Categories > Cartoons > Daria > Silent Cynic

Getting to Know You

by DrT 0 reviews

Daria makes friends with Brittany; Daria, Jane, and Quinn learn more about each other

Category: Daria - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Brittany,Daria,Jane - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2024-08-06 - Updated: 2024-08-13 - 4204 words - Complete

0Unrated
The Silent Cynic
By Dr. T

Chapter 2 – Getting to Know You


Lawndale in some ways had a simple student school daily schedule along with a trimester marking system. Classes were divided into seven periods plus homeroom and lunch, and alternated as either A or B days. There were five regular periods and two short classes (30 minutes), one at the beginning and one at the end of the day. In the morning, the band and orchestra met every day and there were classes like wood, metal, and auto shop; various ‘home-ec’ classes; and vocational classes. Students taking none of these classes had study hall. Jane had taken a different selection each trimester the previous year (sewing, wood shop, metal shop), and had no interest in taking others. That had fulfilled the minimum school requirements. Quinn and Daria had taken enough similar classes in Middle School that they did not need to take any. Daria was thinking about doing one of the computer classes the next session, once she determined if they would be useful or redundant.

The last period was an activities period for sanctioned school clubs, and study hall for those not involved. Some students with after-school jobs were allowed to leave during the last period. The intermural golf club met on B days when (weather permitting) they would go and practice various shots at a practice range set up behind the football field. In the late spring, they would play at some of the local links on Saturdays. Quinn would meet with the Pep Squad on A days. Jane spent the period either in one of the art rooms or study hall as the mood struck her.

Students were expected to take four or five regular classes each day unless they were taking a large load of first period classes. Daria and Quinn, however, had easily passed the Spanish requirements. Ms. Li had managed to force Quinn into beginning French. Daria had easily passed that requirement as well, and had offered to do the same in Latin and German (refused, in part because they weren’t even offered at Lawndale High). She was allowed to spend the time she would have been in her grade’s language class either in the computer lab or library.

*

Coach Morris glared at the two students in front of her. “How bad is it?” she finally asked simply. Daria set her jaw, but simply showed her. “Are there any others?”

Daria swallowed, and nodded, and made the gesture of ‘small’, her thumb and forefinger about an inch apart, and showed three fingers, pointing at her upper chest/shoulders. She repeated the gestures and pointed at her forearms, where there some defensive scars.

Morris thought for a moment. “We’re going to be alternating between jogging and soccer while the weather holds, calisthenics inside if it’s raining. If you can find some high-necked shirts in the appropriate color, you can wear them, but you’ll still need to shower.” She thought a bit more. “Don’t change today. I’ll give a ten-minute lecture while the others change; stay for that and then go to the library. I’ll give you a note. Okay?”

Daria made the ‘ok’ gesture with her hand and nodded.

“Has she been actually helping you?” Morris jerked her thumb at Jane.

Daria repeated the gestures, a bit more enthusiastically. She sensed that Morris did not like Jane. She already knew that Jane did not like Morris, and she was currently none too pleased with the Phys Ed teacher either. Still, Daria was used to having to deal with teachers over her injury. Morris was a bit brusque about it, but not as unreasonable as some had been in Highland. So far, Mister O’Neill had been far too nosey while trying to be intrusively sympathetic; most of the others, annoying but not overboard. Only DeMartino had been helpful.

“Lane, start getting changed. At least you’re willing to run, so run for twenty minutes and I’ll signal you can go to the showers early. Then you can go pick her up at the library. I’ll remind Ms Li that she still needs to send out the official notices. Morgendorffer, stand next to me.”

*

This was an A day, and so Jane joined Daria in a Study Hall run by the Spanish teacher. She only allowed communication if it was not in English. She walked around the room, eavesdropping or looking over the students writing notes to each other to make certain they were following the rule.

Daria and Jane’s notes, translated from Spanish (errors corrected):

D: Do you want to come over and watch the program today?

J: I have that class I told you about after school.

D: It’s only half an hour, I can wait for you and we can at least see the second program.

