Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

A Strange House Party

by Emilie_D 1 review

An ordinary sort of day...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-11-11 - Updated: 2006-11-11 - 3103 words - Complete

1Insightful
The fliers stayed out playing on brooms for two hours. All of them were exciting to watch, but Hermione had told her that Harry was a remarkably talented Seeker, who had led Gryffindor to win the Quidditch Cup. A snort from Severus made Zelda stifle a chuckle, but he heard it and smiled.

Molly arrived and watched her daughter risk life and limb with the two boys, struggling valiantly not to fret openly.

"Molly, do you worry more about her than about her brothers?" Severus asked.

"Of course I do," she snapped.

"Your daughter is the toughest and most stubborn of all your children, and your heartfelt concern will only push her to greater excesses," he pronounced calmly.

Molly stared is amazement. "I've never heard you offer an opinion about a student, Severus. Why now?"

"She obviously wishes to be part of Potter's merry band," he said, "and feels excluded. The wholesome outlet of risking life and limb on a broom is necessary to keep her contented."

Hermione and Zelda had watched this exchange in amazement. When Molly turned to them looking for support, Hermione said, "It's true, Mrs. Weasley. If you work at Hogwarts you'll find things out about Ginny. She's my friend, but she's not sugar and spice and everything nice."

Molly looked at Zelda, who said gently, "Wear the mask, Molly. Allow her to feel in control when you can, unless you want her haring off after these three."

Molly looked from Zelda up to the sky, where he daughter sped by, diving dangerously close to the ground and soared straight up again with a shout of glee. "I suppose she's no more likely to kill herself than the boys were," she muttered weakly.

"Actually, I imagine she's less likely," Zelda responded. "From the little I've seen, she's quite the control freak. I am too, so I recognize the signs. I worry more about Harry. He's a risk taker, and far more likely to lose it."

Severus groaned internally at her words. He remembered his own past, the time he had thrown away his own obsessive control out of rage and despair. Potter was on edge emotionally, with no time to regroup and find his bearings, a very dangerous thing for all of them. There was nothing he could do, however.

The three finally landed and joined them, sunburned and laughing. Harry looked much better for having a physical release for his tension.

"Zelda, If I bring my Firebolt here, will you keep it for me?" he asked eagerly. "The best way for me to travel at home is Apparating, and I'd love to use it here."

"Of course, Harry," she replied, happy to see him looking like a normal boy, for once. "I probably won't use it to sweep the floor," she said teasingly.

They all looked shocked at the very idea. Molly looked at her daughter's glowing face and said regretfully, "Ginny, I hate to cut your visit short, love, but you promised to help us move, and Mr. Filch has made himself available in one hour to assist us."

Ginny's face fell, but she was happy enough with her visit to be cooperative. "Thank you for letting me stay, Zelda," she said forthrightly, holding out her hand.

Zelda took it firmly and said, "I hope you'll come back again, if you'd like."

Ginny smiled her thanks, and Molly nodded to the rest of them. "Thanks, everyone. We'll see you soon," she said, and Apparated away.

Zelda looked at the two sweating, sunburned boys. "Would you two like to cool off?" she asked. "If Severus and Hermione will start lunch, I'll show you where you can swim."

Severus smiled reminiscently at her words, hoping he could find time to be alone again with Zelda there. In the meantime, he said, "Miss Granger? Shall we go?" First he Summoned two large towels from the cabin and tossed them to Zelda.

She turned and headed for the forest with the boys in tow, handing them each a towel. "Remember the path, because I'll show you the swimming hole and then I'm going back to help with lunch," she told them.

Harry was not used to adults being so kind to him, and he felt pampered by her attention. "I love it here," he said fervently. "No Death Eaters, no Daily Prophet, plenty of great food. Thank, Zelda. Flying was fantastic too. I feel better than I have in ages."

"Me too," Ron chimed in. "I reckon Mum won't mind if I leave my broom here too, so we can have a bit of fun when we're here."

