Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho > Another Day that May Only be a Dream, KuramaxOC

Awaken and meet Shuichi!

by PiNkBuN17 1 review

Fiction is thought to be means of an escape, but reality is as firm as jello. Life's complexity just might have another idea in mind and for this depressed girl, blessings can deform to curses. A c...

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Horror,Romance - Characters: Botan,Hiei,Kazuma Kuwabara,Koenma,Kurama,Yusuke - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [X] [R] [?] - Published: 2022-05-26 - Updated: 2022-05-26 - 5100 words

0Unrated
Another day that may only be a dream, A KuramaXOC

By: ~Pinkbun17~

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho, Ranma 1/2, or InuYasha, but I do own the story plot and oc characters. And if you paid to read this...You have been scammed.

Warning of Gore, character death, and lime! (No Lemons!)

YusukeXKeiko, KuwabaraxYukina in future chapters! :D

Edited last: 12/14/20

WARNING: Suicidal actions and thoughts!

Genres: Paranormal, Action/Adventure, Angst, Comedy, Dark, Drama, Lime, General, Hope, Horror, Musical, Mystery, Romance, Thriller, Tragedy, Friendship, and Violence!

Summary: A typical American-minority teenager uses anime to escape from her troubles in the "real world." The human spirit can only endure so much, after all. But even so, she tries to keep her spirit intact; saying that "one can only rely on oneself." Too bad there's no time for that nonsense; because just as her distracted mind carelessly leads her into danger, her life is saved by someone she never expected to see: Kurama? Wait a second, anime characters aren't real! Or so one has been led to believe. The fate of two worlds are in grave peril as she's unintentionally sucked in. How does one even react when they've all but given up on themselves? Living in a fan-fic isn't all that it's cracked up to be, especially if it ruins one's chances to survive quietly.

Readers! Take a look at this!

Youko's Thoughts: ^Pestering Shuichi is rather amusing. ^

Kurama speaking to Youko in his head/his own thoughts: Quiet fox, you are also giving yourself a headache.

Inner thoughts of other characters: 'Someone tell me what is going on in that purple tent with those orange raging bunnies?'

Chapter One: Awaken and meet Shuichi!

(DAY ONE)

Aisha's(I-shaw) POV:

Beep...beep...beep....

"Squawk!"

"Mmmm...." I mumble.

Beep...beep...beeep!

"Squawk! Squawk!"

"Let me sleep...urg...." I whine.

Beeep...beeep...beeeeeep!

"Squawk! Squawk! Squawk! SQUAWK!" A little black beak hollers out. A medium-sized parrot with orange and green feathers flail about within its cage.

"Urg! Fine you freaking win!" I shout, slamming my alarm clock off, crawling out of bed and heading sleepily towards the shower
"Urg! Fine you freaking win!" I shout, slamming my alarm clock off, crawling out of bed and heading sleepily towards the shower.

'Yet another day...in this world.' I thought to myself, as I pass by my bird the Jenday Conure; completely ignoring it, even though it begs for my attention. It continues to scream and flap its wings at me, further indicating its desire for affection.

"I'm sorry Boyya...and Ducky..." I whisper my birds' names in a quiet sad voice.

My name is Aisha Dayani, I'm almost fifteen years old and I'm not looking forward to it. You'd think I'd be glad about aging, but in reality, I only want to hide from it, because it only disappoints me further. I feel I've been cut off from many things in life, and it has caused me to feel completely crumbled. I used to think that I understood a lot for my age, that I could be prepared for anything, but boy was I wrong.

Ever since I was little, my parents would be at each other's throats, with me always in the middle; however, as I got older my mother began blaming me for all our problems, everything. My father would scream at her for sometimes beating me to the point where blood would shed. For many years I pretended things were fine and dandy, but now I know it does not make a difference. I am a horrible mistake. Why exactly? I'm not too sure, but I know if anything goes wrong, it is my fault; or at least that is what I'm told.

I used to be the kind of person that always had faith in people and believed that everyone has good in them, but after years of people stomping and using me, I realize my own foolishness. I was able to keep my emotions on mute and tough it out, but once the abuse level grew at home, I wasn't able to control how I felt in school because I was tormented either way. "Friends" and classmates would always wonder why I was so cheerful most of the time; which I guess shows how little humans know in general...Time and time again I would question: Why couldn't just one person see, that it was only an act?

