Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Severus Snape, Prisoner Of Azkaban

by Emilie_D 1 review

Azkaban Prison, but not quite so bad for Severus.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-12-10 - Updated: 2006-12-10 - 2734 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Severus Snape lay on his narrow bed, covered by warm blankets, pondering the sudden change in his fortunes. After weeks in a cold dark cell, drifting peacefully toward death, suddenly Harry Potter swooped in, behaving rather like Albus Dumbledore at his most interfering. As a result, for the past two weeks, three regular, familiar meals from the Hogwarts kitchens were delivered to him daily. A bed, a table, books, parchment and quills all there for his use, made him feel rather like the old Professor Snape. At least while he was awake. But in sleep, his hands reached for Zelda and in spite of the warm blankets, at those times he felt chilled and miserable.

He always rose at dawn, since his years as a teacher had trained his body to wake early. He was always dressed and working by the time the unfortunate guards brought him his warm, filling breakfast. It seemed the guards were not as well fed as he, so always saved the excess for them. But on this morning, a guest arrived with the food.

"Severus, how are you?" asked Kingsley Shacklebolt, striding in and filling the cell with his energy. He held out his hand confidently.

He rose and shook the Auror's hand. "Are you here to interrogate me?" he asked with a cynical glare.

"Hell, man, I'm here to apologize for that maniac Mad-Eye. We should never have let him near Hogwarts that day." He flashed his patented Shacklebolt smile and set breakfast down on the small table. "Go ahead and eat, man. I'll talk your ear off while you chew." He sat down on the foot of the bed, since there was only one chair.

Severus carefully marked pages, then removed the books and papers, setting them on the bed. He sat down and poured himself a cup of hot tea. "Potter told me that you were attacked by Bellatrix. I am relieved to see you looking well."

Kingsley grinned. "Dear Bella packed a mean Blasting Curse. Did you know Michael shot her? The final irony for the pure-blood bitch, death by Muggle!"

Severus smiled thinly and took a bite of toast. "Kingsley, do you know how Zelda is?" he asked, failing at the casual tone he had attempted.

The Auror's face grew sober. "She's all right. Back home again, and she's teaching, of course. Since she can't remember us, we can't do much. But I went yesterday, so I could tell you she's okay. She was out walking the dog, so I actually could see her. All the protections you put on her house are still there, so only you and the kids can go there."

The memory of Zelda's house seemed very far away, and Severus didn't dare to think too much about it or he believed he'd go mad. "But she has Rowena with her? How was that explained to her?"

"Our Michael's a plausible fellow," Kingsley said, chuckling. "He asked her to take in a stray dog for a few days and the rest, as they say, is history. She loves that dog and I imagine she needs the company. Michael called her a couple of times and says she doesn't sound like herself."

Severus closed his eyes briefly. "I wish I had access to the library. Is it possible to un-work a Memory Charm without damaging her mind? The Dark Lord broke Bertha Jorkins' mind when he broke Crouch's Charm." He forced himself to take a bite of the now unappetizing food before him.

"Don't fret, Severus," Kingsley said gently, "Filius Flitwick's working on it. If anyone can find a way to do it, he can."'

Hope, something Severus Snape tried to avoid at all cost, flooded his body. "Does the Ministry know of her?"

"They know she exists, but they can't find her and most of what they know is what Moody told them. They know more of Michael, of course, since he's almost single-handedly running St. Mungo's." Here Kingsley chuckled. "He and Ginny brought Hermione there when the bite on her leg began to bleed again. He picked up this young Healer, Augustus Pye, who's totally mad about something called /complementary medicine/," here he glanced at his listener.

"I am aware of the concept," said Severus. "Go on."

"So they started talking and it seems they have a lot in common. Now they're starting a small unit for treating something called Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. It seems many victims of the recent violence are experiencing flashbacks and crippling emotional pain. Michael suffered from it himself after his war experiences, and now he's doing amazing work with Pye."

Severus smiled to himself. Michael was truly a force to be reckoned with. "But he is a Muggle. The Ministry... St. Mungo's... can they accept this?"

Kingsley smiled broadly. "You know there are some who hate it, but he has several friends in high places, and the staff and administrators at St. Mungo's are crazy about him. Being a dear friend of the Headmistress of Hogwarts helps too. And there's a great need for his knowledge," he said soberly.

After so long in isolation, Kingsley's casual conversation made Severus long to be among those good people again, but of course it was impossible. "How is Minerva?" he asked.

