Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Please Remember

Fear and Doubt

by telcontarian 0 reviews

Rikku is questioning her role as a guardian. She finds answers in the most unlikliest source imaginable: Auron. As the pair become close, will they be able to ignore the sparks between them?

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Auron, Rikku - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2006-10-19 - Updated: 2006-10-19 - 1213 words

0Unrated
Please Remember

by Tari

This is my first Final Fantasy fic. I have previously written fan fiction for Sailor Moon and also for Lord of the Rings, but just not on this site. I would really appreciate all comments, criticism and pointers on how to better my work. This story is inspired by LeAnn Rimes' sensational song, "Please Remember".

Disclaimer: I do not own Final Fantasy - just the posters on my bedroom wall


Chapter One

Rikku sat thoughtfully on the banks of the Moonflow, her emerald green eyes gazing out over the dark, calm water which eerily reflected the ethereal glow of the Pyreflies as they hovered dreamily over the lake. A cold wind whispered in from the West and the girl pulled the coarse blanket firmly around her shivering shoulders, drawing what warmth and comfort she could that was not to be obtained in solace.

She had willingly taken watch that night; knowing that sleep would be long in coming to her troubled mind. She cast her thoughts back to the earlier events that day when she had offered to become her cousin Yuna's sixth and final guardian. She did not know what had compelled her to do so: she could only presume that since Yuna could not be dissuaded, Rikku would just have to find another way to save her cousin.

Tears welled up in the young girl's eyes. She was a traitor to her own people. After capturing Summoners to prevent them from completing their Pilgrimage to the holy city of Zanarkand, here she was: guarding her cousin with her own life until she vanquished Sin. Yuna, consequently, sacrificing her own life for the sake of Spira. The tears flowed freely down Rikku's face, shining silver in the majestic glow of the Pyreflies.

'There has to be another way,' she thought bitterly, 'One that does not resort in death.' She turned her face to look at the sleeping guardians, nestled under the overhanging branches of an oak tree. Although she had only known them for a short while, she saw in each and every one of them the fierce determination that she shared to save Yuna and destroy Sin for good.

Sudden movements from behind her brought Rikku from her thoughts and she jumped at the feeling of heavy material being placed around her slim shoulders. Warm, calloused hands lingered briefly, caressing her skin before being pulled abruptly away. Rikku raised confused eyes to see that the man named Auron had given her his cloak and was now looking out into the starless night.

"It is a little cold out tonight," he offered by way of explanation. His fingers strayed automatically to the hilt of his katana, should a fiend catch them at unawares.

"Thank you," whispered Rikku gratefully, drawing the cloak tightly around her slender frame and snuggling into the velvety folds, as safe and secure as she would be have been in the arms of a loved one.

All the while, Auron watched the girl's movements, noticing as she closed her eyes and breathed in his scent. He had seen the resilience that shone from her eyes and could sense the heavy burden that had settled itself prematurely upon her young shoulders. 'She is like me,' he decided, 'A mirror image of myself ten years ago.'

"Rikku," he murmured, his countenance betraying none of the thoughts in his head. "Your watch ended hours ago. Get some rest; we have a long journey ahead of us." Drawing his sword and slinging it casually across his broad shoulder, Auron strolled over to the nearest boulder and settled himself upon the rough surface, trying to make himself comfortable given his "adequate" surroundings. Rikku watched the legendary guardian, wondering how best to voice her question.

"Auron?" she murmured timidly, her gentle voice barely audible in the still night air. Rikku frowned when the older man did not answer. Perhaps he had not heard her... She sucked in a lungful of air.

"There is no need for you to shout, I heard you the first time" said Auron suddenly, causing the young girl to shriek in alarm and topple over. "Quiet," he hissed warningly.

"I only asked a simple question," shouted Rikku angrily as she rose to her feet, her expression livid as she stomped over to where the older man now stood, tense and alert as he warily viewed his environment, sword drawn. "There is no need to ignore me." He never replied. "Look buddy," she yelled, patience gone as she reached him, poking the guardian square in the chest, "I know you're all high and mighty but you can't just go around-"

The rest of her words were cut off by Auron tackling the young girl to the ground, his large hand cradling the back of her head to protect her skull from impact. Rikku's eyes widened in shock as the legendary guardian landed on top of her in what you could call a compromising position.

"What?"

"Hush!" said Auron sharply, pressing his body weight further into the ground as a Garuda screeched menacingly overhead, the tip of its wing slicing Rikku's unprotected cheek; the brunt of what surely would have been a deadly attack.

Rikku clung to the other guardian, her face buried fearfully into his neck.

Auron sighed and rocked back on his heels, holding the young girl as her body jerked in his arms and she continued to cry. That had been too close for comfort. Had it not been for his quick thinking, Rikku would have been annihilated. He continued to rock her, his hand rubbing her back in soothing circles. He silently thanked his lucky stars that the others were still asleep: had his young charge, Tidus, seen the pair in their previous awkward position, he would have undoubtedly jumped to the wrong conclusion and would have teased Auron mercilessly. A slight frown creased his forehead. He had to remember to warn Rikku about repeating this night's events to anyone.

He looked down at the girl and was surprised to see her sleeping peacefully, holding herself tightly against Auron, his forgotten cloak pooled at her waist. A jolt of electricity shot through Auron's body as Rikku moved further onto his lap, a quiet sigh escaping her lips. The guardian smiled, wrapping his arms securely around her. It had been ten years since he had last held a woman in his arms - he had almost forgotten how wonderful it felt... As his head rested on top of hers, his eyes snapped open in realisation of what he was doing and he cursed mentally. 'You are a grown man, you should know better,' he scolded himself. 'Besides, you are old enough to be her father!'

Auron stood to his feet, the sleeping girl cradled in his arms and he began to make his way over to where the others were sleeping. He lay Rikku down close to her cousin and tucked his cloak around her body. He hesitated, looking down at her. He had his memories after all... Deciding that she would not remember this, he stooped and caressed her cheek before placing a tender kiss on her forehead.

"Sweet dreams," he murmured and he turned, walking off into the night to continue the rest of his watch.
Sign up to rate and review this story