Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Party Planners of the Order

by Emilie_D 1 review

Poor Snape, now he has to worry over silliness.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-11-18 - Updated: 2006-11-18 - 3921 words - Complete

1Exciting
Harry walked a short distance and saw Professor Snape walking slowly with Michael and Kingsley. He wondered if he knew that they'd destroyed another Horcrux.

Severus was surprised to see Potter stalking away from the others. He had listened to Michael and Kingsley discuss strategies very knowledgeably, and felt a lessening of tension. He could almost believe he would not have to do everything himself. But the sight of the boy disturbed him. He had long recognized that there was a bitter, dark side to Potter, and he wondered irritably what the problem was now.

"Excuse me," he murmured to the others, and walked out to meet the boy. Fortunately, he did not see the fascinated looks exchanged behind his back.

"Potter," he asked, "What are you doing out here?"

"Nothing," Harry replied sullenly. One glimpse of those familiar, penetrating black eyes jolted him. He couldn't forget that this man he'd hated for years was risking his life to help him, in a way that no one else was. "I, erm... I forgot something."

Severus struggled to keep from giving the wretched boy an approving look. His whole world, while offering more delights now than he had ever imagined, felt wildly off balance. Playing their absurd old game with the boy who lived was comfortingly familiar. He loomed menacingly over Potter and waited in silence, knowing the boy would not resist the familiar challenge.

"Okay... I just need to get away for a few minutes!" Harry snarled. "Is that a problem?"

"At last, honesty. How refreshing," he replied, curling his lip slightly. "Was telling the truth so very painful?"

"Yes," muttered the boy, his green eyes stormy. "I just want to be alone now. May I go, Sir?"

The blatant, needy expression on his face denied the stated wish, but Severus stepped aside and said, "Of course."

Harry looked disconsolate as he began walking away.

"Potter," Severus murmured softly. "Your finding and destroying the Ravenclaw Horcrux was a notable accomplishment." He strode back toward the cabin without another word, feeling the boy's eyes boring into his back as he went. The dog raced to meet him and frisked by his side as he walked.

He entered the noisy cabin with Rowena and everyone turned to stare at him.

"Where's Harry?" asked Ron.

"He wished to be alone," Severus said repressively. "He is in no danger and will return soon."

Conveniently, Rowena groaned and pressed her head against his leg.

"Look at that poor dog. You need to spend some time with her," Zelda said firmly. "She's been pining for you."

He scowled at her. "She is not my dog."

She grinned. "You saved my dog's life, now you're responsible for her too."

He wished he could drag her into the bedroom and ravish her, but he was aware that all eyes were on their absurd little exchange. He snapped his fingers and said, "Come, Rowena."

The dog walked precisely by his side as he went to the couch in the corner and sat down, motioning her to sit next to him. He stroked the soft ears, thrilled be alone. He hoped for five full minutes of peace there.

Back in the kitchen, they all awkwardly pretended that everything was fine when Harry returned, ostentatiously not staring at him. He went straight to Zelda and asked softly, "Can we talk?"

She smiled curiously and followed him to the far corner of the cabin, ignoring Severus's interested stare.

"Don't ask me if I'm okay any more, please?" he begged irritably. "I won't be okay 'til this is finished. But I'm sorry I was a jerk to you, and I'd really like a birthday party. It's just... I never had a party, just about me, on my birthday. I guess it's just... weird."

"If you want to be alone and play video games on your birthday, do it. But your friends want to be with you." She kissed his cheek, making him blush. "You have some great friends, and they'll even understand if you're a jerk. It'll be fun."

"Can I still bring my stuff here?" he asked tentatively.

"Why do you think I'd change my mind?" she asked.

"I dunno, maybe 'cause I'm a pain in the arse," he muttered drearily.

She grinned wickedly and whispered, "You're not more of a pain than Professor Snape, are you? And he's here for as long as he wants to be."

"Zelda!" Harry chuckled, shocked at her absurd frankness. "I should tell him!"

