Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Epilogue

by Emilie_D 3 reviews

How it all ends up.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-12-12 - Updated: 2006-12-13 - 4122 words - Complete

2Moving
The morning sun shone through the bedroom window of the dungeon suite, moving slowly across the room until it reached the woman sleeping in the big bed. She stirred, irritated by the sunbeam that was teasing at her closed eyes.

"Severus, would you please hex the sun for me? It's hurting my eyes," she moaned, a little dramatically.

As he did every morning that he woke up next to her, Severus Snape smiled as he opened his eyes. "Anything for you, my sweet wife," he replied. He rolled over and put his arms around her, pulling her out of the sunbeam's path.

"Ah, thank you..." she murmured, kissing his cheek. "You're the best person I know, Severus, and my hero, as always."

"You're easily pleased, pet," he said cynically. "As it is the first Saturday of the term, we should breakfast in the Great Hall, to set a good example for those bloody brats."

"I'm too old for that nonsense," she said irritably. "Do I have to?" Her lip curled in a very conscious mockery of him.

"As my better half, and the only reason I do not frighten the first years into convulsions, I insist," he snapped playfully.

Her blue eyes flew open wide and she grinned. "Okay. Sexy shower scene first?"

He tightened his arms around her and muttered, "In that case we would certainly not reach the Great Hall until dinner time. Most likely we would both end in the Infirmary, which would cause a great deal of awkward explaining."

"Well, if you change your mind, I won't say no," she said, a slight pout in her voice.


&&&&&&&&&


The students were all eating and chatting casually when Severus and Zelda entered the Great Hall. Weekends were far more leisurely than busy weekday mornings. The staff all paused to greet the newcomers, waiting until they were seated before resuming their conversations.

"How are you, Zelda?" asked Professor Potter, as she was seated between him and her husband. "I'm surprised you didn't convince his Highness to let you have breakfast in bed." His green eyes flew to Severus, who had heard every word of the provocative comment, as the raised eyebrow demonstrated.

"Potter, why didn't I strangle you when I had the chance?" he asked irritably. "Possibly she is here because she knew she would need to keep me from hexing you."

"Good morning, Headmaster," chanted Harry, while flashing a winsome smile at Severus. "I'll be unable to attend the staff meeting tomorrow evening, due to an unavoidable conflict, Sir."

The eyebrow rose again, a sign of displeasure that drew a fond smile from the younger man.

"Just kidding, Sir," said Harry, his green eyes sparkling wickedly.

The rest of the staff had long grown used to the ridiculous banter between the two wizards. The few who had known them both in their younger days never tired of telling their newer colleagues how Headmaster Snape and Potter had loathed each other back when they were student and teacher, back in the 1990's.

Now, of course, things were very different... yet even in his late sixties, the wickedly sarcastic and charming Professor Potter could rarely resist behaving like Headmaster Snape's delinquent child. After so many years, Snape still responded nastily to that act, but they all saw the deep affection behind the snarky façade.

"How did the first week of classes go?" asked Zelda happily. She adored these two wizards, and their absurd behavior brought back fond memories of those first days that they'd all known each other.

"As usual," he replied. "The First Years all show up for
DADA thinking they'll impress the bloody Chosen One. They all seem shocked to see an old man totter in to teach them. Of course, this year my spoilt bloody grandson strolled in, planning to take advantage of his position. Fortunately, I had my own experience of strict, cranky teachers to draw on, so I think it'll be fine."

"Which strict teachers were those? Anyone I know?" she asked innocently, blue eyes twinkling.

"One in particular," he said, smirking faintly.

The Headmaster had turned to speak with Professor Lovegood, who taught Divination. Harry took advantage of his distraction to ask quietly, "Seriously, how are you, Zelda? Ginny wouldn't tell me anything, but I know she's worried about you." The worry lines on his face were deep, and his expression was grim.

"Sweetie, I'm okay," she said gently. "But I'm ninety-four years old, so it can't be such a shock to accept that I'm mortal."

