Categories > TV > Doctor Who > Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space Series 1

Silver Lining

by Heppelino 0 reviews

Diana and David join the Doctor in the TARDIS, and their first trip is to the American Civil War - but quickly realise the Cybermen have arrived before them.

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2022-12-21 - 7345 words

0Unrated
The Union army reinforcements march into the outskirts of the town of Gettysburg, around the rural areas of the forest, predicting the movements of their Confederate counterparts. The Confederacy were beginning to withdraw from the area, or so word said, following the success of the Union attack. In the distance, a faint metallic step can be heard, followed quickly by another. A lone general orders the halt of his hundred large garrison, in order to investigate. The garrison stood silent, a true puppet of this general.

Silence befalls upon the wooded area; the Army relent on, unaware of the significant threat posed to them.
"Continue!" the lone general orders, with a euphoric response of cacophonic joy reciprocated as the Union troops march under the Star-Spangled Banner. It triggers a further metallic step from the unknown entity, yet the blissfully unaware Union continues to march forwards.

"The Second of July, Eighteen Sixty Three," the Union chief proclaims to his marching army. "The day that the tide of this war will change! The day that emancipation will be inevitable! The day the union stands!"
The men present scream in total agreeance, as they shall soon remark a victory of seismic significance.
"Delete..." a rather robotic voice said, and from the front, the general was eviscerated, causing great confusion for the majority of the garrison, and sheer panic in all. The metallic step emerged, as three Cybermen stepped out from behind the trees, and fired at the fleeing troops at will, with the vast majority deleted, in a decisive Cyber victory.

"Area cleared," the first Cyberman declares. "Clear Confederate victory."
*
"Of all the places in time and space you could've chosen, you pick Gettysburg in the middle of the American Civil War?" the Doctor exclaims, seriously confused by Diana and David's selection of time period, and place. "Anywhere and anywhen at all throughout the entire history and capacity of the universe, and you pick Pennsylvania? Seriously?"

Diana looks over to David to implore to the Doctor why they selected the region.
"We're quite excited when it comes to modern conflict and history, Doctor. And not many wars are as decisive as this one," David counterargues. "Besides, this is our trip and not just yours."
The Doctor sighs with clear disappointment. "This is my first trip in this body too, don't forget I was stuck in third world Portsmouth fighting literal Martians." Upon seeing the annoyance of the couple, he does remind himself that he indeed asked them to select the trip and promised to fulfill it. "Fine, it is your trip after all I suppose. But afterward, I've got a great planet to show you guys in the distant future. Tropical, gorgeous and bustling with life. Is that a deal?"

Diana smiles. "Can we get a clue about that planet?"
The Doctor relents. "No, of course not. That would just spoil the fun, wouldn't it?" He smugly grins, as he sets the TARDIS to land in Gettysburg in the midst of the battle in 1863. "Besides, you're new around here! You wouldn't have a clue what planet it would be!"
*
The TARDIS materialises just behind the town hall, in the hands of the Confederacy, who had held the town for the last twenty-four hours. This was against the knowledge of Diana and David, who maintained that the town never fell into Confederate hands during the entire battle, and upon exiting the TARDIS and being greeted by a large Confederate flag, they protest to the Doctor that something is wrong.
"We're pretty certain that, at least on July 2, Gettysburg wasn't in Confederate hands," Diana begins to the Doctor, a revelation that intrigues him. "In fact, I'm sure it didn't fall into Confederacy hands throughout the entire battle, because the Union victory here was so decisive for the entire war."

The Doctor was impressed by this show of knowledge from Diana. "I'll take your word for it over mine," he began. "I don't know much specifically about this battle. I don't exactly know everything. Even if it looks it." He winks at his companion duo.
Made nervous by the situation, Diana reaches for David's hand as the pair follow the Doctor investigating the area for any signs of 'temporal whoopsies'.
"Temporal whatsies?" David asks, so remarkably confused by the Doctor's humourous labelling.

"Temporal whoopsies," the Doctor says, with as serious a face as if he was still combating in the Time War. "Signs of disturbance in the timeline of an established historical event by a third party or parties, either domestic or foreign to that species."
"Couldn't think of a better name for it?" Diana asks, rather amused.
The Doctor turns to face his following companions. "I'm being very, very serious here. I can smell something sinister. Something familiar. I just can't figure out what."
He furrows his brow, to hammer home the seriousness of the situation. "If what you're saying is right, and the Confederacy shouldn't have this city on this day," he begins, especially looking at Diana, "then we have a problem. Because this conflict is pivotal for contemporary human history, and whatever is trying to interfere from the outside definitely does not have human characteristics."
Diana is puzzled. "Why can't it be human?"

