Categories > TV > Battlestar Galactica > Unhuman

Chapter 52: Presidential Election

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Fleet Admiral’s log Stardate 57777.5 - When I got the word from Caprica that Atlantis had disappeared

Category: Battlestar Galactica - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Characters: William Adama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-04-19 - 1521 words - Complete

0Unrated
Unhuman

I do not own Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5

Chapter 52: Presidential Election

Fleet Admiral’s log Stardate 57777.5 - When I got the word from Caprica that Atlantis had disappeared I was worried. But five days ago the Atlantis and it’s civilian fleet arrived here at Kobol. The first 50 of them have completed their four days of leave in our two towns and the second group are halfway through it. They’re all from the Atlantis. The civilian fleet will have to wait until the crew of the Atlantis have all been through it.
The Atalanta has returned and I have read their final report. I’ll be meeting with Captain Korren later today.
The presidential campaign is heating up and yesterday Tom Zarek arrived to campaign in Athens. He’s promising to pull out Kobol out of the Federation if he wins.


Kobol - Starfleet Command - Fleet Admiral Adama’s Office

“So, Captain Sterns, you’ve had a chance to see Athens and Sparta both,” summarized Fleet Admiral William ‘Husker’ Adama. “Are you going to join Starfleet, or retire? Have you made your decision?”

“I have sir,” replied Brenda Sterns. “I’ve had enough. I’m going to retire. I want to go back to Sparta and never see another Cylon or alien again!”

“What about your responsibility to your people?” asked Adama.

“With all due respect, you can find someone else to Command the Atlantis,” replied Sterns. “And as for the civilian fleet, I’ve done my duty to them. I brought them here to safety. They’ll be fine without me.”

“Very well, resignation accepted,” replied Adama, as he rose to give her a goodbye handshake.


After her, his next appointment was Captain Oedi Korren.

“I read your reports on the Bajorans,” said Adama. “I found them quite disturbing.”

“It was worse to see it,” replied Korren. “On Bardeezi 3 they are dropping like flies, from a plague the Bajorans brought with them that they and we are immune to but the natives of Bardeezi 3 are extremely vulnerable to it. The Doctor estimates that 90% of them will succumb to it. And on Cardassia 1 they are killing and enslaving the natives in order to build their colonies.”

“It’s a difficult situation,” agreed Adama. “The Bajorans who are leaving their home planet are in danger of being genocided for religious reasons. But when they try to colonize other planets, they end up committing their own genocide. It will be up to the Federation Council to decide how to apply the Prime Directive in this particular case and your findings will be valuable for that. When I looked over your reports, It looks like you followed Starfleet regulation precisely.”

“Thank you, sir,” said Korren. “Under the circumstances, we did our best.”

“Now I have a new assignment for you,” announced Adama. “I’m sending you to Visalayan. There you will be under the command of Commodore Sart. He’s assembling a fleet of Talosian and Medeusan ships there. You and the Base ships that are in the area will join him and help him deal with the Skrrr. I’m giving you the same orders I’m giving the captains of the Basestars. If you seen any evidence that the enemy has transporters, you are to jump away immediately. Don’t gather your Vipers first, just go. The tactic I used on you could be used by someone else, and then you’re fraked.”

“Yes sir,” replied Korren.

Just then the receiver beeped.

“Sitrep?” commanded Adama.

“This is Galactica actual,” said Captain Gaeta. “Three Base ships and a resurrection ship have just jumped in. All of them are showing Federation transponders.”

Adama yelled to his assistant: “Bamber! Get that lead Base ship on the line. Now!”

“The is Commodore Lucy Three,” said a voice on the receiver, just five seconds later.

“Commodore, you came a little earlier than I expected,” chided Adama. “I hadn’t had a chance to let everyone know you were coming.”

“I thought I gave you plenty of advanced notice, sir,” said Commodore Lucy Three.

“You did, but . . . politics,” explained Adama. “I didn’t want certain parties to have advanced warning.”

“ADAMA!” screamed Tom Zarek, as she stormed into the room. “What’s this I hear about a fleet of Base ships attacking us!”

