Categories > TV > Battlestar Galactica > Unhuman

Chapter 22: planning Starfleet

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Captain’s log, Stardate 57482.5 - We have adapted the Talosian telepathic information sharing devices

Category: Battlestar Galactica - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Characters: Helo,William Adama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-03-27 - Updated: 2022-04-06 - 1627 words - Complete

0Unrated
Unhuman

Chapter 22: planning Starfleet

Captain’s log, Stardate 57482.5 - We have adapted the Talosian telepathic information sharing devices so that they can be used to implant information quickly into prospective Starfleet officers. To facilitate this, we have created a block of information that all Starfleet academy graduates should know. This has allowed any of our crewmen that are Colonial, Cylon or Taquinian to quickly finish their education as if they had gone through all four years at Star Fleet Academy. We are also creating more advanced blocks of learning for those who wish to learn engineering, science or medicine. This will allow us to more quickly share our information with the member worlds of the Federation.
In light of this sudden influx of new technology, the Kobolians have decided to merge their military into Starfleet. All of the officers of the the former Colonial military have been ordered to undergo the information implantation via the Talosian devices. In the case of the Tartarus, the former Cylon Base ship, there has been 100% compliance amongst the crew. On the Galactica, some of the officers have resigned their commissions rather than use the devices. However a large portion of the enlisted crew have agreed to acquire the new knowledge and be advanced in rank.
As part of this merging of the Kobolian military into Starfleet, we have made Admiral William Adama Fleet Admiral of Star Fleet. We are about to conduct a meeting of all available Captains to plan the future of the Starfleet.


Kobol - Athens - Star Fleet Command

“So you’re sure your people will join?” asked Adama.

“I am certain that our people will combine our ships into Starfleet once word has reached the home world,” agreed the Talosian Captain: Plata.

“How many ships will that net us?” asked Adama.

“We have 12 ships that are armed with phasers and capable of Warp 4,” replied Plata. “It will take us time to modify them with the new information gained from the Argos.

“The Borg wish to make ship building our major industry,” announced Lieutenant Commander Kim, who was attending the meeting on behalf of the Borg, even though he was technically, not a Captain. “We can modify the ships for you.”

“For now, I would like have a Talosian ship guarding each of the Federation worlds,” ordered Adama. “And I guess we can scrap the Galactica and the Base ships.”

“That may not be wise,” replied Captain Data. “The Jump drives of the Base ships and the Galactica make them able to respond quickly to situations that may take a long time for a warp capable ship arrive at. It is my thinking that the Galactica and at least some of the Base ships should be retained as rapid deployment forces. Even though the ships are not designed for warp travel and thus can not be equipped with phasers or shields, They could be modified to carry photon torpedo launchers.”

“You really think they would be of any use?” asked Captain Gaeta, who was still getting used to the change from Colonial ranks, to Starfleet ranks.

“The Jump drive is of more use for long distance travel than warp drive,” replied Captain Karl Agathon. “That makes it a better choice for freighters, which don’t need shields or weapons anyway.”

“I have been thinking,” started Data. “Our shuttlecraft are not as useful for some purposes as some of the Kobolian and Cylon craft. The Raiders are better for long range scouting, transporters are usually better for planetary landings and ship to ship transfers in space, and Raptors are better for many of the tasks that we would ordinarily use a shuttle for. I would like to have some of the Raptors transferred from the Galactica to the Argos. In return, most of our shuttlecraft, which are armed with both shields and phasers could be distributed to the Galactica, and the Talosian ships guarding Talos, Taquinus, Caprica and Mars. The Raptor is such a useful ship design, perhaps more should be made for the other members of the Federation. We could update their sensors and arm them with a pair for photon torpedoes if the need arose.”

“What do you see the role of the Argos, in Starfleet?” asked Adama.

“The Argos, was designed to be a ship of exploration and there is much about the galaxy in this universe that is still unknown. For example, we still have not made first contact with the Medeusans, a Federation member in our own universe which our Raider has found are already an advanced civilization. We intend to offer them Federation membership.”

“As you did us,” said Captain Plata.

“We should build more ships like the Argos,” added Captain Gaeta.

