Categories > Games > Dungeons & Dragons > Sound of Silence

Early Steps of Judgement

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

First outing for the silent child. He learns there is a place outside of his mum's safe arms.

Category: Dungeons & Dragons - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Fantasy - Published: 2006-12-07 - Updated: 2006-12-07 - 964 words

1Original
Marianne had decided that his name would be Hijiri and that he would take whatever choice in life he wished. He was a good little boy and she worked hard to keep him happy and safe in the home. When he was old enough she took him out to the market for the first time.

He was seven years old, she had never heard a sound from him but he had learnt to use hand gestures to teach her what he needed. He looked like the pirate; Aaron and he had the same mischievous look about his face. He always smiled and if he knew nothing of his illness it was probably because he had never wanted to talk about it. He seemed for all intents to not know he was different.

"Izzie baby can you make sure you have everything you need?" Marianne had got the basket and her money. She was trying to get him to stand still long enough to put a rope round his hand to make sure he wouldn't run off. He nodded at her. "Okay, you make sure you have your whistle and," she leant over to tie his wrist and give him a kiss on the cheek, "you look like your dad when you grin like that. Want me to carry you to start off?"

Izzie nodded and clambered up to her waist. Marianne shut the house up and headed into the market place. The smile on his face was evident as he watched people wandering around. He wanted to go to everyone and a few people stopped to talk to his mother. Most people knew Marianne and the incident around the little half elf was not spoken of. She spoke to her parents to rarely and she had been all but left alone with the little boy. She had a couple of friends that came to drop things off for her.

It was completely different once they got onto the main market and he saw the bustle of people moving around. They were bartering to get their goods cheaply. There was a lot of movement and the young half elf spotted some other boys playing in a puddle at the back. He struggled to get down and Marianne pointed out that he could not go with them. He had to help her out. Izzie nodded politely and despite wanting to go to them thought his mum should come first.

"Morning Marianne, is that your little boy? Gosh isn't he cute." The women around the bakers all smiled at Izzie who smiled back. "So what's your name then?" One of them asked and he looked at her with big blue eyes before looking to his mother and hiding behind her dress. "Oh he's so shy."

"It's the first time he's been out of the house. Hijiri don't hide baby." His mother pushed him forward a little and he smiled meekly at the bakers' woman. "Hijiri wave hello to Mrs Fourstone."

Hijiri waved at the lady and moved a little closer. She wasn't pretty like his mom but she had plenty of nice looking things around. He put his arms out to her to tell her he wanted a hug. The woman looked at him before leaning and hugging him back and then looking to Marianne.

"Oh and you are very quiet Hijiri." She said with a smile. Marianne motioned her to one side and the other women watched as she lowered her voice and explained. "Oh my! Well that's a rarity and he's quite intelligent is he?" There was more whispering. "Okay well I'm not one to gossip so you show me how to understand him and when he's comfortable with me he can come shopping on his own as a young man."

The women looked at him and tried to figure out what had brought about the conversation. Hijiri looked at them with the same curiosity. He was only seven so he didn't know why they were so bothered by him when there were tons of good smelling cakes about. He smiled at them and one of them smiled back before asking him his name. Hijiri thought about it and took out a piece of paper to write it down and then pointed to his throat.

"Have you got a sore throat?" One asked as his mother ordered her goods. He nodded at her that no it wasn't sore. "Can you talk at all?" He nodded another no. The woman looked at Marianne. "Well that's what you get for sleeping around. Disgusting little child."

"Get out of my store and don't come back." The baker told the woman before there was even time for Hijiri to try and understand. "You have no idea about the little lad so instead of putting your opinions to him you find somewhere else to upset people."

"I will if you want to side with a child that can't fend for itself you can do that. He's never going to have any worth." She stormed out taking the small group with her. Hijiri looked at his mother confused before clambering up to the side of her and making a lot of hand gestures.

"Hang on baby." She watched him closely and then smiled. "No you did nothing wrong baby. You write very well. That lady was just in a bad mood and she couldn't appreciate you."

"Don't you worry my lad there are plenty of people here that will. You can always come find me if your mom isn't around." She wrote her name down for him and handed it over. Her first name Mary was close to his mum's so he smiled at her and hid his face in Marianne's dress. "I guess that means we're friends then." She laughed.
Sign up to rate and review this story