I felt nothing. And sometimes I miss that emptiness.

I am a fake. I lie to everyone, but I know the truth; I am a flawed mistake that needs correcting.

Enough of this nonsense. I don't think you want me to ramble on about how worthless I am anyway.

As I embrace the hot water of the shower head, tears begin to swell in my eyes, but I will myself to silence my idiotic tears. Soon, complete disappointment makes itself apparent, and I begin to bash my head against the tile shower wall.

'Why couldn't my attempt work! Why! Damn it why!? Guess I didn't take enough Advil...and here I thought 20 would do the trick. Now how will I escape this hell...?'

Slumping against the wall, I finally decide to climb out, and I dress quickly in a black bubble skirt, red leggings, and a Bullet for my Valentine tee. I face the mirror and I cringe as I gaze into coffee-colored eyes, the 'raccoon bags' under my eyes make me look a little like a zombie, but my tan skin doesn't allow me to look like one of the undead. People tend to mistake me as Hispanic, Native American, or Indian (which would be closer); but I have yet to meet the one person that guesses right the first time around. Sri Lankan! I can't help but to fantasize in my head sometimes.

As I brush my past shoulder length blackish-brown wavy hair, my parrot stares at me, flapping his wings at me, still indicating he desires affection
As I brush my past shoulder length blackish-brown wavy hair, my parrot stares at me, flapping his wings at me, still indicating he desires affection. I hold up my finger to his puffy chest and he steps up, quickly climbing up my arm and nuzzling his orange-red face to my neck-even that kind gesture doesn't cheer me up. I fight back the tears as I remember Ducky is dead, his girlfriend and my other little best friend.

"I'm really sorry Boyya."

Even my own parrot is depressed, and I feel entirely at fault. He hasn't been his normal self in days, and has been very jumpy, frightened of every little thing. In fact, it's like he's not even my little best friend anymore. I've had him and Ducky since they were six months old, and they are three years old, Ducky was a month younger than Boyya...The parrots and I would go everywhere ranging from the local Walgreens, to the Duck park Alondra riding either on my shoulder or in my warm jacket. They'd typically steal whatever I'm eating (sometimes taking the entire cookie and running off), and we would even watch TV peacefully under the covers. Quickly, I turn on my beat-up laptop, plug in my iPod to charge, and stare at the desktop. As I gaze, the song "Fade Away" by Breaking Benjamin begins to play.

Muttering the lyrics, I stare at the pictures of some of my favorite anime guys: Ranma from Ranma ½, InuYasha from InuYasha, and Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. I sigh and smile a little, feeling a bit of peace. I pause at a random picture of the Yu Yu Crew, everyone smiling ear to ear, even Hiei's eyes express a bit of cheer.

'I wish I could live in those worlds; they seem better...even bleeding looks awesome!'

Boyya softly licks my cheek, and I rub his 'cheek' with my finger. (Parrot checks are the same location as their earholes.)

"Oh, my little Shuichi..." I mutter, using my bird's real name. (My parrot has many nicknames; Sunny Boy, Boyya, Kun-kun) "If only they were real or...just here..."

My eyes wander to all my other pets. I have five different types of fish, a rabbit, and three other birds excluding Boyya and Ducky, who are the closest to me. All my animals are very friendly, my bunny Butterscotch is another 'doggie' in our household, and even the fish are pet-able!

Even with all the issues I have at home and school, My animals always make my day a little better; but since Ducky is gone it just...isn't the same.

Grabbing my wonderful music device, I shut the computer down and begin slipping my blue shoes on. Just when I'm about to tell my mother I'm ready to leave, I hear screaming, this time from people. My parents, to be precise.

"The neighbors might hear you, so shut up." I mutter, more to myself than to them.

'I seriously wish I knew how to drive, and then I'd never stick around this awful place...'

My school is in the next city over, and I have no choice but to be driven by my mother. With the whole blaming thing going on, I pretty much despise her; along with my father with his anger and cold mood swings. It sickens me to feel this towards the people who helped bring me into this world, but if I had known my life would be this painful, I would have forced myself to stop breathing six months in. I was born premature, so maybe I am a defective child. Maybe it's why my life's like this...