His eyes fixed reproachfully on her. "Michael often told me I needed to get over my fear of losing people I love. Fifty years later, I know how right he was, and still... Merlin, Zel, please live forever... for me."

"Goddess! I'm going to cry at the High Table," she replied. "Let's get out of here, okay?"

She pushed back her nearly uneaten breakfast plate and touched Severus's arm. "I'm going to walk down to the lake with Harry, my dear Headmaster," she murmured.

"I shall join you shortly," he said. Under the imperturbable surface, still he worried. He forced his attention back to Professor Lovegood, and if she recognized his nervous distraction, for once she was too courteous to mention it.

It was a beautiful September morning at Hogwarts. Zelda still had a brisk energy to her at times, but tired more easily now. By the time they reached the bench by the lake, she needed to sit down. "Goddess, I'm bloody tired of feeling so stiff and achy. Old age sucks," she said stoutly.

Harry forced himself not to comment on her increasing frailty. He sat down next to her and put an arm around her shoulder. They looked into each other's eyes and exchanged all of it, the fear, the love, and Zelda's hope that he would be all right.

"I love Legilimency," she murmured. "It would've been too hard to say all that."

"Zelda," he said, "You and Professor Snape!" He took a shuddering breath. "I never knew my parents, and thought I'd got beyond needing parents. But Ginny's been so worried about you, and last week we all got together. Ginny and I, Ron, Luna, Lavender, Neville, Hermione, Draco, it was the first time in years that we've all been together. We talked about how it was when we were students."

"Maybe you all should schedule periodic class reunions," mused Zelda.

Harry chuckled and kissed her forehead. "Ridiculous woman," he scoffed. "There's a point to this. Hermione dragged me off by the ear for a tête-à-tête. She pointed out, because I'm too bloody thick to have figured it out, that you and Professor Snape have essentially been my parents, almost since the day I met you. Also, that you're not getting any younger."

"Really?" she asked innocently.

"Okay," he said. "So I'm an idiot who couldn't see the obvious for my whole adult life."

Zelda studied him. The beautiful green eyes were unchanged, but his hair, while still untidy, was almost entirely gray. He was still rather skinny and quick, a Quidditch Seeker's build.

"You've been busy living your own life, as it should be. But you're like one of my own," she said. "I didn't want to be greedy. You were almost grown when I met you, Harry. You had a mother too, one who loved you dearly."

"I know it," he said. "She saved my life, and I know her love's still with me, but, Zel, you gave me a bloody birthday party. It was you and Professor Snape who helped me grow up after Voldemort was gone. You were there when our kids were born! You've always been there for me. I never thought about it, and could never say it to him/, but I love you both. I only just put it all together. /You've been my mum, Zelda Snape, and I can't stand to lose you, now that I've just realized it."

"Harry, you've been such a joy to me," she said gently. "It was a happy day for me when you showed up in my life, needing a mother, needing what I loved to give you. I've adored having you in my life."

He studied her closely. The blue eyes were bright as always, but her curls were pure white and the lines on her face were deep. She was extremely thin, and though the spirit shining from her eyes was strong, her body was growing fragile. His eyes began to sting with tears as he saw the love and sorrow on her face.

"Harry," she said, and her chin quivered, "I'm not a witch and I've lived to a very good age for a Muggle. I've loved every day of my life, I love all of you dear and bloody magical brats I've known here. It should be enough, but I still can't bear to leave you and Severus." She broke down and sobbed against his shoulder. "I love you both so much."

He held her as she wept, love and grief warring within him. He was glad they'd finally said it, but he wished it had been much, much earlier.

"Wasn't it Dumbledore who said that famous, annoying thing about death being the next great adventure to the well-regulated mind?" she said, hiccoughing. "I never could regulate my random mind, and I'm simple enough that being married to Severus is the only adventure I ever wanted."

She looked up, toward the castle, and saw a familiar black, billowing cloak in the distance. She gave a watery giggle and said, "I'll give you two Knuts if you'll tell him you love him, Harry."

They watched the Headmaster approach. The beautiful morning had drawn many students out onto the lawns, but none approached him as he strode steadily down to the lake.

