Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Company Arrives

by Emilie_D 1 review

Since Severus can't go to the Order, some Order members go to him.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-11-17 - Updated: 2006-11-18 - 3578 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Around noon, Severus roused himself to prepare for unwanted guests. Phineas Nigellus, Potter and his irritating pals, Minerva and possibly more pests would soon arrive.

He smiled at the woman sleeping by his side as he recollected the past hours. Earlier, he awoke to find her gazing at him and had looked quizzically at her.

"Don't move, I'm not finished looking," she had whispered, smiling.

He scowled. "Spare us both, my girl."

She smiled, and her eyes were wise and mischievous all at once as she flung the covers off. "Shhh."

His own nakedness would always make him nervous. He felt like a lanky, skinny, sallow-skinned freak, exposed before her. It was all he could do to stay still under her earnest gaze and he saw that she knew it.

"You're wrong, my boy," she murmured, having seen his thoughts. "You're totally splendid."

He tried to glare, but squirmed pathetically as she laid a gentle hand on his bare thigh. He was speechless.

She proceeded then to describe his body as she saw it, caressing him as she went. The one fact that pleased him, that he was, as she put it, "hung like a horse," was barely touched upon as she rhapsodized over his bony wrists, skinny legs and scrawny bum. Although she had characterized his body as lean, strong and elegant as she kissed him everywhere.

Severus had watched her tender mouth as she spoke. She was so engrossed in him that she was utterly unselfconscious. He loved her expressive blue eyes, he thought, listening raptly as she completed her embarrassing inventory of his physical attributes.

"And I can't decide which I adore most, your gorgeous nose or your wonderful stiff, stiff neck," she finished, first kissing the tip of his nose, then brushing his lank hair aside and repeatedly kissing the back of his neck. "Your neck most exemplifies stubborn, rigid, unyielding you, my boy."

"Are you finished?" he asked evenly, afraid to feel how deeply she had touched him.

"I'll never be finished," she replied with a wry smile.

At last she had thrown herself into his arms and he could relax again. But hours later he still was shocked that she could describe him in that way. He pressed his nose into her soft hair and inhaled the unique scent of her, wishing he was not forced to leave her again. "Zelda," he whispered, "Wake up."

Her mouth curved into a smile. "Morning, Professor Snape. Why don't we lock the door and pretend we're alone today?"

"Duty calls, my temptress," he said sternly. The sound of a car approaching caused him to stare in horror at her. "Michael too?"

Zelda rolled her eyes. "They must've planned a party in your honor. But if we have lots of guests, maybe they'll all talk to each other instead of bothering us."

"How pitifully optimistic, my girl," he replied. "Get dressed and we shall commence our performance."

By the time they they opened the bedroom door, they were assailed by something of a carnival atmosphere. The aroma of cooking was in the air, and after being isolated for weeks, Zelda found the noise of multiple conversations shocking. She counted the assembled mob. All four teens were busy in the kitchen with Molly, while Rowena waited patiently under the table for food to fall to the floor. Minerva and Michael were conversing in low tones with Phineas, but upon hearing the door open, everyone fell silent and turned to stare.

Zelda exchanged a resigned glance with Severus, showing that she shared his urge to turn back and slam the door in their faces. "Why didn't you tell us there'd be a party?" she asked with a cheery smile.

"Because knowing Severus's dislike of social events, he'd have snatched you up and fled," replied Minerva acerbically. "We have things to discuss, so today this is the Headquarters of the Order."

Severus's eyes had gone first to Potter. The boy looked paler than usual and too thin, but his eyes were bright and he was smiling at something Ginny Weasley had whispered. He looked hastily at Minerva, hoping no one had seen him.

"Severus, I wish to bring Kingsley here," said Minerva. She had watched him examine Potter anxiously and knew that another visitor would be another reason for him to worry.

"Why?" he snapped harshly.

"He must speak with Michael and since you trust no one, I want you here when he comes." She knew the burden of responsibility he felt for allowing Zelda and Michael to assist them. He worried about their safety, and if it meant battling it out through Legilimency with Kingsley before he could trust him, then so be it. She had already warned the Auror and he had agreed.

His eyes bored into hers. She allowed him to access her recent interactions with Kingsley through Legilimency, and he saw that she believed in the wizard's good intentions. "Very well," he replied curtly.

"Phineas, tell him I'll be there momentarily," said the Headmistress to the portrait wizard. She turned to Severus again. "Thank you."

After Minerva left the room, the others relaxed and resumed their previous activities. Severus went to Michael and murmured mockingly, "Is Minerva matchmaking?"

