Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Fallen from Grace

chapter 1

by junkojunko 0 reviews

a piece of Kaoru's past comes back to hanut her. will the others be able to cope with the realization of Kaoru's tainted past?

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Kaoru - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2005-05-09 - Updated: 2007-08-12 - 796 words

-1OOC

Fallen from Grace

Kamiya Kaoru walked along the banks of the river, which flowed through the streets of her hometown; this young woman was the heir of the Kamiya Kashin Ryu style, a legacy left behind by her father. A sword that protects. One that does not kill. It was a good dream, a great vision but alas that is how it's meant to be, a vision, an impossible dream.

Admiring the ripples she caused on the calm surface on the river, she felt a familiar person approach her. Dressed in a farmer's attire, this man eluded the grace of a ninja and a deep commanding aura.

"Good afternoon, Kaoru-Chan. Wonderful day, isn't it?" he greeted.

Kaoru smiled bitterly. "I'm surprised you have the mood to admire that scenery. You were never a bringer of good news. Aren't I right, Happosai?"

"You were always a direct one," chuckled Happosai. "Your services as a geisha are required again at the House of hundred flowers."
"I refuse. I left that profession years ago," said Kaoru in a voice that quivered with anger.
"If you don't, many people will die."
"I don't care, the world should learn how to take care of itself. I don't want to earn such dirty money again."
"If you don't, I'll tell Battousai of your previous escapades. I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that his woman was a geisha," said Happosai without blinking an eye.
Kaoru froze in a spot. "That's low even for you," accused Kaoru.
"Desperate times call for desperate measures. Believe me. I'm not happy to have call you back." Happosai admitted sincerely.
Kaoru looked deep into his eyes and realized that he was telling the truth. "Alright," she consented. "I'll leave first thing tomorrow."
The ripples expanded and spread to the other end of the bank. Something was spreading through Japan like a plague just as the ripple did in the river.
That's how she ended up to on a boat to Kyoto, miserable and alone. She had convinced the others that she was actually going to Yokohama instead because a friend of her had invited her for a holiday.
They were disappointed that could not tag along but nevertheless did not suspect a thing.
At the same time, Saitou was informing Kenshin about the turbulence in Kyoto. Kenshin thought about the absence of Kaoru. Her absence was a huge load off his mind. Since there was no need worry about her safety as well as her concerns, he took it up.
They set off on that day itself to Kyoto.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaoru arrived at the harbor and hailed a horse carriage. She had been here before and the last thing she needed was someone to recognize her and inform Misao. She was too afraid to think about what might happen if that happened.
The kind driver loaded her case and inquired about her destination.
"The Sakura teahouse please," Kaoru replied.
The driver's cheery face grew grim. "I don't that's a place you should be going Miss. That's not place for innocent girls like you."
Kaoru smiled and replied. "I have no other choice."
The driver grunted his dissatisfaction but proceed.
His worries were not unfounded. The House of hundred flowers was the most notorious brothel in Kyoto. It looked like all the other teahouses on the outside but the locals commonly knew it as a whorehouse. Rich merchants who knew Kyoto well enough frequented there as it had the most beautiful and experienced prostitutes around.
Kaoru was wearing a simple plain blue kimono to avoid attention thus looked like a perfect picture of sweet innocence. No wonder the driver warned her against it.
Kaoru stared out of the carriage sadly. Something bad must have really happened for Happosai to threat her to return. He knew more than anyone how she hated her past and craved for a simple life.
As the carriage pulled in to the House of hundred flowers, waves of dread washed over Kaoru. It looked exactly as she remembered, plain yet elegant. Waking through the wooden doors made her realize how much she actually hated this reminder of her shameful past.
The owner as well as head geisha, Madame Butterfly, greeted her at the entrance. She had been in the business as long as Kaoru knew, rising through the ranks with ridiculous ease. Kaoru was in awe of both her ravishing beauty as well as cunning wit. Age was kind to her with only a few streaks of white at forty.
"Nice to see you back my little raven, we have many tasks for you ahead," she welcomed.
"Hai. Mistress," whispered Kaoru as she obediently followed.
Sign up to rate and review this story