Zelda's eyes glowed as she watched him approach them. In contrast to her hair, which had gone white many years earlier, his hair was still mostly black, with only a few dramatic streaks of white. He was very thin, his face was harshly lined, and his hooked nose was more prominent than ever.

She sighed happily.

"You two are still a scandalous pair," Harry told her. "You should hear what the Gryffindors say about your outrageous sex life. At your age, they think you should maintain a dignified celibacy."

"What makes you think we don't?" she asked innocently. "Actually, you wait 'til you're old, boy, and see how you feel. I'll admit, kinky shower sex should be approached with caution, once you're past ninety, but one can still have some fun, especially with the aid of magic!" Her eyes sparkled with mockery.

Harry roared with laughter. "You're wicked, Zelda. Merlin, no wonder he's mad about you. I hope Ginny learns your, er... sense of adventure."

"Don't worry about that," she replied sagely.

"Potter, take your grubby hands off my wife," hissed the Headmaster of Hogwarts sourly. "Zelda, since you ate no breakfast, I've instructed the elves to force-feed you a nourishing bowl of gruel."

Zelda giggled. "I love it when you're high-handed, Sev," she murmured.

He sat on the other side of her, taking note of her teary blue eyes. He picked up her hand and held it firmly. "What did you say to upset her, Potter?" he asked, looking at the younger wizard furiously.

"I said that I love her and I'm worried about her," he replied.

"Impudence," Severus snapped, controlling his expression.

Zelda giggled again. She stood up and, checking to be sure no students were nearby, she sat down in the Headmaster's lap, put her arms around his neck and kissed him. She then put her face against his neck and snuggled against him.

Severus put his arms around her and held her close. His black eyes were haunted, and he realized too late that Harry had seen his terror and sorrow at the thought of losing her.

But Harry, opening his mind easily to him, showed him a similar fear and sadness. There was more too. He saw the younger wizard's love, respect... and worry about /him/.

His own eyes softened slightly, as memories of the child Harry had been, evolved into the years working closely together at Hogwarts. He smiled cynically over the head of his wife at the younger wizard, who had indeed been a son to him for so long.

Harry grinned at him. "D'you want me to say it?" he asked softly.

Severus rolled his eyes. "Bloody hell, no," he replied cynically. "Why on earth would you wish to say it now?" he asked.

"Because I offered him two Knuts if he would," said Zelda, kissing his stubborn chin. "Because you were essentially his father all the time he was at Hogwarts, and you belong together, my dear, adorable dunderheads. Finally, because I love you both and after five decades I'm tired of pretending that you don't love each other dearly."

"Are you finished?" asked Severus forbiddingly.

"Quite," she replied, more composed now. "I believe I'll go find that yummy gruel now," she murmured, rising. "Will you walk back with me?"

"Of course," he replied, adding sourly, "If the circulation returns to my legs any time soon." But he knew she really weighed little more than a bird, and fear clenched his heart.

She glared at him, trying to pretend she didn't see the fear in his black eyes. She blinked back her own tears.

"You two are worse than I am," declared Harry, having watched them closely as their spirits faltered. "Come on, my dear, bloody parents. I think you both need some strengthening gruel and a stiff firewhiskey."

He herded them briskly along, and at one point, decided to cheer up Severus. "Erm... Headmaster, since Zelda told me that kinky shower sex is a bit more difficult after ninety, can you suggest something more practical? I hadn't really thought much about it, until I heard some students speculating about you two sex fiends. But now, I'm most encouraged and wish to plan ahead."

Zelda snorted, stopping and burying her head against her husband's thin shoulder, her own shoulders shaking with mirth.

Severus smiled evilly, "If I must consider you my son, Potter, it would be highly inappropriate to describe my sex life with your mother to you. Perhaps you should ask the Slytherins for suggestions. Their speculations are extremely entertaining. If Zelda and I had not already done all of it ourselves, I would have considered their ideas completely outrageous."

"How do you know what the Slytherins say about our sex life?" asked Zelda, looking up curiously as they walked on.