At the sound of Harry's laughter, Severus looked over at them, wondering what ridiculous thing Zelda had said to the boy.

"Blackmail, Harry?" she asked, giggling. "I'll tell him myself, right now. Go see if dinner's ready."

He smirked knowingly. "This is probably the longest you've kept your hands off each other, /ever/, isn't it? I'm outta here." He fled to where the others were putting the finishing touch on the meal.

"Impudent brat!" she hissed at his back. She sat down on the couch next to Severus, smiling when he collected her into his lap.

"What absurdities are you committing now?" he asked, comforted to hold her again.

She reported her conversation with Harry, watching his expression closely.

The black eyes narrowed and grew cold. "You cannot be serious about having a /party/. Every additional person that knows of your existence poses a risk to you. Potter does not need a party."

"Yes he does," she replied stubbornly. She asked slowly, "Did you have birthday parties when you were a kid?"

"That is irrelevant," he hissed in an icy voice. Although he was angry, he held her close against his chest.

She put her nose to his and whispered provocatively, "If you want, I'll have a party for you..."

"I cannot abide parties," he snarled.

"Well, if you'd had parties when you were a kid, you'd like 'em now," she replied. "Harry doesn't deserve the shit he's been dealt in life. His mother would want him to have a party, so he's having a party." She snuggled against him and kissed his cheek. "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

Of all the people in his life who'd disagreed with him, Severus reflected sullenly, none had ever done it while kissing and petting him. It distracted him from his righteous irritation. He groaned and muttered, "Only if it is safe for you. Potter will not risk endangering you, my girl."

She beamed at him. "We'll discuss it later." She glanced over his shoulder. "Curse it, dinner's ready, but I need this." She touched her lips to his, sighing when his tongue tempted her mouth to open.

"Am I a pain in the arse?" he whispered as they kissed and smiled into each other's eyes.

"Goddess, no, just adorably high maintenance and the delight of my life," she replied, nipping his lower lip.

Michael put his head around the corner and cleared his throat loudly. "Thank the gods you're still decent. Come and eat."

Zelda stood up, giving her friend a dirty look. When Severus was standing, she hugged him once more. "They'll leave soon," she said with an optimistic smile.

Michael grinned at Severus. "Well, about that leaving thing... But never mind, we'll talk later." His eyes flashed a brief message to the wizard, who nodded in response.

Dinner was a quiet meal. After sharing a good, productive afternoon they faced an uncertain and dangerous future.

"When will you leave, Severus?" asked Kingsley, leaning back in his chair with a satisfied sigh.

"Tomorrow," he replied. "I shall have few opportunities to return after this."

Zelda forced herself not to look stricken. After all, she'd known this as long as she'd known Severus.

"It seems we've made some progress today," said Minerva. "I propose that those of us who can, meet here one week from today. Severus, please notify us at any time if we can assist you."

He nodded. At his announcement, the faces around the table had all reflected deep concern and Potter had actually flinched slightly. It seemed excessive, given the previous lack of interest from anyone but Dumbledore about his personal safety.

At a word from Zelda, the teens began clearing the table while the adults adjourned to the chairs outdoors.

Severus reached discreetly for Zelda's hand as they walked, and enlarged a chair so he could sit next to her. "Minerva, watch Potter closely," he said. "He carries too heavy a burden. Without the Headmaster's guidance he is at greater risk than ever."

"I know," she replied heavily. "But given his unique position, he's really answerable to no one, and you know, as well as I, how little he respects authority."

"He is still a child. The fact that he has not yet been killed in his quest for the Horcruxes is amazing."

"Severus," interjected Michael, "Zelda and I'll watch him too. After Thursday he'll be here fairly regularly."

"About Thursday, can we let a few more people come here, just once, for his birthday?" asked Zelda hopefully.

"How many people?" Severus snapped furiously.

"Just a few. Molly's family, of course - assuming that her delightful twins promise not to turn me into a canary," said Zelda, her eyes twinkling. "And Hermione suggested two other kids, Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom."