"Because the people of today have no idea of the importance of this battle in the tomorrow. Whatever is here trying to change your history, does. Wielding knowledge not of this time, not of this day," the Doctor proclaims, before pivoting around and turning to face the opposite direction to keep walking. "Now, let's keep looking for those whoopsies." He flicks his velvet jacket back and stuffs his hands in his pockets, as Diana and David share an excited, yet extremely worried, look.

*
The three Cybermen return to the rendevous point to discuss the course of action to be taken. At the rendevous point, a delighted representative for CSA President Jefferson Davis welcomed the victorious returning Cyber trio and congratulated them on their successful defeat of the pursuing Union army. Upon the entry of the Cyber trio, he stands from his chair, and greets them most profoundly.
"Most congratulations from the President!" the representative celebrates, having a handshake rebuffed by the emotionless Cybermen. "It is time to commence the next phase of the invasion of Pennsylvania!"

"Our mission is complete," the first Cyberman responded to the head of the operation. "Confederate victory secured in Gettysburg."
The third Cyberman interrupts and notes an upgrade in software, alerting the third Cyberman to an alarming presence he must share with his comrades. "Large traces of Artron energy detected within vicinity of Gettysburg."
"Artron energy means a TARDIS is near. Likely to be the Doctor, or another Time Lord," the second Cyberman says.
"The Doctor? Doctor Who, might I ask?" the representative acquires.

"Cybermen do not answer questions," the second, yet most twisted voice Cyberman responds. The three Cybermen depart the rendevous point, with the representative attempting to follow. The first Cyberman notices, and throws the man back into the room, into the chair upon which he sat when the Cybermen entered the rendevous area. Behind them, the door closes and locks, and the new Cyber mission is to locate the source of the large Artron energy.

*
Diana began to exhaust and get irritated - they had been trudging for such a long time, but yet nothing of note had been identified. David waned too, but the Doctor still seemed so inhumanely energetic. Probably because he is inhumane.
"Doctor, we've been walking for ages. You haven't found anything yet!" Diana moans, her feet beginning to feel pain. David tapped her almost disapprovingly, but in agreement. She turned to face her partner and expressed her annoyance through facial expression, before the Doctor suddenly stopped right in front of them, causing the pair to nearly walk straight into him.

"You could at least give us a heads up instead of just stopping and us nearly walking into you!" an even more clearly irritated Diana said to the Doctor.
"Shush," the Doctor proclaims. "I think I've found something."
"Doctor, you've not said anything for what seems like an eternity. What are you doing?" David mentions.
The Doctor crouches and places his hand on the ground, before ripping up some earth and licking it, with Diana and David looking on in some disgust. The Time Lord seemed slightly perplexed, raising an eyebrow, before licking the other side, before realising. The Doctor stands back up and throws the earth to the ground.

"I knew it," the Doctor said. David tapped him on the shoulder, before he realises he's not on his own anymore. "Sorry! I forgot. Just so used to doing this stuff on my own."
Diana and David looked upset for the Doctor; whoever he used to be must've been a lonely man, or a lonely woman.
"So what is it? What did you know then?" David asks, ready for pretty much any answer after what happened in Portsmouth with the Ice Warriors. "Because I'm sweating profusely here and I need a break, so you can do the talking."
"The ground tastes slightly metallic. Could be human, could not be human. But I do have and good idea what it could be. Ran into them many times, even in other universes," the Doctor begins to explain.

Diana interjects. "I think I've heard something about them before. War machine kind of things, they're designed to try and convert other species?"
"A little," the Doctor answers. "They quite like to quote 'upgrade' other species, but also just kill because that's how they roll."
"But we're literally in the middle of the American Civil War? I know a lot about this conflict but anybody would know that metal robots weren't around in the 1860s," Diana mentioned, rather obviously.
"I never said Time Lords was the only species that could time travel," the Doctor responded, scanning his surroundings.
"What the hell is a Time Lord? And what are those metal things called? And is this so regular for you?" David enquired, slightly flustered and panicked.
"My species, Cybermen and absolutely!" the Doctor chimes, with a broad smile on his face.
"Time Lord? You're literally human looking," David adds.

"Why do I always get that..." the Doctor whispers to himself, before raising his voice so the pair can hear. "We came first, you look like us." David looked at the Doctor with total confusion.
"You two, stop bickering about who came first and let's figure this out," an even more irritated Diana commands.

