Categories > TV > Xena: Warrior Princess > Pebbles

Your Hand in Mine

by ukeueue 0 reviews

Challenge details: "We're pre-twilight, Eve isn't born yet. Xena (and of course Gabby) have just rid the world of Dahak and things are more or less back to how they were before. As for our Olympian...

Category: Xena: Warrior Princess - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance - Characters: Ares, Xena - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-16 - Updated: 2006-11-17 - 369 words - Complete

0Unrated
30. Your Hand in Mine
9 June 2006
X/A - response to AreslovesXena's FF challenge.

Xena poked at the fire listlessly and listened to the rain hitting the ground outside, a steady low roar with the occasional patter of individual drops. Her eyes slid over the sword. The flickers of firelight didn't quite match up with the shifting pattern of light and dark along the blade, as if it barely existed as part of this world.

She wasn't going to touch it.

He couldn't touch it, either, as demonstrated by the crackle of lightning that snapped at his hand when she tried to give it to him and make him go away.

She looked out at the rain.

He was a fool.

Xena stepped out into the night and approached the figure hunched under a tree that shook in the wind and deposited a stream of water on his head.

"Why are you still here?" she demanded, her voice harsh and loud after the quiet.

To give him his due, the look Ares gave her was as disdainful as any crown prince's. "In case you haven't noticed, you've got my godhood."

"I agreed to keep it safe for you, not to babysit."

The flash of anger she expected to see didn't appear. "I'm tired, Xena. If you're going to jab me with that stick up your ass, at least wait until morning."

He shivered and huddled into a smaller ball.

"Why?"

His head shot up, but she wasn't looking at him. "If you'd listened in Britannia," he bit out savagely, but stopped when she flinched. Water rolled down her arm and dripped from her fingers, each drop seeming to elongate her nail before separating. "I'd never been that helpless before," he muttered, barely audible above the rain.

She turned and looked at him now, face distant as always. He cursed inwardly, vowing to knock that blank expression off her face. His nose itched. He rubbed it roughly and almost immediately, he sneezed loudly.

Ares felt a flush creep up his neck, but when he looked up again, there was something like a smile in her eyes.

She reached out her hand with the elongating, dripping fingers to him and said, "Come on."
Sign up to rate and review this story