Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Severus Cools Off

by Emilie_D 1 review

This story begins after Dumbledore's death at the end of Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince. Snape has a rough night, but things start looking up for him in a rather strange way.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-10-18 - Updated: 2006-10-18 - 3318 words - Complete

1Original
"How do you suggest that we stay cool?" Severus asked. "It is unbearably hot, even in the shade."

Zelda smiled and replied, "I could ask you to conjure me an air conditioner, but that's no fun. Come with me."

She held out her hand to him, and led him deeper into the trees, along a narrow trail. It was dim and cooler there, and only the sound of a few birds broke the intense silence. As they walked, he let the quiet wash over him. It was more gratifying than he had imagined, knowing that people now trusted him... but the basic habit of his life had always been solitary. It soothed him to be away from the clamor of voices. Zelda seemed to understand this, because she too was silent as they walked.

A sound of moving water roused him from his reverie. Before them was a shaded grove, with a stream pouring down a small hillside to form a large pool. Without a word, Zelda removed her clothes and placed them on a huge fallen tree trunk near the water. She smiled invitingly and stepped into the water naked. The pool must be deep in the center, he realized, because she was soon submerged almost to her shoulders. She ducked her head, soaking herself completely, and emerged smiling. "Well?" she asked mischievously.

Severus resigned himself to doing something else he would never have believed himself capable of, and began removing his clothing. They were indisputably alone, he thought. Before he had met Zelda he was never naked outside his own rooms, and the very idea of swimming nude here still shocked him... and excited him. As he stepped out of his pants and stood completely bare, he was torn between feeling disagreeably vulnerable... and deliciously free. He was aware that the water would be very cold, and he shivered as he stepped in.

"I no longer feel hot," he said, already imagining the imminent pain of his genitals meeting cold water as he waded in over his knees. When Zelda waded back to meet him, he noted that her nipples were tight and hard.

"It's not that cold," she said, laughing. "You'll get used to it, and then you won't feel the heat for the rest of the day."

He reached for her nipples and squeezed them. "Not cold?" he asked skeptically.

"Okay, but it won't kill you," she replied. "I could drag you in, but that's not very kind, is it?"

Since he had expected mischief, he found her directness disarming. He stepped forward, and dived neatly past her. The cold burned painfully, but he surfaced in the center of the pool - already adjusting to the temperature and feeling amazingly well. He found his footing on the floor of the pool, and shook his hair back from his face as Zelda joined him. He caught her around her waist and pulled her against him. She responded by wrapping her legs around his waist and kissing him.

"I wondered if you could swim," she said happily. "I thought maybe you spent all your time being brilliant in the dungeon."

Severus rolled his eyes. "If I'd had a choice, I would not have learned to swim, but it is useful now, my girl."

Her eyes narrowed apprehensively. "Will you tell me?" she asked.

"At the start of my seventh year, Potter and Black decided they would try to drown me in the lake, and they nearly succeeded," he said sourly. "So I rose early in the mornings for almost two months and taught myself to swim."

"The lake with the Giant Squid in it? That icy-looking, monstrously huge lake?" she asked sadly. "Alone?"

He nodded, remembering having to force himself outside - and into the freezing lake - right at dawn, so that no one would discover him practicing. It had been a most unhappy time.

"Shit. I should've know you didn't learn in the sunshine on a seaside holiday," she said, kissing his splendid nose. "I'll race you to the other side, where the sun's shining," she offered.

"I shall allow you a head start," he said smugly, and smiled when she made a face at him and flung herself out of his embrace, swimming hard. He gave her five seconds, and dove into her wake, swimming under her completely before breaking the surface in front of her.

"Hey!" she gasped, swallowing water. She grabbed his foot to try slowing him down, but he shook free and took the lead, winning handily. He caught her up and set her gently on her feet next to him.

"I believe I won," he said smugly.

"When you learn something, you don't rest until you've mastered it, I see." She put her arms around his narrow waist and squeezed him firmly. "You're the most wonderful person I've ever known," she said, kissing the juncture between his neck and shoulder.