"You guys need a break once in a while," Zelda said, "Hermione too. I have to go home eventually, you know. You're welcome there too, but I'll see how long I can stay here, so you can have some peace."

The trees opened up into the clearing, and the boys got their first glimpse of the forest pool. It was quite shady and private there. A fallen tree provided a natural bench to put towels on. It was perfect, Harry thought.

"I'll be heading back now, can you find your way?" she asked.

"Course we can," Ron said.

"Okay, have fun," she said, and left them.

Harry and Ron looked at each other.

"We sure lucked out when Snape managed to find Zelda," Ron said. "Everything was rotten, and the whole mess with... you know, hasn't changed, but I feel much better."

"I do too," Harry said, taking off his jeans and shirt, and Transfiguring his boxer shorts into swim trunks. Ron followed suit, and they jumped into the pool together, shrieking madly at the first icy sting of the water, and then relaxing as they grew accustomed to it.

As they floated in the water, Ron asked thoughtfully, "Harry, d'you reckon Snape still hates us as much as before?"

Harry was almost afraid to say the words; afraid that once he did they'd be a lie. "No. He still has to go spy on Voldemort, but when he's with her, he's happy. It's like it is for us, I think, everything's still rotten, but he feels better too."

"You don't hate him any more, do you?" asked Ron shrewdly.

"No," Harry said quietly. "I can't. I hated him worse than Voldemort when he... when Professor Dumbledore was killed. But I think his life's been awful, and he's still on our side. Not many people are, you know. Think of the Ministry," he finished bitterly.

"Yeah, a stupid lot of gits they are," Ron said cynically.

They floated in silence for a few minutes.

"Did Dumbledore give you any clues as to where we go next?" Ron asked. "You haven't said a thing."

"No," Harry said. "I hate to ask Professor Snape, but there's no one else, so I have to."

They floated again, listening to the forest sounds, each lost in his own thoughts.

"You serious about bringing your Firebolt here?" Ron asked.

"Dead serious," Harry replied. "Maybe my other stuff, when I'm not 'living' with the Dursleys any more. I don't want to impose on Zelda, but you heard her say she'll stay here as long as she can for us."

"Yeah, she's great," said Ron thoughtfully. "My parents are fine, but Zelda's kids are really lucky, having such a great mum."

Harry nodded. "If she hadn't been killed... I wonder what my mum was like. I wish I knew. People talk mostly to me about my dad, not her... but Snape knows," he mused.

"Harry, how d' you know that?" asked Ron, shocked.

Harry realized they were straying into forbidden territory of Professor Snape's Pensieve memory. "Well, they were in the same year, my mum and dad, Sirius, Lupin and Snape... but I could never ask him. Sirius and Lupin went on all the time about how cool my dad was, but they never talked much about my mum. All I know is that she..."he paused, near to tears. "She died to save my life."

Ron was silent. Hermione was right, he thought. Harry was going through a rough time and nothing looked like it would get easier. "Harry, we'll get through this, you'll see," he said awkwardly.

"Yeah I reckon the alternative's worse," Harry said in a determined voice. "Hey, d' you think they've got lunch ready? I'm starving."


&&&&&&&&&



Zelda had returned to find Severus and Hermione working efficiently on the noon meal. But the very moment that she shut the door, a movement in the portrait frame announced the arrival of Phineas Nigellus, and his first words infuriated her.

"You really must acquire a house elf, Snape," the late Headmaster drawled. "Or let your Muggle woman deal with the menial chores. Who is that female there, another of your..."

"Don't say another word, Phineas Nigellus/," Zelda snapped fiercely. "I'm tired of taking crap from you, and you'll keep your foul attitude to yourself when it concerns a Hogwarts student. That is Hermione Granger, /Miss Granger to you. Any questions?"

Severus smirked at her no-nonsense speech. What a wonderful woman she was, he thought proudly. He saw Hermione glance from Zelda, to him and back to the portrait.

