Categories > Original > Romance > Cedar Door

Newspaper at The Cedar Door

by Tamurai 0 reviews

Time to meet some new people and an intersting newspaper that could lead to a very fortunate meeting.

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2006-11-19 - Updated: 2006-11-19 - 987 words

0Unrated
Yay! Here we are again. It's great to see you guys again figuretivaly(?) speaking of course. I hope you guys have enjoyed reading my story as much as I have loved writing it (and I LOVE writing). Anyway, here's the good news. This chapter isn't as angsty as the rest. YAY! (Jumps up with joy!) Hope you guys enjoy it!


Jesse unlocked the door and sat down at the wooden table in the middle of the room, quickly laying his head down. He let out a long sigh. It had been a long night with only a few costumers. The bar had to do something quick or else they were going to go out go business.

There was a creak on the stairs. Jesse looked up to see his younger sister standing on the bottom of the stairs. He frowned.

"What are you doing up?" He asked in annoyance. "You have school tomorrow."

Jesse's sister sat down at the table with him.

"It's already six in the morning and since I need to be at school at eight and it takes an hour to get down there, I have to be up now." His sister replied. "You know, you need to hire some one to help you maintain the bar. You can't do it all by yourself now."

"We don't have the money to hire another worker." Jesse said bluntly.

"Then hire a friend. Josh will be glad to help us."

"I'm not going to hire a friend Megan!" Jesse shouted. "We can't afford to even hire some one at that price."

"Josh will do it for free-"

"Damn it Megan, will you listen to me." Jesse cut Megan off. "You don't know Josh like I do. Sure he's our closest friend and will say he'll work for free but really, in a few months time, he'll start to charge us double what a normal worker would be paid. And if we don't pay him double, he'll sue for slavery, which he would win because it would be the truth. And we can't afford that. You know that Megan."

Megan sat there in silence staring at her brother. He had really changed since his wife Caroline had died. It didn't help that a few months later their mom died and Megan had to move from Portland, Oregan to New York, New York.

"It really sucks doesn't it?" said Megan quietly.

"What sucks?" asked Jesse.
"That they're dead."

Jesse looked up at his sister and glared. "What made you bring that up?"

"I' sorry. I wasn't thinking-"

"Damn right you weren't thinking." Snapped Jesse. Jesse got up and walked up the stairs. "Get ready for school or you're going to miss the bus."

Megan stared at the staircase.

Jesse never used to have this temper. He used to be really nice. But then when Caroline got sick, he got mean like this. Jesse had really loved his wife. It was a shame she had to die. Caroline was a nice person, too.

Megan got up and put a bagel in the toaster while she went out to fetch the paper. As she came back in, she looked at the bar. The bar and the house were connected as one; the bar on the bottom, house on the top. It reminded her of a home in Spain or Japan.

She went through the door that led to the house, put the paper on the table, grabbed her now toasted bagel, and began to read the paper.

Man shot in front of Courthouse

AIDS epidemic

Bird Flu outburst

Famous fiction novelist Stephin Parker doing book signing

Horse race fraud

What a second got back. Famous fiction novelist Stephin Parker doing book signing. Stephin Parker was only like her favorite author. Megan quickly skimmed the article. He would be out B&P Bookstore downtown from 7:00 a.m.- 7:00 p.m. this Saturday.


"Jesse. Oh my God Jesse!" Megan ran up the stairs. "Jesse where are you?" Megan ran into his room. She didn't see him. He must be in the bathroom. "Jesse!" She heard the shower running. Megan barged into the bathroom with the newspaper in hand. "Oh my God Jesse!"

Jesse popped his head out from the curtain. "What the hell are you doing in here Megan? I'm taking a shower."
"Jesse, Stephin Parker is doing a book signing at B&P Bookstore downtown from 7:00 to 7:00. Can we go please Jesse?"

"Who the hell is Stephin Parker?" asked Jesse who was getting angrier by the minute because his precious shower time was dwindling away.

"He's only my favorite author. He writes fiction books that are really good. He's like the best in America. He is so awesome. Can we go please?"

"Megan, Saturday is our busiest day. We can't spend all day downtown. I need to be working here." Replied Jesse to his anxious sister.

Megan's eyes filled with disappointment. "Oh. So I mean that much to you. I mean, I moved to New York six months ago, I have no friends, don't know the area, and on top of that my mom's dead." Jesse's eyes began to glare. She didn't have a right talking about hard times. "And I can't even to this. Please Jesse. Just this one favor that's all I'm asking."

Jesse sighed. "Fine, but extra early. We're going to get there at 7:00, you understand?"

Megan began to jump up and down. "Oh thank you Jesse, thank you."

"Now get out. I wasted enough water as it is." Jesse shooed his little sister away.

Megan ran out of the bathroom and finished getting ready for school. As she sat on the bus, all she could think about was Stephin Parker. She would be meeting him on Saturday.

All of a sudden an idea struck her. Yes, the perfect way to get people to come into the bar. Megan smiled to herself all day as she concocted her plan.
Sign up to rate and review this story