"I'll see you after school Kun-Kun, so be good okay?" I question as I hug and kiss my parrot; he smells like sweet baby shampoo. He licks me back, and tears start to sting in my eyes.

"Oh, you fuzz ball! I love you." I pretend to smile just for his sake before I enter the living room. He seems a little better today... I just hope I can cheer him up more.

Once again, screaming. It cuts me off before I can say anything out loud.

"You stupid bitch, I'll knock your fucking teeth out!" My father shouts in my mother's face. They are speaking in their native tongue Sinhalese.

"It's that little bitch's fault! Not mine, go scream at her! Kill her for all I care!" My mother shouts back at my father.

Bitter tears stung at my eyes again. And here I thought I was done being a sobby pessimistic teen. I try gritting my teeth to keep any tears from falling. I don't let anyone see me cry, because it's a sign of complete weakness (according to my parents). Then again, I'm a weakling. I refuse to cry, so I choose to bottle everything up, and act angry or cold myself.

Is this all really my fault? I question myself as I back away from the shouting in the living room.

My naive younger siblings (Traya is seven, while Chenara is five. Let's not forget my baby brother Dulvan who is almost two) don't really understand why my parents are screaming at one another, or why we all always seem to have short tempers. My parents have no idea how this affects our family...My dad blames my mom for everything, even the stupid things my sisters do. He used to drink heavily and hit her; and she wouldn't do anything to defend herself, because my dad brings home the paycheck for the rest of us.

My father is the only one who works and trying to support our big family is very difficult. If my parents weren't stuck in the mindset of the old Sri Lankan culture, things would be a lot different, maybe even better, but as the saying goes, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." They will never change; they aren't willing to. I don't ever think I'll reach a meeting point with my parents, since I have an 'Americanized' mind. Sorry mother and father, I believe men and women are supposed to be on equal terms!

Both my mother and father came to America nearly 21 years ago, yet they haven't done shit for their lives, at least nothing but hate each other. I hate them for it and hate myself for being the reason they fight, at least that is what I'm told. They say if a person hears a lie enough times, they will begin to believe it is true. Repeat falsehoods to make it an 'actuality'.

Since I started fifth grade, mother has been playing the blame game with me. I have to honestly wonder why I was even born. The physical abuse wasn't the worst of the infliction, mother's unkind words- she wishes for far worse than death to happen to me... Nearly all my walls have crumpled because the one person I used to love and rely on turned on me, even though she needs me. Oh, the irony.

I used to be able to deal fine with all the physical and verbal harassment I got from school with inner encouragement. I have always been the type to stand for what I believe in, and even get jerks to back off; and I enjoyed helping others, but when those things back-fire on you, betrayal cuts fairly deep.

With my constant absences and teachers who don't understand or are unsympathetic, my G.P.A declines rapidly. I have always been a sick kid so; school is a struggle for me. Being born a preemie (premature birth) has gifted me with asthma and a compromised immune system, oh joy!

Now, imagine having your mother scream at you every day, telling you how horrible and worthless you are- or choose to ignore her and gain a beating, all while trying to deal with your own conflicts, and to do your best to understand confusing schoolwork, it is not an easy task. Trust me, I'm trying, and it has yet to work.

Their screeching only seems to grow more violent, everyone in our apartment building must be used to it. If my father wasn't the manager, we would have been kicked out a long time ago.

"Oh, fuck it! I can't take it anymore..." I slam the door and run backpack already on hand, and soon I'm standing at the cross street, near this town's crappiest high school, which I refuse to attend, since I'm not into drugs or a member of a gang. I also don't think bringing guns and knives to school is very fun anyway.

"Damn asthma..." I huff, gasping for air and slowly beginning to calm down.

I plug my ear buds in and hear the song "Welcome to my life" by Simple Plan play.

"Dumb light, slow as ever..." I curse the stop-light and my mind wanders. If they really did care none of this would be happening...

The light finally turns green, stating for humans to cross. I walk a bit longer and come across another one of these stupid lights.