"Professor Malfoy, of course," replied Severus promptly. "Now that my old House is no longer dominated by pureblood idiocy they have a much healthier, more creative attitude toward sex and fun."

"Bless their little hearts," said Zelda smugly. She flung the door to their suite wide open. "Come in, Harry," she said cheerfully.

On the table were two steaming bowls containing, not gruel, but hot, delicious oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar and walnuts and milk. A pot of tea and three cups were also there.

"The elves want you to share my feast," she told her beloved, in a voice that brooked no refusal. "Harry, have some tea."

The fresh air had made Zelda hungrier than usual, so the two wizards were treated to the pleasing sight of her finishing every bite of her oatmeal.

"Are you satisfied?" she asked acerbically. "It was delicious. But since it's Saturday, I'd planned to take a relaxing soak in the tub and lounge a bit. You two darling boys stay here and bond."

She rose to her feet rather carefully, kissed each of them in passing and headed toward the bedchamber.

Both wizards watched her leave, then looked cautiously at each other.

"Come and sit by the fire," said Severus resignedly, since his own bones had lately grown chill-prone and arthritic. "I suppose this conversation is inevitable."

"Long overdue?" suggested Harry as they seated themselves.

"Only if you go by my sweet wife's opinion," replied Severus. His attention wandered briefly into the future. "I am actually glad it has come today. I have known for some time what the future holds, and you are, unfortunately, the proper person to hear it."

"I don't like the sound of that," said Harry. "What am I Chosen to do this time?"

"Idiot. Our lives have been joined by destiny since before your birth, as you well know." The Headmaster's harsh face softened, and he smiled faintly into the green eyes. "It was... difficult... between us during your childhood, wasn't it? Yet, I cannot imagine what my life would have been without you."

Harry was struggling to master his unruly emotions. He managed to say, "Without me, you'd still have had Zelda."

Severus rolled his eyes. "Good try, Potter," he said coolly. "But if you had not moved heaven and earth to get me out of Azkaban, I'd have died there. You have given me a long and splendid life. My wife, my children, my life's work, all that I've had, is because of you. I should have thanked you every day, but I thank you now for giving me my life."

"You saved my life more times than I can count," returned Harry, frowning. "In spite of the fact that I was a disgusting little shit to you, for all those years. It's thanks to you that I didn't face Voldemort alone, Sir, and that afterward, I was able to go on with my life. Without you and Zelda, I'd have been a mess. Instead, I have my own wife, a family and those insufferable grandchildren infesting the halls of this school. Also a teaching career that's been more rewarding than I ever imagined."

Severus studied the younger wizard. "Your eyes are still like Lily's, you know. I regret that she never saw you grow to manhood. She'd have been extremely proud of you."

Harry smiled. "Everything good in my life's come to me, thanks to you, Severus Snape. I love you, you know."

The black eyes were filled with affection. "I've loved you for a very long time, you insufferable brat. Only you have the good sense to treat me with the disrespect I am accustomed to, instead of the dreary reverence offered to the Headmaster."

Harry chuckled. "Zelda's always said we're a dysfunctional pair."

Severus smiled. "As usual, my sweet girl is right." He paused, growing serious.

"Harry, Zelda is very well, for her age, but we know she cannot go on much longer. I have planned for the future of Hogwarts and my possessions, such as they are. Owning things has long been a burden to us, so there is not much left. But if you wish for anything that is mine or Zelda's, you have but to ask."

The younger man shook his head, he was beyond words, yet knew there was more to come.

"I do not wish my life with Zelda to end. It has been sweeter than I imagined possible and I will not part from her. When her time comes to depart this world," said the Headmaster calmly, "I have decided I shall go with her."

The green eyes filled with tears, which spilled down his cheeks. He wanted to scream a wild protest, but never had he changed Professor Snape's mind in the past. Wiping his eyes impatiently, he choked out, "I'll miss you both."

"Thank you," said Severus. He smiled ironically. "I know how difficult it is to let go, since I choose to go with Zelda. But perhaps you may at least be grateful that I didn't ask you to murder me."