Whilst conversing after the Doctor threw the earth to the ground, the trio had continued walking forwards in the city, gaining looks from Confederate soldiers. The Doctor rebuffs each with a glaring stare.
Looking around, Diana and David lock eyes and share an exciting yet petrified smile. That smile morphs into a confused and skeptical straight face for the pair, as they realise that an audible groan and a faint cry for help could be heard nearby, in fact in the rundown shackled building directly adjacent to them. To check, David places his ear to the wall of the building and can clearly hear the cries.

"Ugh... help..." a voice clearly struggling said. David and Diana knew they had to help. The Doctor, oblivious to what was going on, continued to look eagle eyed around for clues to the potential location of the Cybermen. No such luck.

*
The Doctor bemoaned his lack of leads, cursing under his breath.
"Still freshly regenerated. Brain still needs to patch together properly..." he says quietly to himself.
"Doctor!" Diana shouts, to finally gain his attention, and succeeding. "There's somebody in pain in here!". The Doctor runs over to catch up to them, and can detect the sound waves of the man in agony. Realising that the locked door was wooden, so therefore the sonic screwdriver would have no use, himself, Diana and David began to beat at the door, attempting with all their might to break it open.

Finally, the hinges of the door give in, and break away as the door collapses to the ground, leaving the trio stood at the doorway. The Doctor leads into the shackled house ahead of the couple, in case of any suspicion or traps. All he sees is a damaged base, a broken chair, and a severely injured man on top of it. Declaring the area as all clear, he gestures for Diana and David to enter.
"All safe, come on in," he says. The Doctor points out the man to Diana. "Are you able to take a look? Couple of broken bones it looks like. Not long until his appendix bursts."
"I'm only a rookie nurse according to UNIT," Diana begins. "And aren't you the doctor around here?"

"It's just a title, doesn't mean I'm a doctor in the way humans refer to it," the Doctor replies.
"So you have the title, or name, whatever, of 'Doctor', without actually being a doctor?" David asks, rather surprised and slightly offended that an alien would take a human title with no backing.
"Well, I do hold a doctorate in mechanics, movie watching and fun," the Doctor quirks back. "Besides, the word 'Doctor' may have even come from me, no matter if I like that or not."

David raises his eyebrow in suspicion. "There is no way that the word 'Doctor' came from you? There have been doctors for millennia! And your planet doesn't even speak English!"
Scoffing, the Doctor begins scanning the area with his new, sleek sonic screwdriver. "We speak everything. Well, spoke. Haven't popped back home for a while. Not awfully keen after the last time I went there. Not even sure anything lives on it right now." His face falls after remembering that day, where everything he knew was suddenly edited. "Still, I've been around here for millennia myself. I was in 100,000 BC with my granddaughter. I even saw the formation of the Earth itself with a random bride, and its early days with an adorable Blackpool teacher whilst hunting for ghosts like it's a 1980's classic."

"Granddaughter?" Diana retorts in shock, taking her eyes off of the injured man she was attending to.
The Doctor looks offended by the fact she is surprised he has a granddaughter. "I'm over 3,000 years old, don't let the face fool you. Seventeen faces, sixteen Doctors."
"Then what about the other one?" she quickly replied back.
"Long story. I couldn't call myself the Doctor back then, even with hindsight," he answers. Satisfied, he switches off his sonic and comes to a conclusion that clearly worries him. "Enough about my past for now. This is quite serious. Cybermen, and with traces of artron energy all around. Perhaps a matter transporter, adapted to take through time as well," the Doctor ranted.

Still unsure as to why they would bother picking here, or what the building they are in is, he paced up and down the room. On his third pacing, he realises there is only one chair, now destroyed, and three holes in the floor of equal size. "Oh. That took me longer than usual. New body, bit of a slower brain, usually is early days."

The Doctor inspects the three holes, scanning them with the sonic screwdriver. "These are charging pods. This has to be a sort of rendezvous for the Cybermen, and this is where their base is. And clearly, if they need recharging pods, they're Cybermen with a battery as bad as an iPhone. Three holes, three Cybermen. "
"We can't stay in here too long than, Doctor. The three of them could return here any second. And they would know that the guy over there isn't dead," David correctly points out. The Doctor nods in agreement, attempting to devise a plan for their next steps.

"He's got a broken collarbone and a slightly cracked spine. You know, if anyone wanted to ask," Diana mentions. The Doctor, visibly annoyed that his thinking process was disrupted, looks blankly at Diana, who returns an apologetic look.

Six seconds later, the Doctor triumphantly proclaims he's figured out what to do.
"Got it! I've got it!" he cheers, petrifying Diana, making David chuckle. "They're relying on these recharging pods, and clearly have matter transports here. This rendezvous, while disguised, is basically everything to them. Discovery causes compromise, and that's why they need the whole of Gettysburg!"
David applauds. "That was quick. Back to normal speed?" The Doctor replies with a simple thumbs up. "So, what do we do then?"
The Doctor cracks his knuckles. "Second of July? I'm sure the Union win tomorrow. And because of Cyberman intervention, they're not on track." He pauses to think of a way to resolve the situation.

