Categories > TV > Battlestar Galactica > Unhuman

Chapter 19: Andor

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Captain’s log, Stardate 57444.2 - We will soon be approaching Andor

Category: Battlestar Galactica - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Boomer - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-03-25 - Updated: 2022-04-06 - 1554 words - Complete

0Unrated
Unhuman

Chapter 19: Andor

Captain’s log, Stardate 57444.2 - We will soon be approaching Andor to investigate it further. The Raider that previously visited here found no signs of technological civilization. Since Andor was one of the founding members of our own Federation and we have several Andorian crew members, it seemed prudent to look more closely at this world.
But first, I have a duty to perform as Captain.

Deep Space - USS Argos - Hanger Deck

All six of the Cylon Raiders that had joined the Borg had been removed from the storage hangers and placed on the deck. In a line besides them were the other Borg that had joined the crew. All of them had formerly been Cylons. At the Head of the room stood prominent Officers that commanded the Raiders: Captain Data, Commander Worf, the Raider’s immediate supervisor: Lieutenant Hex, and his supervisor: Lieutenant Commander Kim. The normal deck crew were also present, including Crewman Boomer Eight and Crewman Valerii Eight. Worf had called them all to attention and everyone stood waiting until the Captain stepped forward:

“Integrating members of the Borg into the crew of this ship has been a unique challenge,” began Data. “As members of a group mind, you all have access to the memories and experiences of Lieutenant Commander Kim, but granting all of the same rank would not be a workable solution. A Starfleet ship can not run a mixed crew with a Borg hierarchy. But pilots are traditionally officers. The decision was made to advance all the Borg Raiders to the rank of ensign, and allow further advancement for Borg members based on their actions as an individual.

Raider 3 of 6, you have demonstrated efficiency in your duties as an advanced scout. The efficiency and completeness of your scan of the Talos system played a major role in the success of our first contact with the Talosians and their entry into the Federation. It is therefore my honor to bestow upon you the rank of Lieutenant, Junior Grade and to make you squad leader of the Raiders on this ship. Since it is not possible to pin the pip on your collar, these crewmen will paint the pip on your hull. Crewmen?”

Boomer and Eight stepped forward. Eight held up the stencil, while Boomer spray painted the circle on the hull of the Raider. Throughout the Collective a wave of joy at their accomplishment passed through all the Borg as evidenced by the smiles of the faces of the humanoid Borg who were present. Once the painting was done, the new Lieutenant sent a message via the ships’s computer:

“We would like to change our designation,” said Lieutenant Raider 3 of 6. “We would like to trade designations with the current 1 of 6. It will allow for a more efficient chain of command.”

“Raider 1 of 6, do you have any objection to the change?” asked Data.

“We do not object,” replied the old 1 of 6.

“Then I will have Lieutenant Hex make a change in your service records,” replied Data.


Andor

A party of three beamed down to the surface of Andor. They were led by Lieutenant Pram. Lieutenant Gran was here to be his Science Officer. Both of them were Andorian and would fit in if they were noticed here. But none of the ships medical staff were Andorian, so the EMH Doctor had been modified so that he looked Andorian. The temperature was quite warm by Andorian standards. Though, if any humans had been with them, they would have needed heavy winter parkas and would have complained about the cold a lot.

“The village is that way,” pointed out Lieutenant Gran, who had used his tricorder to get their bearings.

Pram nodded and led the way across the snow. There was so much of it that the drifts formed large dunes like might be found in a sandy desert. They hadn’t yet spotted the village from the tops of the dunes. Their mission was to observe the village from a distance and evaluate the level of their technology. Under no circumstances were they to make contact with the locals. They were in the lull between dunes when they spotted a woman run over the top of the next dune towards them. As soon as she spotted them she came to a halt and turned her head left and right as if she were looking for an escape route.

“We mean you no harm assured Pram.”

“You sound strange,” said the woman, as The Doctor approached her with the tricorder out.

“She’s blind,” observed The Doctor.

“Where is that voice coming from!” demanded the woman, fearfully. “I can’t hear his thoughts!”

