Categories > Movies > Star Wars > At A Loss

More Than Useless

by quicksilvermad 1 review

AU: Seven years after the events of TPM, ObiWan is sent on a mission to protect Senator Amidala from the threat of a Sith Lord. From then on, things develop from friendship into something more...

Category: Star Wars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Amidala, Obi-Wan - Warnings: [!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-11-12 - Updated: 2006-11-13 - 564 words

0Unrated
PART II: Interlude
PART II: More Than Useless

/ /
Night had fallen like a suffocating blanket, and Obi-Wan sat against a courtyard fountain with a lightsaber cradled in his shaking palms. He didn't know how to feel... His training dictated that he should acknowledge his sorrow, but in the face of his sudden responsibility he felt that he shouldn't. He should represent a bastion of strength for his Padawan.

He was looking at his master's lightsaber as if he'd never seen such a weapon before. Obi-Wan turned it over in his hands-seeing it without really /seeing it. /

That was how Padme found him.

She was dressed in her handmaiden disguise and was currently looking at the young Jedi with concern. In her eyes, he looked somewhat lost. Like he didn't know what to do with himself. Quietly, Padme sat next to him on the ground.

Obi-Wan felt her presence in the Force before he noticed her seated right beside to him.

"How are you?" she asked.

His blank, slate-grey eyes glided from Qui-Gon's lightsaber to Padme's chin. Obi-Wan couldn't make himself meet her eyes just yet. He opened his mouth to answer her, but found himself preempted.

"That's a silly question," she admonished herself.

"But an honest one," Obi-Wan excused. "I'm still...dealing."

Padme watched a haunted look darken the color of his eyes. "Obviously, you aren't dealing with it very well," she commented.

His forehead creased with the most emotion she'd seen him express in days.

"You're allowed to be sad, Obi-Wan. I'm sad. I spent all of yesterday crying my heart out-and I'd only known Master Jinn for a few days. Obi-Wan, the man was like a father to you... I can't imagine how awful that must feel."

As she spoke, Obi-Wan's eyes dropped back to the lightsaber in his hands. His chin was quaking under the effort it took to not cry. He suddenly heard Padme take a shaky breath and knew that she was in tears.

She sniffled. "I suppose I can imagine it after all," she said and wiped under her eyes. "I don't know if it means anything to you right now," she hiccupped-her voice struggling through the sudden constriction in her throat, "but I'm here for you if you need me... A-an open ear..."

He wasn't sure if it was her words that set him off or her tears, but whatever it was about Padme, Obi-Wan's held-back tears began to flow. An embarrassing sob escaped him, and Qui-Gon's lightsaber fell from numb fingers and clattered to the ground. He tried to muffle the sound with his palms, but it became too much to handle.

Padme was quick to react. She grabbed his shoulders and dragged him into the envelope of her arms.

"I'm sorry... I'm /sorry," /he cried into her robe-twisted the fabric in his hands-shook with grief. Padme wasn't sure if he was ever going to feel cleansed.

"I wasn't /fast enough..." /

Padme cradled his head in one hand and slowly rocked back and forth-whispering. Telling him that it wasn't his fault. That he couldn't control everything. That he was just /one /person.

She knew that it wasn't enough-that he couldn't possibly be able to express all of his remorse with just his own tears. So Padme shed her tears just for him.

"You're okay," she sobbed. "You're okay... I've got you."




To Be Continued...

Please Review!
Sign up to rate and review this story