Daria paused, hesitated, and then wrote: If you don’t want to, I understand.

Jane looked at the girl. Daria always tried to look emotionless, as if nothing could ever bother her. Still, she had to be at least a bit lonely, even if she rarely admitted it to herself, let alone anyone else.

Jane could sympathize with that: whom did she have, other than Trent? Quinn was not exactly her type, but she did not seem too bad. On the other hand, Daria, what little she could get from her notes, seemed more in tune with Jane than anyone she had met before.

J: I would like to, but my brother’s band practiced at my house last night and they ate just about everything. I need to get some food in.

Daria looked at Jane, gauging her interest.

J: I am not trying to…. She picked up the Spanish-English dictionary.

D: Avoid?

J: That is the word! If you can, walk with me to the store after my class and we can watch the show and eat at my house after or you can go home to eat.

D: Eat at home? (Here Daria made a face.) Mother’s turn, store lasagna and salad.

J: Sounds good.

D: Only A) the first twenty times; B) compared to most of what my father cooks.

Daria looked thoughtful, then wrote: I will send a note home with Quinn. If Mom wants me home before 8, she can call your house?

Meanwhile, Jane had been thinking. J: Sure. If you would want to, could you…. Jane held up a finger and checked her Spanish dictionary. J: teach me your sign language in first period?

D: Happy to.

Daria held up a finger to signal to wait a moment, ignoring the Spanish teacher who had come over to double check what they were doing. Daria dug through her backpack and finally pulled out a small number of little cards, held in a pack with a rubber band. They were the size of business cards. She handed Jane one, then offered one to the teacher. They saw that the cards showed the hand signals for finger spelling (the American Manual Alphabet).

“Bueno.”

The girls spent the rest of the period going over the alphabet.

*

On the Wednesday of the next week after the Morgendorffers’ arrival, rather than the last period activities/study hall, there was a school assembly. Jane had mentioned that these were held more or less every three or four weeks. Daria had smirked and Quinn had rolled her eyes at the added bit of theater when Jane fled the stage after being praised for ‘graduating’ self-esteem class early.

‘Are you recovered, or do you need to see Manson?’ Daria wrote to her friend a few minutes later, when she was found hiding in one of the girls’ rooms.

“Why whatever could you mean?” Jane asked, eyes wide in faux-innocence.

‘Either it was over-the-top theater, in which case ‘Brava’.’ Daria erased that and wrote, ‘If not, I am concerned.’ She smirked, showing which alternative she thought most likely.

“I doubt I fooled that many, other than Mister O,” Jane pointed out. “So, are you buying me pizza to celebrate my freedom from self-esteem class, or are you taking me home to feed me lots and lots of lasagna? Or better, both?”

‘Quinn put the lasagna in the cart.’ Erased. ‘Low-fat cheese, whole-grain pasta, ground turkey.’ Erased. ‘Still want it?’

“Sad to say, yes. I had to eat a stale mushroom Ramen for breakfast, and….”

‘And?’

When Jane didn’t answer, Daria put her hand on Jane’s arm and looked at her with concern. She wrote, ‘You didn’t really eat lunch in the art studio.’

“No, I didn’t have money today,” Jane admitted sadly. “Trent forgot to leave money last night, and then he and band drank it all. I can forge checks for everything except cash.” Jane knew checks for cash would be scrutinized more than checks for utilities or the mortgage.

‘If you promise me I get to eat a third of it….’ Erase. ‘I’ll spring for a small pizza; then lasagna later.’

“Thank you,” Jane said quietly, embarrassed, especially when her stomach rumbled at thought of food.

Neither realized that Quinn had been listening through to the half-opened hall door.

*

That evening, Quinn took Jane aside before dinner. Jake was in the kitchen tossing the salad while Helen set the table. Daria was upstairs for the moment.

“What is it?” Jane asked, curious.

“I’ve overheard some of the things you and Daria have been talking about. I know what you’ll say ‘no’ matter what, but I’ll ask anyway. Jane, do you really like Daria as a friend?”

