Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Space Pirates

The Safe Spot

by water_dragon 0 reviews

the safe spot and have you noticed sometimes i suck at summaries?

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-25 - Updated: 2006-11-26 - 858 words

0Unrated
The Marcella silently hovered over the giant bubble; nothing could be seen through it except for a hazy turquoise colour. Inside the ship everyone was gathered in the cock-pit, eagerly awaiting the sight of an area on Earth. "How do we get through?" Maria asked, "Cuz' I don't see no entry point."
"Can't we just fly through?" Paul asked. Brooke shook her head.
"The bubble is designed to keep all harmful gases out, it only allow oxygen through, we're in a metal ship, the bubbles computer would identify us as harmful and prevent entry. I'll need to go out there."
She turned to look at Al," Are there any gasmasks in here?" He nodded and pointed. Brooke slipped through the doorway and passed through the airlock. The crew of the Marcella watched through the main windscreen as she perched on the bubble and pulled a tool out of her pocket.
"Hey! That's my screwdriver," complained Phil. Brooke opened a small panel on the bubble and adjusted a few wires.
The bubble shimmered slightly in one area, just big enough for the space vehicle to get through. But it was getting stronger. "Hold onto your hats boys," grunted Maria, manipulating the controls, "This could be close fit." Everyone grabbed onto the closest stable thing they could find as Maria flipped the Marcella sideways and they shot through the weak spot. There was a light 'thud' and the roof as they cleared the bubble's outer shell.
A slightly more transparent bubble was situated approximately two metres below them. Brooke slid off the roof onto the next bubble and flipped open another panel. This time the section of the bubble that was weakened disappeared completely and they fell through, not expecting the strength of the gravity, inside the bubble it had been almost non-existent.
Maria settled the ship down on a white-sanded beach and Brooke swung herself back through the airlock to return the gasmask as the rest of the crew disembarked onto the beach. They all looked around in wonder, Earth had been beautiful in the paintings and pictures but this was beyond beautiful. An artificial sky was projected against the bubble's roof.
"When Earth was inhabited this place was called Amatique Bay, over there," she gestured "a banana plantation still grows, and that way is a place called the Siete Altares, or Seven Altars in Old Spanish. Hidden in the Siete Altares is a weapon, I don't know what it is; no one does, but an escaped prisoner guards that place and the weapon, waiting for someone to find him and free him from the bondage his escape trapped him in."
Paul snorted, "myths, legends, it's just a story." Brooke swung a cold gaze onto him.
"Are you willing to enter the prisoner's lair then?" Paul snorted again and strode over the edge of the rainforest, followed by the crew. Brooke stayed where she was and watched as he strode boldly through the trees. Al moved to follow him and she spoke; "don't." The captain stopped and waited. There was a yell and Paul was tossed bodily by and invisible force halfway down the beach to land at Brooke's feet.
Brooke lightly stepped over him and walked to the edge of the tree line. "Let's test a theory then shall we?" And she walked strongly into the forest. Nothing happened, she wasn't thrown out again, and she was given free passage right through. She strolled back, swiping a banana on her way. Suddenly a figure leaped out of the bushes and grabbed her around the mouth, bringing her to the ground.
Brooke sat up and dusted herself off without looking at her assailant. "Really Maria, it's only me, don't be so edgy." Maria scowled at her.
"Are you going to tell me how a dozen government army agents found us and got through the force-field?"
"Didn't I tell you they picked up every ship that enters the atmosphere?"
Maria nearly throttled her, "you did nothing of the sort!"
"Oops," Brooke said lightly, Maria swore.
There was a commotion involving yelling and crashing through the underbrush. Maria darted back into her make-shift shelter. Brooke frowned at some dirt she's found underneath her nails. "Don't be so flighty Maria it's only Al." And Al made his entrance by falling at her feet. Brooke suddenly sprang into action, "both of you, this way." She pulled them further into the sanctuary, Al flinched the further they went but nothing happened.
Brooke wore a satisfied smile on her face. "What's that look for?" Al demanded.
"As long as you're in the company of someone with a brand, that is, you're touching them, you can pass through the barrier."
"And so the army guys can't get through?" asked Maria.
"No."
"So once we're past the barrier we're safe?"
"Not necessarily," Brooke corrected.
"Meaning... ?" Al was suspicious.
"The escaped prisoner might not appreciate a couple of pirates in his territory." Maria slapped her forehead as they stopped.
"So what do we do?"
"We wait," Brooke answered settling herself down on the mossy ground.
------------------------------------------------------
it's getting there it's getting there! i'm still writing chapter 4, please r&r
Sign up to rate and review this story