“Lieutenant, this woman is Einar!” announced The Doctor.

Just then, a sled came over the dune, pulled by a pack of trogs. Standing on the back of the sled as an Andorian man wearing only a fur loincloth. Spotting them, he brought his sled to a stop, got off and reached for one of his javelins. His hostile intent was obvious.

“Get away from that mind witch!” warned the Andorian. “She’ll steal your thoughts!”

“We mean you no harm,” warned Pram, as The Doctor stepped in front of her blocking the stranger’s ability to hit her with his javelin.

“Who are you people?” demanded the stranger.

“We’re travelers from a distant village,” explained Pram.

“You must be mind witches like her!” accused the stranger, as he raised his javelin menacingly at Pram. “I’ll have to kill you too!”

Suddenly, there was a musical hissing sound as Gran’s phaser beam stunned the stranger. Pram turned to Gran with a frown.

“It had to be done,” explained Gran. “He was about to attack.”

“You! . . . You are from the sky!” accused the woman. “I can see it in your minds!”

“You are an Einar!” confirmed Pram. “They were though a myth until a couple of centuries ago. I guess this is before they went into hiding.”

“Bone tips on the javelins,” observed Gran as he scanned the stranger, his sled and everything on it with his tricorder. “Everything is consistent with stone age tech.”

“I think we’ve seen enough,” replied Pram. “There’s no longer a need to go to the village.”

“Wait! You have to take me with you into the sky!” begged the Einar woman. “If you don’t they’ll kill me!”

“This could explain why the Einar went into hiding,” observed Gran.

“If we take you with us, you can never come back,” warned Pram.

“I’d don’t care!” replied the Einar woman. “I want to go up in the sky and hear all those strange people for myself. I would rather go anywhere, than die here!”

“Very well,” said Pram, as he tapped his com-badge. “Four to beam up.”

When they materialized in the transporter room, Commander Worf was already waiting for them.

“You brought back a local!” growled Worf.

“She’s an Einar,” excused Pram. “They were going to kill her for her telepathy! She freely asked for asylum.”

“Very well,” replied Worf. “Take her to sickbay so that her health can be checked.

As it turned out the Einar woman’s name was: ‘Betsa’, and she found the appearance of the Vulcan Doctor Salar much less disturbing that The EMH Doctor, who was invisible to her telepathy. Betsa found it comforting that the strange doctor was a telepath, even if her telepathy required touch to work. By the time the exam was done, Crewman Luziana had been assigned as a guide to help her accommodate to her new life.

Deep Space - USS Argos - Crewman’s club

Boomer, Starbuck and Medi were already at the table when Luziana entered with a woman that looked sort of Andorian.

“Hi Luzianna, how was your day?” asked Boomer.

“Who is this?” asked Medi.

“This is Betsa,” explained Luziana. “She just came aboard from Andor and is used to living in the stone age, so I’m showing her around and helping he get accommodated.”

“Welcome Betsa!” said Medi.

“As long as you don’t try using any frakin’ alien powers on me we’ll get along just fine,” said Starbuck.

“She’s blind,” replied Luziana. “She has to use her telepathy to look through other peoples eyes or she can’t see.”

“Looking through my eyes is fine, But if you dig into my private thoughts and blurt them out, I’ll break your nose!” warned Starbuck.

“It didn’t hurt that much,” said Luziana. “And the Doctor fixed me right up.”

“She’ll also do that if she thinks you’re attractive,” added Medi.
“Hey! Flirting is fine,” countered Starbuck. “It’s when you start using your weird alien powers to try to seduce me that I get violent. Besides . . . I’m married!”

“If you two don’t stop trying to scare her I’m going to be breaking some noses!” warned Boomer.

“I’d like to see you try!” growled Starbuck.

There was a tense standoff as the two women glared at each other . . . . Then they both broke into giggles and gave each other a one armed hug.

“Those kinds of games don’t fool either of us,” scoffed Luziana. “We could both see in your minds you didn’t mean it.”
Sign up to rate and review this story