Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Planning Our Defenses

by Emilie_D 1 review

Minerva gets serious about defending Hogwarts.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-11-13 - Updated: 2006-11-13 - 3493 words - Complete

1Exciting
Molly Weasley and Minerva McGonagall arrived at nine o'clock the next morning to a silent cabin. They entered the kitchen and discovered that they were alone.

"I know what to do," Molly said. Having watched Zelda make coffee, she proceeded to demonstrate that she could master this important Muggle gadget.

Soon the aroma of coffee was in the air. As she went to rouse their sleeping hosts, she chuckled and said, "Minerva, while you're here, catch a glimpse of Zelda's bedroom. Severus not only magically enlarged it, but also made it a beautiful suite out of the Arabian Nights. I can't believe he'd create something so... whimsical and lovely."

Minerva stared skeptically, but had no time to respond. She watched Molly walk determinedly to a door and knock firmly.

Severus reacted first to the knocking, but he merely twitched. It was enough to wake Zelda, held tight in his wiry arms, and when the knock was repeated she called weakly, "Who is it?"

Molly chuckled to herself. "It's Molly. Minerva and I are here, and I've made coffee."

Zelda cursed under her breath. "Mmm, coffee..." she replied cheerfully. "I'll be out in two minutes." She kissed her drowsing wizard, gorgeous as always. His lank black hair was completely disheveled and his eyes remained firmly closed. She kissed the bridge of his hooked nose and said, "Wake up, my boy, we have company."

He sat up, groping for the comforter. "What? Here?" he hissed, staring around the room furiously.

"Not here," she snickered. "Molly and Minerva are in the kitchen." She pushed him back down, pressed her nose against his and whispered, "I love you, Severus."

"And I love you," he replied, holding her on top of him and kissing her long and hard. He hated to deal with more of grim reality when he had her in his grasp.

"I said I'd be out there in two minutes," she murmured as he moved her legs apart. His clever fingers began persuading her of a different plan. She weakened and whispered, "Is there time?"

His black eyes were stern. "Make time," he said firmly. "My need comes before theirs, and it is... urgent."

She collapsed, laughing helplessly. "Anything for you, my dear wizard." She threw her arms around his neck and they made love joyfully, yet mindful of the time. It was still splendid.

She slipped into a silky robe, fluffed her hair with her fingers and headed for the door. As she closed the door, she flashed a wicked smile at him. "You have two minutes, my boy, or I'll bring Minerva in to consult with you like this."

Molly and Minerva were drinking coffee, and they chuckled when she entered.

"You took longer than two minutes," murmured Molly with a knowing smile. She poured a cup of coffee and thrust it into Zelda's hands.

"Never mind," Zelda said with a smirk. "What brings you two back?" She took her first sip and her brain started waking up.

"I spoke with Hagrid," Minerva replied. "He's found two sites in isolated mountain ranges, and we're going to prepare them. He believes that some giants, if they're presented with protected homes, will just go. Kingsley and I will go later today to prepare the first location."

"I hope it works," said Zelda. "Will Hagrid approach them?"

"His brother will," Molly said. "The other thing I want is to ask Severus to try again to discover how the attack on the Ministry will go."

"He's trying," Zelda said gently.

"I don't want to nag, but I worry about Arthur and Percy... and everyone there."

"I wish to see Michael too," Minerva said. "Is he well today?"

"I doubt he's awake yet," said Zelda. "He was fine last night. I'll be right back."

She went to Michael's door and knocked hard. Hearing a loud groan she opened the door slightly. "Minerva's here to see you, so crawl out here, Sir Slug-a-Bed."

Michael snarled from under his pillow. "Five minutes, okay?"

"Hah! Nobody keeps the Headmistress waiting, babe. C'mon." She slammed the door a little harder than necessary.

Severus had arrived and she saw that he was back in his black Muggle clothing. She would've liked to see Minerva and Molly's reaction to the undershirt he wore the day before, she thought wickedly. But he needed to feel safe, her adorable, uptight wizard, so this was as casual as he could be. He was talking with Minerva, and she smiled at him as she went to the fridge and began assembling breakfast.

Michael's door opened and he strode out of the room like a man on a mission. He went straight to Zelda, put his hands on her shoulders and growled, "You woke me up, Missy."

She squeaked in mock alarm and asked, "What're you going to do?" She smiled ingratiatingly into his eyes.

He turned around briefly and said pleasantly, "Good morning, everyone."

Zelda threw her arms around his waist while he was distracted, kissed his cheek and said brightly, "Good morning, Sunshine." She then wrenched herself free, dashed over to where the others were sitting and plopped down between Severus and Minerva.

