Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Mother and Daughter

by Zillian 2 reviews

Azula reflects on her Mother and herself.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-23 - Updated: 2006-11-24 - 550 words - Complete

3Insightful
Mother and Daughter

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

That is the way it has always been. Since I first started Fire-Bending. Since forever it seems. My Father exposed me to the power and harsh victory of the burning flame on your breath, winning over the failure of your opponents. Mother protected him until he was a spineless coward, afraid to fight and unable to win. I used to be jealous. I know better now.

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

I respect my Father. Love is for the weak, he taught me that the hard way. But I used to wish that maybe, just maybe, Mother would shelter me like that. That Mother would hold me like that until I felt safe. But Zuko was her favorite; she loved him for his failure. The more he lost the more she loved him. She hated me for winning. Only Father could see my true potential.

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

She used to try. She used to try to hug me and protect me. But I couldn't Father was watching or I was late to practice, or something stopped her. Then she just stopped. She should have tried harder. She kept fighting for Zuko but she stopped fighting for me. I was the other child. I was someone to discipline and be kind to, but not a daughter.

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

I began studying harder. I was the best. I was faster and stronger then any of them. My friends knew it, Zuko knew it, and she knew it. I had my Fathers will.

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

I remember when she left. I didn't cry. I just watched from my room as she walked on by me. Ignoring me. Forgetting me. I will never forget the way she looked that night. Scared and strong all at once like an angel with no wings. It seemed like she had aged almost, in a matter of seconds She took up the entire hallway with her doomed presence. She would do anything for the child she loved. She would do nothing for me.

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

"I'll miss you." I whispered. She heard me. I know she heard me. But she just kept walking. Maybe if she had stopped, things would be different. But when she looked at me, she only saw Father in my eyes. Just as when Father looks at Zuko, she's all he sees.

I am my Father's daughter.

He is his Mother's son.

I think that's when I first started hating him. Before that he was just Zuko. I annoyed him and he pestered me. But at the end of the day he was my brother. I cared about him. Family used to matter. Now, I can't wait to get my hands into him. Delivering him to father. It would be my honor. With Mother gone, he no longer has any. He has no protection and no safety. And when he is gone I shall win.

I will be my Father's daughter.

I will be my Mother's daughter.

There will be no other choice left.
Sign up to rate and review this story