Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

The Trial Of Severus Snape

by Emilie_D 1 review

Kingsley Shacklebolt for the defense.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-12-10 - Updated: 2006-12-10 - 3680 words - Complete

1Ambiance
The cell door opened very early on the morning of October second, but Severus was ready. He was wearing his customary black clothing, which had been collected from Michael's cabin.

"Good morning, Severus," said Kingsley. He looked splendid. His robes were elegantly tailored and his bald head gleamed in the dim light, as did his gold earring. "You look exactly like a serious-minded scholar. Excellent." He held out a large, graceful hand to Severus, who studied it before shaking hands.

"A manicure?" he asked scornfully.

"A man should always present himself to best advantage," said the Auror with a supercilious smirk. "Is everything packed? Splendid."

He directed the unfortunate guard to carry the small trunk up to the entrance. Once he had collected his wand he took the trunk with a smile of thanks and escorted Severus out the door, into the fresh air for the first time in a very long time.

Severus turned his face into the buffeting wind and inhaled deeply, staring at the churning icy sea. It was bitingly cold here at Azkaban, a complete contrast with the warm summer he had last experienced. This time alone, free from petty distractions, had been one of contemplation and decision-making, the most productive of his life. But he wished briefly that he could Apparate back to Zelda, leaving this world behind. He had other obligations though, and people had gone to a great deal of trouble to assist him, so taking one last breath of the icy sea air, he turned to Kingsley and waited.

The Auror held out his arm and said, "We'll go together, if that's all right. Next stop, the Ministry of Magic. We should arrive early enough to review our strategy one more time."


&&&&&&&&&


They stood in the dank corridor, waiting for the signal that the trial would begin. The doors to Courtroom Ten opened slowly at precisely nine o'clock.

"Showtime," said Kingsley, a serious expression appearing on his face.

Snape nodded, feeling as though he might vomit. The events that had transpired in this grim chamber were well known to him. He followed Kingsley into the room, glancing up once to see the entire Wizengamot, in their full regalia, staring down upon him. He was aware that all of them must have read the reports in the newspapers and wondered which they would believe. Rufus Scrimgeour gazed inscrutably down at him, and a few seats over, Dolores Umbridge glared spitefully. Obviously she did not view him as the Wizard of the Hour. Mad-Eye Moody glared down at him too.

"Severus Snape, take your seat," said a cold voice.

He walked to the chair and sat down, fully expecting the chains to fly up and bind him down. They did so, holding his forearms firmly to the arms of the chair. But the leg chains did not move. A compromise, perhaps? He sat stiffly upright and strove for his usual icy composure. He had endured many kinds of pressure, but the spy in him felt naked with so many eyes fixed on him. A public explanation of what had happened went against all of his life's experience.

"The trial of Severus Snape will now begin," announced Rufus Scrimgeour. "Interrogators: Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic: Gawain Robards, Head of Aurors: Auror Savage. Court Scribe, Percy Ignatius Weasley."

Gawain Robards, a grim faced wizard, pronounced, "Severus Snape, you stand accused of the murder of Albus Dumbledore and of being a Death Eater, a follower of Lord Voldemort, hence an enemy to our society. Further, it is alleged that you participated in Voldemort's plan to overthrow the Ministry of Magic and take control of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, which plan went forward on August eleventh of this year. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty," he replied crisply.

"Do you plan to call witnesses to testify on your behalf?" asked Robards sternly.

"I do," he replied. "When you are prepared for testimony to begin, I shall call my first witness, Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt."

A low murmur rippled through the members of the Wizengamot, all of whom knew the suave and clever Auror.

"Have you an opening statement?" asked Scrimgeour.

Snape bowed his head affirmatively, and began to speak in a low, stern voice. "In my youth I made the disastrous choice to follow Lord Voldemort, a decision I regretted soon afterward. Since 1980 I have been closely associated with Albus Dumbledore, a wizard known to all of you. I went to him and offered to spy on the Dark Lord and report back to him, so that he could oppose Voldemort more effectively. I did in fact function as a spy from that time, at the request of Headmaster Dumbledore. In the event of his death, the Headmaster requested that I go immediately to Voldemort and remain close to him, so that I could assist Harry Potter to defeat him. After sustaining a terminal injury, Professor Dumbledore asked me to kill him, if it became necessary. On that night at Hogwarts, against my own judgment, I did it. But I acceded to his wishes."

"LIAR!" roared Alastor Moody, spraying saliva on the back of Dolores Umbridge's rigid hair. "You viciously murdered Dumbledore out of spite, and then spirited that traitorous Malfoy whelp away to escape justice!"

Frowning, Scrimgeour interjected, "Control yourself, Alastor. Draco Malfoy was cleared of all charges two weeks ago and has been allowed to return to Hogwarts to complete his education. Accusations against him have no place in this proceeding."