“As a matter of fact I do.” Jane’s voice hardened. “What exactly do you mean?”

“I hope you are. I hope you’re not just using her.”

“Do you mean you think I’m using her as a meal ticket?” Jane asked, now worried. She had not meant to, but she could see why Quinn might think so.

“Not that so much. I got the idea that you were almost as lonely as Daria was. I think she genuinely likes you; I just wouldn’t want either of you using the other just to fill a gap in your life. You’ll hurt the other if that’s all it is.”

Jane considered that. “I hope that’s not it. I do like her.”

“That’s the other thing.”

“What?” Jane was puzzled; what else could there be?

“Daria naturally wants to sit back and observe. She has since I can remember. Not having a voice isolates her even more. I think she’s possibly straight, and that you are too….”

Jane blushed slightly as she realized what Quinn was saying. All she said was, “I am.” Well, she sometimes wondered, but she also figured many people wondered about such things at her age.

“Still, she might develop a slight, non-romantic crush on you, or become very dependent on you. Please, be careful. As tough as she seems, she’s…vulnerable. Very vulnerable.”

“I understand.” Jane considered the ginger before her. “You don’t show it much at school, at least you haven’t since the first day or so, but you really care for her.”

“We probably fought as much as any two sisters just a grade apart until…well, until that night,” Quinn admitted. “There she was, her throat heavily bandaged and we didn’t know if she would wake up, never mind that she would likely never talk again. She had almost bled out. She almost died to save me, after we had had a big fight just two days before. We...we told the other we wished we were only children, that the other would just disappear, and we meant it as much as two tweens could. Worse, I had started it. So, when I was finally allowed to be alone with her, I asked her why she risked herself when she had been calling me names for years…and I had been tormenting her just as long. She wrote, ‘You might make my life almost intolerable most of the time, but I love you and no one gets to harass you but me’.”

More than one tear ran down Quinn’s cheek. “That was probably the first time either of us had admitted loving the other. I promised myself that it wouldn’t be the last.” She looked Jane in the eye. “I also promised myself that no one would ever be allowed to hurt her. Except me, of course.”

“Of course. I have two older sisters, so I understand that side of things.” Jane’s eyes dropped. “Maybe I should go.”

Quinn took Jane’s hand. “Why? I think you really are becoming Daria’s friend, and I hope we’re at least friendly.”

Jane smiled.

Helen poked her head into the living room. “Dinner’s ready. Would one of you get Daria?”

“I will, Mrs. M!” Jane replied.

*

Daria had quickly started the sign language lessons in home room and the first activity period, which sometimes carried over into the afternoon activity period study halls if both she and Jane were there. To Daria’s surprise, Mack knew more than the basics – he was an eagle scout and had learned the basics for a ‘signs’ merit badge. He had then carried on with it, helping Jodie with some of her charity work. Jodie didn’t know how to sign, but she had picked up some knowledge of reading them from Mack. Jodie usually had classes and always had an activity, but Mack sat in to improve his skills.

The first few days, Daria’s lessons had attracted a fair amount of attention. After a week, this had dwindled down to about a half dozen constant observers plus a few occasional gawkers. This was more attention (or at least more positive attention) than Daria’s sign language had drawn in Highland, but Daria did not mind – it helped normalize her in the minds of at least a few students.

*

Brittany stared at the sheet of drawing paper in front of her, up at the assignment, and back again. She almost wished she could take the Home Ec classes again; art was harder than she thought it would be. The class was divided into sections, doing different assignments. She could not work on the other sections until she finally figured out ‘one point perspective.’ She glanced at the teen to her right; she was a little frightening.

The scars on her throat were frightening. Brittany had seen them in the showers after gym classes. Brittany could not imagine not being able to talk, and not just because that meant she could no longer be a cheerleader. The girl was also a brain. Ms. Barch had set up a stool next to one of the chalkboards, which Daria used to communicate her answers in her science class – she didn’t usually understand what Daria wrote, but her work had shocked Ms. Barch and startled and impressed Jodie. Jodie had even admitted that she was glad that Daria had transferred in this year. Had she arrived at the start of their Freshman year, Daria would have likely become the Valedictorian, while currently Jodie had a modest lead over three other brains.