"The easiest way would be to allow the Cybermen to just pick off the Confederate soldiers, leading them into here, and then we figure out what to do with them, so the Union walk in unopposed. But, that's murder. And I do NOT like the bloody option. So we have to think of a way to get rid of the Cybermen, and allow for the Union to take Gettysburg at exactly this time tomorrow, on the Third of July."
*
Whilst the Doctor continues to think of a solution involving minimal to no bloodshed, David walks over to Diana, still attempting to alleviate the pain of the man. He crouches down next to her, and reaches for her hand. Diana accepts, and grips it. Behind, the Doctor watches with a smile, knowing how difficult the past few weeks since the Ice Warrior invasion, and however long before, had been for them. He continues to develop his plan.

"This is incredible..." David starts. "Aliens, time travel, AND with you. Couldn't ask for more."
Diana takes a second to respond. "Yeah. Especially at events that spike my interest - our interest."
David smiles at her. "I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions with the Doctor when we faced the Ice Warriors, and for all the other-"
"Let's talk about this later," Diana interjects again. "There are more important things going on right now. But yes, this is unbelievably amazing." The two smile at each other again.

"Got it, the second time now!" The Doctor chimes with delight. "My God, this new brain is brilliant! All it took was a little settling in."
David rises to his feet and walks over to the Doctor, with an inquisitive eyebrow raised.
"So, I think what is easier is to remove the Cybermen from the equation first, and then fix it to make sure the Union wins tomorrow's battle. Bam bam bam, history is safe, America wins the war, McDonald's is still created and we can go to that planet I promised after this."
"Three big metal death machines with lasers and guns against two humans, half of another one and a not-even doctor?" David inquires, slightly doubting again.

"There's never any winning with you!" The Doctor says, with a cheeky smile. "For the record, I am not a doctor. I am THE Doctor. The definitive article, you might say."
"You can't even be a doctor in moving watching!" David replies.
"Hey! Tell that to 58th century University of the South Moon," the Doctor answers, with offence taken. "I watched the four Toy Story movies. Great fun. Anyway, plan!"

The Doctor joins Diana in the presence of the injured man, unknown to them.
"Hi, sorry for not properly introducing ourselves," he directs to him. "I'm the Doctor, and these two are Diana and David, and I'm sorry to see you're in so much pain, but if you don't help, there could be a lot more of that for your command and the entire planet."
The man had seen his pain significantly reduced by the excellent work of Diana, clearly better than that automated car voice thought she was.
"My name.. is Direct-or Carl Hendy. One of those... things... threw me here. They were supposed to be on our side..." Hendy begins, speaking through puffs of air, as his body tries to heal.

Disappointed, the Doctor facepalms. "Broken bones and yet I don't feel at all sorry for you. The human race, you see a bunch of metal men and you think 'Definitely on our side'. Aren't you programmed to fear the unknown, like you do the darkness?"
"They promised... us to win the war... for a free Confederacy..." he continued. "A free Confederacy..."
"Not exactly free when you dedicate your country to outdated slavery and fight a war over it!" an upset Diana spits, acclaiming an impressed smile from the Doctor.
"Those blacks... are our property... and they want to convert them. To help... I had no choice... but they promised us..." Hendy continued.

David places his ear to the wall. He was sure he could hear footsteps of some kind.
"First of all, 'those blacks' are far more human than you ever will be. Second of all, I need more. Where, when you first encountered them. And what they did the last time you saw them, when they injured you like this," the Doctor commands, clearly aggravated by the racial slur.
"Erm... Doctor," David says.
"Not now, David!" The Doctor quickly responds.
"No... why don't you ask them yourself?.." David finishes.
The Doctor's eyes widen, and he turns, and stands up, as does Diana.

The three Cybermen had found them. And stood directly at the doorway...
*
The trio of the TARDIS stood to face the trio of Cybermen, who finally located the presence of the Doctor.
"Confirmed: a new face of the renegade Time Lord, known as the Doctor," the first Cyberman confirms after scanning him.
"Yep, that's me, new face, just on. The cold and now you. So, I'm the Doctor as you know, and my friends here are Diana and David. The guy on the floor with multiple broken bones - overkill, by the way - let me have a little clue about what you're up to. Want to correct him?" the Doctor spoke with such speed, that Diana and David looked on in confusion that anybody could talk so fast. The Doctor notices their confused faces. Addressing them, he simply whispers, "Sorry. I'm the Lord of Time."