"Oh joy," I say, annoyed. Once again, my thoughts begin to depress me.

'I'm so useless to this world.'

I didn't even notice that I am crying until the tears run down my cheeks.

'And I should just kill myself.'

I step forward without thinking.

'Might as well die, everything will be better, all will be okay again...'

All thoughts flee from my mind when a blur of a red car is speeding towards me. Freezing up in fright, I wait for the impact, but instead someone yanks me around the waist to safety.

'Why would anyone save me of all people...?'

"Are you alright?" A calm male voice utters as he releases his grip around me. I can't help but to feel my face heat up tremendously. If this guy's voice could have a texture, I'd compare it to the finest of silk.

Slowly, I turn myself around and see...Kurama!? For a moment I think that I am dead, crazy, or in a coma. My mouth is wide open, gaping at the sight. My jaw is probably already on the ground, detached.

Yep, I knew it. I'm insane or dying.

"Miss..?"

He gently pats my arm, and a strong tingling sensation rages through my entire body. My veins feel as though fire has licked them, and I flinch slightly.

'What the hell...?' I think, and, as quick as it comes, it is gone.

Brushing off the creepy feeling, I gaze at him once more, drinking in his looks. He is wearing a black and gray striped long-sleeved shirt, and a pair of tight blue jeans. His red hair flows beautifully yet it still looks natural...and those intense green long-lashed eyes, seem to hold so many unknown mysteries. As strange as it is with his bizarre features, the dude simply glows like an angel. I'm unsure how to explain why it appears normal, so feel free to blame the shock.

I snap myself back into this world, thinking, 'Am I dreaming?!'

"Oh, I'm sorry. I get lost in thought a lot," I say feeling very foolish, and harshly rub at my eyes.

'Stupid tears....'

I quickly turn back around, plastering a half assed smile, hoping this guy doesn't notice my sobbyness.

"I noticed when I saw you walking," he says with a genuine smile.

I smile a little brighter; damn this guy is really cute!

His expression changes slightly, as he looks at me.

"But are you alright? I also noticed that you were crying..." Concern brushes over his face.

"Oh um, that...Uh..." I stutter quietly, trying to think of a good excuse. "Not at all! It's just my allergies." I finally reply.

'Thank God I do have them...'

"Hm...I see," he says and he glances at me skeptically.

'Crud. I don't think he believes me...either way why should it matter to him?'

"I didn't mean to pry, so don't feel any obligation to explain anything, unless you want to." He then states.

"Y-yeah..." I stammer. "But seriously it's nothing, no worries here!" I plaster a bigger smile upon my face.

"Well, what is your name miss?" He asks me.

"Oh, Aisha Dayani," I quickly mutter, trying to sound smart. Epic failure right there.

"My name is Shuichi Minamino," he says with another wonderful smile. "It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Aisha." He utters as he extends his hand for me to shake.

'He has some good flipping manners, just like Kurama would in the anime... Whoa dude, that is freaky...but cool.'

'I wonder how he'd react if I told him my bird shares his name...hm.'

I grin a bit mischievously and say, "It's nice to meet you as well."

For a moment he looks suspiciously confused, and I quickly wipe that ridiculous smile off my face.

Glancing at my phone, I check the time to see that it is 7:38 am.

If I rush, I won't be late to first period!

I didn't take note of it before, but he was, well quite tall. He must be at least six feet tall! I actually feel short for once. I stand at about 5'6. For my nationality, my mother and a lot of others act like I'm 10 feet tall but looking at this guy I can be at peace and feel somewhat normal.

"It appears I must go," Shuichi says. "I have to meet with a friend soon."

"Oh, okay," I reply, and begin to turn around. The sadness in my heart quickly returns, and I frown deeply.

'Too bad this dream can't last longer...'

"Oh, by any chance, are you attending that high school?" Kurama asks me, pointing to 'Lose-a-finger' (My town's crappiest High School's nickname).

"No-I go to North High, the one in Boreance."

"Isn't that a bit far from here?" He questions.

"Yeah I suppose it is." I say sheepishly. "But what choice do I have-"

Before I can finish, my phone goes off, playing the song: "Awake and Alive" by Skillet.

"Yes?" I answer it quickly.