Brittany had been impressed with Jodie since the Landons had moved to Lawndale when she had been in 8th grade. She was pretty, brainy, often stylish, and popular. The thought that there was someone much brainier than Jodie, someone who might look down on her no matter how perky and popular she was, made Brittany uncertain.

Brittany glanced at Daria again, and this time managed to look past her glasses, jacket, and heavy boots. Having seen the girl nude and without the very unstylish glasses every other day since Daria’s second gym class, Brittany had to acknowledge that Daria, while not having a knockout body, was basically cute and adorable. She was hiding it, but she had it. So, she easily had the most brains in their class (and was likely at least one of the top two in the school), and could compete with almost any girl on looks if she wanted to. She was neither popular nor unpopular, and apparently did not care too much. ‘Probably because of her sister.’ Quinn was nice enough, and was fortunately in the Pep Squad as a golfer rather than as a Cheerleader, and was not a member of one of the splinter groups that competed for popular attention. Quinn in a splinter group, like that new Fashion Club, would be an even greater threat.

Daria was no threat to Brittany’s position. And, although a brain and a bit frightening, she also seemed a tad lonely at times, at least in the classes where she and Jane were not sitting side-by-side (Jane was painting over to one side of the class so she could do independent work). On top of that, her sign language was as intriguing to Brittany as it was off-putting to Kevin and some others. Although she was not sitting in, or even sitting too close, she had found herself one of the on-lookers to the morning signing lessons and had actually learned a fair amount.

Brittany considered her options, and for the first time spoke to the genius beside her. “Daria?” she asked softly. Unlike Kevin, who, the few times he had spoken with Daria, had shouted at her, Brittany had observed that Daria could hear very well.

Daria looked up from her drawing of the small collection of objects in front of her. Her head cocked to the left, as if asking, ‘Yes?’

“I don’t really understand what I’m supposed to be doing or why,” she admitted. “Is there anything you can think of that will help me?”

Daria looked thoughtful for a moment, and pulled out the small writing tablet she used for longer messages.

*

As the class drew close to the end, Brittany turned to Daria and said, “Thank you; that makes a lot more sense now.” By being able to refer back to what Daria had already explained, Brittany really did understand. In social situations that did not involve Kevin, and sometimes the other cheerleaders, Brittany could actually be socially adapt if nothing else. “Sorry it took so long; I hope you’re not behind on your work.”

Daria shook her head and smiled slightly. Brittany blinked as she saw the rare smile, and she upped Daria’s cuteness level. She was suddenly glad the teen did not want to socially compete, no matter what the reason was. Still, she owed Daria. “Daria, I’m having a party Saturday night. Would you like to come?”

‘Not really,” Daria thought. On the other hand, while her mother wanted her to be more sociable, she also nearly always quashed those rare attempts Daria made towards a real social situation of more than a few people. This could prove interesting in a number of ways, so she wrote on her pad, ‘That might be fun, but my mother doesn’t like me going places where I might be handicapped by not having a voice. Is Quinn invited to this party?’

Brittany reached over and took the pad, writing back, ‘All the pep squad is invited, or will be by this afternoon.’

Daria smiled slightly at the gesture of putting the two at an equal basis. ‘May Jane come as well? If they can, then my mother may allow me out as well.’

Brittany thought for a moment. She had known Jane since elementary school, but they had never been friends, or even friendly. Of course, Jane had never been mean, either. ‘Okay. Quinn has the address.’

Daria hesitated, and wrote back, ‘What does one wear?’

Now it was Brittany who hesitated, but she wrote, ‘What you’re wearing, or maybe a bit nicer.’

*

Daria was sitting in her room with Jane, waiting for the 5:00 showing of ‘Sick Sad World.’ They had fallen into a routine. After school, Jane walked Daria home, and then went home, changed and ran hard for fifteen minutes. After a shower, she came back to Daria’s where the pair watched both showings of ‘Sick Sad World’ and did home work, and then Jane ate dinner at the Morgendorffers. Some nights, she stayed and watched TV until 9:00 or so, others she went home after dinner.