*
Union soldiers continue to approach Gettysburg, after regrouping from the Cyberman attack at dawn.
On the scene was Officer George G. Meade, bemused as to why the first assault was called off. The few remaining troops from the deadly assault from the Cybermen were too frightened to speak up, bar one.
"These metal things, they shot at us!" he panicked.
Meade laughed. "Metal things that shot at you? You mean guns, soldier?"
"No, Sir! Metal men! Actual metal men! With weaponry I've never seen before, but they were certainly Confederate, Sir!" the soldier retorted. The remaining soldiers nodded in agreement, with further reinforcements in agreement.

Meade looked confused. "Nonsense, still. But our men are few, and the Rebels are many. We will renew our assault, tomorrow. The Third of July, Eighteen Sixty Three!"
*
"The Doctor is an enemy of the Cybermen. The Doctor will not be told the plans of the Cybermen," the twisted voice of the second Cyberman proclaims.
The Doctor chuckles. "I think the Doctor will be told, or he'll tell you what he thinks and you'll have to correct him."
The second Cyberman steps forward, causing Diana and David to take a step back, but leaving the Doctor entirely unfazed.
"I'm over 3,000 years old, and I've kicked your arse out of many a place. Canary Wharf, a spaceship orbiting a black hole, hell even in parallel universes and on distant planets. One step is going to faze me," the Doctor defiantly states.

The second Cybermen retraces the step. "You will tell us what you think our plan is."
The Doctor revels in this. "Finally, I get to talk for a prolonged period of time again; firstly, how you got here," he begins, pacing up and down the room whilst constantly looking up at each of the three Cybermen. "Artron energy and matter transporters make me think you were sent here on a mission back through a time I haven't quite figured out, but don't need to bother to. Correct?" The Cybermen stood in silence. "I will take that as a yes - secondly, your mission in the first place. Biggest battle in the American Civil War, huge turning point and a lot dead..." the Doctor begins, before realising something else. "You've tried this before, converting dead people, and you're here to try it again on a smaller scale! And you think I wouldn't notice!"

The third Cyberman interrupts. "The first attempt was a tactical error - led by another of your kind, Doctor."
"One, don't interrupt me, that's rude, and two, don't blame the Master for you being absolute rubbish," the Doctor says directly in the face of the third Cyberman. "Plenty of dead, plenty to convert. Even the Confederates offered their slaves for protection, and assistance. You seem a little desperate to me guys. Just the one question," the Doctor stops and stands right where he was before his rambling.

"Why are you stuck here?"
"Your matter transport isn't working anymore. Did you fail and Cyber command are cutting their losses?" he mocks.

"Correct," the first Cyberman says.
"Always knew you were awful at your jobs. So why are you still trying to convert? Just give up!" the Doctor argues.
"Conversion for survival. We are not welcome in 1863," the third Cyberman proclaims.
"You're not welcome anywhere, I've seen what you do before!" Diana shouted. "Nobody wants you anywhen or anywhere!" The emotionally charged and passionate proclamation triggers a look from all three Cybermen, and the Doctor to gesture for David to calm her down, confused as to why the Cybermen invoke such emotional upset in his new companion.
"She is right though, nobody on this planet particularly wants you at any point. I was the one telling you that," the Doctor chimes, with a smug grin detailing every time in his past lives he defeated the Cybermen.

"We are stuck, there is no choice," the third Cyberman states.
"There is always a choice," the Doctor states, approaching the three Cybermen. "I'm the Doctor, and the history books tell you I know that more than anyone. Don't tell me there is not a choice. There always is, and sometimes you might have to look for it."
"There is emotion detected within you and your associates. Emotion denoted weakness and uncertainty," the third Cyberman - seemingly the leader of the trio - states.
"See, this is why I never liked you guys. You criticise what literally makes every other living sentient organic species that aren't in tin suits like you or the Daleks feel little for having emotions," the Doctor, annoyed, mentions, whilst flicking the suit of the second Cyberman.
"Do not touch me," the second Cyberman demands.