"Come and swim some more," he said enticingly, "and then I believe we can find other delightful things to do."

"Okay," she said happily.

They swam for a bit longer... and ended, of course, by making love on blankets that Severus Summoned from the cabin, drowsing afterwards in the cool shade. Severus considered pinching himself to be sure it was not merely a delicious dream.

He remembered vividly the misery of those long-ago mornings at Hogwarts, forcing his shivering self into the frightening, icy water. The occasional visits from the Giant Squid were unpleasant, but it was the revolting shock of having Moaning Myrtle pop out of the frigid water right next to him, that made him finally quit his solitary practice sessions.

"Where are you, Sev?" Zelda said gently. His face was pressed against her breasts, and she was stroking his damp hair comfortably.

His mouth groped for a nipple and sucked it for a long, exquisite moment before he said, "That was an absurd question, pet. Shall I prove that I am here?"

"Do whatever you wish, my boy," she replied, kissing his forehead. A surge of tenderness welled up in her. Hadn't anyone loved him before this? It was inconceivable to her.

"Do you wish to make me insufferably spoilt?" he asked mockingly. He drew himself up until their faces were on a level and looked at her questioningly.

"Your life's been dreadfully grim. So, yeah, I'd love to spoil you," she said wistfully.

Severus kissed her and murmured, "You spoil me shockingly."

'If there's anything I haven't thought of, don't hesitate to mention it," she said lightly. "I like to be thorough."

"I believe we should swim some more, while it is still so oppressively hot. I have never gone swimming simply for enjoyment, and I find it... agreeable," he said, rising and holding his hand out to her.

She appraised his thin, pallid body as she took his hand and got to her feet. "Stay in the shade, my boy. I don't want you to get sunburned, and it won't take much exposure to make it happen."

"Thank you, my girl," he muttered. "It is not something I concerned myself with before today." Her words and gaze made him feel self-conscious.

"I look forward to rubbing after-sun lotion all over you tonight," she smirked, pressing against him briefly. "Now, into the water before I ravish you, Sev." She spun around and pulled him toward the water, which felt icier than before when she stepped in.

Severus felt he should remind her who was in charge, so he swung her into his arms and marched into the water. He was extremely pleased when she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. "Will you squeal girlishly for me?" he asked, his black eyes glinting mercilessly.

"You aren't actually going to throw me in, are you?" she replied breathlessly. "That's such a crude, schoolboy thing to do. Where's your dignity?" She clung tighter to his neck and nervously watched his lips twitch, as she waited for a reply.

He took two more steps into the water, which was now approaching a very sensitive part of his anatomy. "My dignity was abandoned with my clothing. Now, convince me why I should not do it," he growled.

She kissed his cheek, and her mouth moved to his earlobe, which she proceeded to nip rather fiercely before fastening her mouth on it. "I prefer to get used to the water gradually," she whispered, moving her mouth to suck at his neck.

"Zelda," he murmured persuasively, "Look at me."

She pulled back to look at his smirk, and saw that she had no hope of escaping a ducking. Instantly she threw her legs out of his arms and wrapped them tight around his waist, clinging harder than before.

"This is more convincing," he purred. "Keep squirming like that, and I shall find a better way to remind you who is in charge." One hand, now free to roam, found her backside and squeezed, while the other went straight to the heart of things. "Move a bit lower, darling," he suggested, and thrust his hips upward.

She gasped as she felt herself make contact with another excellent reason to cooperate, but she also felt obligated to remind him that he would not have everything his way. So, she flung her weight backward suddenly while his hands were occupied, clutching his neck to drag him down with her. They both splashed into the water hard. She wiggled free and began backstroking away, watching for him to surface behind her. However, a flash of white sliding past her told her she had miscalculated, and she gave up. When a gleaming black head broke the surface next to where she was treading water, she waited in resignation for her doom.

