, they were not aware of it. Minerva had done a very clever Shrinking Charm that miniaturized the luggage, so they seemed merely to be going for a stroll on a lovely summer day. Once they were clear of the gates, Minerva chose a spot off to the side of the road and held a hand each out to Molly and Zelda, and they Apparated.


&&&&&&&&&


It was dark at their destination, and Zelda stood still, not wanting to trip and break a leg.

"Lumos!" Molly said, and two wands lit the scene.

Zelda recognized Michael's cabin in the darkness. As her eyes grew accustomed to the darkness she saw the stars, brilliant above her head. So many changes... she felt disoriented, but she shook her head as if to clear her thoughts, and pulled a key from the pocket of her robes. She unlocked the door and flipped the light switch, gesturing to her companions to enter. The place was perfectly neat and clean, a welcome-home gesture that was not wasted on Zelda. She'd missed Michael, and wondered when he'd turn up. She had no idea even what day it was, but she knew he'd come around soon.

"I didn't realize it would be dark here," said Molly.

"The sun won't rise for a while yet. Do you and Minerva need to get ready to do the Fidelius Charm and whatever else you need?"

"We'll need to see how big an area we're protecting, and we need a convenient place to reserve for safe Apparating," Molly said in a business-like voice. "So we'll wait until after sunrise. In the meantime, is there some tea?"

Zelda sighed, remembering the pathetically mismatched dishes, but when she went to the cupboard she discovered that Michael had brought her teapot from home, and some matching teacups. He also had filled the cupboards with food, and she found a selection of teas to choose from. She turned to Minerva and cheerfully said, "If Michael weren't gay he'd make some woman extremely happy. Look what he left for us! Most guys wouldn't care to make it so nice, and I certainly appreciate the effort."

"Your friend's gay?" Molly asked nervously, remembering how friendly he had been with Ron.

Zelda saw her panicky reaction and glared irritably. "Yes, and gay doesn't equal child molester, Molly. Michael was always there for me as a single mom and he's very close to my son. I hope if you get to know him better you'll realize he'd never, ever take advantage of someone so much younger."

"I'm sorry, Zelda," Molly said. She couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't make things worse, so she closed her lips tightly.

"No, I'm sorry, Molly," she replied, "I shouldn't have jumped on you. I do know a couple of gay guys who'd be right there if they had the chance. It's just that... Michael's like everybody's dad. He loves Elijah like I do, and that's all it is. He's attracted to adult men... including Severus, unfortunately." She rolled her eyes absurdly.

While they were talking, Zelda had gotten the tea and some cookies ready and they sat down comfortably at the table.

"So what's the deal about Michael being gay?" she asked curiously. "Aren't gay wizards accepted in your society?"

"I don't think there are gay wizards," Molly replied. "At least I don't know any."

Zelda choked a bit on her tea, and looked cynically at Minerva. "Really? No gay wizards?"

Minerva returned her look with one every bit as cynical. "Homosexuality isn't generally admitted, but of course it exists in every society. Gay wizards must be fairly discreet. Bisexuality is far more acceptable than to admit no interest in the opposite gender."

"Okay, whatever," Zelda said. She noticed Molly's continuing discomfort with the topic, and decided to let it go.

"Minerva, what did Severus tell you? What's going to happen?" she asked anxiously.

"I don't know yet," Minerva said, knowing she was about to make Zelda's day. "It isn't safe to write anything so important, so we plan to meet later today, here."

Zelda's eyes lit up in a brilliant smile. "Here?" She laughed in relief. "I'm so glad."

Molly was touched by Zelda's happiness. Imagining how painful it was to be separated by such dangerous circumstances from one's beloved, saddened her. In the meantime, however, things must be arranged. "Zelda, if Michael agrees we wish to use this place as a refuge for the children and Severus. It's the last place anyone could discover them. It's isolated enough, according to Minerva, and we'll ward it well. Will Michael agree, and do you think it's practical?"

"Yes, and yes," replied Zelda. "Molly, I've seen something of what's at stake in this war of yours. It goes beyond my wish for Severus to survive, I want your world to survive and the Muggles who'll be endangered too. It's so important."

"What did you wish to ask Firenze this morning?" Minerva asked curiously.

