Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Never Giving Up On You

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1241 words

0Unrated
Never Giving Up On You

Johnny's POV

As I woke up the next morning, the events from last night were still on my mind. We had tried to tell Darry about Pony the best way we knew how, but he refused to believe a single word of it. Then when Steve came in like he was, the subject had been completely forgotten. I just hope that Darry will be able to realize how much Pony needs him. I still can't believe that Pony lied to me. We've always told each other stuff, no matter how bad it was. But lately when I've been asking him if he's okay he keeps telling me that he's fine, even though he really isn't. I thought that if anything was bothering him, he'd come and talk to me about it. But I was wrong.

"Hey Johnny, how long have you been up?" whispered Two-Bit as he quietly came into the room.

"Not long. I just woke up. What are doing anyway?" I asked as I saw him carefully approach the bed where Pony and Soda were sound asleep.

"Darry told me to wake them up. He wants Soda to go back to work today. Now, get on the other side of the bed and on the count of five we'll jump on them and scream as loud as we can," Two-Bit whispered softly to me.

"You're on your own for this one and you ain't hidin' behind me when Soda comes after you."

"Suit yourself, it's only more fun for me," Two-Bit said quietly before he slowly began to count down. On the count of five he jumped on their bed, screamin' at the top of his lungs. Soda was so startled by the "wake up call" he had recieved from Two-Bit, that he ended up on the floor and Pony sat up lookin' scared to death like he had when he got jumped a while back. Once Two-Bit managed to get his laughter under control, he looked up to see Pony shaking with fear and his face going white.

"It's okay, Pony. It's just me. I'm . . . I 'm sorry, I forgot," Two-Bit stuttered apologetically.

"It's all right. I know you didn't mean to," Pony said quietly as he got out the bed.

"Here Pony, let me help you," Soda said grabbing his arm and attempting leading him over to the pile of clothes he had laid out for him the night before.

"I don't need your help!" he yelled, violently pushing Soda away. Startled by his brother's actions, Soda quickly took a step back. But as he did, he tripped over a pair of shoes lying in the floor, slamming his head into a small table that served as their dresser. Me and Two-Bit went over him to see if he was okay. He had blood trickling down his face and was out cold.

"Darry! Dally! Steve! Get in here!" Two-Bit yelled anxiously. Dally came in the room first, followed by Darry and Steve.

"What happened?" Dally asked looking at us worriedly.

"Pony pushed Soda and he hit his head on the table," I said with voice shaking. They slowly looked down at our feet where Soda lay crumpled up in a heap. Together we managed to lift Soda on to the bed and tried to bring him out of it.

"Soda, come on buddy. It's time to wake up. Come on, Soda," Darry said shaking him gently recieving only a concious groan.

"That's it Soda, open your eyes," Dally said encouragingly.

"What happened?" Soda asked groggily.

"Pony pushed you and you hit your head on the table."

"Where is he?" Soda asked looking at Dally questioningly.

"I'm right here," Pony said slowly standing up, groping for the bed. I went over to him and grabbed his arm to lead him to where Soda lay on the bed.

"Are you okay Pony?" Soda asked him worriedly.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I just want to do stuff for myself. I'm sick of having to depend on everyone for everything. I'm sorry Soda. I didn't know you were that close to the table."

"It's okay. I know you didn't mean to. You couldn't have possibly seen that the table was there. I'm fine. I just hit my head a bit hard."

"Yeah, but it could have been worse. I could have killed you! Don't you understand?" he shouted us.

"Pony, how do you expect us to understand if you won't tell us what's wrong?" I asked, frustrated that he hadn't told me about what he really felt about the accident.

"I don't know. One minute I want to tell you how I really feel, so that you can help me. But then I feel that if I tell you, you'll treat me like a little kid, afraid that I'll hurt myself or something."

"We're sorry if we made you feel that way, but we never meant to. We were just trying to protect you," Soda said quietly.

"Protect me from what? From getting hurt again? I can take care of myself!" Pony yelled at us before leaving the room as fast as he could without running into to something. I don't know what I was thinking, but something made me run after him.

"Pony! Wait! I need to talk to you!" I shouted as I ran after him. He had made it well down the street before I caught up to him.

"Why did you come after me? Are you afraid I'll get hurt or somethin'?" he asked mockingly.

"No, I came to see if my friend was all right. Pony, what is with you? Why can't you understand that we care?"

"I don't know, Johnny. But when all you hear is someone's voice telling you that they care and you can't look them in the eye to see if they really mean it or not. I want to believe it so much, but I'm afraid that if I do, it'll only be false hope."

"Pony, you use to trust us before. Why can't you trust us now? We'll never give up on you, Pony. Just cause you can't see us doesn't mean you can't trust us. It hurts to know my best buddy didn't trust me enough tell me how he really felt," I said hoping he would understand where I was coming from.

"Soda told you?"

"Yes, he told us 'cause he was concerned about you. He doesn't want to lose you and I don't either," I said trying to keep my voice under control.

"Soda didn't lie to me. You guys really do care."

"I don't know why you thought we didn't. We always have, Pony."

"I believe you. Can you help me get back? I want to give it another go."

"Yeah, I'll help you. We'll start over together," I said and slowly began to lead him toward the Curtis' house when a blue Mustang pulled up beside us. It was the Socs who had jumped the gang at the house.

"What do we got here?" one of the Socs asked as he got out of the car.

"Pony, we got to run. It's the Socs from the other night. We got to get to the house," I whispered in his ear. Pony looked at me, fear etched in his face. I grabbed him by the arm and we ran as fast as we could, but it was no use.
Sign up to rate and review this story