Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Denying the Truth

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1071 words

0Unrated
Denying the Truth

Soda's POV

Right now, I didn't want to tell Darry about what I had found out about my little brother this morning. I wanted to forget about our conversation. Forget about what my brother had said to me. But I know that Darry needs to know about Pony. I just didn't want to be the one to tell him, but Pony and Darry are my brothers, so it was up to me to tell him.

"Darry, we need to talk," I said just wanting to get the conversation over with.

"What is it Soda? What's going on?" Darry asked giving me a worried look.

"This morning when me and Pony were getting ready, we had a long conversation. Darry, he wants to kill himself," I said trying hard not to start crying in front of the gang again.

"What do you mean he wants to kill himself? He's fine."

"No, he's not, Darry. He told us about this himself. Do you really think I would say something like that if I didn't know for sure if it was true? I know it's hard to think that he'd do something like that, but we need to help him."

"The doctor said that he still needs some time to adjust. It hasn't been long enough yet. Give him some more time."

"If we wait any longer he won't be here anymore! What's wrong with you? Our little brother wants to kill himself and all you can say is that he needs more time to adjust! I know you don't want to believe it, but for Pony's sake you have to. If you keep denying this, then it will be too late to help him. He needs us now, Darry! Don't you get it?" I yelled at him.

"Yeah, I do. You expect me to believe that our little brother would kill himself if we don't try and help him. Where in the world did you get an idea like that?" Darry said looking at me like I was the dumbest thing on earth.

"He's our brother, Darry. We're suppose to help him with stuff like this. Why can't you accept it?" I pleaded with him, but before he could reply we all turned around to the sound of someone outside the house. Dally slowly got up pulling the heater from his pocket as he walked towards the door and opened it.

"Oh, my God!" he said as he started to run out the door.

"Dally, what is it?" Two-Bit hollered after him as he too walked towards the door.

"It's Steve. He's been jumped!"

"How bad is he?" I asked Dally, as me and Darry quickly followed Two-Bit out the door. This can't be happening. It's too much right now. My little brother wants to kill himself and my best friend's been jumped. It's too much.

"Help me get him in the house. He's not lookin' too good," Dally said as he and Two-Bit gently began to help Steve to his feet. He was concious, but just barely. Johnny and Pony were in the living room by the time we managed to get Steve into the house and settled on the couch.

"What happened?" Johnny asked Steve anxiously as I began to dab at Steve's various cuts.

"I had just gotten off my shift and was on my way here, when some Socs came up from behind. I didn't see them and when I did there was no way out. There was five of them, Soda. The same five that were here the other night. I'm sure of it," he said as he began to sit up.

"Don't sit up, yet. You need to take it easy for a bit," I said gently pushing Steve back onto the couch.

"Where does it hurt the most?" Darry asked as he walked over to us to see how bad Steve was hurt.

"Where doesn't it hurt?" Steve replied jokingly, but apparently not feeling too good.

"They got ya pretty good. You'll be feelin' it for awhile. How bad are your ribs?"

"Pretty bad. I think I might have broken a few or at least cracked them. It feels like there's a ton of bricks sitting on my chest."

"Two-Bit, I need you to go look in one of the closets and find an old shirt or somethin'. We need to bind his ribs so that he doesn't hurt himself by moving around too much."

"Sure," Two-Bit said as he quickly headed down the hall.

"Soda, help me sit him up so that we can wrap his ribs," Darry told me as Two-Bit came back carrying one of our old shirts. He handed the shirt to Dally, who cut it into long strips with his blade before handing the strips to Darry. It didn't take long for us to tightly wrap the strips around Steve's ribs, but we could have finished quicker if Steve had actually cooperated with us. By the time we had finished it was getting late and my conversation with Darry about Pony had yet to be brought up again.

"If you don't mind, I think I'll crash here for the night. It's too late to be headin' back to Buck's place," Dally said glancing nervously over his shoulder at my little brother.

"You should know by now, that you're welcome to stay here anytime. Steve, you not goin' home tonight are ya?" Darry asked him.

"No, I think I'll stay right we're I'm at. The last thing I need tonight is my old man pushin' me around."

"Well, I'll catch ya'll in the morning. I need to be gettin' home anyway. But don't you go and get yourself into anymore trouble 'til I get back at least," Two-Bit said sarcastically to Steve before he walked out the door and started home.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get some sleep," Darry said as slowly walked toward his room to go to bed. We soon followed his example and went to our own beds to turn in for the night. But I couldn't sleep I just kept thinking about how Darry kept denying that Pony really did need our help. I just don't understand why he won't believe me. He has always believed me before, but now he just won't listen. I can't help but think that if he doesn't listen we'll all pay the price.
Sign up to rate and review this story