Michael chuckled at her smug smile. "I'll have my hideous revenge on you," he said. "Don't expect Severus to protect you, either."

"You always get your hideous revenge on me," she replied. "Why don't you sit down and I'll get your coffee."

"Please come and sit down, Michael," Minerva said. "I hope you've recovered from yesterday."

He smiled at her, and when Zelda rose to get his coffee, he sat where she had been. "I'm fine," he replied. "I still don't really understand what happened or what Severus did to fix it."

All eyes turned to Severus, who replied seriously, "It is something I never expected. Michael is more sensitive to magic than many wizards, although he cannot perform magic."

"How shocking," said Minerva. "Is it possible the Ministry does not know Muggles have these abilities?"

"I wonder if the Unspeakables know," mused Molly. "Kingsley might be able to learn the truth of it."

"Maybe later, after everyone's survived the next battle," Michael said. "So how's 'Operation Giants Go Home' proceeding?"

"We'll know definitely in a few days, but at least some will simply disappear before the attack takes place."

"The Dark Lord refused to tell me where the giants are, or any details about the Inferi," Severus said. "He suspects everyone, but if there are fewer giants than he planned, he cannot now connect me with it."

Minerva nodded. She wanted nothing to endanger his masquerade.

"About the Inferi, there are sources in the library," Severus continued. He went to the table, Conjured a quill and parchment and proceeded to make a list. "These books are in the Restricted Section," he said, handing the list to Minerva. "They describe what is known of Inferi."

"Thank you," she said.

"Now, Minerva, which of the staff will you inform first?" he continued seriously. "You must decide quickly."

"Madam Pomfrey must know in advance," she said thoughtfully. "I trust Filius completely, and he is the best person to work on repelling the Inferi."

"He is indeed," replied Severus. "What about Horace Slughorn?"

"Don't tell him," Zelda snapped harshly. After she returned with Michael's coffee, she stayed quietly behind Severus and startled them all with her statement.

They all turned to stare at her. "Zelda? Why not?" Molly asked seriously. "We need all the help we can get, and he's very clever."

She shook her head irritably. "Something rubs me the wrong way about him. Minerva, use Legilimency on him first, and watch him. Don't tell him unless you're sure."

"Very well, Zelda," replied Minerva. "I'll examine him closely. At first I'll only tell Filius and Poppy, since their skills will be essential when the time comes. And of course, Hagrid."

"What of the Order?" Severus asked. "Have you considered where each of them should be? Perhaps in response to the Dark Lord's divided attack, you should divide the Order in two."

"An excellent idea," Minerva replied.

Zelda had returned to preparing the meal while they spoke, and she said, "Breakfast's ready."

They all headed for the table and the discussion ended for a short time. When they finished eating, it was decided that Molly should begin learning Occlumency from Zelda, and Minerva should have a session with Michael and Severus. So they divided forces, with Molly waiting while Zelda finally got dressed, and then they went outside to be alone.

The next hours went quickly. Molly made good progress for a beginner, Zelda thought proudly, but she did not have the same aptitude as Minerva. Molly would need much more practice before she could rely on her skills. "You look tired, so that's enough for today," she said firmly.

"It's quite exhausting," replied Molly, rubbing her temples. "But I'll be able to practice on my own now."

"Definitely," said Zelda. "Now, Molly, what about Kingsley Shacklebolt? Is his first loyalty to the Order?"

The witch smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry about Severus," she said. "Kingsley manages to avoid the political games at the Ministry precisely because he sees what really matters. There are Order members who must not know about Severus, but Kingsley's no danger."

Zelda sighed deeply. "Thanks," she said wearily. "I... don't easily trust handsome, charming, powerful men. He's just too good to be true."

"He asked me about you and Michael," Molly confided. "He had no idea that Muggles can have magical abilities and wondered if you're to be trusted."

"Paranoid minds think alike," Zelda quipped. "Speaking of paranoid, um, about Professor Slughorn..."

"You don't trust him, and I'd like to know why."

"It's too subtle to pinpoint," she replied. "But Molly, just watch him carefully. If he's a spy, or under that Imperius Curse, you don't want to be caught trying anything. Do you think you could get Shacklebolt to try Legilimency? His skills are incredible."

"Professor Slughorn won't be expecting someone he hardly knows to try it," Molly mused. "Especially if someone else distracts him with conversation. I will watch him, and we'll be careful."

"Thanks. I feel weird chiming in about things I know so little of," said Zelda. "Hey, how are the kids doing? Is Ginny more cheerful about the move to Hogwarts?"