Severus choked. "Merlin, not that dunderhead boy! And Luna Lovegood..." he controlled himself with an effort. "Anyone else? Rita Skeeter? Why not invite a Dementor while you're at it? Or a Blast-Ended Skrewt?"

"Just Hagrid," Zelda replied gently.

Kingsley strove valiantly not to laugh. Severus Snape was obviously not the person to plan Harry Potter's coming of age party. "Severus," he said softly. "I swear it'll only happen if we can assure Zelda and Michael's safety."

Severus looked into their eyes, one after the other, and was reassured by the competence he saw. Minerva, Kingsley and Molly were not light-minded or careless. The whole idea made him rather ill, but some of his worries were eased.

"I should mention that I've taken a month-long leave of absence from work," said Michael. "Someone responsible should keep an eye on Zelda."

"Good!" snapped Severus, earning a very dirty look from the love of his life.

"I must leave soon. I hate to think what disasters have occurred at Hogwarts in my absence," said Minerva. "Severus, please walk with me for a moment, before I leave." Her expression was grim as they walked toward the trees.

"Well?" he asked impatiently. The day had been productive, but had rubbed his nerves raw.

"Severus, thank you. I promise again that I'll do everything in my power to keep Zelda safe," she said gently. "As will Molly."

"Thank you," he said. "Since I assume you are proceeding with this ridiculous party, will you attend it?"

"Of course. I'm contemplating a Fidelius Charm, so that the guests cannot speak of the place or people once they leave here. Hagrid, of course, you know can be trusted."

"You relieve my mind," Severus muttered sardonically.

Minerva put her hand on his arm. "Severus," she said urgently, "Take care of yourself. We'll do what must be done to protect Zelda and Michael."

"Thank you," he murmured seriously. "It disturbs me that they are involved, but they have helped so much that I cannot wish it undone..."

"I know. But I must go," said Minerva. "I hope to hear from you soon." She gave him a thin smile and Apparated with a pop.

Severus returned to the others and realized that in a very short time, arrangements for Potter's bloody party had been made.

"Two o'clock on Thursday, then," said Kingsley.

"We'll bring the food and everything,' said Molly. "You don't need to do anything."

"Magical catering," said Michael, chuckling. "Awesome. We'll be sitting here relaxing then."

Zelda looked anxiously at Severus. She regretted that with so little time, he was upset about the party.

Upon reflection, Severus realized that keeping Potter sane might be a challenge, and from that perspective, the party might be a very good thing. He smiled ruefully into her eyes and sat down beside her.

"Everything all right?" asked Michael.

"Yes," said Severus. "But if you have all finished... bonding, how soon will you be leaving?"

Kingsley and Molly both began to laugh.

"We're leaving now, as soon as the kids are here," said Molly.

"I know when I've worn out my welcome," added Kingsley.

"You Aurors are so clever at picking up the subtle hints," said Zelda with a wide, admiring smile.

Right on schedule, the teens trooped out and joined them, with Rowena dancing eagerly along. Without ceremony they Apparated away, but Severus could not ignore the confused emotions in Potter's eyes. Emotions he chose not to analyze, but which disturbed him all the same.

Michael studied the couple compassionately. All joking aside, at any time Zelda might never see Severus again and the idea was wrenching. Watching Zelda blossom in Severus's love was marvelous to see. He'd become very fond of the younger man too, and respected the strength of his courage and conviction.

"You two need to be alone after all that disgusting socializing," he said knowingly. "I'll be hanging out with Zelda's dog. Let me know if you need anything, okay?"

Zelda gave him a quick hug and kissed his cheek. "Thank you," she said softly. Her chin quiver faintly, but she sternly controlled it before she turned back to Severus.

"Come along, my girl" said the wizard. "I feel weak after this ghastly day and crave rest." He put out his hand and captured hers, pulling her close. "Michael, Rowena needs a very long walk."

"You got it," said Michael. He looked down at the dog. "You heard the magic man, Rowena. Let's go for a walk." He grinned mischievously and strolled off into the trees, whistling cheerfully as the dog pranced around him.

