Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

A New Direction of Fate

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1217 words

0Unrated
A New Direction of Fate

Darry's POV

No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't fall asleep. So many things had happened in the last few weeks that I never dreamed could happen. None of us ever thought it was possible for Johnny to kill a Soc or for Pony to become blinded in a fire. When Mom and Dad died, we thought our lives couldn't get any worse, but they did. Johnny and Pony had to run away for murderin' that Soc, then they got caught in that fire tryin' to rescue those kids. Now Pony's blinded for the rest of his life and there's nothing we can do for him. Not only that, but Soda tried to tell me that Pony wanted to kill himself, but I couldn't believe that my little brother could think such things and because I denied it, we all paid the price. I let him and Johnny run out of here and now they're both hurt, along with Soda, all because I wouldn't listen. Now, I have to face the consequances.

"Soda! Darry!" I heared Pony yell, followed by a shrilling scream. I quickly jumped out of bed to see what was wrong. As I made my way to his room I could see Soda slowly rising off the couch, hurrying to get to Pony. Johnny was sitting on the bed when I walked in, trying to quiet Pony's screaming, but couldn't seem to wake him. Pony was having another nightmare. I placed my hand on his shoulder and gently tried to shake him awake. Soda was soon at my side, talking to him softly. His screaming soon died down into a faint murmur and he finally woke up.

"It's okay, Pony. It was just another nightmare. You want to tell us what it was about?" Soda asked in a soothing voice, putting his arm around his younger brother.

"The fire. It was about the fire and the night we killed Bob Sheldon," Pony said softly, looking Johnny straight in the eye, tears beginning to well up in his eyes.

"Oh Pony, it's all going to be okay. We're here now and we won't let anything like this happen again," Soda said embracing our brother in a gentle hug.

"Yeah, I hope your right, Soda. You guys might as well go back to bed. I'm sorry, I woke everyone."

"Don't worry 'bout it. I've got enough sleep to last a lifetime," Soda said jokingly.

"You sure, you're all right?" I asked, worried about how frequant his nightmares had become.

"I'm fine, you can go back to bed. I'll be all right, really," Pony said reassuringly.

"Okay. I'll see you in the morning, kiddo," Soda said limping his way out of the room and back to his spot on the couch. Johnny crawled back in the bed beside Pony and I went back into my own room. As soon as I layed down, my eyelids felt heavy and I fell asleep, all my worries disappearing.

When I woke up the next morning, I could hear the gang talking in the living room. I sat up slowly, trying to convince myself that I really did need to get out of bed. I finally managed to get up and throw on a change of clothes. I walked into the living room to find everyone gathered in front of the T.V. eatin' and talkin' away. Dally was the only one not here, but in a way I was happy he wasn't. One thing you got to know about Dally is that he is definitely not a morning person.

"Hey Darry, what took you so long?" Two-Bit asked, looking at me curiously.

"I bet you, he was dreamin' 'bout them girls again," Steve chimed in, before I could manage a reply.

"And you better watch your mouth or you might not like the outcome."

"Loosen up, man. I was just kiddin' you," Steve said standing up and argueing defensivly.

"Will both of you just sit down and see how long all of us can go without fightin' for once," Soda said annoyed at us both.

"Take it easy, Soda. You know I could never really hurt him," I said walking over to Steve and putting my arm around him, jokingly.

"Then would you mind telling me who really busted my jaw?" Steve asked sarcasticly.

"Hey, if it wasn't for that big mouth of yours, I wouldn't have had to break it."

"Very funny, Darry. Very funny."

"Anyway, what's for breakfast? I'm starved."

"There's some more pancakes and eggs on a plate, layin' on the counter," Two-Bit said stuffing another bite of his own food into his mouth. As I walked into the kitchen, I saw the food layin' right where Two-Bit said it was and dished some out onto another plate. But before I could make my way back into the living room, Dally came through the front door.

"Hey Dal, we thought you'd never get here," I heard Two-Bit say as I returned to the living room.

"You save me somethin' to eat?" Dally asked walkin' over to the corner of the kitchen lookin' for somethin' to eat.

"Yeah, I saved you some. Help yourself to what's on that plate in there," I said sitting down on the couch next to Soda and Pony.

" Can one of you help me get some clothes layed out? I need to take a shower," Pony said slowly getting up off the couch.

"I'll help you. Anything particular you want to wear?" Two-Bit asked walking over to Pony and guiding pass the stuff that scattered all over the floor.

"No, I don't care, just pick something."

"Okay," Two-Bit said leading Pony to the bathroom and collecting a change of clothes for him to put on. As soon as Two-Bit had given Pony the clothes, he turned on the water for him and left Pony to take his shower. Dally soon returned from the kitchen with a plate full of food and sat down on the couch where Pony had been sitting.

"So how's the kid?" Dally asked, studying our faces.

"He had another nightmare, last night," Soda said in a quiet voice.

"Did he say what it was about, this time?" Dally asked, worry etched in his face.

"About that Soc and the fire. He was real shook up, Dal, real shook up," Johnny said looking down at the floor.

"Soda, we need to talk. Pony needs help, more help than we can give him. We need to either take him to a doctor or send him to a group home. I hate to say it, but I'm not going to take the chance to lose him again," I said, my thoughts from the night before, fresh in my mind. However, Soda was no longer paying attention and was staring straight past me at something else. I turned my head to see what he was looking at only to see Pony staring back at me, he had heard everything I said.

"Pony, I . . . I didn't mean . . . ," I stuttered, not knowing quite what to say, but before I could explain, Pony ran to his room, slamming the door behind him. Just when I thought our fate had changed for the better, it instead changed for the worse.
Sign up to rate and review this story