Categories > TV > Battlestar Galactica > Unhuman

Chapter 18: Talos IV

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Captain’s log, Stardate 57371.5 - We have entered the Talos system

Category: Battlestar Galactica - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Boomer,Gaius Baltar,Number Six - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-03-25 - Updated: 2022-04-06 - 1530 words - Complete

0Unrated
Unhuman

Chapter 18: Talos IV


Captain’s log, Stardate 57371.5 - We have entered the Talos system and already are seeing signs of the advanced civilization that Raider 3 of 6 encountered. Many of the moons of the outer planets we had seen have colonies on them and there are O’Neil cylinder space habitats at the Lagrange points around the planet as well as a a swarm of satellites orbiting the planet.

orbiting Talos 4 - USS Argos - Bridge

Lieutenant Solon, the Talosian Communications Officer had wandered down closer to view screen, holding out her hand at the planet below.

“There’s so many of them!” said Solon, in wonder. “I can hear their minds, hundreds of millions of them all directing their minds up at me!”

“It’s so lush and green!” observed Lieutenant Pram, with a shudder. Where other’s might see beauty, the Andorian saw horror.

“This is my world before the war!” announced Solon. “This is us at the peak of our civilization!”

“Go back to your station,” admonished Worf. “The Captain will want you to hail them.”

“There is no need!” replied Solon. “They already know who we are and why we are here. They have given me transporter co-ordinates.”

“Captain, they are telepaths,” warned Worf. “I recommend that our landing party consists of people they can’t read: yourself and the EMH Doctor and-”

“That will not be necessary,” countered Captain Data. “If we want them to join our Federation, we need to show them who we are. We’ll need someone from each member world. The landing party shall be: myself, Lieutenant Commander Kim, Lieutenant Solon, Crewman Boomer Eight, Crewman Gaius Baltar, Natasi and Crewman Vonik. Alert them to meet us in Transporter Room 3.”


Talos 4 -

The landing party found a pair of Talosians waiting to to greet them.

“Greetings;” began Data. “I am Captain Data, representing the United Federation of Planets.”

“We know who you are, yet strangely we can not see into your mind. You appear to be immune to our telepathy, “ said one of the Talosians, audibly.

“That is correct,” confirmed Data. “I am an android, an artificial life form. Sentient AIs have full rights in our Federation and I am the highest ranked member of our Crew.”

“The others represent each of your Federation’s member worlds,” observed the Talosian. “Boomer the model Eight Cylon, Vonik the Tarquinian, Gaius the Human, and Natasi the Daemon that only he can see and hear. . . .”

Suddenly Solon made Natasi visible to all of them except Data.

(Wait! How are you doing that!?!) thought the Talosian.

(Apparently, your telepathy is not as developed as mine,) telepathically replied Solon. (I am taking the images from the human’s mind and projecting them into everyone else’s mind.)

“And the Borg drone,” continued the Talosian. “In his mind I can see a group mind. His thinking is similar to a Talosian’s.”

“I am aware that Talosians do not normally have names. But is there some designation by which I can call you?” asked Data.

“If it helps you to communicate with us, you may refer to me as: Domog and my college as: Jago” said the Talosian.

(Our people have evolved much until your time) thought Jago.

(But a terrible war nearly destroyed our civilization) thought Solon.

(We will join your Federation, but there is a price,) thought Domog.

(We want to be like you without suffering through the war first,) thought Jogo.

(How do you intend to jump past that?) thought Solon.

(You will donate your genetic material so that you can can become the mother of the next generation of our people) thought Jogo.

(And our people will become full members of the Federation with all that entails?) thought Solon.

(We have an agreement) thought Domog.

“Captain, my people have agreed to join the Federation,” announced Solon. “I would like a take a few days leave.”

“Is there something you are not telling me?” asked Data.

“There is too much to tell,” replied Solon. “When our minds connect we can share information much faster than it is possible to verbalize. My people wish to avoid the war that devastated our world long before my time. We see the Federation as the best route to a brighter future.”

