Categories > Movies > Pirates of the Caribbean

Articles

by RapunzelK 1 review

An argument among Jack, Anamaria, and Gibbs concerning an ammendment to the Black Pearl's code.

Category: Pirates of the Caribbean - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Anamaria, Gibbs, Jack - Published: 2006-10-05 - Updated: 2006-10-05 - 669 words - Complete

5Funny
They argued about it endlessly- "they" meaning not just he and Ana, but he and Gibbs as well. It was bad luck he kept insisting over and over again, and since when has Ana ever been the source of said luck, Jack would argue back. He had enough of that by himself to share with the whole crew. Gibbs had had to assent that he had a point; Jack's luck was often as damnable as it was incredible. However, it was never a question of whether or not Ana would be part of the crew. That was not even a considered option. The problem lay in the ship's articles.

All ships, even pirate vessels, had a charter of behavior that was enforced if not written and announced to the crew prior to a voyage so that the men knew what they were signing up for. It covered such important points as shares in plunder, disobeying of orders and the consequential penalties, and the settling of personal feuds. One ship's articles were very like another, with only minor differences in the individual details. It was one detail in particular that had them all in a quarrel.

"What d'you need to go announcin' it to the whole crew for? It'll only point 'er out, make 'er a target," Gibbs insisted.

"And who are you to be playin' father to me, Mr. Gibbs? Can I not be lookin' after meself?" Anamaria fired back, her pointed little nose inches from Gibbs' red, bulbous one.

"I only meant that there's no need to make it so plain," Gibbs attempted to soothe. "Besides it might undermine the Captain's authority should the crew know his best girl's aboard."

Anamaria raised an eyebrow. "Who said anything about 'best girls'?"

"Precisely," Jack echoed, not looking up from the somewhat rumpled bit of parchment where the rest of the articles were scrawled in his lilting hand. "Nobody needs to know who's got the honor of Ana's favor. I just want it known that she's here and she's not to be touched unless stated otherwise."

Anamaria turned her eyebrow toward him. "Property, am I?" she asked, voice barbed.

"I believe it was you who made the untruth of that statement perfectly clear to me some time ago," he told her, finally looking up. "I don't own you, and you don't own me. I'm staking no claim, just making sure no one else tries to. Unless, of course," he added, only a slight hitch in his voice, "you want them to." He had no real right to her after all. This wasn't jealousy, just an honest desire to see her protected. Carousing was one thing and if she felt herself wanting for attention, no matter whose, well, that was her business. The fact that the very idea made his stomach knot itself was irrelevant. However, if the attentions were unwanted, that was another matter entirely. He just didn't want to see her hurt.

Anamaria studied the stained wood grain of the table while she thought about that. At length, she nodded.

"I see your point, Jack Sparrow. And I appreciate your intent to preserve my honor on paper."

He couldn't help a brief smirk. "Very well then, how shall I put it?"

"I wouldn't put it at /all/," grumbled Gibbs. Jack ignored him and bent his head over the parchment, carefully scratching out the final clause.

Any female serving amongst the crew shall not be touched unless she desire it so. Any man forcing his attentions upon her shall be punished by keel-hauling. If that proves insufficient punishment and he offends a second time he shall thence be either marooned or rendered unable to call himself a man according to the whim of the lady.

"How does that sound?" he asked after having read it off. Ana was wearing the smirk he'd sported only moments ago.

"I like it," she nodded. "Particularly that last part."

Gibbs shuddered. "Remind me never again to chide you about being too easy with the men."
Sign up to rate and review this story