"Aisha? Where are you?" questions my best friend Aurora.

"I'm close by my apartment."

"Do you know what time it is?"

"Yeah it's....7...45? Oh crap! I'll be late! I'll see you soon, bye!" I yell as I continue to freak out.

I hang up quickly and turn to see Kurama...Shuichi...him staring at me, blinking in complete confusion.

"It was, uh, nice meeting you!"

"Oh it's all right. I'll be-"

"Bye!" I run off forgetting what I was about to say, only worrying that I'm going to be late.

'Well that was pretty refreshing, I feel a lot better now. Though that guy just might have been a cos-player or maybe I really did bang my head on the pavement...hm...'

Kurama's POV:

" -going to that school as well; would you like a ride?" I finish, more to myself.

"Botan stated she'd be waiting at North High School to give me something. Seeing as this young woman, Aisha, was heading the same way, the polite thing to do would have been to offer her a ride; had she not run off.

I sigh. What an odd girl. Though, what was that strange feeling I got when I grabbed a hold of her? Perhaps it was my imagination?

Before I can add anymore to my thought, my phone starts to ring. Opening up my cell phone Koenma's face appears; binky bobbing in his mouth, he questions, "Have you found her yet?"

He is asking about a young female I was sent to this world to locate; had I not been side-tracked when I arrived. There was a pair of adults shouting in Sinhalese, which was a lost language from my own demon world. Suddenly, memories of the past and the culture surrounding it flooded back to me.

"No, not yet, I haven't reached the school." I reply.

"We must find her quickly! Do you not realize the serious danger this is to both worlds?!" Koenma stated adamantly.

"Koenma sir, you haven't really given me many details about this case, so I am a bit confus-"

"Ah, I found it!" Koenma suddenly exclaims.

"Found what exactly?" I question, a bit curious.

"My father and I went through the secret library and found a very old document that may hold some of the answers."

"Go on sir."

"The young girl you are supposed to be searching for is a half-demon with an astonishing power. It is so strong it can harness power to destroy or re-build worlds."

"Do you know what exactly the power does?"

"Exactly what it does? Unfortunately, no, I do not."

I resist the urge to face palm myself. The bluntness of his statement exposes his lack of knowledge regarding the matter...

"However, many signs have been appearing, and these events only happen once every Millenia."

"What sort of signs?"

"Holes and portals leading to other dimensions, not to mention zombie demons."

"Demons of the undead? Wouldn't that point to someone in particular?"

"Yes, but these demons aren't your regular dead guys, in fact it is impossible to stop them."

"Koenma Sir, anything is possible. Have you forgotten about our abilities? Considering we were able to defeat the Sensui Seven and bring peace to the war between The Three Kings- I am sure these undead creatures can be eliminated by destroying the brain cavity. To say that defeating these creatures is impossible, it's-"

"I know that, Kurama, it's just that- I'm terrified, and I'm not sure if we can stop them. From what was reported by the SDF, [Spirit World's Special Defense Force military group that is under King Yama's power] theses zombies can merge with freshly departed souls and still attack, thus making them much more difficult to eliminate. Even if Hiei were to use his Black Dragon, they can still reform from their ashes."

"We'll never know unless we try, right? Besides, I don't think Yusuke or Kuwabara would take it kindly if you were to assume such a failure about our missions."

"Yes, I suppose you're right...now as I was saying before, the female half-demon is unaware of her power; in fact, according to the document- if you don't find her soon, the seal that was placed on her will break on the date of her birth, January 17. However, my father even stated that this might be shaky information."

"If it's false, then how sure are you it isn't a trap of some sort?" I question, a bit bothered.

"Regarding the exact date, I have no other means of proof, but for the seal, I have this." Koenma holds up a pink heart-shaped gem, which glows softly.

"This, my father told me, was used to seal that girl's power, thousands of years ago. His great grandfather even did it himself. "

"Alright, I believe you, but do you have any other information available?"

"Actually, using a device called a Spirit Box Tracer, this can help track down any soul so long as you have some sort of fragment to trace with."

"What sort of fragment does the device require?" I inquire.