“I see,” replied Data, as he nodded, rather than offer his hand. (which he knew the Talosians would not appreciate) “Then, all I can say is: welcome to the Federation.”

“Your people are free to visit our world while we connect with our member who has experience with the Federation,” offered Domog, as he returned the nod.


Talos 4 - Aerospace park

“What is this?” asked Boomer.

(Since you enjoy flying so much, I thought you might enjoy flying one of our sailplanes) telepathically said the Talosian that was Boomer’s guide.

“It looks more like a rocket,” observed Boomer.

(It does have a chemical rocket engine for take off) agreed the Talosian. (After the rocket lifts you into the air, the wings will unfold and you can glide the sailplane)

“Don’t I need some some sort of training to do this?” asked Boomer.

(Normally, you would be telepathically taught the knowledge of how to fly the sailplane. But I can see in your mind that you already have piloting skills) replied the Talosian.

“Well, then let’s get this baby in the air!” said Boomer, and she climbed the ladder so she could enter the rocket/plane.

Once in the cockpit, she saw that the controls looked pretty easy to figure out. And there was a big red button that obviously started the rocket. After making sure she was strapped in and the hatch was closed, Boomer pushed the button and the rocket burned briefly, just long enough to launch her 3,000 meters in the air. When she started to fall, the large wings folded out and she began guiding the sailplane with the controls. She was flying again!


Talos 4 - City park

Gais Baltar and Natasi had decided to walk through the city. No one seemed to think it was odd that he was holding her hand and everyone he walked past had given him a friendly telepathic greeting that he heard in his head. Their stroll around the City had taken them to a park that looked like a park you might find in Caprica City. There was grass and trees. Some children were playing a game with a ball, and other children were climbing on a complex of metal bars. A small Talosian child walked up to Natasi, looked her in the eye and asked:

(are you a Daemon?)

which they both heard in their heads.

“Why yes I am,” said Natasi as she squatted so that she could more easily look the child in the eye. She reached out, and the child ran back to it’s parent. It was not obvious to Baltar what the gender of either parent or child was.


Talos 4 - Public Library

Vonik was not enjoying himself here. Telepaths gave him the creeps! That was one of the things he didn’t like about the logic faction back on Vulcan, their acceptance of telepaths. But at least Vulcan telepaths required touch to violate your mind. Every Talosian he met was looking through all his secret thoughts without him even feeling anything! He’d thought that the Library would allow him some respite. But the usual data format for them was a device that stored and sent into you stored telepathic memories! But they did have a small store of old style books. He was in the room with them now. No one had touched them in ages and everything in the room was covered in a layer of dust. Fortunately, the universal translator he had been issued was allowing him to read the books.


Talos 4 - Government Hall (landing site)

The landing party had sent several days touring Talos, seeing the sights. Of them, Natasi (and Baltar) seemed to enjoy the experience the most. For Crewman Vonik the Tarquinian this had been an ordeal to be endured because he wanted his file to contain a favorable report of his conduct. He hoped to someday make officer.
When they all came back together, Lieutenant Solon had ten more Talosians with her.

“Captain, these Talosians have volunteered to join Starfleet,” said Solon. “I have shared all of my unclassified knowledge of the Federation and the Starship operations with them.”

“Very well, we shall have to beam up in groups,” replied Data.


Captain’s log, Stardate 57374.7 - The Federation has a new member and our ship has ten new crewmen. These ten, like the Borg recruits start off with full knowledge of our culture and procedures. And like the Borg, we shall base their promotions on the actions that they take, and not the knowledge that they possess. This is, however, likely to cause some resentment amongst the Crewmen that have to learn things more slowly, in classes.
Talos 4 is the first member of our new Federation that is not re-building their civilization from ruins. Care shall need to be taken to ensure that they do not culturally overpower the other worlds.
Sign up to rate and review this story