"Alone at last," said Zelda. She hugged him tight and pressed her face against his neck.

Finally Severus could indulge his own desire. He scooped her into his arms and carried her into the cabin, into their bedroom. "Undress me," he commanded softly.

"I'd love to," she said as she efficiently removed it all. Her hands lingered on his waist and let her eyes wander over him. She grinned. "Wonderful," she murmured admiringly.

"/Evanesco/," he said, and instantly, she too was naked. She threw her arms around his neck, giving him another jolt of connection to her. When he returned to Voldemort, his memories of her must be buried so deep that her existence would be denied on most levels. But his soul would remember her and his body would still long for her touch.

"To bed, dear boy," she said. "Finally I can forget the rest of them and focus on you." Grinning, she tackled him and they fell on to the bed together in a joyous embrace.

"I never imagined being happy or loved before you found me," he said softly. He kissed her mouth softly and then began trailing his mouth downward, kissing her chin and working toward her left ear. "My beautiful love," he murmured. He paused long enough to smile into her eyes, and then fiercely sucked on her neck, where her magical hickey had finally healed.

"Again?" she murmured, laughing. She arched back to allow him access to her neck, placing her hand on his cheek with a blissful sigh. When he pulled back and smiled, she warned, "Not the euphoric charm."

"No," he agreed. If he could not be there to play with her, there was no point. "But I know another one..."

"So, once again I'm /The Property of Severus Snape/?" she asked. "Mad, adorable wizard."

Again he created that elegant S, low on her soft neck, wanting to leave this tangible reminder of his love upon her, such a delicious, childish impulse. He wished she could do it again to him, but there could be no lasting trace of her on him from this point. He stifled his regret and lightly kissed the mark he had made.

"Is it done? It just feels a little warm," she said.

His smiling eyes were her answer. She kissed the top of his black head as his lips resumed their travels. He took a nipple into his mouth, suckling greedily, which sent desire coursing down her body. "Ohhh..." she moaned. "I never want you to stop."

His response was to switch to her other nipple, cupping the first breast in his hand and squeezing convulsively. When this had reduced her to quivering desire, he continued his oral exploration of her body. This memory of her would be a physical one, with his hands and mouth remembering what his mind could not. The scent of her and the texture of her skin became more familiar and beloved every day.

"Severus," she whispered, touching him with a trembling hand, "I need to hold you." She reached for him, and he came into her arms, knowing he had come home. He entered her and she smiled into his eyes clasping him tight against her.

As they moved together, sadness crept over him. There would be no more days and nights with her until the Dark Lord was vanquished. Possibly this night together was the last they would have. "Zelda," he whispered, "Ah, Zelda..."

They slept very little that night. But they talked, not of the coming separation, but of their astonishing love and hope for a future together. As the sun was rising, Severus said, "I will try to come to you, when I can. But I cannot be away long, from this time forward."

Her blue eyes were serious. "It's okay. I'm here if you need me and in about two weeks we'll know. Rest a little longer now."

When she held her arms out to him, he kissed her softly and buried his face against her breasts. They slept like that, savoring their closeness until the sun shone through the window and the smell of breakfast cooking woke them again.

Severus dressed for his work, all in Muggle black. When Zelda got up, he handed her a pretty robe. "Wear this, please." It was a silky blue that intensified the color of her eyes, and it made her look adorably feminine, he mused.

Zelda slipped into her robe and brushed her bright curls. Her reflection displayed the new hickey, making her chuckle. "Michael's going to mock this," she said, touching it.

He picked up his black jacket and cloak. "Are you ready to face him?" he asked lightly, holding out his hand. He opened the door and they went out, hand in hand.

Rowena pranced up to them and nosed Severus's leg. He handed his jacket and cloak to Zelda and knelt to examine the dog. Her brown eyes were bright and she looked to be bursting with health. He stroked her firmly, noting that she did not flinch when he rubbed the hip that had been shattered. He caressed the soft ears. "Good dog," he muttered, rising.