The witch chuckled. "You were right about Harry," she said. "I've asked Harry to check in with me regularly, so she'll at least see him regularly at Hogwarts. We have a guest suite in our quarters too. Hermione's parents are traveling outside of the country this summer, so she's staying with us. So things are fairly stable now, until we must move her before the attack comes."

"That's great. And are they making progress on finding the, er... things?"

"Hermione and Ron are working in the library, and Harry's exploring the Forest with Hagrid. Whatever Severus said to Harry, it's energized him," said Molly.

"I'm glad. I hope it goes well. How's Harry feeling?"

"It's hard to say," Molly replied. "I worry about him, but he's very guarded. I think he wants to come back here to escape the pressure, but I imagine he won't, until he's found and destroyed another... erm."

"Did you know he asked if he could bring his things here after he leaves his aunt and uncle's home on his birthday?"

"No! I hope he knows he'll always have a home with us," Molly said passionately. "I feel he belongs with us."

"He belongs in your world, not mine," Zelda agreed. "But here, he can escape being the hero of your world and just be a kid. And there's the other factor that he really won't talk about, Molly."

"You mean Severus, of course."

"I never gave a lot of thought to destiny before, but if they both survive this," Zelda said thoughtfully, "those two won't be able to move forward until they've dealt with the baggage they share."

"You told Hermione to watch Harry's face when someone mentions Severus," said Molly. "I have, and he... Severus matters deeply."

Zelda nodded. "Molly how well did you know Harry's parents?"

"Not well at all," she replied. "They were in the Order, as were my brothers, but Lily and James were much younger than we were, and my hands were full with my boys. Lily was very beautiful, and obviously crazy about James. He was charming, an older version of Harry, really, except..." she paused thoughtfully. "He was a pure-blood wizard, and a bit full of himself."

"Did you know he and Severus hated each other?" asked Zelda.

"I don't know why," replied Molly. "I don't want to sound too negative about Harry's father, knowing that he died fighting to save Lily and Harry. But I thought he still acted rather like the conquering Quidditch hero he was at Hogwarts. But I may be unfair. You've met Arthur, so you see that I don't care much for flashy types."

Zelda laughed. "You know, that's exactly what irritated me so much about Kingsley Shacklebolt. He's too handsome and too sure of himself. He pours on that smooth charm and thinks he's so slick."

Molly laughed. "Aurors have different specialties. Kingsley's the charming one. I know him fairly well, so I'm immune from the elegance and charm."

"Or maybe he knows you too well to use it on you any more," said Zelda cynically. "My ex-husband was conventionally handsome and charming, so I'm allergic. Of course, I was stupid when I was young. If I'd known someone as wonderful as Severus was out there, I'd never have fallen for slippery charm."

"What is it that you saw in Severus?" asked Molly. "I can't imagine him letting his guard down enough for you to see beyond that icy wall he presents to the world."

"He had a pretty severe concussion when I found him, and hypothermia. I said I had to bring him to a Muggle hospital for treatment. I didn't know how bad that would've been for him, but he tried convincing me to take him home with me, and finally let me look in his eyes." She smiled reminiscently. "I loved what I saw there, Molly. He's the most honest, courageous person I've ever known."

"What a romantic story," Molly said dreamily.

"I know. The ridiculous thing is that I'd rather be eaten alive by Thestrals than let anyone catch me in a wild romance. Severus is ten times more embarrassed, but here we are," she finished, blushing. "It's too wonderful, and I'm scared to be so happy."

"If the witches who knew him before could see him now, they'd be jealous," Molly said. "He's been quite amazing with you."

The door to the cabin opened and Severus walked out with Michael. He was listening intently to something the older man was saying, but looked immediately to find Zelda.

"Back in black again, I see," said Molly impishly.

"I don't give a rat's ass what he wears," replied Zelda cheerfully. "He's totally adorable in his billowing black robes."

Molly was giggling when the two men arrived in their shady nook.

"Care to share the joke?" Michael asked with a smirk.

"It's a woman thing," quipped Zelda. "We just share recipes and swap tales of childbirth and knitting patterns. The usual female blather."

"Ew!" groaned Michael. "We'll leave then."

"Speak for yourself," Severus replied smoothly, flicking his wand to enlarge Zelda's chair. He seated himself next to her, put his arm lightly across her shoulders and said mockingly, "You may spare me tales of childbirth, but I enjoy cooking. What recipe are you discussing?"

"Never mind," Zelda said happily. She turned and smiled at him, and he traced her cheek with a caressing finger.