"Or what? You won't delete me, will you? You're too frightened to do that, as always. For creatures with no emotion, you like to show a lot of fear around me," the Doctor says. "Your final chance - a compromise. We fix your matter transport for a one-way trip back to the original location, Cyber command."
"Cybermen do not compromise," the second Cybermen replied with his sadistic voice.
The Doctor rolls his eyes so hard, it almost felt like to him they're popping out of their sockets. "Reckoned you'd say that. So I thought of another plan whilst you took an age to say no."
The Cybermen converge.
"A plan that cannot be carried out with only one personnel," the third Cyberman said. Judging by the Doctor's face, yes, it needed the three of them. The Cybermen knew that and pointed their weaponry at Diana and David, the duo paralysed by fear.
"Delete..."
*
Officer Meade retreats to his quickly built sheltered office to conduct the war effort from there. He was still so confused by the alleged presence of metal men that were alluded to by his men. There were a few options he could contemplate. Does he signal for higher authority that takes over the situation, or could this be his moment to truly impress a President Lincoln growing distasteful of him? Hell, those soldiers could've been hallucinating for all he knows. They retreated like cowards, so they would of course develop a cowardly story as to why they ran away.

One of the few remaining soldiers burst into the room, as the day began to turn to night, and the Sun set.
"Sir! We cannot go back there tomorrow!" he pants, the most frightened look of all on his eyes.
Meade growls. His mind was now made up after a soldier believed he knew what to do more than he did.

"We follow the orders of President Lincoln. Soon, when the Sun rises, on this Third of July, we establish control over Gettysburg, and strike a blow - a decisive blow - in the great state of Pennsylvania!" Meade declares.
"This is the day that the war is won!"
*
The Doctor had to think of something quickly, or this fun little history tour would turn into the death of the two people who helped him find his feet with this new face. He was always so quick in his mind. Don't forget, his perception of time is far different to any companion he has ever had. And this once more, was another instance.
The Doctor zones out of the room, something he has perfected over his 3,000 years and previous sixteen incarnations.
-
The Doctor's POV - Mind Palace
Okay. Back to thinking. Hello Doctor. Cybermen, poised to shoot. Not long. Potentially about two seconds. Bit less than the Ice Warrior time. Shut up Doctor, use the time wisely and get thinking!

Three Cybermen reliant on recharging pods... so cannot be entirely pure Cybermen! The matter displacement through time must've tampered with their biological structure. Well, if you can call it biological. They're metal with human brains.


Their emotional inhibitors seem to be functioning... so they must have some traces of regular Cybermen characteristics. But the charging pods must do more than just 'recharge their batteries'! It must restore their inhibitors!
The Doctor looks at the three Cybermen.
I am sorry. I'm really, really sorry.
-
Lunging behind him, the Doctor in the remaining second uses the sonic screwdriver to short circuit the Cybermen recharging pods, causing the exact event he predicted. In the split second after, the trio of Cybermen lower their armed weaponry from preparing to delete the Doctor's new friends. Beyond that, they collapse to their knees, as the converted humans from long ago finally realise what they are.

What they've become. What they were cruelly converted into against their will.

As the three scream and cry, the Doctor looks on, sombrely but knowing he had no other real alternative, proving the three Cybermen right that yes, sometimes there is no other way.

The screaming gives way as the three Cybermen collapse, and their glowing eyes turn off, as their brains shut down in panic, and their fragile hearts break. Diana and David look on in horror, juxtaposing the Doctor's look of sorrow and apology.

"I don't even know what species is in those suits, it must've been that long. I can't even tell HOW long they've been Cybermen either," the Doctor says, kneeling and using his sonic screwdriver to finally put the trio out of their misery. "I think this version of me is quite emotional. And there's nothing wrong with that..."

Diana and David breathe a huge sigh of relief. For the second time already in the few weeks of knowing him, the Doctor had saved their life, and probably the lives of many others.
"For a guy who just saved our lives, you don't seem too pleased," Diana pokes her head out to say.
The Doctor rubs his eyes. "I don't like it when I have to do that. They were people of a species like you were, once upon a time. Innocent, maybe. Just like you two." He rises back to his feet. "Part one, done. The Cybermen aren't in the picture anymore. But the Union army strength is significantly smaller than it should be during this battle, and in the direct confrontation I predict they will lose if we don't intervene." The Doctor walks over to Hendy, whose now managed to sit himself up.

"The Confederate army strength, how much?" the Doctor enquires. Hendy looks back at him, clearly refusing to tell him as he believes he's on the side of the Union. "Don't play games with me, I just saved your life and now I'm trying to make sure history plays its correct course. Tell me or else I'll lose the semblance of patience I've got left."

Hendy looks into the eyes of the Doctor, his fury and growing impatience evident. He didn't know who he was, or what he was capable of, or what he has done in the past. Gulping, he knew that he had to tell him.
"Something around 73,000," he says, detectable panic in his voice.