Severus was laughing as he surfaced. Never before had anyone played with him, and he was enchanted by her silliness. "Defeat has never been so amusing," he said, "but, I shall have my revenge on you, woman." Being taller, he found he could stand, and he shook his dripping hair out of his eyes and waited for her response.

The rare sight of Severus laughing made Zelda's heart melt into a gooey mush. She flung herself against him and clung to him as before, with her legs around his waist. Her blue eyes were sparkling with happiness as she said, "Take your revenge, Sev... I surrender."

He wrapped his arms tight around her and sighed contentedly when she laid her head in the crook of his shoulder and rubbed her cheek against him. "Ah, love," he breathed, "I must surrender too."

They stayed there for long minutes, not speaking, merely holding each other in the cool water. Zelda finally lifted her head and said, "Let's swim a little longer, before we go back to the cabin. I suppose you should have told me about Magical Healing before we came here, but you distracted me."

Severus released her, and they floated idly around in the deepest part of the pool. He enjoyed watching her float on her back and seeing her nipples breaking the surface of the water. This reminded him then what she herself must see as he floated by her side and instinctively he stopped, awash in embarrassment. He stayed close to her, treading water... and hating his own insecurity. This was Zelda, after all, who knew his body better than anyone, and who adored him. Her voice broke into his nervous contemplation.

"How bad will it be if someone comes here suffering from some hideous spell?" she asked, righting herself to tread water by his side. "Of course you would know all about Magical Healing, among the vast stores of knowledge in your head."

He flushed at her absurd admiration, but decided there was no reason why they could not discuss it whilst nude together in a forest pool.

"In case of serious damage," he explained, "the Portkey that Minerva left you must be used to take the victim to Hogwarts, where treatment is available. However, remember, for two or more to use it, all of you must make physical contact. If you reach for it yourself, it will take only you."

"I hope I remember that if there's an emergency," she said.

"Of course you will," he replied confidently. "There are a vast number of Healing spells, incantations and potions, most of which are very specific in use. If Madam Pomfrey is not available to you at Hogwarts, Minerva will undoubtedly bring the injured party to St. Mungo's, in London."

"So there's not much I can do, then."

"Since you took excellent care of me when you found me, I believe you must know some basic emergency healing," he said thoughtfully. "Spell damage is not the only possibility, as you should know. Bellatrix did most of her damage to me using her boots."

"I know basic first aid," she replied, "and there's a fabulous stock of medical supplies at the cabin. Michael is constantly expecting the next war to break out."

"That is excellent," he replied.

"If anything, um, dramatic occurs, I hope Michael will be here," she said.

"Why?" he responded curiously. "Zelda, what is Michael's job?"

"Michael's a nurse in the emergency room of the county hospital," she said. "Between his war experience and his years in the ER, he's seen almost everything there is to be seen."

"That explains something about Michael," he replied. "He seems to be a man who is bored by petty drudgery, but one I would wish to have on my side in a crisis."

"That's very true," she said, "and if anything horrible happens to someone, I hope he's here with me."

Severus found his footing and pulled her by one wrist back into his arms. "I could stay with you here forever, sweet girl, except that I am becoming very hungry. Shall we go?"

"This is wonderful, but you're right, we should go," she said regretfully. "Anyway, the mosquitoes will be coming out soon, so I'd like to be gone before then."

They swam slowly back to the shore, and Severus used his wand to dry them both, making Zelda giggle. "That was incredible!" she said, pulling on her shorts and sandals. She watched Severus zip his jeans, and said, "You're so sexy, Sev, leave the shirt off, please? I love the view from here."

Another first, he thought nervously, but her naughty smile encouraged him, and when he Vanished the blankets they had lain on, the silly Muggle shirts were gone too. The breeze felt amazingly refreshing, he thought smugly. She came to him and kissed the base of his throat, and rubbed his back soothingly.

"It makes you nervous," she said gently. "I know it, but thanks for indulging me."

