Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > The Black Swan

Here it Starts

by gecko 1 review

Ok so everyone who has read this already,please tell me what you think of the changes, everyone who hasn't, please read! preferably review!

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [R] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-11-22 - Updated: 2006-11-22 - 1269 words

0Unrated
The black haired girl sitting in the back seat of the truck closed her eyes and thought back to a time where they didn't need to kidnap people to eat. A slight smile touched her lips. There was never such a time for her. She began to slowly murmur the story that had made her and her almost family famous. As she did the blond girl sitting beside her in the truck woke up with a start. Her "sister" rarely ever spoke around normal people. And yet here she was telling there story for the drivers and equipment manages to hear. Soon the low murmur of her sister's voice lulled her back into a slightly more restful sleep.

"It is the year 2040. Genetics was a major field in Canada before and during WW3. During the war a large number of Canadian soldiers volunteered for a strange mission. They had to infiltrate a genetics facility in the Arctic. Only 10 out of 60 returned. They refused to talk about the mission. Few people ever found out what it was they brought back and what it was that traumatized them so much. All that was known was a disk if information was found and turned over to the four major scientists of our nation. About a year later four Canadian scientists started project Black Swan, the first born children of lower class families that needed money where brought to the research lab. Zacharias, Michel, Alliana, Lasiandra, and Katriana where those children. After one year of DNA testing the scientists found that the slight changes to the basic DNA structure changed the children in ways that where never expected. The five of them became vastly different people from when the experiment had started. Zacharias became strong, very strong, fast, and gained leadership skills that where through the roof. Michel discovered speed, agility, dexterity, and a slightly compressible skeleton. Lasiandra found the gift to change her appearance at will along with an amazing gift for mechanics and strategy. Alliana and Katriana, the twin daughters of one of the families, both became as strong as Zacharias, as fast and as dexterous as Michel, and gained the gift of changing there appearance at will just like Lasiandra. Also the five of them gained the ability to read the memories of anyone they came into contact with. Though others lost the gift to read minds Alliana and Katriana retained there gift. After only six years of testing and guessing they found that the children where like a blank slate, next to no emotions, no wants, no needs other than food, water, and clothes, and they where perfectly obedient. Who could want more from a future soldier?

But there future perfect soldiers where changing. By watching the faces and hearing the voices of the people around them they where starting to gain emotions them selves. Worried about this turn in events the doctors stepped up there experimentation plan. As the great depression hit for the second time in Canada the final experiment on them began. It was the idea to fuse parts of there brains and personalities. The first attempt was the twins Katriana and Alliana. During the operation Katriana's body began to disintegrate. Instead of trying there hardest to save her however they continued with the operation. Katriana lived eight days after the procedure, she retained all her personality, memories, and all the aspects of her being. The experiment was deemed a failure and was not continued. But for days and months after her sister's death the only thing the scientists could get out of Alliana was her haunting, cracking and hysterical voice shouting,
"She died slowly and painfully because of you, you and your foolish plans. You are the reason she is dead and now you can't bring her back. My sister is dead!"
No one really knows why what happened next happened, but after Katriana's death the other four changed there names. Zacharias became Zack, Michel became Mich, Alliana became Ally, and Lasiandra became Lira. Now the slowly learned emotions made way for anger and hatred, they never spoke to any of the doctors and scientists again."

A bitter smile touched her face as her murmuring then moved on to the lesser known side of the story. By now every one with in hearing range had stopped what they where doing, with the exception of the driver, and where listening intently. The large military transport truck was silent save for the sound of her voice and their breathing.

"A year later they broke out; leaving everything they knew to be there home behind. At that time Zack, the oldest, was 14. He found a job with the military, using his new abilities for stealth missions. Four years would go by before anything new would happen. By that time my self, Lira, and Mich had joined and formed the team "Call Sign", the best stealth teem ever formed." Now her eyes closed in pain as the haunting refrain ran through her mind again

"She died slowly and painfully because of you, you and your foolish plans. You are the reason she is dead and now you can't bring her back. My sister is dead!"

A small research compound at the base of a cliff, slowly shutting down for the night, was the target. Crisp air, clear night, still and silent, nothing moved. A low humming sound filled the air as two trucks slowly approached the cliffs edge. As they slowed to a stop ally and three other teenagers jumped out of the transports, the first was obviously the leader; at five foot 12 inches, his close cut dark brown hair, the dog tags he wore read "Zack, call sign operative." was a contrast to the other guy that swung himself out of the first truck, Mich only one inch shorter, his black hair was down to his shoulders and pulled back in a pony tail. From the second truck came the two girls; the first one was obviously younger, Lira had hair so blond it was almost white, braded all the way down her back, followed by Ally, the shortest of the four by at least four inches, she had long black that fell just below her shoulders and was held out of her face by a simple hair clip. Her eyes flashed like trapped lightning then glazed over. As they stood above the compound the oldest turned.
"Think you can handle it, Ally?" the black haired girl looked up into her "leaders" face,
"Zack, I could completely take over the base three times before our ride got back, what do you think?" her harsh voice snapped back as her green eyes unglazed
"Easy Ally, I didn't mean that as an insult." the other two grinned
"Really? It sounded like one."
"Zack you repeatedly put your foot in your mouth when you talk to Ally, maybe you should try timing the things you say so she doesn't end up killing you." Mich whispered in his leader's ear
"Shut up Mich!"
"He is right you know."
"You too Lira!"
"Touchy, touchy...a little on edge today are we?" the platinum haired girl giggled "Did something happen between you and Ally again?"
"I said shut up!"
"Don't yell at them Zack!" Ally snapped, she looked disgustedly at the two boys, "What is it with you today? Maybe Lira and I should go on alone...you boys don't seem to be able to handle yourselves. Let's go Lira!"
"Coming Ally, see you two later." She said with a wink. Mich looked at there quickly disappearing backs and muttered
"What did I do?"
Sign up to rate and review this story