The Union had seen a large garrison deleted in the woods around 24 hours ago. The Doctor knew that the Confederate troops had to be decreased in number in a similar manner, but he wanted to minimise the bloodshed, clearly upset by the way the three Cybermen met their fate.
All of a sudden, Diana speaks up. "Trick them!" The Doctor turns to face Diana and raises his eyebrow, wanting to know more. "There's an injured general here, how about we trick them by ordering them here, and having the Union capture them?"
It wasn't ideal; it still saw men become POWs. But for history, time was still ticking. And this was the best plan they had.
"It'll do," the Doctor smiles, before looking at David. "You should keep her around, wonderful brain. And so have you. Diana and David, head to the woods and improvise. Make sure the Confederate troops march on to Gettysburg, but here in the rendezvous. I'll stay here for now, with Carl, before I alert the Union upon their arrival. Great team, us three!"
Diana and David exchange a look of content, pleased to be helping history take the course it has to, and the Doctor looks on with a faint smile once more.
"Look at you, Doctor," he thought. "Playing matchmaker."
*
Some time later, Diana and David run out the woods, prepared to 'improvise' as the Doctor said.
"I have no idea about what we should do!" Diana shouts, as David runs ahead.
"Follow my lead!" her partner retorts.
"Why is there so much damn running?" Diana pants. David, eyes fixated forward, raises his arms to signal 'No idea'.
And finally, they bump into the Confederate soldiers, who they knew would be at the exact position in the woods, given how the battle went.

"General Hendy..." David pants, forcing the raised eyebrow of the leader of the large unit of Confederate troops. "Union men... they shot him! He needs attention! And they're in the town now pillaging it!"
"My name is General Lee. Robert Lee. To prove it, you can show us," Lee states. David expected this to be the case, so fervently nods his head in agreement.
"We better hurry! The wound looked awful. I managed to stem the bleeding, Sir, but we must hurry," Diana quickly mentions, adding to the discomfort of General Lee.
"President Davis would not be best pleased if his personal messenger and General is incapacitated. Thank you for your alerting," Lee remarks.

Diana and David hastily share a glancing smile.
"Oh no, thank you!" David chimes, aimed at Lee, causing a small chuckle from Diana, as they and Lee led the unit of Confederate troops to the rendezvous.
*
Concurrently, the Doctor sat with Carl, timing how long he believed it would take Diana and David to alert the attention of the Confederacy.
"Who are you, Sir Doctor?" Hendy asks, with slight panic in his eyes. "And how did you, three Brits, end up here?"
"Oh, I'm not British," the Doctor states. "I just sound it."

The Doctor examines the matter transports, realising there is power for one more trip away. He decides to send the three deceased Cyber suits away, but unable to send them through time, he uses the sonic screwdriver to select the planet Mondas.
"Then where are you from, man?" Hendy enquires again.
"Back to being called 'man' again, eh? Little place called Gallifrey is where I'm from..." the Doctor remarks, with a smile as he looks up and remembers his childhood in his "first" incarnation, before realising Hendy would have no idea where that is. "...in southern Canada. We came here because the Union have erm... upset us before."
Hendy doesn't believe the Doctor. "You seem to know how this battle ends." The Doctor stands and heads for the door of the building. "That is impossible, Sir."

The Doctor, now facing the broken door, smiles. "I'm quite impossible." With that, and holding the door up, he uses his sonic screwdriver to repair the hinges of the door. Unable to lock it using his sonic screwdriver, he moves the remaining wooden furniture towards the door to block it off, to the confusion of Hendy, unaware of his plan.

Upon conclusion of moving the furniture, the Doctor climbs over and stands at the doorway. "Right, I best be off. Nice meeting you. Hope Union capture isn't too bad!" He closes the door behind him, much to the arguing of Hendy, but who cannot move due to his wounds and broken bones. The Doctor begins to walk away from the building, now contemplating on how and when to get the Union troops into the area. His mental timing suggests that Diana and David must've attained the attention of the Confederacy by now, and that he must hurry in order for the plan to work. He is correct, yet again, in his assessment.

The Doctor begins to run, his red velvet jacket and blue shirt hopefully going to attract the Union due to the similar colours to the flag of the United States of America.
"No tie, helpful for large amounts of running!" he thinks. "Such a frequent thing in my day job."
A few minutes later, the Union troops marching in to reclaim the city from the south are near the Doctor. Giving Diana and David maximum time to get the Confederate troops into the region, the Doctor devises hastily a plan to stall them before their march to the once rendezvous for the Cybermen, and now the rendezvous for the plan to save the war.