"She learned a lot this summer, she says. I saw her last week and, after seeing the Ministry in action at first hand, she plans to be every bit as high-handed as Dumbledore in dealing with the Ministry."

Severus chuckled faintly. "I am delighted to hear it."

Kingsley studied the wizard closely. He was thinner than ever, even after Potter's effort to feed him, and his black eyes were still haunted. Snape might be a candidate for Michael's new clinic, when they got him free. "Severus, I'm here to help you start planning for your trial before the Wizengamot. It's two weeks from today. We're going to have you cleared of all charges."

"I do not look forward to it," came the cold reply.

"No. If you're not careful, you may not be on trial alone. Our whole society and government could be publicly held accountable for their incompetence and corruption. If that happens, they'll try to make you the scapegoat," Kingsley said. "Scrimgeour and his cronies are struggling to figure out how to preserve their reputations. So Severus, what are your thoughts? How much do you want to say? You could ruin them, you know. Of course you may end up in here for life, in that case."

Severus rubbed his temples. He said wearily, "I have not thought about it. I never imagined myself surviving Voldemort, although finding Zelda made me wish it possible. This has been... difficult."

Kingsley gestured to the books and parchment piled on the bed. "What's all that?"

Severus rolled his eyes. "It pains me to give Potter and his friends credit for insight, but they have assigned me to write a new N.E.W.T. Potions textbook. I always felt I must be locked away from all distractions in order to do it, and frankly, never planned to bother."

Kingsley threw back his head and shouted with laughter. "Bloody hell, Severus! The Boy-Who-Lived is certainly throwing his weight around these days!"

"Really?" replied Severus, a suspicious gleam in his eyes. "How is that?"

"I suppose you haven't seen the dueling newspaper articles, have you? I'll send them to you. /The Daily Prophet/, once again printing Ministry propaganda, wrote a scurrilous piece trumpeting Mad-Eye Moody as the hero who captured your dangerous self. You were declared guilty of every crime imaginable, and they planned an exclusive to cover your execution."

"Marvelous," Severus sneered.

"No, wait! Potter and his friends got Rita Skeeter to write a masterful version of the past year's events, and got Lovegood to print an extra edition of /The Quibbler/. They went through three editions. Potter gave the public a wide assortment of heroes to admire, including your noble, courageous self. You're the Wizard of the Hour, man."

"Gods," muttered Severus, burying his face in his hands. "How could they? Just Curse me now, Shacklebolt. Bloody brats. Haven't they got enough to do, just lording it at Hogwarts?"

"Tut-tut," replied Kingsley, his dark eyes alight with laughter. "Has it ever occurred to you that Harry's not James? Tonks says he's keeping a low profile at school. He, Ron and Hermione all turned down Minerva's offer to be Heads and they're working hard at their studies. Furthermore, they've been helping Draco Malfoy. The boy's trial is tomorrow, and there's a good chance of getting him released, I'd say. If that happens, Harry got Minerva to agree to let Draco return to Hogwarts."

Severus looked up. A gleam of satisfaction, quickly hidden, had flashed in his eyes. "That is good news," he said softly. "Dumbledore wanted Draco to have a chance. But what of Narcissa?"

"Bellatrix attacked her that day. Lupin found her unconscious and bleeding in the Forest. He's hopeless at Healing, but he was bringing her to safety when everything happened. She's been in St. Mungo's since then. Lucius is an abusive chap, in case you hadn't noticed, so after they Healed her fractured skull, they put her in the care of a pair of new, young Healers who work with abused witches." He shrugged. "We'll see what happens. Tonks visits her regularly and says it'll depend on whether she's loyal to Lucius or her son. Draco's quite bitter about his father dragging the family into following Voldemort."

"Is Lucius still here? I have no way of knowing."

"Yes. One good thing that has come of this, is that he and the other Death Eaters are without influence and have no hope of bribing their way out of Azkaban." Kingsley paused and said, "You'll need someone to represent you. I would be honored if you will allow me to do it."

"I might ask why you would bother, but having no other offers, I shall accept gladly," said Severus.

"Thank you. As I said earlier, there are political ramifications that may require finesse, as well as a fair knowledge of skeletons in Ministerial closets. Dolores Umbridge seems to hate you, she's far more zealous in wanting you prosecuted than Scrimgeour himself. She has aligned herself with Mad-Eye, and together they're paranoid and unscrupulous." Here Kingsley smiled broadly. "I know a few things she doesn't want made public, however, so I hope to persuade her to be... reasonable."