"As far as you're concerned," he chuckled. His brown eyes twinkled. "You shouldn't need to run the whole show single-handed, like a guy playing chess with himself, so the Order's going to plan the defense of Hogwarts without you."

"Keeping me informed as needed?" asked Severus. He suddenly felt better about everything.

"Hey, you're the man, Severus. The whole thing's resting on you and young Harry, and I despise it when people sit by while someone else does all the work."

Rowena barked once, the door opened and Minerva entered, followed by Kingsley Shacklebolt. The Auror was wearing blue jeans, a simple t-shirt and a buttery soft leather jacket. Michael's eyes narrowed appraisingly as he checked the man out.

"See something you like, babe?" Zelda murmured as she joined him, having watched Michael's face.

A cheery grin was his only answer. They watched Severus step forward, offer his hand and lock eyes with the Auror. Rowena sprang out and leaned protectively against her adored wizard.

Kingsley had never managed to look into Severus Snape's eyes before. The icy black eyes fascinated him as they attacked his mind, but the wizard's mind was a perfect wall. His impulse was to resist, but Minerva had warned that he must prove himself. He willingly allowed access to memories of school, training days, the first Order and even a glimpse of the cheeky brat he'd been, roaming London streets like a Muggle child, long before he'd known Hogwarts. The pressure suddenly withdrew.

"You now know me as well as my own dear mum," he said slowly. "My trainer at the Ministry was nowhere near as competent as you, Severus. Will you reciprocate now?"

Severus stiffened and his eyes narrowed. "No," he hissed coldly.

Zelda stepped up, having seen the man pass Severus's examination. "Welcome to our merry band," she said lightly, holding out her hand. The dog, who had seen very little of Zelda in the past hours, nosed insistently at her other hand.

"Thank you, Mrs. Larsson," replied Kingsley, trying subtly to charm her. He smiled warmly. "That's a fine dog. Is she yours, or Severus's?"

"Please call me Zelda," she replied. "The dog's mine, and her name's Rowena. Now, I think lunch will be ready shortly, but in the meantime, come in and relax."

Michael stepped up to them and drew Kingsley across the room to a quiet corner, leaving Severus and Zelda alone.

"He's really okay?" she asked. "It's acceptable if he comes here?"

"Yes," he replied. "fortunately, he is extremely competent and clever."

"Wonderful, something I don't need to worry about," she said gently. "I'm going to help the kids with lunch."

Severus followed a few steps behind as she joined the cooks. He watched Potter hug her confidently, and remembered that she had helped to save the boy's life. Suddenly the green eyes were looking over Zelda's shoulder, straight into his, with a burning question in them. He wanted to walk away, but instead forced himself to nod slightly in response.

Lunch was a lighthearted affair. Zelda and Michael both exerted themselves to entertain the others, and Zelda was not surprised when Kingsley joined easily into their absurd banter. She was not surprised either that Severus remained largely silent. After feeling like a pariah for most of his life, it was too much to expect him to enjoy being part of a happy social gathering, she thought sadly. She wished he'd open up a bit, so other people could see how clever and wickedly amusing he could be. But she knew that he was happy to be with her again, and that pleased her.

After lunch Molly and Minerva beckoned to Zelda and they went outside, leaving the teens to clean up. Rowena trotted with them and sprawled in the shade by Zelda's chair.

"How's it going with the rest of the Order?" asked Zelda.

"We've divided our forces. Arthur and Kingsley are planning to speak with the Minister of Magic next week, to warn him," said Molly. "The defenders at Hogwarts, besides Kingsley, will be Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks and Mad-Eye."

"Do they know about Severus?" asked Zelda anxiously.

"Severus does not want them to know yet, although eventually they must be told," Minerva said. "I've enlisted Mad-Eye to help Apparate the giants to their new homes."

"That'll keep him busy." Zelda chuckled. "Is it going well?"

"Seven more are going today, for a total of thirteen," said Molly. "It's a brilliant idea, Zelda. We believe four of these would have followed the Gurg. Our refuge in the Himalayas is prepared, so some that dislike the first group will be on the other side of the planet from their enemies."

"Zelda, how is Severus?" asked Minerva. "I realize that he hates having so many people here, but we have much to discuss, and Kingsley is now able to vouch for him with the Ministry."

"He's worried and tired," replied Zelda. "He won't know if the stupid Dark Lord's going to turn on him until it happens. He still feels guilty about not getting details of the Ministry attack."

The door banged open suddenly and the rest of the party poured out of it. They headed straight for the target area, carrying various black cases, and it seemed that Muggle weaponry was on the agenda. The three women glanced at each other, chuckling.

