Categories > Original > Drama > My Sanctuary

The Audition

by darks00 3 reviews

"My Sanctuary" tries out for the "Forgotten Bands" contest.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-10-17 - Updated: 2012-01-10 - 927 words

2Original
Chapter 2: The Audition

JOEY'S POINT OF VIEW:

The band and myself were so pumped getting ready for the audition for the "Forgotten Bands" try-outs. This was it. We've been practicing so hard for this moment. I had Uncle Georges drum sticks in my hands, grasping them for dear life. It was a thing I did for comfort.

Everyone was laughing at Kenny. He was wearing a tuxedo, his hair slicked back which I could tell was unusual for him.

"Why are you dressed up so much?" Asked Megan, laughing.

"Well, we got to make an impression for the judges and for the audition, don't we?" He asked.

"Yeah. But "My Sanctuary" isn't about trying to impress anyone," Said Megan, rolling her eyes. "Look at me- I'm just in jeans and an old sleeveless grey t-shirt. We're just being ourselves."

"Good point. I do stand out from the rest of the band." Kenny agreed.

Everyone continued to laugh.

"Well, I have an extra shirt and pants for gym class...don't worry, it's not sweaty for gym was cancelled today due for the presentation," I told him.

"Ok." Kenny said.

After I got my gym clothes and Kenny got changed, we heard someone shout,

"My Sanctuary!"

We all took deep breaths as we walked onto the stage. On there was two girl judges and one boy judge. The spot light was almost blinding me, and anxiety came over me. What if I messed up? Oh, God, what was I doing here? I went up to the snare drum and the cymbal, Kenny went to the right of Megan to the guitar, and Kyle went to Megan's left to the bass guitar. I calmed myself down by reminding myself we practiced lots, we'd be fine. Megan put her ruby lips to the mic.

"Hello," Megan said sweetly. "I'm Darkness' Illusion."

Then, one by one she pointed to Kenny, me then Kyle. "And this is Lady's Man, Drumstick and Dice. This is the first song we wrote and played together. It's called 'Safe in the Shadows'."

The judges nodded. I heard Megan take a deep breath into the mic. She put her left hand on the mic. The song began with a drum solo. Megan then looked at me. That was my queue. I did a loud, fast beat. Then Megan began to sing slower, than faster:

I am a lost soul
Trying to find a way to make myself whole
But found I was more lost in myself
Taunted by people like yourself

So I hide in the shadows of the walls
In the shadows of these lonely halls
Safe in the darkness. safe in the shadows
Where no one can see me

Hidden I shall remain
Trying the best to keep sane
Safe from the world that can't see the real me
Maybe my happiness wasn't meant to be

Darkness overcoming me
Created by the world that wouldn't let me be
Can you live with the guilt?
Kill the trust that we built?

So I hide in the shadows of the walls
In the shadows of these lonely halls
Safe in the darkness. safe in the shadows
Where no one can see me

You were all that I had
How did things get this bad?
I now can't get hurt if I can't be seen
In the shadows inside of me where I've always been

In the shadows all alone with my thought
Along with all this pain it brought
Life only brings pain
Nothing but rain

So I hide in the shadows of the walls
In the shadows of these lonely halls
Safe in the darkness. safe in the shadows
Where no one can see me

I'd rather be lost in the shadows
Then to become human again




Megan finally opened her eyes after saying the last line. The judges were quiet, but had a smile on their lips. I bit my lip in nervousness. The first male, a boy who was black, was the only one who didn't smile.

"That was horrible," He moaned. "Darkness' Illusion, I noticed you began to trip during the chorus."

"Sorry. I was nervous." Said Megan, looking down.

"And Drumstick..." -I looked up- "I think you're trying too hard to go too fast to impress others. Just impress yourself, man. I would say this band is average. I give you guys a "c.""

I frowned. They weren't looking for average.

The next one in the middle, who was a bit chubby, clapped lightly.

"I think you guys are good, considering armatures. I think you can really go somewhere." She commented. "I think you guys can do it. I give you a B plus."

YES!

Then, the last girl, who was native with long, beautiful black hair, also smiled.

"I also thought it was alright. But in a way, I agree with the first judge and the second judge. A little bit of both. I like your originality. I like how you guys dressed like it was an ordinary day, not caring what others think. I like that. I'll give you guys a "B.""

It's been a week since the audition. I was almost positive we didn't make it. They would have called by now if we had made it, wouldn't they? But there was still hope, right? A few minutes later, I got a phone call- it was Megan. She summarized it, almost screaming in my ear that I had to remove it from my ear, still hearing her.

"OH MY GOD! WE MADE IT!" She screeched.

TO BE CONTNUED...

xxdarkness' kidxx
Sign up to rate and review this story