Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > The Twin Greys

Discovery

by slickboy444 0 reviews

A new mutant arises in New York that reveals a secret about Jean Grey and her family that will change her life forever. And it all centers around a familiar looking girl named Madelyn Pryor.

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Cyclops, Jean, Magneto, Mystique, Professor Xavier, Other - Published: 2006-11-18 - Updated: 2006-11-18 - 3207 words

0Unrated
The Twin Greys
Chapter 1: Discovery


**************************************************

AN: I got this idea from the comics. X-men Evolution did a lot of things good, but it never brought in Madelyn Pryor. This is just my way of making up for that in my own creative way. Hope you like it.

Summery: A new mutant arises in New York that reveals a secret about Jean Grey and her family that will change her life forever. And it all centers around a familiar looking girl named Madelyn Pryor.

Pairings: Scott/Jean, Madelyn/Paul.

'These mean character thoughts or psychic communication.'

Disclaimer: I don't own X-men. Marvel does. So please don't sue.

I hope you all enjoy this fic! And don't forget to REVIEW! Send them to me via email or post them on the fanfiction website! Either way is fine! Slickboy out.

**************************************************

For those who venture on the journey of life reality is only relative. What one perceives isn't always what's real. Through lies, deceit, or a multitude of uncontrolled forces, the world we believe is only as true as we think it is. Some can go their entire lives not knowing that they were living with a great lie. And for the lucky few who uncover the truth, life can take many interesting turns.

This is the story of one of those turns for two very unique souls.

**************************************************

On the vast campus of Boston University, life for fresh college students was going as usual. Classes had just started and fall sports were just getting warmed up. And on the soccer field where a new fleet of junior varsity potentials were practicing, training was in full swing.

"Over here! Over here!" yelled a beautiful redheaded girl as she rand down center field, her team on the offensive.

"Come on! Come on! Get with it defense!" yelled the keeper, trying to counter the coming rush.

The ladies of the girls' soccer team moved swiftly, working hard to make an impression. The pressure was on as the coaches analyzed every player, sifting the talented from the talent-less. It was a nerve racking game, but one that was necessary if they were to make the team.

"On their fourth hour, I see," commented one of the assistant coaches, "Looks like it's getting to them."

"Gotta find out who has the endurance," said the head coach, making a few marks on his clipboard, "If they can't handle the load they can't handle the team."

"Kind of a tough test for a bunch of incoming freshmen, don't you think?"

"Hey, if we're going to win state this year, then we gotta push them to their limits," said the coach in a determined tone.

On the field, the girls were breathing hard, but standing firm. One side was wearing yellow jerseys, the other was wearing black. This was an intense moment and only those who saw it through would make the team. And for the offense, that meant showing the coach that they could get the job done.

"Hurry up!" yelled the redhead, "They're closing! Pass it already!"

The adrenaline was flowing and the pressure was on. Everybody was breathing hard. They knew this was it. This was the moment of truth.

Suddenly, the redhead began feeling a strange throb in her head. It was as if someone was pounding on it with a hammer.

'Ugh! No...not now! Not here!' she grunted, struggling to keep her balance.

Suddenly, she began hearing voices. They came from all directions, some of which she recognized as friends and others which she never heard before. She tried to push them out, but there were too many of them. It was overwhelming her system.

'Shut up! Shut up!' she grunted, grasping her head.

"Hey, are you okay?" asked one of the opposing girls.

Shaking it off, the redhead pushed her to the side and ran towards the goal, ignoring the throb in her head. On the corner, the girl with the ball saw this frantic movement and just before she was double teamed, she kicked the ball high into the air.

"I got it! I got it!" said the keeper as she rushed to grab it.

But her hustle wasn't enough as the redhead saw her chance, jumped into the air, and directed the ball right past the keeper with her head. And with the pain and voices still going strong, this didn't help her situation.

However, the dazzling goal momentarily overshadowed the feeling in her head.

"Yes! Alright! Way to go, girl!" yelled one of the redhead's teammates as they rushed her.