"Michael brought more of his toys, I see," said Zelda wryly. "Ah, yes, his favorite rifle. It was only a matter of time."

Molly watched her daughter striding briskly along with the rest of the group. "Is it safe for Ginny, Zelda?"

"That's an odd question, coming from a witch," said Zelda. "But Michael's the best teacher anyone can have, they're all very responsible. Of course, I can't speak for Kingsley."

"You should try it, Molly," suggested Minerva. "I did."

Molly stared at her in some surprise. "You shot a Muggle gun?"

"I did, and this is an excellent thing. Michael's a clever one. A shared activity is a perfect way to learn each other's capabilities," said the Headmistress firmly. "Let's join them."

Michael was explaining the basics to Ginny and Kingsley as Ron, Harry and Hermione each took out a gun and loaded it. Severus was wearing his leather jacket, and he pulled his Glock from the inner pocket.

"Severus carries a gun?" whispered a wide-eyed Molly.

"Michael gave it to him, in case all else fails," replied Zelda. "It's the last thing a wizard would expect, isn't it?"

Molly nodded. She watched Hermione confidently load a sleek handgun like the one Severus carried, step up to the line and fire repeatedly at the target.

"Not bad, Hermione," Harry said condescendingly. "For a girl, I mean."

"You do better, then," she huffed.

Harry took his time, and they all watched him cluster his shots close around the center of the target. He turned to his friends and grinned.

Michael chuckled. "Severus, do you remember how it's done?"

Coolly, Severus stepped forward and repaired the holes in the target with his wand. He then proceeded to put one shot after the other precisely in the center of the target. His face held no expression as he turned to face them.

"Showoff," snickered Zelda, but her blue eyes were admiring. "It wasn't bad for a guy."

"Are you next, Zel?" asked Michael. He was happy to see that this was starting to break down barriers between them.

"I'll shoot, but I think Ginny wants to try first," she said.

They all watched as Michael helped the girl adjust her stance and take her first shot. It went wide, but having learned what it felt like, she resumed shooting and hit the target again and again.

"Nice job," he said. "It's gotta be the wand thing with you magical people. I've never seen a Muggle learn this fast."

Ginny's cheeks were pink and she looked quickly at her mother. "Mum, are you going to try?"

Molly hesitated, the said with a laugh, "I'll try it, but your father's going to be sick with jealousy."

Everyone who knew Arthur Weasley laughed. Minerva Conjured another target, so that more of them could shoot, and the practice continued.

Michael beckoned to Severus and whispered something in his ear. No one noticed for a few minutes that they had moved farther aside.

"This is a sniper rifle," he said. "The range is much greater than for most of my toys. It has a telescopic sight and a range of about eight hundred meters."

Severus looked intently at him. "You can hit your target at that distance?"

"Yep," he replied calmly. "Conjure me a target on top of the hill out there. It's about three hundred fifty to that point, but there are too many trees to see farther."

Severus created a human-sized target, tiny at such a distance, and turned to watch him. The man moved with an economy of motion that was utterly elegant, he thought. The first shot took the head off the target and the second blasted the torso apart.

"Want to try?" asked Michael. At Severus's nod, he showed him the essential components of the weapon and reminded him to refresh the target.

When Severus looked through the sight, his target suddenly appeared extremely close. His first shot grazed one side, but he took his time and became more accurate with each shot. He turned to Michael, feeling quite pleased with himself.

"May I have a try?" Kingsley asked. He had watched the two men for several minutes after slipping away from the main group. It seemed unlikely that Muggle firearms could win this war, but he was always attracted to powerful weapons.

Severus and Michael exchanged glances and nodded. They were curious to see what the Auror was capable of, so while Michael demonstrated the weapon, Severus refreshed the target again. He glanced over at the rest of the group, where Minerva was demonstrating deadly accuracy with a handgun at one target, while Zelda showed Ginny Weasley how the shotgun worked. He proudly watched his clever girl for a short time before turning back to the sniper rifle lesson.

Kingsley proved to have skills as good as Severus and Minerva, to no one's surprise.

"What an elegant weapon," he said, handing the rifle back to Michael when he'd finished. "I wonder if there's some way to incorporate this into our defense."

"I considered the same thing," replied Severus. "Not at the Ministry, since shots flying in London would put Muggles at risk. But at Hogwarts..."

Kingsley sighed regretfully. "If a sniper were put under the Imperius curse, he could be turned against his own side."

"Were you thinking of Michael?" asked Severus. "He and Zelda cannot be present in a magical battle."