The Doctor waves his arms in the air, attempting to gain the attention of the Union troops, and succeeding.
"Oi! Confederates!" the Doctor shouts, alarming Officer Meade. "Confederates! In Gettysburg! We can capture a huge unit of infantry!"
"Who the hell are you?" Meade enquires.
"Oh, I'm just a guy walking around. I heard someone called 'Lee' was in charge of the unit?" the Doctor mentions, knowing that'll tip Meade into investigating his claims. Meade breathes heavily.
"I do not know you, you must prove you are of Union reliance," Meade demands. The Doctor understands; who would just believe a Brit? So he flashes his psychic paper.

"A representative of President Lincoln himself," he says, a claim backed up the psychic paper. "John Smith, dispatched here to check up on the Gettysburg progress. But we cannot be too hasty - we mustn't be flanked by the Confederacy."
The Doctor walks on slowly, with Meade taking a second, before gesturing for the unit to follow him.
*
The Confederate unit arrive at the rendezvous point, led to there by Diana and David. At first, Lee cannot hear any groans. Hendy, silent out of fear that it may be Union infantry, makes no noise to wait for them to pass.
"A lie! Deception..." Lee shouts.
This sparks the ear of Hendy, who shouts for help at the top of his lungs. The cry rather embarrasses Lee, who receives an uncomfortable look from both Diana and David for not trusting them.
"My apologies," Lee admits, bowing. Lee attempts to open the door, but notices it has been blocked off - as the Doctor did earlier. He then faces his men. "This door, open it!"
The first three men from the unit hound at the door, before the enhanced hinges finally give way after minutes of pounding, and the unit floods in to find the injured Hendy. Hendy attempts to speak to Lee, presumably to warn him about the Union approach, but Lee does not allow Hendy's speech, instead being attended to by Confederacy medics.

"Sir!" one medic declares. "There is no gunshot wound!"
"But there are severe injuries, no?" Lee questions.
"Correct, but they are broken bones from the back, not from any gun weaponry," the medic responds.
Lee finally realises this was a trap all along, despite earlier signs that he dismissed. To save himself, he notices that it may not be long until the Union arrives, and flees, leaving the remaining infantry unit remarkably confused, but leaving a worried Hendy.
Watching the terrified Lee flee from afar, Diana and David chuckle, realising that they were the main reason that the Union won the decisive Battle of Gettysburg.

A man comes to stand at the door.
"Lee!" the clearly agonised Hendy musters a shout.
It was not General Lee. It was the same man from 'southern Canada' that now stands at the door.
"Hello!" the Doctor chimes. "Drop your guns, brought some friends."
The Confederate soldiers turn to face the Doctor, Meade and the vastly more organised and superior Union soldiers. With no leader, every troop drops their weapon, and surrenders to the Union.

And with that, was the decisive blow of the Third of July, Eighteen Sixty Three, that allowed for the Union to retake Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and halt the Confederacy's invasion of the Union.
*
Back in the TARDIS, Diana and David enter after exploring more of the surrounding area, to see the Doctor sat at his console, feet up, eating a packet of pork scratchings.
"Wonderful invention, these," he says, showing them the packet. "Fantastic innovation."
The TARDIS groans, telling the Doctor to get his feet off of the console.

"Alright, alright, calm down dear," he says, taking his feet down, but remaining seated.
"I still can't get over this place," Diana grins broadly. "And I can't get over what we've done in the last two days either!"
David applauds the new sleek looking TARDIS, with her Victorian console and golden time rotor, and gorgeous orange walls and black floors. "Amazing, Doctor. Truly so much fun," he says. "Although one day, you've got to tell us more about yourself. And your past adventures." The Doctor nods in seeming agreement. Further, he smiles and stands up, to approach the TARDIS console.

"Kinstarno," the Doctor suddenly says, remembering.
"Kins-what?" Diana says, with an extremely perplexed look on her face, trying to figure out what on Earth the Doctor means.
"Kinstarno!" he shouts again, running around the console. "The planet I was on about! Rain bathing, tropical planet. Gorgeous place. Fantastic restaurants." The Doctor begins to enter the details of the planet's location into the TARDIS.
Diana and David breathe, and relax, knowing that the next trip will be a wonderfully relaxing one. And then they realise...
"This will be our first alien planet!" they shout in unison. The Doctor cannot contain his delight.

"Diana Walker, David Redgrave," he starts, looking at his new friends. "Welcome, to the universe."

The Doctor pulls the dematerialisation lever, and the TARDIS goes into flight. Diana and David exchange an excited look with each other, and then the Doctor, who reciprocates, before their eyes fixate on the spinning time rotor.

Space and time. Their playground.
*
Next time:
Back from travelling the cosmos, the Doctor, Diana and David visit the Earth in the 26th century, specifically Australia. But something is looking to dial up the heat, and turn the country into a hellish wasteland...
Sign up to rate and review this story