"How lovely to see you, Mrs. Larsson," Phineas said smoothly. "I thought perhaps, in the manner of your kind, you had moved on in pursuit of new prey."

Zelda glanced at Severus, rolling her eyes. "Phineas, I imagine you fancied yourself quite adept with a wand in your lifetime. Feeling a bit impotent these days? All talk and no action?"

Hermione had turned away, her shoulders shaking slightly with mirth. Severus decided it was time to interrupt this absurd exchange of insults and get back to business.

"Headmaster Black, have you a message for me?" he asked coldly.

"Headmistress McGonagall sends her regards and hopes you will be available to receive her approximately five hours from now, Snape," Phineas muttered sullenly.

"I am at her disposal," Severus replied smoothly. "Is there anything else?"

Zelda took Severus's arm and cooed, "My goodness, isn't he the sweetest little errand wizard?"

Severus controlled his expression with an effort. "Behave yourself, my pet," he murmured provocatively. "Phineas Nigellus is doing his duty as well as he can." He turned her slightly and kissed her, making sure that the mark on her neck was visible. "Phineas, I expect you to behave respectfully to Mrs. Larsson."

Phineas stared to see the symbol of Slytherin House on the tender skin of Snape's betrothed. He nodded grudgingly and said, "I have nothing more to report."

The door opened and the two boys entered, looking fresh and relaxed. They looked curiously at Severus and Zelda, and they stared to see a wizard portrait on the wall.

"Ah, I see young Potter is loitering here. Shall I tell the Headmistress that he will be here when she arrives?" he asked sourly.

Severus turned to the boys. "Potter, Professor McGonagall will arrive here at five o'clock. Will you see her?"

"Uh, sure," Harry said hesitantly, having recognized the snotty voice of Sirus's dead ancestor.

"Very well, I take my leave of you," Phineas said with a last, sour glare at Zelda.

"Sev, you wretch!" Zelda said. "What was the point of that?" She was blushing.

"You are adorable when you blush," he murmured, stroking her neck. "Phineas remonstrated with me earlier regarding my duty to Hogwarts and to my House. I wish him to know that I have no intention of being coerced." He brushed his lips over her mouth and continued, "We must finish preparing lunch, my girl."

Zelda was scarlet faced as she began helping with the meal. The boys had gone to get dressed, and she glanced at Hermione with a reluctant smile. "Have you met Phineas Nigellus?" she asked.

"His portrait was in Harry's bedroom at the old Headquarters," she replied, "but he really only talked to Harry a couple of times. Why's he acting so obnoxious?"

"I guess it's a pure-blood thing." Zelda said, making a face. "It can't be because he was Head of Slytherin, because in my experience guys who hold that position are adorable."

Hermione giggled and saw Severus gaze intently at Zelda, causing her to blush again. "I'll go see what's keeping the boys," she said, and hurried off toward the bedroom.

Severus swept Zelda into a firm embrace and kissed her gently. "You are disastrous for my reputation," he whispered mockingly. "I do not believe those three fear me adequately."

"Is it okay if they respect you instead?" she mused. "Whether or not they did before, I'm rather sure they do now."

He was surprised by her statement and intrigued at the possibility. But there was no time to ponder it, because the pestilent threesome was returning, and it was time to eat.


&&&&&&&&&


After lunch, Zelda asked Harry if he'd be able to stay another night.

"No, I told the Dursleys I was called back to Hogwarts and I'd be back tonight. I'll stay to see Professor McGonagall for a few minutes, but then I have to go," he said quietly.

There was an ongoing sadness radiating from Harry that made Zelda's heart ache. He was better now, but she worried that he would break under the pressure of his task. "What do you want to do now?" she asked briskly.

"I'd like to lie down for an hour, if you don't mind," he said, his faint smirk reminding her that he knew she'd like to nap with Severus.

Zelda kissed his cheek with a sweet smile. "It's your world, Harry, do what you want while you're here. If we're not awake in an hour, wake us up, okay?"

Harry looked skeptically at Severus, wondering how he'd feel about being awakened.