Zelda chuckled. "Not a damn thing. I just wanted to see him, to make sure I didn't dream his existence. All of you are magical, but human too, and I recognize the similarity between us. But Firenze... wow. Even the part that looks human at first glance is deeper and wilder and more magical than I could've imagined."

"Did he tell you anything? Centaurs are skilled at Divination," Minerva asked hopefully.

"Nothing I can't figure out for myself, right, Molly?" replied Zelda. "But he knew... and I wouldn't have asked him... he took us into the forest and showed us a unicorn. It was incredible, Minerva."

The sun's first rays appeared through the window over the sink, recalling them to the task at hand. Minerva remembered the luggage and asked, "Where would you like me to place your things? I'll remove the charm when they are in place."

"In the bedroom," Zelda replied. "Michael's given his room over to me for the time being. I hate to take over his space, but I'll be here more than he will, so it seems sensible."

She led the way into the bedroom, and Minerva first enlarged Severus's trunk in the closet, and Zelda's duffle bag and knapsack on top of it. As they returned to the kitchen, the door opened and Michael stepped in.

Zelda threw herself happily into his arms. "I'm glad to see you, babe, your timing's perfect," she exclaimed.

He kissed her cheek and set her down on the floor in front of him. "I came straight from work. Let me look at you, Zel," he said, looking her over carefully. He noticed that her eyes were bright and he chuckled, running a casual finger over a faint love bite on her neck. "You look like you've had a month's vacation," he declared with a knowing smirk.

"Shut up, Michael," she said, blushing.

"It's boring here without you telling me to shut up. So how was Severus, does he miss me?" he asked cheerfully.

"He's still alive, but I hope he hasn't wasted one second thinking of you, when he can think of me," she scolded happily. "But Michael, we have something to ask you, at least Minerva and Molly do, so be serious."

The two witches had watched this reunion of friends in silence. The teasing between them seemed very "American" to Minerva, who was far more reserved. Zelda had behaved in a more restrained manner when she was at Hogwarts, and she wondered how comfortable the formidable Severus Snape could be with these breezy, openhearted Muggles.

"Mr. Fletcher, we wish for your permission to use this property as a refuge for several of our people," Minerva said politely.

"Which people," he asked quickly, with a shrewd look in his eye.

"Actually, we believe it would only be the three young people, and Severus Snape. If that should change, we would of course consult with you."

Michael looked back at Zelda. "What do you say?"

"You already know what I think," she replied.

"What would this mean to me and to the land?" he asked.

"We would place the Fidelius Charm upon it, so that the only magical people who can access it will be Molly and myself, the three young people and Severus. Also, we would ward the property so that no one, Muggle or magical, may enter who comes with ill intent," Minerva said.

"Okay," he said cheerfully. "But, you need to call me Michael. I always check to see if my father's standing behind me when someone says Mr. Fletcher."

"Very well, Michael," Minerva said politely. "Then please call me Minerva."

"Not Minnie?" he asked provocatively, a wicked gleam in his brown eyes.

Zelda and Molly's eyes met in fascinated horror.

"Not unless you wish to be transfigured into a cockroach and ground under my heel," Minerva replied coolly.

"You got it, Minerva, anything you say," he said with an unrepentant smirk.

"Excellent. Now, while Zelda and Molly arrange things here, perhaps you'll show me the boundaries of your land. We must also arrange for a safe place to Apparate to. I'd be grateful for your guidance on the matter."

As she and Michael closed the door of the cabin behind them, they heard Zelda and Molly break into peals of laughter. Minerva saw Michael smile contentedly.

"Sorry, Minerva, but Zelda worries too much. She needs to laugh more," he said, and his silly-ass smirk had vanished completely.

"I believe we all need to laugh more. I don't know what news Severus will bring to us, but at the moment I fear things look grim."

"Let's do what we can now, and then relax until the next thing," he said. "I have about two hundred acres here, so it'll take some time to do it, but I'll show you the boundaries. Maybe you won't want to ward the whole place, but that's up to you. Come over here by the road and I'll show you what the markers look like."

Minerva was pleased to learn that Michael's piece of land was fairly large and well marked. She summoned Molly, and the witches spent the next two hours making the property secure. Michael returned to the cabin, so he could talk to Zelda in private.