"If the accused has finished his opening statement, I suggest that Mr. Shacklebolt be called so that we may proceed," said Robards.

The doors glided open and Kingsley Shacklebolt strode briskly into the dank, dark courtroom, radiating confidence and charm.

"Please identify yourself," said Percy Weasley in a serious voice.

"Kingsley Shacklebolt, Auror. I shall call the remaining witnesses as I recount the truth of this matter. My friend, Professor Snape, has requested that I represent him for the duration of the proceedings," he said smoothly.

Snape remained impassive as his defender began to recount a carefully selective truth that shielded Zelda and Michael as much as possible. As he listened, though, it took all of his control to keep from squirming. Shacklebolt's delivery was understated, however the Auror managed to praise his patience, courage and dedication to the cause in a most embarrassing way.

Kingsley had warned him in advance that he would describe him this way, allowing him to object vehemently in the isolation of his Azkaban cell. It was useless, however, so finally Snape was forced to resort to Occlumency to control his discomfort. Then it was time to call the witnesses.

"Our first witness will be Harry Potter," announced Kingsley in a sonorous voice.

Severus gulped slightly, but he alone was aware that his heart was pounding in his chest.

The door opened and Harry entered. He looked older than his seventeen years and very serious. Also, in contrast to his last appearance before the Wizengamot, when he wore jeans and a T-shirt, he was dressed in immaculate black Hogwarts robes. His green eyes flicked briefly to the accused, a frown appearing when he saw the chains. Then he strode forward to the chair provided for witnesses.

"State your name," Scrimgeour said coolly. He might be more familiar with Potter since the eleventh of August, but he hadn't learned to like him any better.

"Harry James Potter," replied Harry, nodding politely.

"Mr. Potter, we have your statement from June of this year, relating the events occurring at Hogwarts school. You stated that you witnessed the murder of Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. At that time you said that you witnessed Severus Snape performing the Avada Kedavra Curse." Scrimgeour was well aware of newspaper stories and seemed resigned to seeing this witness weaken the Ministry's case.

"I did say that, but I later learned that Professor Dumbledore asked him to do it. It was part of a plan," replied Harry earnestly. "Since June, Professor Snape has been helping us. He went back to Voldemort, found out about his plans and then gave us every bit of information he learned. He planned the defense at Hogwarts. He's the reason Voldemort didn't take the Ministry by surprise."

Snape studied the members of the Wizengamot as they listened raptly to Potter. He was aware that the boy had appeared here recently on behalf of Draco Malfoy, and it seemed his credibility was absolute for the majority. After so many years watching the boy critically, he felt a shocking sense of pride. Potter was poised and serious, weighing each word in a way he had never done before. Most incredibly, he was taking this trouble on behalf of his most despised teacher. He had long seen the hate and resentment Potter had felt for him, yet today James Potter's son was testifying publicly on his behalf.

He was recalled from his thoughts by Potter rising to leave and realized, appalled, that he had failed to listen to most of the boy's testimony. As Potter walked past him, he looked worriedly at the chains, then met his eyes, smiled faintly and winked at him. In such extreme circumstances, Snape was forced to control his twitching facial muscles with an effort.

The next hours dragged on interminably as Kingsley called witness after witness. Minerva McGonagall, Arthur Weasley, Molly Weasley, Nymphadora Tonks all testified at length. The trial stretched on through the lunch hour, and the accused sat patient and unmoving, chained to his chair. It was actually, he thought ironically, far less physically dreadful than the Cruciatus Curse.

Finally, came the moment that took the entire Wizengamot by surprise.

"I shall ask Headmistress McGonagall to rejoin us briefly," said Shacklebolt.

Minerva re-entered and took the witness chair. "As the Headmistress of Hogwarts, I call upon the magical portrait of Albus Dumbledore to testify in the matter of Severus Snape."

She turned to the large, stately portrait on the wall that had formerly been placed in the Atrium. "Professor Dumbledore, did you indeed ask Professor Severus Snape to kill you?"

Dumbledore's image smiled benevolently out upon the assemblage. "It was planned for many months. In the summer of 1996 I was nearly killed by a Dark Magical Curse of Lord Voldemort's. Professor Snape brewed a Potion that slowed the progress of the Curse, so that I was able to survive for almost all of the coming school year. However, I knew it would not last indefinitely and wished to ensure that Harry Potter would not face Voldemort alone. By speeding my inevitable demise, Severus would gain favor with Voldemort and be nearby to assist young Harry."

"Was Professor Snape willing to acquiesce to your request?" asked Minerva calmly.

Whispers broke out around the room and were hastily stifled.