"Knock," he said bluntly.

Harry snickered. "Okay," he said, and headed off to the room he was sharing with Ron.

Hermione and Ron watched him with concern written on their faces. Ron turned to Zelda and said, "We'll clean up and figure out what to make for dinner. I never knew what a lot of work it is to /eat/!"

"Thanks," Zelda said. "I'm not as young as I used to be, so I'd really like a quick nap." She grasped Severus's thin hand and pulled him toward the bedroom with a happy bounce in her step. "C'mon, if I can't get to sleep right away you can recite the instructions for the most complicated potion you know and lull me to sleep. It'll be just like teaching."

Ron broke up laughing in response to such silliness, and when the door had closed behind them he said, "No wonder he likes her, she's bloody hilarious. Can't you just see her asking Sn... er, Professor Snape to recite potion instructions when they're in bed?"

Hermione chuckled at the picture he created in her mind. "I think I saw Professor Snape actually laugh at that. Now, what should we have for dinner tonight?"

When the door closed behind Severus, his expression was pained. "Only one hour?" he asked as he Vanished her clothing and swept her up into his arms. "I hope you plan to make the most of it."

She smiled sweetly. "We woke up early, maybe we really should sleep."

"Ah, I shall have to change your mind then," he said, placing her on her back on the bed. He stroked her magical love mark, which was much more sensitive than such things normally are, and his eyes gleamed wickedly.

In the normal course of things, Zelda would never deny him anything, but she saw that he would enjoy convincing her. Lying naked with a fully clothed Severus kneeling between her legs and eyeing her like a delectable morsel was such fun. He did not touch her at once, and when he did it was to push her legs wider apart and stroke the inside of her thighs very lightly. She reached for him, but he simply pressed her hands back over her head, where she let them stay.

"My lovely pet," he smirked, "Such an obedient little creature."

His wicked expression and the growl in his voice made her smile and squirm in anticipation.

Severus ran an exploring finger slowly back and forth, pleased with what he found. "I shall let you sleep now," he offered generously, moving away from her.

"Hey! No!" she exclaimed. "Please, Sev?" She sat up and pouted. "Please come back."

He pulled his T-shirt over his head and tossed it on the floor. He looked incredible with his shoulder length black hair all disheveled like that. Impatiently he Vanished the rest of his clothes and she was delighted to see that she wasn't the only horny person in the room.

Zelda was kneeling, watching him from the center of the large bed, and she giggled when he crawled to her and dived on top of her, pinning her under his hard, wiry body. When her arms went around his neck and her lips found the sensitive place behind his ear he growled and when her legs wrapped around his waist he ground against her, listening happily as she moaned with pleasure.

It turned out there was time for both activities, a triumph of efficiency, Zelda thought contentedly, as she lay snug in his arms. She had awakened to find him still asleep, but even in his sleep he murmured contentedly and tasted the skin of her shoulder, kissing her softly. She heard footsteps moving toward their room, and threaded her fingers into his hair. "Wake up, love," she said, kissing his forehead.

They were prepared for the knock. The door opened a crack, and Harry said, "Zelda? Professor?"

"Thanks, Harry," she murmured happily. "We'll be out in a minute."

The door closed, and she said mockingly, "He wasn't taking any chances, was he?"

Severus sat up frowning, his cheeks flushed. "Zelda!" he scolded. "As if he did not see enough that morning at your house."

"Oh, Sev," she said, her cheeks turning a bright pink. "I forgot about that." She snickered. "You were sooo sexy, and even when you were weak from concussion I couldn't get the best of you."

He smiled reminiscently. "Perhaps one day you will manage it," he said condescendingly.

She flipped the covers off and got up. "We have to act like responsible adults at the moment, my love," she said with a chuckle. "In the meantime I'll design my long-term strategy for dominating you."

"Wicked little one," he muttered fondly. "Do your worst."

"I'll do my very best," she replied, "but would you please bring back my clothes now?"
Sign up to rate and review this story