“It’s not an attack mister Zarek and there’s only four Base ships currently in orbit,” explained Adama.

“Four! I heard there were three!” yelled Zarek.

“You forgot the Tartarus,” explained Adama. “The other three are full of husband seekers.”

“What are you even talking about!?!” yelled Zarek.

“It seems that show D’Anna Biers did about Cylon babies struck a chord,” explained Adama. So those Base ships are full of Threes, Sixes and Eights who want to be mothers. Some of them want to get married and have kids, some of them don’t care if the father’s involved, they’re just here to be sex tourists. And once they get pregnant, they can just go back to Caprica to have and raise their children. And since you’ve promised that Sparta is for Colonial Humans only, I imagine a lot of those new husbands will be moving here where they can be with their wives.”

The blood drained from Tom Zarek’s face as he realized that he just lost his largest constituency, the 10,000 single men that couldn’t find wives of child bearing age.

“And the resurrection ship?” asked Korren.

“That many Cylons here, the Tartarus can’t handle the resurrections that are potentially needed,” explained Adama. “So we needed our own resurrection ship. Also the Final Five tell me that with a resurrection ship here, resurrection modules can be implanted in the elderly and the terminally ill. The only drawback is they’ll all come back in Cylon bodies.”

“YOU CAN’T DO THAT!” screamed Zarek.

“It’s all perfectly legal, according to Federation law,” replied Adama.


Kobol - Starfleet Command - Fleet Admiral Adama’s Office - later that day

“I wish I could have seen Zarek’s face when you told him!” laughed Commodore Lucy Three.

“On a more serious note, I wanted to discuss something,” said Adama. “You’re Commodore of a fleet of ships, but they are mostly confined to one system. Commodore Sart is in command of a much larger fleet that covers five systems. If this little skirmish goes well, and I expect it to, then afterward, I’m planning to promote him to Admiral. But I wanted to make certain your ego wouldn’t be bruised by that. If our Federation is going to work, It is important to treat everyone equally. At the same time, a military needs a chain of command.”

“I understand,” replied Commodore Lucy Three. “I’m a little disappointed that I don’t get to be admiral too. But your reasoning is sound. We’re all alone in our part of the galaxy with no aliens nearby. And we’ve got 12 worlds that that need re-colonizing by the Federation before we start expanding outward.”

“Resurrection makes you effectively immortal,” mused Adama. “You may yet live to see your part of the galaxy crowded with inhabited worlds.”

“Well I’ll certainly do my part to grow our population, said Commodore Lucy Three. I plan to have a bun in the oven when I return to Caprica. I just need to find a strapping young Kobolian man who is not interested in fatherhood.”

Adama and Lucy laughed together at her plan.


Kobol - Kobol Science institute

“Hey! What are ya doin’ here ya old warhorse?” said Saul Tigh. “Come to hobnob with us eggheads?”

I came to make you an offer,” said Adama. “Are you happy here?”

“I suppose it’s all right, said Tigh. “I get a little more time than I would like with the old ball and chain, if you know what I mean. What kind of offer?”

“Sterns is retiring,” explained Adama. “I need someone to command the Atlantis. You’d stay here guarding Kobol. So you could have as much, or as little Ellen time as you wanted. . .”

“Sold!” said Tigh. “I was starting to feel useless here anyway, what with all that alien tech that we’re working on.


Kobol - Athens - FNN studio anchor desk

It took months to get everyone down to Kobol. The Crew of Atlantis had priority, Then, the civilian fleet that the Atlantis brought with them. Finally, after all them, the Base ships would be able to unload their passengers. That wouldn’t happen until after the election. So the promise of wives was not helping Roslin as much as it otherwise would if Zarek’s disgruntled single men has actually been able to find wives.


“And we just just got those last ballots from Sparta;” reported McManis. “ It was a close one, but the next President of Kobol is: . . . . Tom Zarek.”


Note: I am uncertain whether to narrate the battle again the Skrrr or just summarize it in a bit of dialog. Let me know what you would like to see.
Sign up to rate and review this story