"Michael, how are things back here? Is everything nice and ordinary? How are you?" Zelda asked, pulling him over to the couch so they could be comfortable.

"Everything's fine, your house is fine and Jess is fine," he said soothingly. "If there's anything I can't handle about that part I'll let you know. I talked to Elijah yesterday, and he's going camping next week. Lily sent me a postcard. She said her dad's planning to visit her next month."

Zelda rolled her eyes. "Funny how he was too poor to pay child support, and now he's going on a European vacation."

"Hey, who just got back from a European vacation?" he said with a smile. "Who cares about that loser?"

Zelda raised her eyes to his and smiled. "I've never cared less in my life, Michael. It was just a twitchy, ex-wife reflex. Really, it's like there's never been anyone but Severus in my life. If I weren't so worried, I'd be the happiest freakin' Muggle on the planet."

Michael looked into her eyes. "Can you show me what it was like?"

Zelda thought for a moment, and offered him her first view of Hogwarts looming immense and ancient against the horizon. She showed him the Great Hall with it's enchanted ceiling, endless corridors and staircases, and Minerva's office.

"Wow!" he said weakly, knowing there had to be much more.

"Wait, I have to show you one more thing that happened this morning." She captured his gaze, and showed him her memory of Firenze walking out of the forest toward her, and then of that gleaming white unicorn drinking from the pool in the glade.

Michael broke away in complete shock. "I could accept it in theory, Zel, because it's the only thing that explains my Legilimency. But to see it is totally amazing. Good Lord, how can there really be all that, and we don't know?"

"It's good to talk to you about this, so if I'm crazy, then you are too." Zelda confessed. "I have some books, but I didn't have much time to read. But there aren't very many real witches and wizards, and they've been hiding their world for centuries. I think it's a good thing, too."

"Can you do the wand stuff, Zel?" he asked apprehensively.

She laughed. "Oooooo... do I scare you, Michael?" she snickered.

"Shut up," he snapped. "I'm serious."

"Sorry, I couldn't resist," she said wryly. "But you don't get it about magic. I talked about it with Severus a little, and the way you and I are able to do Legilimency, that magic's wired into us. Real witches and wizards have all kinds of magic wired into them. It's not something you can learn to do if you don't have it in you."

"I wish I could learn it," he said seriously.

"Another thing is that when we say 'magical thinking' we mean impossible wish fulfillment. But they learn different rules about how things work, and I don't think Muggles can ever completely grasp it. The ones like Molly who've always lived apart from Muggles really can't grasp how our lives work at all." She fell silent and lost herself in thought.

"Are you okay?" he asked, leaning over to hug her. "I missed you, and I've been pretty worried about you out there in magic land."

"I didn't meet many people, and only two of them knew I was a Muggle, but I see how vulnerable we are," she said. "The Dark Lord and his people get off on torturing and killing Muggles. To Voldemort, we're just bugs he can squash. Magic's not all pretty; it's real, like everything else in the world. Light and dark mixed, and every magical person has to choose, every day, just like every one of us."

"Pretty deep concepts to be coming from you, babe," he said slowly.

"Magic's not different than anything else. There's more to nature than I knew, but it's all part of the whole, and if I don't understand it, it's okay," said Zelda thoughtfully. She rose from the couch and headed for the kitchen. "No house elves here, so I'll start making lunch. With the time difference it feels like time to make dinner. Come and help me, okay?"

By the time they had prepared lunch, Minerva and Molly were back, and the four sat down to a hearty meal. The witches were rather tired after placing protections over such a large area, but they were pleased that the job had been completed.

"Minerva, Molly please go and relax. Michael and I will make coffee," Zelda said.

Molly stood up. "Thank you. Coffee sounds great."

"It seems a very long day," said Minerva. She moved a bit more slowly as she headed for the couch.

The silence was soothing to Zelda. She really couldn't think what more to say to Michael, and she wanted only to be alone to rest her mind.

"Michael, go entertain them with your sparkling wit, would you?" Zelda said. "I'll bring everything in, but I'd really like a few minutes alone to collect my thoughts.

"Okay, take your few minutes, Zel," he said, rising from the table.

Finally she was alone, and Zelda flipped the switch on the coffee maker, then sank down at the table and put her head in her hands. It had been a very intense few days.
Sign up to rate and review this story