Jane had wondered at the standing invitation for dinner on school nights, but Helen and Jake both liked Jane, and liked that Daria had a friend, especially one that got on with Quinn. They also had learned that food was often tight at the Lane household. Whatever their many faults, they were not about to allow that to stand unaddressed, albeit indirectly. Every morning, Daria now took two pieces of fruit to school, giving the larger to Jane to eat before homeroom. Daria ate the other on mornings she had been in a hurry and had only eaten a ‘sugar tart,’ or else split it with Jane between classes.

“Do you really want to go to Brittany’s party?” Jane asked.

Daria shook her head, but wrote, ‘I need to get out of the house. Even enduring a party is better than sitting here. Maybe then they’ll finally let me go to the Zon with you.’

Jane almost asked, ‘You mean to see Trent,’ but held back. She had seen how her friend was a bit flustered around her brother the few times they had met. “I see your point,” was all she said. Helen had been a bit hesitant to even allow Daria over at Jane’s, especially walking back by herself after dark.

‘Don’t you want to go? We can do a ‘bad movie’ night if you’d rather. And if we do go, you don’t have to stick next to me or anything.’

Jane thought about that. She had been a semi-outcast her entire life – long-term residents of Lawndale had had to deal with her family or siblings, and she had been tarred by the reputations of Summer, Wind, and Penny, while Trent had ghosted through school even more than she had so far. Part of her enjoyed the persona she had created, but part of her had wanted to be invited to the birthday parties and other functions she had missed in middle school and in ninth grade. She disliked admitting it as much as Daria, but she was glad to have a real friend. Even more than Daria, she also wanted to explore the conventional side of high school at least a little bit.

“Let’s do this!”

*

After Jane left that evening, Daria made her way to Quinn’s room. “Yes?” Quinn asked as she considered one outfit after another. Seeing Daria frown in the mirror, Quinn told her, “I can see you in the mirror,” Quinn pointed out.

‘Fine,’ Daria signed. ‘Is all this production for Brittany’s party Saturday?’

Quinn turned around. “It is. Did Brittany invite you, too?”

‘Believe it or not, yes. I am hoping that since Jane can also go, Mom will let me go.’ Daria frowned. ‘Any objections?’

“No,” Quinn confessed. “As much as you and Jane get along, you should at least get out of your houses and that pizza place. Mom should learn to trust you.”

‘Plus if she let me have a bit more freedom, you might get some as well,’ Daria pointed out.

“True,” Quinn admitted. “Can’t I want both?”

‘Also very true,’ Daria agreed. ‘Can we go talk with Mom now? If she agrees, would you let me borrow a top to wear? I will wear that denim jacket Mom made me buy instead of my green one.’

“I don’t mind, but why?” This was unusual for Daria, to say the least.

“Brittany seems to be making a real gesture, not just thanking me for help in art. She’s also one of the watchers during Jane’s sign lessons. I can see her hands moving, she’s picking it up faster than anyone other than Jane, even if she does not fully realize it.’

“I see. Okay. Daria, I know you’re not going to get nicer boots, let alone shoes, and you do look nice in a skirt, but couldn’t you at least let Mom get you some skirts that are better made?”

‘Are there any pleated like these?’ Daria moved around a bit, setting the skirt’s hem in motion.

“You know, I finally see why you got those,” Quinn admitted. “I’d need to look. You would let me?”

Seeing Quinn meant what she said, Daria merely nodded.

Quinn went to her closet, but then turned and said, “You know, I don’t have many turtlenecks.”

‘I know, but you do have a large number of ascots, cravats, and scarves. I could wear an open collar then.’

Quinn managed to only say, “Let’s go talk to Mom first.” Daria moving to an open collar, even with her throat still covered, was a major step.

It was a tough sell, but the pair managed to convince their mother.
Sign up to rate and review this story