"He was most unwilling and attempted repeatedly to dissuade me, but I still believe it was an essential act," replied the portrait wizard.

"Thank you, Sir," said Professor McGonagall.

"I have a question," trilled Dolores Umbridge, her small eyes glittering spitefully. "Professor Dumbledore, why didn't you inform the Ministry of the facts as you knew..."

"Excuse me, Madam Umbridge," interrupted Auror Savage hastily. "You are drifting from the case at hand. Professor Dumbledore, being deceased, cannot be questioned or tried for any errors committed during his life. We are here to consider the case of Professor Snape."

"We have heard a great deal of testimony this day, and I believe we should be able to come to a decision," said Scrimgeour majestically, shooting a filthy look at Madam Umbridge. "Robards?"

"Those in favor of clearing the accused of all charges?" asked Robards, glancing sourly at Dolores Umbridge.

Severus clutched the arms of his chair. This was the moment that would decide all. He looked up at his judges and amazingly, hands were springing up. Far more than half were up and more were rising.

Kingsley watched in cynical amusement as Rufus Scrimgeour, seeing how the wind was blowing, slowly put his hand up. In fact, the only person finally holding back was, unsurprisingly, Dolores Umbridge.

Robards rolled his eyes and said irritably, "Those in favor of conviction?"

Dolores Umbridge stood up and defiantly raised her hand. "This is pure politics," she snapped sourly. "It's a disgrace to our government and our society if we allow..."

Rufus Scrimgeour rose and spoke loudly, drowning out the rest of her diatribe. "Severus Snape, you are cleared of all charges. In fact I wish to thank you for your service to our cause and for the warning that made it possible for us to repel the attacks by the Death Eaters. You are cleared of all charges and therefore, free to go."

The chains immediately dropped from his arms and Severus still sat there, stunned by the hasty, anticlimactic end of his ordeal. He stared sternly up into the Minister's eyes, a subtle challenge in his own. A hand touching his shoulder finally drew his attention away.

"Severus, do you want to stay here and hash things out any more?" asked Kingsley teasingly. "Come on, man. It's time for you to start living the rest of your life. I warn you, though, you won't get out of here so easily. Watch out for the Skeeter pest."

Severus stood up slowly, stiff after hours sitting held in one position. He joined Kingsley and they walked to the door, which opened to a curious crowd milling about the corridor.

Kingsley saw Severus's horrified realization that he would have to pass through the small mob, and he smiled wickedly at the exhausted former prisoner. "I'll deal with it," he said with a grand gesture, stepping out in front of Rita Skeeter. "Excuse me, dear lady," he said suavely.

"Kingsley, I'll be with you in a moment, you gorgeous man, but I need a word with the Wizard of the Hour," she said briskly, shoving him aside and making a beeline for Severus, who was a few steps behind. "Wait, Severus!" she shouted. "You'll need to get your side of the story out!"

Just before she reached her prey, Minerva McGonagall slipped between them. "If I might have a word, Professor," she murmured gently, elbowing the reporter viciously aside.

Severus found himself being hauled down the corridor by the stern arm of his former teacher. "Thank you once again, Minerva. I have grown soft in my comfortable cell, and am repulsed at the thought of dueling with that bloody reporter."

They climbed a flight of stairs and were heading for the lift, when suddenly the Weasleys, Nymphadora Tonks and Harry Potter raced up behind, surrounding them. The door opened and they all piled in around him. The doors closed and Severus was alone with them, struggling for words.

"Severus, I'm so glad," said Molly, beaming up at him. Daringly, she turned around and kissed his thin cheek. "And I'm sorry for the horrible time you had. The whole business was disgraceful."

"Congratulations, Severus," said Arthur Weasley, shaking his hand warmly.

"Kingsley will be along as soon as he's finished throwing a bone to the Skeeter," said Tonks, smiling broadly. Her hair was a cheery pink again.

Severus was moved by their kindness. He looked next at Potter, who hadn't managed to wipe the smirk off his face.

"Sorry, Sir," said Harry, his mouth twitching. "It was just..."

The black eyes glinted dangerously at him, but then the lift doors opened and they were in the Atrium.

Harry walked a little behind the rest of them. There had been so many horrible events in his life, so many people dead. He wanted things to be normal again and hoped Professor Snape would come back to Hogwarts. If he brought Zelda, everything would be great. He knew they'd find a way to undo that Memory Charm and then... seventh year would be the best year of his life.

Severus had turned and caught Potter's unprotected thoughts. Guiltily, he told himself that he no longer needed to use Legilimency to keep the bloody boy safe, but the boy's wish shocked him profoundly. Nauseated, he realized he had felt a slight twinge of affection for the brat. Seeing how much Potter wanted him to return to Hogwarts made him grateful that Albus Dumbledore, that meddlesome old man, would not know.

