Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Wishing For The Impossible

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1492 words

0Unrated
Wishing For The Impossible

Steve's POV

I watched as Pony and Johnny ran out of the house. Soda was clearly upset and muttering something that I couldn't understand, while the rest of us stood there in shock, too afraid to move. I just can't seem to understand why the kid wasn't happy to have people actually care about him and want to protect him. Sometimes I wish my old man would care about me the way Pony's brothers care about him. I know they consider me part their family, but it isn't the same. When I was younger I would purposefully get into trouble or in a fight to see if he actually cared 'bout me, but he never did.

"We should go after them. Something's not right," Dally said being the first to break the silence. I could see the worry in his face and it scared me. Dal's not afraid of anything.

"I don't know, Dal. He clearly doesn't want our help. It'll just make it all worse, besides Johnny's with him," Two-Bit said quietly.

"It might make it worse, but it's better than not doing anything if something really is wrong."

"Do you think the Socs jumped 'em?" Soda asked jumping out of bed as fast as his spinning head would let him.

"I don't know, but I'm going after them."

"Not without us. We stick together no matter what. I got your back," Soda said grabbing his shirt off the bedpost and pulling it on.

"Soda, you can't go out like this. You hit your head hard and I can't let you go. If the Socs are there you won't stand a chance. We've already lost so much and I don't want to lose you too." Darry said staring at Soda with his tear filled eyes. He's finally accepted the truth. He finally believes what we told him, but it might be too late.

"I can take care of myself, Darry. But right now, Pony needs me and I'm going," Soda said as he strolled out of the room Dally not far behind him.

"We need to help 'em. If they run into some Socs they won't stand a chance. Not to mention that someone needs to lookout for them," I said trying to convince the rest of them that we should go after them. It didn't take them long to decide and we soon caught up with Soda and Dally. As we anxiously continued down the street, Pony and Johnny came into view surrounded by a group of Socs. What we had been so afraid of, was coming true.

"Pony! Johnny!" Soda yelled, still running toward them. The Socs turned towards us, leaving Pony and Johnny writhing on the ground where they left him. Two of them grabbed Soda and forcefully pinned him to the ground. No matter how hard we tried, there was no way we could get to any of them. Darry and the Socs' leader were going at it, as well as the rest of us. We're outnumbered and fading fast.

"Darry! Steve!" Soda yelled at us as loud as he could only to get another fist jammed into his stomache. His eyes were filled with pain and the way he's lookin', he won't last much longer. I turn back to my Soc to see him wavering on his feet and know this is as good a time as any to finish him off and give Soda a hand. I hit him as hard as I can in the head, knocking him straight off his feet and start to run towards Soda. He still had two Socs on him and was doing all he could to get them off, but he was hurt too bad. I grabbed the nearest Soc by his shirt and swung him as hard as I could to the ground. The other Soc quickly released Soda from his grip and turned to face me. I was able to lay in a few good punches before the other Soc collected himself from the ground and soon joined our fight. Even though I know we didn't really fight that long, it seemed like forever. In the end they took off in their fancy cars and drove away, leaving us to survey the damage they had done. I quickly ran over to Soda and helped him walk over to Pony and Johnny. He was limping bad and I had to support most of his weight. Johnny was cowerin' at every slight movement we made around him, while Pony on the other hand had a bewildered look on his face and was crying uncontrollably. Soda was the only one of them that was in a decent mental state, but physically his body had met it's limit.

"We need to get them to the house. Steve. Two-Bit. I want you to help Soda, Dally and I can get Pony and Johnny," Darry said rubbing his hand where one of the Socs had bit him.

"I don't need help, I'm fine. Let them help you with Pony and Johnny," Soda argued, pulling away from me only to have his legs give out on him and land hard on the ground. I know Soda didn't want to admit that he was hurt, so I waited for him to gather himself up from the ground on his own before we continued towards the Curtis' house. When we got inside I helped Soda onto the couch and then followed the gang to see if they needed help with Pony and Johnny. We took to their bedroom and put them both on the bed, before going back to the living room with Soda while Darry tried to calm them down. He gave them both some medicine and made sure they were asleep, before he joined us back in the living room.

"Are they okay? Are they goin' to be all right?" Soda started asking, his eyes lit up in concern.

"Yes, they'll be fine in a few days or so," Darry said not taking his eyes off the floor.

"What's wrong then?" he asked his brother, wondering if he wasn't getting the whole truth.

"I should have believed you and I didn't. I didn't want to believe that our brother would do something like that, but after what happened this morning, I know you were right and I can't help but think that if I done something about it, this wouldn't have happened. If I had talked to him like a real brother is suppose to, that this wouldn't have happened. That you, Pony, and Johnny wouldn't have been hurt if I had only listened, but I didn't," Darry said looking Soda in the eye with tears pouring down his face.

"Darry, I know you didn't mean to and so do they. You would never intentionally hurt us. There was no way you could've known that, that would happen."

"No, I didn't, but I still could have stopped it. They could've been killed! You could've been killed!"

"But I wasn't. You did the best you could to help me, but you couldn't and I knew that. They know that if you had known what was going on, you would've been there, but you didn't know. None of us knew, don't you understand that it wasn't your fault. When Mom and Dad died, do remember how I kept blaming myself, but you kept telling me that it wasn't my fault. Now it's time take your own advise. It wasn't your fault Darry, it wasn't anyone's fault."

"I know, but it seems that everything that has happen lately, I could've stopped. If I had never hit Pony they wouldn't have killed that Soc and everything would be fine. But I did and I made it even worse by not wanting to believe you. Look what happened," Darry said motioning to the bedroom where Pony and Johnny were sleeping.

"All right. If he wants to blame himself for everything then let him, but he's giving himself way to much credit because we all had a part in this, even if we don't want to admit it," Dally said, angry that the two of them wouldn't stop bickering.

"Come on, guys. It's gettin' late and we do need some sleep. See ya in morning," Two-Bit said slowly picking himself off the floor and starting on his way home. Once he had left, the room became filled with silence, but you could still feel the tension. We soon took Two-Bit's advice and decided to get some sleep before morning came. Dally began to head over to Buck's place and I headed on home, but the thoughts were still racing across my mind. They really could've been killed. Some many things had changed in the last two weeks, but it had all been for the worst, and I couldn't help but wonder when our luck was going to change. It was like wishing for the impossible.
Sign up to rate and review this story