“It may not be the best use of our resources to build galaxy class ships like the Argos,” observed Data. “For now, a fleet of smaller ships may better serve us. Perhaps an older design like the constitution class?”

“That would allow for more rapid construction,” agreed Kim

“Also, those explosive bullets, the ones that the Colonials use against Cylon Centurions, could be useful in some situations that phasers are not,” added Data.

“So even though we are replacing the primary weapons of the marines . . . sorry MACOS, with phasers, we should still keep a reserve of explosive bullets and the guns to fire them,” observed Adama.

“It occurs to me that the Treaty of Algernon is no longer in affect,” mused Data.

“That’s the one forbidding the Federation ships from having cloaking devices?” said Gaeta, trying to call on his newly gained knowledge of Starfleet.

“That is correct,” replied Data. “Within the Argos’ computer banks are the specifications for a Federation phasing cloak, superior to the types used by the Romulans and Klingons of our home universe.”

“I’m assuming that this cloaking device would require a warp core to power it?” guessed Agathon.

“Sounds like a useful thing to have,” said Adama. “See that Argos and the Talosian ships get one as soon as possible.

“With the amount of construction and mining we are being called upon, the Borg have insufficient numbers,” said Kim. “To help increase our numbers, we would like genetic samples from the members of the Federation, from as many different individuals as possible.”

“And what do you intend to do with this ‘genetic material’?” asked Adama.

“We will combine it with the members we have and with each other to produce offspring, which shall gestate in the Borg Cube ship we plan to make” explained Kim. “The Borg offspring will be Borg from the beginning of their lives and allow us reproduce faster than we could through assimilation of volunteers.”

“Sounds like a matter for the Federation Council to decide,” said Adama.

“Genetic material donations should only come from willing participants,” cautioned Data.

“Definitely,” agreed Adama.

“Another factor slowing the growth of our colony is our intension to terraform Mars,” added Kim. “We feel other methods are too slow and wish to use a genesis device.”

“Genesis device?” asked Helo. “I’m afraid that was not in the Starfleet information loaded into my brain.”

“The Genesis Project was an unsuccessful attempt at terraforming from the 23rd century,” explained Data. “It’s failure was due to the use of proto-matter, which made the planets unstable after the device was used on them. It’s use was banned by the Federation, though basic research on the concept has continued.”

“We believe we have solved the equations without the use of proto-matter,” announced Kim. “If successful, we believe we can lay down a biogenic matrix on which life can be planted. Unlike previous attempts, it will not create life and any life on the terraformed world would have to be transferred to there and planted manually. We would like to test the device on the planet Venus. But we need permission from the Federation Council to build and test such a device.”

“If this test is successful, it could also be used on Earth, Mars and the non-viable of the former 12 Colonies,” pointed out Data. It could provide many new worlds for Federation colonies to be settled on.”

“Again, another issue for the Federation Council to decide,” said Adama.

“If the Borg needs new members, some of my people would be willing to join,” offered Plata. “Those who have been deemed too telepathically weak to be allowed to breed might welcome a new life as a part of your collective.”

“What do you mean ‘too weak to be allowed to breed’?” asked Adama.

“When we obtained the genetic material from your Lieutenant Solon, it was only mixed with the genes of our telepathically most powerful males and implanted in our strongest females,” explained Plata. “Those who were judged too telepathically weak, will not be allowed to participate in this great uplift in our race. Such individuals will welcome a chance to be a part of the Borg Collective as they are currently in danger of becoming an inferior subspecies of our race.”

“Genetic Alteration is banned in the Federation,” pointed out Data.

“No genes were altered,” rebuffed Plata. “It is as if she mated with thousands of our men separately and had the embryos implanted in a surrogate.”

“We may need to change the law against genetic manipulation,” observed Adama. My people only have 5,000 women who are still young enough to breed. That’s not a viable population, long term. And adding the Cylons only adds 12 people to our 30,000, only 5 of which are women. When we lost the 12 Colonies, we only took with us the people who were on spaceships at the time, which was mostly the rich middle aged men. There were some ships with tourist families. But that still leaves us with a shortage of women.”
Sign up to rate and review this story