"Yeah! Great shot! If that doesn't impress the coach, then nothing will!"

The coach smiled at the crowd of girls approvingly, eyeing the redhead who had scored the goal.

"Not bad," he said with a smile, "Who is that girl?"

"The redhead?" said the assistant coach, "Hold on, let me see."

But on the field, the celebration began to take a turn as the smile on the redhead's face faded and the pain in her head came back with a vengeance. This time, it was more intense than ever before.

"Ugh..." she groaned, her vision becoming blurred as the pounding in her head grew too great to bear.

"Hey? You okay?" asked one of her friends.

Her breathing became ragged. Her face contorted with pain. The celebrating stopped as the girls gave their friend some room.

Suddenly, she fell to the ground clutching her head, unable to stop the torment from within.

"Make it stop! Make it stop!" she cried.

The wind kicked up around her. The ball inside the goal then came to life and was flung out towards the crowd by an unseen force. The girls took another step back, not sure of what was going on as the redhead fell to the ground.

"Back up! Back up! Give her some room!" yelled the coach as he rushed out onto the field with a sports medic following close behind.

Everybody stood worried as they watched the hapless redhead slip away. Her face grew pale and her body fell limp, but she could still hear the voices. It was too much for her mind to bear.

"Miss? Miss, can you hear me?" said the coach, holding her head up, "Do any of you know this girl?! Anybody?!"

Not sure of what was going on, one girl did come forward and knelt with the coach beside the redhead. Her eyes were drooping and she was on the verge of blacking out. But before everything went dark, she heard the girl speak her name.

"Her name is Madelyn...Madelyn Pryor."

**************************************************

After her unexpected collapse, the redhead known as Madelyn was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was treated for a seizure. Her parents were also informed and they came rushing to their daughter's side within a few hours.

The coach told them what had happened, yet remained unsure of what to make of this. It all happened so fast and this girl, Madelyn, was at the center of it all.

"I'm sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Pryor," said the coach remorsefully as he stood by Madelyn's bed with her parents, "I wish there was something I could do, but..."

"It's okay, Coach," sighed Mr. Pryor, a neatly dressed man of wealthy origins, "It wasn't your fault."

Sighing in relief, the coach looked back at the unconscious redhead, not knowing what to make of all this.

"I just wish I knew what triggered this," he pondered, "By all accounts she's a healthy 19 year old girl."

"Believe it or not, this isn't the first time something like this has happened," said Mrs. Pryor in a low tone.

"What do you mean?" asked the coach curiously.

Taking a deep breath, Mrs. Pryor explained.

"Ever since High School, Madelyn has been struggling with a seizure disorder. At first we thought they were just migraines, but they kept getting worse as time went on."

"I see," said the coach, casting the redhead a sympathetic daze, "I'm sorry to hear that."

"It's okay," said Mr. Pryor, "We've done what we can for her. She's been hospitalized before and it's always passed. But it's never been this bad."

"Well I'm sure Maddie will be okay," assured the coach, "I just hope it's nothing serious. My team sure could use a player like her this coming season."

"Thank you," said Mrs. Pryor with a smile, "I'll be sure to tell her that when she wakes up."

Smiling back, the coach made his leave, giving them some needed family time.

But as he passed the front desk, a mysterious figure wearing a brown suit entered the lobby. Going straight to the front desk, he approached the nurse with an urgent look on his face. And if his demeanor was any clue, he wasn't there for visiting hours.

"Excuse me, is this where a Miss Madelyn Pryor is being held?" he asked in a deep tone.

"Uh...Pryor, you say?" said the nurse anxiously.

"Yes, and please, it's urgent. I have to speak with her and her family on a very important matter."

**************************************************

Later that evening in the upper class quarters of Connecticut, Professor John Grey returned home after another long day of teaching. His wife Elaine and older daughter Sara were there to greet him and judging from the smells of the kitchen, a big dinner was in the works.

