Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Please Remember

Accusations and Consequences

by telcontarian 0 reviews

Rikku is questioning her role as a guardian. She finds answers in the most unlikliest source imaginable: Auron. As the pair become close, will they be able to ignore the sparks between them?

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Auron, Rikku - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2006-10-19 - Updated: 2006-10-19 - 1380 words

0Unrated
Please Remember

By Tari

This chapter is dedicated to my little cousin, Gryffindor1992, who writes the most amazing Harry Potter Fan Fiction and makes awesome banners. What would I do without you? Jump off a bridge singing "I believe I can fly" probably, knowing me.

A link can be found on my homepage for the sensational banner that Gryff made me especially for this story. If you would like to check out Gryffindor1992's stories which I highly recommend: a link can be found by clicking on my homepage.

Thank you Gryff, Jaymo, Gining and Ruki who commented on the first chapter. You guys are the best!

Please check the bottom for some notes.

Disclaimer: I do not own Final Fantasy - it owns me! oO


Chapter Two

Rikku blinked sleepily, unaccustomed to being awake before daybreak. The Moon had long since reached its zenith and was steadily dropping down toward the horizon; the Sun would soon be rising, ready to warm Spira with her rays: a hope to its inhabitants that even in the darkest hour, a little goodness still remained in the world.

Sitting up, the girl stretched and yawned, Auron's red cloak falling to her waist. She groaned and rubbed her back, having slept against a jutting tree root. She cursed in her native tongue: Rikku had spent one night sleeping outdoors and already she was beginning to pine for the comfort of her own bed back in Home. She sighed quietly. She had taken the oath for Yuna that she would gladly give her life so that her cousin could live if required. 'And find a way to save her from pointless death,' she added as an afterthought.

Rikku raised thoughtful eyes to the rising Sun, feeling a smile pulling at the corner of her lips. As a child, she had vowed to get up before daybreak to watch the Sun rise, knowing full well that it could be her last if Sin were to come. It was the small things in life that at an early age, Rikku had come to appreciate. Too many times had she attended the burial of a family member whose life had been cut short by the destruction that was Sin. She was on her own personal quest to avenge her beautiful mother whose body had been broken on Bikanel Island so that her features were virtually unrecognisable. Too many times had countless Summoners gave their lives in Zanarkand for the sake of Spira: Sin was going to be reborn again after a brief rest regardless of their sacrifice. "The vicious cycle of life and death," her father had called it at her mother's burial, the tears pouring silently down both their faces.

In all her short years, Rikku had witnessed enough pain and suffering that would never be erased from her memory. It was time to end this once and for all.

The girl tilted her head back, breathing in deeply and allowing the warmth to reach her cheeks. She winced and raised a hand to her face as a sudden pain shot through her cheek. Rikku frowned as her fingers traced along a deep gash, stretching from her cheekbone to the corner of her mouth. Her memories flooded back of the events that had occurred the previous night: Rikku yelling herself hoarse at Auron; him throwing himself on top her as a Garuda narrowly missed decapitating the pair, alerted by the girl's scream; Auron holding her close as she cried, his scent overwhelming her senses as he rocked her like a baby, soothing her.

'Whoa, whoa, back up there, Rikku! You just admitted that you actually liked being in Mr Grumpy's arms? Fryd ec dra funmt lusehk du?

She smiled. It was nice to know that Auron had a caring side to his seemingly non-existent personality. A blush rose in her cheeks as she remembered the way his body had felt on top of hers, his large hand cradling her head, the way their eyes had locked for the briefest of seconds...

Her emerald eyes snapped open and she sighed. Even though it had felt like the most natural thing in the world, reality was a bitter reminder that Auron was old enough to be her father and Pops would definitely not approve. Besides, what would he see in a child like her?

'Oh well, better go give old Fire Engine back his cloak.'

Gathering up Auron's infamous cloak in her arms and dusting off the grass, Rikku stepped stealthily over Wakka who clutched his blitzball, mumbling about the Aurochs taking the cup and tiptoed over to the shimmering, blue lake, careful not to wake her companions. The girl approached the boulder on which the man had been sitting and smiled as she found Auron on the grass, leaning against the craggy surface, his eyes closed in slumber.

Rikku crouched beside him, raising a tentative hand to brush a stray lock of dark hair from his face. As her hand passed momentarily over the scar that sealed his right eye shut, she found herself wondering how he had attained it. She dropped her hand. Poking her nose into other peoples' business always did tend to get her into a lot of trouble. Picking up the cloak, she tucked it securely around his muscular form and turned to leave.

The girl emitted a yelp as his hand darted out suddenly, latching firmly onto her wrist, pulling her back with such brutal force that startled her. His remaining functional hazel eye snapped open instantly, his unsheathed blade resting on the column of her throat. He sighed in recognition.

"Rikku," he warned, his voice thick with sleep as he lowered his weapon and released her from his grip. "For future reference, please refrain from sneaking up on me. I could have mistakenly attacked you."

"I - I'm sorry," murmured Rikku, her eyes cast downwards, her aching wrist held tightly to her chest.

"Did I hurt you?" enquired Auron, his tone gentle as he rose to his feet and took Rikku's hand in his own.

"Just a little," she replied, grimacing as he touched a sore spot. A pleasant shiver ran down her spine at his touch.

He let out a low chuckle. "You are not a good liar. Just like Yuna."

Rikku smiled. "Okay, you hurt me a lot."

"My apologies." His tone was low and Rikku felt touched. The manner in which he had spoken the simple words indicated to her that it was not something he said on a regular basis.

Auron began to massage her hand; his long fingers working deftly to circulate the blood flow again.

"Auron?"

The legendary guardian looked up from his task and it was then that she noticed how enticingly close their mouths were. If she was to lean up on her tiptoes, they would be kissing. His warm breath on her face was distracting. "I wanted to thank you," she stammered, gazing timidly at her feet, "For saving me last night."

As if becoming aware of their current position, Auron dropped her hand and drew sharply away. His voice became cold and distant again. "You should be more careful in future. Your blatant foolishness and disregard for your Summoner almost killed us both last night." He turned his back on her. "Perhaps you should not have joined us after all: we cannot allow failure."

Rikku's eyes filled with tears at his cutting remark. Her vision became blurry and she shut her eyes quickly, but she could not restrain the small sob that escaped her lips.

Auron mentally cursed himself, wondering how on earth he could have said such hurtful things.

"Rikku," he spoke her name as he turned to face her, his arms outstretched, warm and inviting.

She was gone.

Okay, I probably should give an explanation. The narrative style I have gone for is a third person point of view of either Auron or Rikku for one whole chapter. The first chapter was Auron (I think :P) and this chapter was Rikku so the next chapter will revert back to Auron. I doubt Auron would be that mean - pokes Aurrie - but I needed him to be to fit in with my plot. Explanations for his behaviour in the next chapter.

Love,

Tari xx
Sign up to rate and review this story