Minerva came outside then, and gave Molly a significant look. "We must return to Hogwarts, Molly, and work on assigning the Order members to the site each will defend. I believe we'll call a meeting for tomorrow and inform them of what we've learned, ask for suggestions and then I'll tell them what to do."

Molly chuckled. "Good luck with Mad-Eye," she said gleefully. "Won't Mundungus be out of Azkaban soon? He'll be thrilled to take orders from you."

Minerva snorted in a most un-Headmistress-like manner.

"Life as a fugitive has compensations, Minerva," said Severus with an ironic smirk. "I could add a room here for you, should you... crack under the pressure."

"Tempting, Severus," she replied pleasantly. "I shall keep your offer in mind. Don't bother to get up."

Molly rose and the two witches said their farewells quickly and Disapparated.

Zelda relaxed against Severus's arm and put her head on his shoulder. "About adding a room, I hope Minerva won't need to move in, but maybe you should add a room for Ginny and Hermione. If Michael's here I don't want him stuck on the couch so they can have a room."

"Very well, and you shall choose the color scheme," he replied magnanimously.

"Really?" she said, grinning happily. "You did such a beautiful job with the rest, that I'm a little intimidated. But I'd love to consult."

"Severus! You chose the colors?" Michael asked in amazement. "Zelda," he pleaded outrageously, "he must be gay. He's a natural at interior design."

"Shut up, Michael," she replied firmly, putting a caressing hand on Severus's thigh.

"It's just such a waste," he moaned impudently.

"I sometimes thought that about Phil," she said in amusement.

"Really?" Michael said, deeply shocked.

She giggled. "Nah. I wouldn't have changed him, ever."

Severus was starting to find their ongoing, absurd dialogue a familiar comfort, he realized. "Is there anything you wish changed about your room?" he asked Michael, as he rose and tugged Zelda to her feet.

"No, it's absolutely fabulous," he said. "But will it change back?"

"Not as long as I live," Severus replied. "A feature of magic is that some spells last as long as the caster lives. Others are of short duration." He held the door open for them to pass inside.

Zelda's eyes grew wide. "So as long as this place doesn't change back to the pokey little cabin..."

He hadn't thought of it that way, but she was right, "I shall be alive," he said, snaking an arm around her and hugging her comfortingly close. "Even if I am not here, my girl, you will know."

"Does anyone else know?" she asked.

"I don't know if they will realize it," he replied. "But you two will know. If it seems dangerous to tell anyone I am alive, for whatever reason, even though you know it, play along."

Michael and Zelda looked apprehensively at each other, wondering what circumstances would force them to play such a game, but they both nodded.

"I shall always come back here when it is safe to do so," he said to Zelda. "But if neither of you will be here, how can you let me know you are safe?"

"Well, if the Portkey's gone, that'll be a clue," Michael murmured. "Otherwise, something that's not obvious."

Zelda chuckled. "I know," she said mischievously. "Michael, why don't we use a phone answering machine? If we have to leave, we'll record a message for Severus. A wizard wouldn't think of using a Muggle thing like that."

"You must teach me to use it," Severus said, pleased with her ingenuity. "In an emergency, try to knock something over in front of Phineas's frame. If he gets here first, he will report immediately to Minerva."

"Not much margin for error," Michael said lightly.

"No margin for error," Severus replied. "Undoubtedly errors will occur, however, and we shall deal with them."

Zelda was getting depressed, imagining everything that could go wrong. "Did anyone notice that we missed lunch?" she asked piteously, trying to lighten the mood.

"Tough it out, brat," Michael jeered, joining the silliness.

Zelda turned a pouty face to Severus, who smiled ironically into her puppy-dog eyes. "My poor girl," he murmured, stroking her silky hair. "Michael, make lunch immediately. She needs sustenance," he snapped.

"You're so /whipped/, Severus," Michael said nastily, but his eyes twinkling delightedly. "I'll do it, but only because you gave me my own bathroom."

"Cook up a storm, babe, and I'll clean up," Zelda said magnanimously. She turned and hugged Severus.

"Not only will I make lunch, but while you're cleaning up, I'll drive to town and buy us an answering machine. Is there anything else we need from a store?"

"No," she replied, worry clouding her brow again. "But we should get it right away."

He nodded seriously, catching Severus's eye and sharing his wish to cheer her up. Then he smiled and said lightly, "Go cuddle the ridiculous wench, Severus, or she'll hang around begging for food."

Zelda laughed as Severus picked her up and carried her to the couch. "I have her under control, now cook, Michael!" he commanded, locking his arms around her and holding her tight for a long time.
Sign up to rate and review this story