Categories > TV > Doctor Who > The Girl In the Shadows

Meeting Mia

by water_dragon 1 review

9th Doctor, Pre-Rose, Pre-Time War; meet the Doctors new companion Mia, Mia is the only child of one of his oldest, dearest friends. But the friend is dead, she died brutally, and the thing that ki...

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-10-20 - Updated: 2006-10-20 - 634 words

0Unrated
The TARDIS materialized on a side street, it was dark and the stars were covered by a thin layer of cloud. The Doctor cheerfully jumped out of the TARDIS and locked the door. He turned around and jumped, there was a girl sitting calmly on a windowsill, looking at him.

She was wearing a pair of worn jeans and a green wrap-around top. Tangled gold hair fell around her shoulders, reaching out to her waist but not touching. Strangest of all she held a long tapered candle for light. The Doctor looked at his watch crossly, "2006, boring year."

The girl spoke " como se llama?" what are you called?
"Er... Me llamo el Doctor" I am called The Doctor.
She spoke in English now, " I do speak English if you'd prefer." The Doctor nodded gratefully, although he spoke Spanish he wasn't very good at it.

"Um... who are you?" he asked.
"My name is Mia," she tilted her head to one side, still regarding him calmly. "Are you an alien." Needless to say the Doctor was shocked, but he hid it well. "Why would I be an alien?"
" Because," Mia jumped onto the ground "You appeared in an English box out of nowhere, I saw it, there has never been a box like that in Madrid, in Spain, Portugal... it's ingles"

The Doctor frowned at her " you're very calm after seeing that, and why are you holding a candle?"
Mia tossed her hair over her shoulders "I'm holding a candle;" she took a step towards him " because if my father noticed anything apart from the old stuff in the attic missing; " she paused "he'll beat me, and he's drunk, very drunk, more than he's ever been before. I can't go back, take me with you, please."
"Why can't you go back?"
She took another step towards him, " because he'll kill me."
*

The green glow of the TARDIS showed the Doctor Mia, sitting on a chair, watching the console move up and down, but her eyes were vacant. He thought back to what she'd said;
"But why would he kill you?" he had said.
"Because I'm different," she said quietly, "my mother was different too, she always said I was different, she said I must never let anyone examine me, I must never tell anyone. She believed in aliens, she believed in a race called the Time Lords" at this the Doctor took a step back, Mia noticed but didn't say anything about it. " She said she was a Time lord, a Time Lady... she said she had been their ruler until they drove her out, and she came here."

"You keep saying was," the Doctor has replied "what happened to her? "
"My father knew, she trusted him, but he grew very disturbed, he didn't like it that she was an alien. He didn't like it that my full name is hers with Mia at the beginning, and he killed her." The girl's words were empty, like she'd stopped caring," he got a knife, and he stabbed her, her face changed she looked different. But he locked her away, he didn't feed her, and two days later he would kill her again. He kept killing her and locking her away until one night her face didn't change. He left her for dead and she lay their dying."

Mia took a deep breath, " as she lay there dying... she spoke of you. She said that one day, I would find the Doctor, that I must go with him, because he alone could keep me safe. Satisfy my craving for freedom. And she gave me two words to say to you."
"What were those words?" the Doctor asked.
"My name;" she said "is Miaromanadvoratrelunder, and the planet, the people she once ruled; is Gallifrey."
And then he knew.
Sign up to rate and review this story