"Zel, you wench, why aren't you dressed?" Michael asked. "And that hickey's so sexy it shouldn't be allowed!" He had watched Severus with the dog, but knew better than to say anything, so instead he hugged Zelda.

"Shut up, Michael," she said, rubbing her head against his shoulder. "I smell breakfast."

"Come and eat," he ordered. "The way you two go at it, you gotta keep up your strength."

They ate companionably together, not saying much, until Michael called them back to business.

"I talked with Phineas last night. Severus. He said Minerva wants to establish direct communication with Aberforth Dumbledore. Is that possible?" he asked.

"He would prefer not to, but given the imminent attack, perhaps he will agree. I'll ask him to make direct contact with her, if he is willing," Severus replied. "It must be discreet."

"She's pretty smart," said Michael. "She needs to know what he's up to, so I hope it works. Now, my other question is, are you confident about using the answering machine? Most of the time we'll be here, but I don't want you to worry about Zelda if she's not here."

A sardonic gleam appeared in the wizard's black eyes. "Since my father was a Muggle, I am not a complete stranger to your ways. I can pick up a simple message."

"You can't blame him for wondering," said Zelda. "Think of Ron Weasley and his dad. They can't grasp the simplest concept of living without magic. Hogwarts is completely magical too."

Severus simply stared at her.

"Okay, you're more brilliant than all the rest of 'em put together," she chuckled. "And sexier."

"An appropriate sentiment for an engaged woman," he murmured complacently.

"Nauseating, too," added Michael. "Is there anything else we can do for you, while you're away?"

Rowena interrupted them by barking at the door furiously, and Severus pointed his wand at the door, flinging it open. Kingsley Shacklebolt stood there, a cheerful smile on his handsome face.

"Severus, I'm glad you're still here," he said.

"Is something wrong?" asked Severus quickly.

"No, nothing like that," he replied, marching in and joining them at the table. "But I know you're trying to get details about the attack on the Ministry, and that could add greatly to your danger. Don't ask him, Severus. Let the Ministry take care of itself."

"Why?" Severus asked. "I know well that Dumbledore had no faith in politicians. Bellatrix Lestrange is a raging psychopath, utterly unpredictable, and the Dark Lord is assisting in her plan. Do you believe your colleagues will be ready?"

"As much as anyone can be," replied Kingsley sternly. "The Ministry is important, but Hogwarts is irreplaceable. Protect it, Severus, and don't worry about the rest."

Severus nodded his reluctant agreement.

"Besides," added Kingsley pleasantly, "If you're killed asking Voldemort for unnecessary information, you'll be no good to Hogwarts and break this pretty lady's heart. Don't take any more risks than you have to."

They all stared at him then, shocked by his frankness. Typically, Michael recovered first.

"Have you taken over running this operation?" he asked. "How does Minerva feel about this?"

"I spoke with her last night. She knows Molly won't be happy, but when the going gets tough, Rufus Scrimgeour will fight hard." He turned to Severus. "You probably want some time alone with your lady before you go, and I want to chat a bit with Michael."

The two men rose and went outside, with Rowena following curiously. Severus watched them intently until the door closed behind them. He turned to Zelda, who had watched Kingsley in silence.

"Well?" he asked, holding out his hand to her.

"D' you have ten minutes?" she asked wistfully.

"For you, I have eleven," he said ironically. "Come and sit down."

He held her in his lap, and no words were spoken. He simply wanted to feel the warmth of her in his arms for a little longer. Finally she stirred and kissed him tenderly.

"It's time," she whispered, putting her nose against his and looking into his black eyes.

"I know," he replied. He relaxed his hold on her and they stood up. He embraced her again before they walked outside.

He put on his leather jacket, then his cloak, and became once again a mysterious, cloaked stranger. Michael and Kingsley went to stand near Zelda, and Rowena sat obediently by her side. She would not be unprotected, he told himself, and with a quick nod, he was gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story