"It is an odd way for you to feel indulged," he muttered ironically. "But it is undoubtedly comfortable." He reached for her hand, and they began walking back along the dense shady trail toward the cabin. He would soon be back among the Death Eaters. He had been used to spying and then returning to his routine at Hogwarts. He felt rather bereft at knowing that was in the past. Nevertheless, becoming accustomed to return to a place where he felt happy was an easy adjustment.

The sun was lower in the sky when they returned to the clearing and the cabin, and as they entered the airless building Zelda said, "If I hadn't spent most of the afternoon floating in ice water I think I'd melt in here." She opened the windows and felt a slight breeze, but it was still sweltering. She pulled a pitcher if iced tea from the refrigerator, filled two glasses with ice and tea, and drank one thirstily.

Severus came out of the bedroom, carrying a small pouch and a small flask in his hand. "Where does Michael keep his medical supplies?" he asked, accepting his cold drink with a nod of thanks.

Zelda went to the corner cupboard, pulled out what looked like a huge Muggle toolbox and set it on the table, displaying a large quantity of supplies. "If Michael's here, he can do wonders," she said. "I only know the basics, but he's as good as a doctor when it comes to emergencies."

They sat down and Severus began exploring, pulling out sealed packages and asking her what they contained. His concerns were allayed, knowing they were very well supplied. He pulled open the pouch, and dumped five shriveled brown things into the palm of his hand and offered them for Zelda's inspection.

"What are they?" she asked, picking one up and turning it over in her hand.

"There are many antidotes for many kinds of poisons," he told her. "That is a bezoar, and it is the simplest way to counteract many poisons," her replied. "It will not work in every case, but since you cannot keep a hundred antidotes here, and quickly recognize the proper time to use one, I will leave several bezoars with you."

"Cool. That's amazingly practical. But how do I use it?" she asked curiously.

"Just shove one down the victim's throat," he replied, "Aiming for the stomach... instead of blocking the air passage," he added.

"Like shoving a pill into a sick cat," she replied. "I can handle that much. What else do you have there?"

"This is something that is generally restricted," he replied. "It is called Veritaserum."

Her eyes grew wide in amazement. "Truth serum?" she breathed. "Wow."

"How did you know?" he asked in amusement.

"One of approximately ten Latin words I know is 'veritas, and the rest is obvious," she replied. "You took that from your office. Did you make it?" She was very impressed.

He smiled thinly. "You are marvelous for my ego, Zelda. Of course, I made it. I shall leave it here, although it is unlikely that you shall need it."

"How would I use it?" she asked. "Not that I plan to, but since it's here, I should know."

"Three drops, mixed with a small cup of any beverage or applied directly onto the tongue. It will act quickly, although it is not infallible. A strong Occlumens may fight it... to a certain extent. But Veritaserum in the hands of a competent Legilimens is extremely powerful."

"Ick," she said. "That's an abuse of privacy and completely disgusting. But if it'll help you and the kids, I won't hesitate. Is there anything else I should know about?"

"No. There are too many possibilities. The Portkey may be your only option," he said. He was pleased by her quickness and willingness to learn, but the possibilities of disaster were so many that his worries began to descend on him again.

"I'll find us something to eat, Sev," she said, needing to do something. She pulled out an assortment of leftovers and snickered. "Saved from cooking by the fact that it's too hot to do it. Let's eat outside where it's cooler, okay?"

Severus stepped into the bedroom and put on his comfortable Bob Marley t-shirt, wishing to be fully clothed again. He then placed everything on a tray and Levitated it out to the table. As they began to eat, he paused, gazing at her.

"What?" she asked.

"I find this startling at times," he said, smiling at her.

"Yeah, me too," she replied. "But I'd choose this, no matter how scary, because finding you is the most important thing that's happened to me."

Their eyes met as they shared an intimate smile, and they finished their meal in companionable silence.

"What do you wish to do after dinner?" he asked. He wondered what, in this unfamiliar world, she might suggest next.

"We could play with Michael's toys," she suggested. "He keeps most of his things at home, but his shotgun is in the bedroom closet, and you still have the Glock. Michael said you're good. Want to see if I'm better?"
Sign up to rate and review this story