Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH29 - Apparition And Animagus Transformation

by GuardianOfLight 4 reviews

Harry learns a bit of everyday magic and the prospect of interesting times to come.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Fleur, Harry - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2006-11-19 - Updated: 2006-11-19 - 1835 words

5Original
Chapter 29 - Apparition And Animagus Transformation

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: 4th August 2001 AD
Country: France - The French Riviera - Marseeleveyre Mountains
Location: Chateau Delacour
Time: Morning


Two normal days later Fleur and Harry are having their day off, they had decided it might be nice to try to learn some fun and useful magic rather than just useful.

They were standing in the middle of a requirements room set up as a normal training room, except this time it had a few chairs and seats as well as a couple of coloured circles drawn on the floor.

Harry and Fleur were standing side by side in front of a pair of circles while Delphine (who had joined them for this repeat) sat in a nearby chair.

"Are you ready Harry?" she asked.

"Yes....I think so." he said uncertainly.

Delphine smiled and chuckled lightly "Maybe you should watch Fleur do it once more before you try."

"Yes, I think that would be a good idea." he smiled weakly.

Fleur smiled before standing straight and Disapparating with a pop, only to reappear a fraction of a second later in the circle.

"See Arry, its easy."

"So you keep saying." he replied uncertainly as she reappeared next to him.

"Just remember Harry, you need to concentrate on the circle," reminded Delphine "Imagine yourself standing there and then push your magic into that thought, you don't have to worry about reappearing in China or something similar as the wards prevent anyone from Apparating or Disapparating into or out of the Chateau, but you can still Apparate between places in this room."

"Come on Arry, you can do it." smiled Fleur.

He gulped before turning towards the circle and closing his eyes. He imagined himself standing in the circle, imagined seeing the room from that position, seeing the ladies from there, focusing on the image he tried to focus as much of his magic as possible on his goal.

He felt a pull begin to exert itself on his body, he felt like he was being pulled, compressed, squeezed into a space far too small for his body, just as he though he would burst he felt a jerk as he over balanced and fell on his back with a thud.

As he muttered his annoyance at his own stupidity he heard clapping from the other end of the room.

"Well done Arry." cried Fleur before he felt her arms wrap around him "You did it."

"I did?" he asked.

"You did." replied Delphine as she came around in front of him, smiling.

"First time." agreed Fleur happily, as she stood and extended a hand towards him.

"Wasn't very pleasAAAHHH" Harry cried as he began to get up only to find that he couldn't lift his feet, sending him tumbling back to the ground and pulling Fleur down on top of him.

"Sorry." he groaned up at Fleur.

"Don't worry." she chuckled, getting back up.

Looking at his feet Harry discovered that he had splinched the bottom half centimetre of each of his shoes with the floor.

"Well, maybe I didn't do it after all." sighed Harry as he started undoing his laces.

"You still did better than most," smiled Fleur before looking to the floor "On my first attempt I splinched half the length of my hair off."

"I thought it looked rather nice." smiled Delphine, before drawing her wand and pointed them at Harry's now empty shoes "What happened just now was that you imagined yourself at your actual height rather than your height when you include shoes, this time Harry try to imagine yourself as being a centimetre or two taller, that way you will not splinch your shoes."

Harry nodded as he picked up his now unsplinched shoes and put them back on.

Turning around he looked at the other circle.

He again imagined himself standing in the circle, seeing the room from that position, though a little bit higher than before, he pushed all his focus into the image forcing his magic on his target.

He felt a pull again, the compression, the tightness, seconds before he would have burst he felt the jerk and a drop as he landed on the floor.

He heard anther hand clap from behind him as Fleur hugged him again.

"Well done Arry, that was a lot better."

"Agreed," smiled Delphine "Most people would have splinched themselves again, you seem to possess a particular talent for controlling your magic."

"I appeared in the air." Harry stated.

"Yes but the fact that you were able to will make yourself Apparate higher that easily shows a particular talent for magical control, did it feel easier this time?"

"Yes, it did, I didn't feel like I was getting squeezed as much."

"I thought so," nodded Delphine "The Disapparation pop wasn't so loud this time."

"Just out of interest," he began "What actually causes the pop?"

"When you Disapparate the air moves quickly to fill the gap causing the popping sound." explained Delphine "More skilled wizards can Apparate with less of a pop as they find it easier to push themselves into the new position."

"I'm not sure I understand?" commented Harry.