Harry chuckled half-heartedly. The wounds of Albus Dumbledore's death had long healed for them both, and they understood that where there had been Dumbledore and Severus, now there was Severus and Harry.

"But you could live longer, couldn't you?" asked Harry softly.

He shook his head. "All these years I've done my duty, to Dumbledore, to Lily's memory, to you... for depriving you of your parents, and to Hogwarts."

The Headmaster paused, searching for the words. "I would have died fifty-two years ago, without Zelda's love and help. My tasks are complete. It will not be today or next week, but when the time comes, I claim the right to pass my duties on to all of you. You're prepared for the task and Hogwarts will be in good hands."

Harry could no longer contain his shocked grief. He put his face in his hands and wept. All the misery and loneliness of his childhood welled up in him as he sobbed, feeling utterly bereft.

Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder. Professor Snape sat down and drew his head against his shoulder, holding Harry for a long time, until he regained control of himself. The two wizards then sat comfortably in front of the fire, next to each other, and talked of the past.

Zelda found them there after her nap, and laughed until she cried to see those two beloved wizards together at last. The three sat together, as always, Zelda between the two wizards, and spent the rest of that day healing the last wounds of the past together. They laughed and shared reminiscences, long into the evening.


&&&&&&&&&


Two years and a half after that day, Harry buried his beloved, unofficial parents together in one grave. He was remarkably calm, having shed most of his grief on that September day in 2048. He had been given over two wonderful years with them, finally feeling loved by Professor Snape. That powerful wizard was truly a part of him now, and would be with him as long as he lived.

There was no ceremony, as such, since Professor and Mrs. Snape had outlived most of their contemporaries and requested to be laid quietly to rest. The grave was in the small Hogwarts cemetery that had grown up around Albus Dumbledore's grave. They were buried was next to Michael Fletcher, who had died some ten years earlier, and most absurdly, by the unmarked grave of their old dog, Rowena. He smiled contentedly as he remembered the moment that he watched them pass - together - into that next great adventure.

"Harry? Are you ready to come home?" Ginny asked gently, leading him away. She had been, along with Harry, the last to see Severus Snape alive. While she still felt sorrow, the end had been sweet and loving, so there was no need to grieve for two lovers who'd gone into eternity together, as they had lived.

It was Ginny's experience as a Healer that allowed Zelda to spend the last days of her life at Hogwarts, cared for in the familiar rooms she'd lived in for so long. There had been no pain; the Muggle woman's body had simply worn out, so that gradually she slept longer and longer.

Severus had not left the room those last two days. All was prepared for the end and all that mattered to him was their bond. He spoke gently with his wife when she was awake, and frequently held her. The last hours, when she no longer responded to him, had been torture to him.

"How can you simply die with her?" Harry had asked, worried now whether it would really work. He could see that Severus was already growing distant, impatient to be with his wife.

"My dear Harry, magic is all a matter of intention, isn't it?" replied Severus. "We are soul-bonded, my Zelda and I. We promised long ago that neither of us will go without the other."

He caressed his wife's thin white curls tenderly. "It is time," he said. He held his arms out and embraced Harry one last time.

"We'll see each other again, won't we?" asked Harry.

"Of course, we will," said Severus, kissing his cheek. "Thank you, my dear son."

He embraced Ginny. "Thank you, Ginny. Take care of each other, children," he murmured softly. "As Zelda and I did."

She was weeping and clung to Harry as they watched Severus climb eagerly onto the bed with his beloved wife.

He pulled Zelda gently into his arms and held her as her breathing gradually slowed.

"Sweetheart, I am here now," he murmured, kissing her hair. Then his eyes closed and his own breathing slowed, becoming shallower... until it ceased at the same moment that hers did.

There was silence for a moment, so they thought it was over, but Severus opened his black eyes suddenly, and fixed them intently on something he alone could see. A joyous smile transformed his harsh face and he murmured clearly, "My Zelda..."


The End
Sign up to rate and review this story