"I'm using the energy encased in this seal; however, DNA can also work as a fragment of a soul. Eventually, the Spirit Box Tracer will produce a current picture of the soul's vessel, but since this is only a prototype, the device is only able to pinpoint estimated locations, but I will continue to search. I suppose this device would work properly in our world."

"I understand, it's a shame that our search is literally in another dimension. I wonder if all our devices also face the same issues. So far, my powers and abilities have no qualms. As you've stated, not having a certain location will further the difficulty in locating her, but I'm concerned about that possibly inaccurate document of yours."

"I know, and I'm truly sorry about that Kurama. I will update you as soon as more information presents itself. I know with your cunning capabilities you will be able to progress and besides, the others are still on their mission in Russia; once they complete it, they will be joining you."

"When?"

"I'm not quite sure..."

I mentally grit my teeth in frustration and Youko growls;

^Damned brat and his foolish games...^

"For now, keep searching the local schools and popular public spots, and do the best you can. I also should inform you that there is potential that other demons may be after this girl as well."

^That's lovely. What else will arise in this chaotic mission? ^ The fox grumbles.

"Koenma, I should tell y-." I am cut off as George the bumbling blue ogre enters the room, shouting in fear.

I wanted to tell you about this human girl I met a few minutes ago...

^That female certainly had a strange aura. ^

I suppose you sensed it as well...Well it was very bizarre for a human.

"Koenma-sir! The demon attacks are becoming worse! They're gathering much more quickly than we originally thought!" The ogre yells dramatically.

"WHAT! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?" Koenma shrieks, his eyes bulging fairly large.

"Not to mention more portal holes are appearing!"

"WHAT!? Report this to my father immediately! I apologize Kurama, but I'll call you later when there are more updates. Goodbye."

BEEP This connection has been terminated. Thank you for calling Spirit world; have a nice day.

^How does he expect us to find this woman when there isn't that much information in the first place? Tch. Idiotic little bastard. ^

"Shhh, Youko, please stop." I say trying to get the spirit fox to calm down. I am not too happy about this whole situation either.

^I have been quiet for quite some time now. Let me out, it's my turn. ^

Not in this world Youko.

^Very well then, for now at least I will remain, but if something interesting happens I shall be waiting. ^

Youko returns to the deeper part of my mind, watching in anticipation.

Six months ago, Koenma partook in the brilliant idea of re-organizing the spirit lab for annual creations of new devices to aid in our missions and has even used various basic plans of my own conceptions. However, a month ago, there had been an accident with a soul transference experiment and Youko Kurama, who I once was has been manifested within me as an almost separate entity.

A portion of my power and soul has also been sealed within Youko, but I can transform only when my former self pleases, luckily, I can suppress him. The difficulty with that is Youko possesses a very different mindset from then, versus who I am today, and this causes more than enough conflict. He has stayed quite silent until now, and time to time he will have minor commentary; but currently he is starting to really irritate me with his consistent complaining.

Sometimes I ponder whether I should harm the ogre that spilled that concoction on me. The wretched creature has created this nuisance of me being almost bi-polar.

After my mental conversation with Youko, I locate where I parked Koenma's blaring red car. Finding it, I climb in and start the engine.

My thoughts head back to that girl, Aisha. What was that feeling I got when I touched her? And why did she somehow seem familiar?

I hope she isn't capable of transforming into one of those obsessive fangirls. Those females are very frightening and particularly bothersome. I chuckle at my silly thought, what does it matter if that were the case? That human may not have anything to do with this mission.

Glancing at the time, 7:47 am and revving the car's engine, I head towards the school, knowing that danger may be hiding where I least expect it.

To be continued...

My notes:

Yeah, my 2nd fanfiction ever!

The love I have for Kurama and YYH has overcome me in fan-fiction form! Just to let you know the stuff about Aisha's life is true, though parts have been slightly altered, care to guess what? :P

CoVid19 has given me an excuse to muse my old story. Perhaps I can finish this time around. After all, I started this story when I was 14 years old, and now I am 25 years old. 0-0

Thank you for reading, and please review! ^-^

Rock OUT & Peace ON!

~PiNkBuN17

In Loving Memory of Ducky(2011) and Butterscotch (2015), Rest In Peace.
Sign up to rate and review this story