"I suppose not," Kingsley said regretfully, then grinned companionably. "It's a privilege to watch a master at work, Michael. What else can you do with that beautiful weapon?"

Eventually the entire group drifted over to watch Michael make shots at ever increasing distances. Incredibly, he never missed.

"Michael, you're bloody amazing," Ron said reverently. "Mum, I want to be a Muggle sniper when I grow up!"

Michael burst out laughing. "Well, I wanna be a wizard when I grow up, boy."

Meanwhile, Severus had joined Zelda, standing a little apart from the others. Glancing at the group to make sure they were not observed, he caressed her cheek. "I hate social gatherings," he muttered. "I have not touched you in hours."

"Dreadful," she murmured, casting an eye behind her. She stood on tiptoe, planning to kiss him quickly. He had other plans though, and pulled her hard against him, kissing her long and hard.

"Excuse me!" called Michael in a loud voice. "Before we finish here, Zel, you need a turn at this. Unhand that helpless wizard and get over here, lady."

Zelda groaned. "Oh, shit," she whispered ruefully. She turned to see the entire group watching them and knew how embarrassed Severus must be. So she strode briskly to Michael, took the rifle from him and loaded it.

"I should shoot you," she snarled, becoming more irritated when he and Kingsley both chuckled. Kingsley Conjured a series of targets and gave her a challenging grin.

"Do it, while we finish cleaning the other guns," Michael said. "You're upholding the honor of your weak, emotional gender, babe, so... no pressure."

A cold smile appeared on Zelda's face as she prepared to shoot. She sauntered past Michael and kicked him hard behind his left knee, causing him to stumble forward. Deliberately she took her position, breathing deeply as she prepared her mind. She adored the precision of target shooting, and when she was ready she began to pick off the targets, one after the other. She heard whispers at first from the girls, but as she continued shooting she became completely absorbed in what was a perfect round.

"I taught her everything she knows," Michael said smugly, as she finished.

"I upheld the honor of my gender, so you can clean this for me," she said, patting his cheek as she shoved the rifle into his hands. "Weak, helpless woman that I am, I think I'll go start making dinner."

Zelda winked at Severus, but went to where the rest of the group waited, and they began walking back to the cabin. Surprisingly, she saw Severus was staying with the other men.

"What did you think, Molly?" she asked.

"It's exciting, and I won't dare to tell Arthur or he'll be unbearable until he can try it," she said, her eyes glowing. "Michael's a marvelous teacher, isn't he?"

"He's a great guy," said Harry. He had been very quiet all afternoon, and kept himself a little distant. Now, in response to Zelda's questioning look, he moved to walk by her side.

"How are you, Harry?" she asked. "I think you look too thin."

"Yeah, Mrs. Weasley always says that too," he replied, frowning.

"Your birthday's coming up," she said playfully. "D'you have a plan?"

"Besides leaving my bloody, so-called family forever?" he said sullenly.

"Besides that," she said gently. "If you don't have plans, why don't you and your friends come here for a party? In fact, you can finally bring broomsticks and play that loony game you love. We'll have cake and ice cream," she offered with a slight smile.

Harry wondered if this was what it would be like to have a mum who cared. Even after he'd been a whinging brat, Zelda wanted to make his birthday nice. "I'd like that," he managed to say. He felt the eyes of everyone on him, and was afraid he'd cry, so he said, "I forgot something back there, I'll be along in a minute." He turned abruptly and walked back toward the target area.

The rest of the group walked on in silence. Harry's gloom had affected them all.

"Will you all come to his party?" asked Zelda. "I see birthdays are a sensitive subject for Harry, but he can't come of age without having a good day, war or no war. Is there a better place for his party?"

"This is the only place," Hermione assured her. "He really likes you, Zelda, and it's a great idea."

"I wish Fred and George could come," said Ron. "Dad and the other kids too."

"Could they come?" Zelda asked Molly. "Can you trust your sons with this? I've met Arthur, of course, and don't believe he'd tell. He should definitely come. Harry should have a happy birthday."

Minerva had listened, fascinated and amused. "Leave it to a mother to want something completely impractical to happen. Zelda, Severus will be furious if you propose letting so many people come here."

"I know," she said. "I don't want him to worry more. But maybe we could just ask him..."

They entered the kitchen, where Rowena waited, fresh from a long nap.

"Hello, baby," crooned Zelda, kneeling to kiss the dog's head. "We're making dinner now, so you can stand by to clean the floor. But first, go find Severus, okay?" She opened the door wide and watched the dog dash out. Then she turned to the group and said, "Now, who wants to cook dinner?"
Sign up to rate and review this story