"Has there ever been a time when our government has not been riddled with incompetence and hypocrisy?" asked Severus in disgust. "Half the damage done by the Dark Lord was the result of Fudge's willingness to be corrupted by Lucius Malfoy and his cronies."

"Something we both know, but can't say in your trial," said Kingsley. "I have to go now, but I'll come back regularly and we'll work out a defense strategy. In the meantime, keep working on your textbook like a good Potions scholar and don't give up hope." As he stood to go, he pulled two scrolls out of his pocket and held them out. The guards seem unhappy enough about providing room service to you, so I brought these in."

"Thank you," said Snape, taking them and setting them aside. "I deeply appreciate your help."

"No problem. Michael said I should tell you that he's planning your wedding reception, so don't worry about a thing. Did I mention that I adore parties?"

Severus smiled cynically, but the reminder of his brief happiness caused a deep pang of sorrow.

Kingsley pounded on the door for the guard and as he left he turned and smiled confidently. "Believe, Severus. It'll all work out. See you later!"

Severus turned to the scrolls. He had gotten a brief letter from Potter since he was moved here, simply inquiring whether he could do anything to make this incarceration more bearable. Replying had been painfully challenging, since he had never imagined a friendly correspondence with Potter. He had managed it, but wondered what vile social obligations these might contain. He opened the first one and found it was from the Headmistress of Hogwarts.

Dear Severus,

I would have written sooner, but knowing your antisocial disposition and that you would feel obligated to reply, I did not wish to burden you. However, I have been extremely concerned about you and wish to assure you that we are doing everything possible to free you.

I feared for your sanity, with nothing to do except brood in that cell, but Potter and his cohorts have assured me that you are busy writing a new textbook. I am delighted to hear it. I am also rather surprised that those three, who I thought, at times, lived only to plague you, are plotting endlessly to gain your release. They told me that Hogwarts is not the same without you and I share that sentiment.

Miss Tonks is a fine DADA teacher and is also Head of Slytherin House. I shall be sorry to lose her next year when she must return to the Ministry. Our temporary Potions master is Solomon Davis. He is on loan to us from the Department of Mysteries and is such a brilliant young man that most people can't understand anything he says. He is not a terribly successful teacher. I am dropping a hint, my friend. You may gladly take either or both positions next year. I only hope our students are adequately prepared for their Potions O.W.L. in the spring.

I felt obligated to ask Potter if he would take the Head Boy position, but was not surprised that he declined. Indeed, all three of them thought it best that I choose others. So this year's Heads are Padma Patil and Justin Finch-Fletchley. Thus far it seems good for morale throughout the school. The Slytherins seem relieved that no Gryffindors were chosen, and the other Houses seem happy with the choice.

Potter's only request was to remain as Gryffindor's Quidditch captain and he hinted that perhaps we should delay the start of the seasno, if necessary. I suspect he wishes Malfoy to return before Gryffindor plays Slytherin. If that occurs, I hope that you will be interested in another of our little wagers, my friend.

Last week I went to check on Zelda. We must be cautious, so it does not seem that strangers are stalking her. The home nearest to her school has a delightful herb garden. She seems busy, but I believe she was happier in the summer. Filius is spending all of his spare time researching the problem. He found Zelda charming when he met her and when I told him that you and Zelda are involved he was delighted. I am to assure you that he will solve this problem and looks forward to you bringing her back to Hogwarts.

I must close now, but chin up, Severus. I shall of course be present at your trial to testify on your behalf.

Sincerely Yours,

Minerva McGonagall


Severus smiled faintly. He hated to have hope, but this letter made it stir within him. He had much to ponder about Potter too, but there was plenty of time later to wonder about the boy's motivation. He opened the other scroll and quickly found himself chuckling.

Hey Severus,

Just a note to tell you they haven't managed to Obliviate me yet and I'm still here! Don't worry about Zelda. This situation sucks, but it's just a bump in the road to Happily Ever After for you two.

Did you know, I had that deranged old bastard in my sight, but didn't shoot him? I'm really sorry.

Kingsley has loads of clever ideas for getting you off, so I expect to see you in a couple of weeks. And, Severus, what you did, it's changed things for the better in your world. Even I can see that. Good job, buddy.

See ya soon,

Michael


Alone again, Severus Snape was forced to admit that he had friends. He was not sure how to handle such a thing, he had not asked for friendship, in fact he would not have dared. Of course he would never have asked Zelda to love him either, but she had deeply loved him. He was forced to realize, sitting in an Azkaban prison cell, that he was far richer than he ever imagined possible.
Sign up to rate and review this story