"Elaine, I'm home!" he called, setting his coat aside, "Sorry I'm late. I got held up again at the university."

"Well you're lucky it wasn't for too long," called Elaine as she took out a roast from the oven, "Sara has to get back soon, so we better eat this fast."

"Smells good, honey," he said as he made his way upstairs, "I'll be down in a sec. Just let me change."

In the kitchen, dinner was just about ready. Elaine Grey had everything set and Sara was helping her. With two grown kids, it was rare that they got to eat as a family. Even if their youngest wasn't present, it was still nice to sit down together as they used to.

"Where do you need these, mom?" asked Sara, holding a pan of green peas.

"Just get a hot plate and set them on the table," she said, putting the roast atop the stove, "I'll be right there, just let me..."

Suddenly, she was cut off by a knock at the door.

"Hold on," she said in an exasperated tone, "I'll get it."

Making her way to the front door, Elaine let her oldest daughter take care of the rest. John would be down any minute, so she hoped to make this quick. But as she opened the door, she was met with a tall, middle aged stranger. There was an ominous aura to him, but Elaine shook it off and greeted him.

"Yes? Can I help you?" she said casually.

"Is this the Grey residents?" said the man dressed in a brown suit with a deep voice.

"Um...yes, it is. Who are you?" asked Elaine a bit anxiously.

"My name is detective Stanly Claremont. I am a private investigator. And I need to speak with you and your family. It's urgent."

"Urgent?" said Elaine, an ominous feeling of dread coming over her, "What do you mean?"

Detective Claremont was silent for a moment. Letting out a deep sigh, it was clear that what he had to say would be difficult. And having already endured the shock of having a mutant daughter, Elaine Grey knew the signs.

"Mrs. Grey, I think you better sit down for this one. You may not like everything you're about to hear."

**************************************************

At the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters, things were fairly quiet. Well, at least as quiet as things could get for a school of mutants.

Fall had just started and classes were in session. And after the events surrounding Apocalypse, there was plenty to talk about. Mutants were still a touchy subject, growing increasingly controversial with each passing day. And for the students who still attended Bayville High, it was tough going.

But for Scott Summers and Jean Grey, High School was the last thing on their minds. They had graduated last year and had just started college at NYU. Jean was studying to be a doctor and Scott was studying to be a teacher. They still lived at the institute most of the time, but dividing their duties as X-men and college students was stressful to say the least.

Nevertheless, they made it work and times were good for them. Over the course of their senior year, the relationship between the long time friends blossomed and to date they shared a strong romance. And after Apocalypse, it grew even more serious. Because after nearly losing each other, they didn't want to waste any more time together.

"Ah, at last a quiet institute," proclaimed Scott as he and Jean walked hand in hand down the hall after finishing the dishes.

"I'll say. It almost feels strange. But I'm not complaining. I never thought I'd live to see the day when you took a break from the danger room," said Jean in agreement, clinging to her boyfriend's arm.

"Honestly...me neither."

Flashing his girlfriend a warm smile, he pulled her in close as they descended the stairs into the foyer.

"So what do you want to do with this rare opportunity?" asked Jean, "The danger room session for the New Mutants isn't over until eight."

"Well if Remy hasn't parked himself on the couch already, I was thinking we could kick back and watch a few movies," suggested Scott.

"Mmm...sounds good to me," smiled Jean, "And I think Remy is racing Logan in his bike again, so we're okay there."

"Again?" muttered Scott, "Man, I still can't believe the Professor let him join after everything he's done."

"Oh give it a rest already, Scott. Gambit's alright. Besides, he seems to make Rogue happy. And he and Piotr have really come around since they joined."

"I know. I know," sighed Scott, "But still...

"No buts, Scott," said Jean, stopping their stride and pulling him into an embrace, "We've got a quiet house and an empty living. And you're going to enjoy it even if I have to hogtie you."

A smile formed on Scott's face. Despite his reputation for being a stiff, Jean always had a way of getting him to lighten up. She helped balance him out. She gave him something to hold onto. It was one of the many reasons he had fallen so deeply in love with this girl.