"Well, what now, Severus?" asked Kingsley as he joined them. "Your things are here and they'll release your wand now. It's three o'clock and you're free. Where would you like to go first?"

"I had not really thought," he replied, weariness washing over him in a sudden wave. He strove to collect his thoughts and decide what he must do first.

"Severus, come to Hogwarts, at least for a short time. I believe you should consult with Filius," said Minerva. "Also, your quarters await you and it will do you good to rest a bit."

He thought about his own house, untenanted for months, and his personal library. There could be some useful materials there. He also wished to see Michael in his new role as complementary medicine expert and most of all, he wanted to see for himself that Zelda was well. But Minerva was right, as she too often was. "Thank you," he replied. "But my quarters are those designated for the Head of Slytherin..."

"Hey, I'm temporary/," said Tonks with a wry smile. "We want you back. Not that it isn't hilarious for me to be acting Head for this year. I remember /my own Head told me I lacked the ability to behave myself. So I didn't get to be a prefect, but today I'm Head of Slytherin House."

"Who was your Head, Tonks?" asked Harry curiously. He couldn't imagine anyone not liking Tonks.

A mischievous grin appeared on her face and her eyes slid to Severus, who maintained an imperturbable expression.

Harry snorted, wishing he dared to say something, but fortunately, Kingsley had collected Professor Snape's wand and belongings, so they all queued up to Floo to Hogwarts.

Severus accepted his wand, running the familiar length of it through his fingers. As it always did, holding it felt warm and comforting, bringing him back to himself.

Their destination was the Headmistress's office, and Severus was relieved to see that they all immediately dispersed, after saying a friendly good afternoon. He looked enquiringly at Minerva.

"Tea?" she asked. "You look as if you could use it."

He nodded, a hint of a smile on his face. It was a relief that he did not need to make small talk with her. He closed his eyes and leaned back in the comfortable chair for a moment.

"It sounds as if your trial was more remarkable for what was not said, than what was said," she said, holding out a cup of fragrant tea.

"Dolores Umbridge and Mad-Eye certainly helped to speed things along," he said. "Perhaps I shall murder him quickly, rather than torture him to death, to show my gratitude."

"What about Zelda?" she asked gently, knowing what he must be thinking.

"I shall go to her as soon as possible. But I must know, how effective was the Memory Charm?" he asked, striving for calmness.

"It seems that it was very strong, but I shall arrange for you to speak with the specialists at St. Mungo's. The spell itself did not harm her, and she seems well. Potter goes twice a week to check on her, since he can go to her house."

"I shall consult with Filius Flitwick and begin to do my research immediately," he said, having long known it was his first priority. "But how can Potter function as a student if he is Apparating around the globe and testifying at trials? It cannot be good for him."

"Severus, he has grown up a great deal, and was never the conceited brat you thought him" she said. "Furthermore, he and his friends did a large amount of summer homework and are well ahead of their classmates in two subjects."

She frowned. "I cannot believe we let them go without homework. All of the students have a great deal to catch up. However, you seem to have done those three a favor."

"I merely gave them what was customary in my two subjects, as well as some suggestions that I believed would be useful."

Minerva shook her head. "Your thoroughness is most impressive."

"You had reason to be distracted," he said calmly.

"Thank you, but I know better than to excuse myself," she replied. "They shared their homework with Longbottom, who is also doing extremely well. And there is something else interesting..."

"What?" he asked curiously.

"Potter harassed the Ministry on Malfoy's behalf, rather as he did for you. As soon as Malfoy's trial was over, Potter and his friends spent the first weekend he was back at Hogwarts catching him up on his studies."

"Merlin's hemorrhoids," exclaimed Severus, his eyes rolling cynically.

"Young Draco saved Ginny Weasley from Bellatrix Lestrange. It is still an awkward interaction among them, but they are all behaving very well," she said. "Albus would be very proud of them."

"How nauseating," he said, curling his lip. "All this friendship and cooperation."

"Did I mention that Gryffindor will play Slytherin a week from Saturday," she asked innocently. "I hope that you will be my guest at the match. Potter and Malfoy are captains. They seem delighted to have a legitimate occasion to detest each other, so I believe it will be most exciting."

"I look forward to it," Severus said silkily. "I must go now, however, so I may get to work."

"Severus, remember that Hogwarts is your home as long as you wish to be here," said Minerva. "I realize that you will have decisions to make, and that they will depend on Zelda too. But you will always be welcome here. Please come to dinner this evening, if you wish."

"If it does not seem too strange, I will enjoy that," he replied. "I hope to find Filius there." He excused himself then and headed for his rooms in the dungeon.
Sign up to rate and review this story