"It's like....its like the difference between forcing a door open with your shoulder and simply opening it using the handle. Most people have to force all their magic into the move and simply stumble through by sure force, while more competent wizards can pass through smoothly, making the move a fraction of a second more gradual therefore giving the air a chance to fill the space more smoothly."

"Doesn't that mean it would take longer to Apparate though?"

"Not really, the difference is unnoticeable but it simply means that if we were both to Apparate now, we would both arrive at the same time, but my experience with Apparating would mean I could begin to move slightly earlier, not to mention quieter, though judging from how well you did this time, only slightly."

Harry nodded his understanding

"Again?" he asked.

"Again." replied the women.
________________________________________________________________________

One hour later Harry had become quiet proficient at Apparating, the women had taken to testing him by making flashes of light appear on the floor randomly and seeing how fast Harry could move between them. He had got to the level now that he could Apparate across the breadth of the room with only a slight pop.

After an hour and a half, Harry literally collapsed to the floor from exhaustion; Apparation was draining if done frequently or over large distances and he must have Apparated dozens and dozens of times, possibly more and he was completely shattered.

"Enough....no more....I'm knackered." He panted rolling onto his back; he had just hit a personnel best of twenty two Apparation's a minute.

"Well done Arry." smiled Fleur as she moved to his side and turned him over so that his head was resting in her lap "You did wonderfully."

"Indeed." smiled Delphine coming into view in front of him "I think you need to do something more fun."

"Fun....I'll be amazed if I can even get up." he panted.

Delphine smiled before withdrawing a potions tube from her robe.

"Here, Pepper-Up Potion, that should get you back on your feet, and trust me, you will want to be on your feet for what I have planned."

"What?" he asked after downing the liquid in one gulp.

"You will see." she smiled extending a hand and helping him to his feet while they waited for the potion to take affect.

Drawing her wand she began to chant in Latin, waving her wand around him before pointing off to the side as a silver ghostly image emerged from her wand.

It wound together to form a coherent picture.

A pair of hind legs, front legs, small tail, long hairy neck, pointed face and a pair of large antlers.

"A stag?" he asked confused.

"Harry, may I present to you, your Animagus form."

Harry looked at her then back to the image.

"Really, I'm a stag to."

"To?" asked Delphine.

"Arry's dad had a stag Animagus form." explained Fleur.

"I don't remember seeing his name on the register."

"He was an illegal Animagus, as was Sirius and Peter Pettigrew, they learned so they could stay with Remus during his change."

Delphine nodded at the explanation.

"I though you could choose what you wanted to be." said Harry as he walked around the image.

"You can but everyone has a latent form that would be easiest to transform into," explained Delphine "Most wizards have trouble becoming Animagus as it is a lot harder to become a creature that you are not attuned to, that spell I used is not very well known, which is why more people don't try."

"It doesn't look the same as my dads though," commented Harry "The antlers and body look different."

"He was probably a different species of deer; you appear to be a large red deer stag."

"Very impressive." smiled Fleur as she walked around to the other side of the image.

"What's you form?" asked Harry out of curiosity.

She looked up at him and smiled.

"I don't have one."

"But I thought everyone had a...."

"Not Veela Arry." interrupted Fleur "You can only have one alternative form and as a Veela I already have one....I am part bird, all Veela are part bird we don't get the choice as you do."

Harry felt the need to comfort her, even though she didn't seem upset by this limitation set by her lineage

He gave her a comforting hug as Delphine carried on where Fleur had left off.

"As natural shape shifters ourselves Harry, we can help you learn to become an Animagus significantly faster than ay wizard could, especially as you are trying to become your natural form, I predict you should be able to fully transform and hold the transformation in a matter of weeks."

Harry's eyes bulged as she said this, it had taken the Marauders years to learn how to transform, and the prospect of possibly being able to by the time he returned to school was overwhelming.

He could imagine Ron and Hermione's faces when he would transform for them for the first time. Ron would probably say something along the lines of 'Bloody hell', while Hermione would bombard him with questions, one of which was bound to be 'are you registered'.

As the thought came to mind Harry turned to ask the question.

"Is there any way I could register without letting people know?"

Delphine sent a smile at him before answering.

"The law states that Animagus have to be registered with the Ministry, it doesn't say which one though?"

Harry grinned, some Wizarding laws were so full of holes you could fly a broom through them.

"How do I begin?"


AUTHORS NOTE: The first 28 chapters have been rewritten so you may want to re-read them, some of the changes are small others are fairly big. Enjoy
Sign up to rate and review this story