"In that case, let's get comfortable, shall we?" said Scott, showing off his husky side.

"Always the sweet talker," grinned Jean.

"Isn't that part of what you like about me?"

"No, it's part of what I love about you."

"Hmm...even better."

Their lips were drifting closer, their passion for one another overtaking them once more. But before they could share their kiss, the phone interrupted them and jolted them from their moment.

"Damn, of all the..." cursed Scott.

"I'll get it," said Jean in an exasperated tone, "Just give me a minute and I promise you we'll finish."

Taking her word for it, Scott waited as Jean picked up the phone.

"Xavier Institute. This is Jean Grey. How may I..."

But before she could finish the standard greeting for the institute, Jean stopped as she heard an ominous sound on the other end. The look on her face quickly shifted as she recognized what she was hearing. And being psychic, she had a very bad feeling about this.

"Mom?" she said, quickly grabbing Scott's attention, "Mom, what's wrong? What's going..."

Over the line, the words of a distraught mother poured through. And the more Jean heard, the more it tore at her heart. She knew her family was never one to get so worked up. After having a mutant daughter, few things could have shaken them so. But this was serious. This was unlike anything they had ever dealt with before.

The look on Jean's face grew increasingly distraught. Scott could feel the anxiety pouring off her through the psychic link they shared. He didn't know what was being said on the other line, but he could tell it was big.

"Mom...please just...I know, but...just tell me! Tell me what..." but then, Jean stopped as she took in one last message from her mother, "Okay. Okay, I'll be there. See you soon. Bye."

Hanging up the phone, the look on Jean's face grew solemn. Scott could sense it and placed a hand on her shoulder, hoping to comfort her in whatever way he could. But still, he was deeply curious. Jean was a tough woman. She looked Apocalypse right in the face. And if something got her this worked up, it had to be truly devastating.

"Jean? Jean, what's wrong?" said Scott, his tone thick with worry.

Jean swallowed the lump in her throat she pulled her boyfriend into a warm embrace, resting her head on his shoulder as she fought to hold back her sobs.

"I need to go home," she choked out.

"Home? But..."

"Something's wrong!" she exclaimed, "I have to see them! Please, don't ask because I really don't know!"

"Okay, okay," said Scott, gently hugging her to help calm her down, "It'll be alright, Jean. I'll take you right now. And I'll be there with you every step of the way."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

Looking up at her boyfriend's sincere expression, Jean felt a renewed calm. Her mother had been too choked up to speak, but she knew something had happened. She just didn't know what. And something told her that she was in for some life changing news.

"Come on, let's go," said Scott, taking her hand, "We'll leave right now. I'll drive."

Without another word, the young couple made their way to the garage and into Scott's red convertible. And with little delay, they drove out of the mansion, not knowing the revelations that lay just ahead.

**************************************************

Back in the hospital, Madelyn Pryor was improving, but her head was still bothering her. She didn't know why it wasn't going away this time. She had taken plenty of pain killers. But it kept on raging, the voices growing increasingly incessant.

"Ugh...what's happening to me?" she groaned.

Suddenly, the door opened and her parents stepped in.

"Mom? Dad?" she said, noticing a strange change in their demeanor.

Neither of them said anything. After that meeting with the man in the brown suit earlier that day, they hadn't been around. The young redhead didn't think too much of it, but something was clearly bothering her family. And it did little to ease her lingering anxieties.

"Are you guys okay? Are we good to go?" she asked anxiously.

The old couple exchanged glances. They looked very conflicted, further adding to Madelyn's curiosity. She thought the doctors gave her a clean bill. Except for pain killers, what more was there? Was something else wrong with her?

"Mom..." she began again, getting scared.

"Sweetie," said Mrs. Pryor, taking the young woman's hand and holding it firmly in hers, "There's something we have to tell you."

**************************************************

MORE SECRETS TO COME! DON'T FORGET TO REVIEW!
Sign up to rate and review this story