Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > A Doll's Resemblance

It Does Not Care

by sesshyfanchick 2 reviews

0__o

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Kagome, Sesshoumaru - Published: 2006-12-15 - Updated: 2006-12-16 - 5312 words

2Exciting
Here's the next chappeh!! Please read and review, but most importantly...ENJOY!



CHAPTER 5: IT DOES NOT CARE


Red, the color of her blood dripped off of his elegant chin, his face expressionless.

"Human blood has a foul odor."
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

'Blood. My blood is on his chin,' she thought to herself, her eyes wide and filled with perplexing shock. What had happened to the safe reality she used to live in, where all things were normal and a part of everyone's everyday life? Had her sense of reality shriveled until there was nothing left but dust? Like a piece of paper lit with a bright orange flame of fire. Her sense of thought was lost somewhere in her bewildered brain, looking for a place to rest in peace from all that was awkward and down right impossible. The doll, the one that she had found out could move and talk, had almost tried to commit suicide, ran throughout her house without a clue as to where it was going, and...licked her. Yes, licked her. The word "licked" not being used in the old n' days reference of being beaten, but actual tongue to flesh action.

She didn't even notice his tiny tongue trail up to where the knife gash was, which was still letting out a steady stream of dark, red blood. She winced as she felt him slide across the fresh cut, as if one were sealing an envelope. He retreated from her arm, sitting back to look at his job well done, as if he were an artist inspecting his latest work of art. She watched as his tiny, pale finger came up to stroke against the nub of his chin, wiping the blood off in the process. He wiped the remaining blood on her bed sheet.

'That little...it's gonna' be so hard to get that off,' she thought ferociously, trying not to scream at the aloof doll before her. Her musings were cut short when something finally clicked in her brain. She looked at her arm. There was still a long trail of blood running down the length of her arm, but it seemed to have...stopped.

"It doesn't sting anymore," she whispered into the darkness, trying to calm her breath. "It's healed!" She shot her head towards Sesshoumaru, who was no longer sitting silently by her side. A whelm of fear began to coil itself within her body. But before that fear could fully kick itself into full gear, she calmed down again. She looked straight ahead, towards the end of the bed.

He was just sitting there, his intense golden orbs piercing into her for the umpteenth time that night. What was she supposed to do? Tell him thank you? Kagome mentally screamed a "no" inside her head. First of all, if people caught her thanking a doll...well that was just a one trip ticket to the insane asylum right there, and second...she doubted that he'd give a care anyway.

Kagome shifted in her seat, clearly uncomfortable with the awkward silence. She looked towards her digital clock. It read 3:00. She let out a silent sigh. She didn't expect that she'd be up till 3:00 in the morning. Deciding that it was pointless to continue sleeping (she wouldn't even want to sleep knowing that he was alive and awake), Kagome concluded that she might as well stay up for the rest of the morning until school started. A light sparked in her head. First thing in the morning, maybe at least an hour before school even started; she'd go to back to that voodoo shop. Maybe then she'd be able to get at least some information out of that eccentric weirdo...what's his name?

"Rii," Kagome hissed, hating the way it sounded when she said it. There were no words to describe how much she wanted to wring his pretty little neck. After all the trouble he's put her through, tomorrow, definitely tomorrow he was going to get a firm talking to. Kagome was practically ready to jump out of bed and run down to his shop at the very moment, but she thought otherwise. He probably wasn't even there and plus...it was still dark out.

Now it was time to deal with more difficult matters. Her eyes rested upon the sitting form of Sesshoumaru, who was still seated at the end of the bed. He was no longer looking at her, instead staring at a dark red spot on the bed sheets where he had earlier wiped her blood on. She still couldn't get over the fact of his appearance. He looked so god like, ethereal even. His silver hair glowed with a vibrant animosity, the moon speckling its shining vale of light down upon him. Creepy, yet eerily beautiful. And the eyes. She couldn't forget about his eyes. A strange color indeed, dark gold, yet they pierced whomever they lay their boring gaze upon. Enough to make her freak out.

"Sesshoumaru," Kagome started, although her voice came out in a dry whisper. Maybe she needed some more water. He did not move, merely averted his gaze back upon her. Kagome gulped and tried her best to not notice that he was looking at her, rather intensely she might add.

"Ummm..."she continued. "Thank you." There she said it. Although she had not wanted to do, she still deemed it rude to simply not thank someone properly, even though if that someone was a doll, when they have at least helped you in some way or the other. He gave her no welcome, just merely looked away from her. Perhaps he thought that her apology was not suitable enough, yet she did hear him call her blood human. There was also a possible theory that he hated...humans. She thought upon that. Sesshoumaru clearly was not human; he was some sort of magical doll, so it made sense if he had grown to hate her kind. Who wouldn't? How would you feel if you were stuck inside a plastic box, hung on some shelf where hundreds of greedy little eyes stared at you as if you were some sideshow freak?

She shook her head of the thought. It wasn't time to dawdle on silly little fantasies. Right now, she had to set things straight with Sesshoumaru. Whether he listened to her or not.

"We have to set some ground rules," she spoke, climbing her legs out of the tangled mass of blankets and resting them on top of the bed's surface. Sesshoumaru didn't seem to really care of what she said, but at least he looked at her when she had spoken so he was at least listening a little bit.

"Alright, I'm going to be talking to you...a lot," she continued. "I don't care if you don't reply back, I'm just asking you to listen." She waited for his answer, her brown orbs quivering in anticipation. Of course, he said nothing, did nothing. She just saw his eyes shift from her, towards a floating dust speck.

'I'll take that as a yes then,' she thought amusedly. If he wasn't going to say anything, fine. But she was sure going to talk up a storm. She had to made sure if he wasn't some sort of evil spirit sent to harm her and her family. She at least had to make him promise not to hurt her.

"Okay then," she perked up, cracking her knuckles. It wasn't going to be easy, but hey, you at least had to try and have some fun with it. "I don't know exactly what you are. Well, I know that you're a doll, but most dolls don't suddenly spring to life and start moving and talking of their own free will. I really didn't believe in all that magic stuff, well now I do because of you, but that's not my point. My point is...I just want you to behave." Kagome bit her lip, her face growing hot.

'Behave, oh lord. I could've come up with something better than that,' she said to herself. She gave herself a quick mental slap before presuming on.

"What I mean is," she began, noticing the way Sesshoumaru's right eye had quirked up in a confusing manner. "I just need you to...not be evil. I'm not saying that you are, it's just I want to be sure. I have a family and all, and I need to protect them. I'm not sure if you're a good doll or a bad doll, but I at least need a promise from you." She took in a deep breath and continued.

"I need you to promise me that you won't harm me, my friends, or any of my family. Is that clear?" This time she expected an answer and hopefully it was one that she wanted to hear. If he were to refuse the promise or not even agree on a compromise, then she had to get rid of him. She wouldn't put her family's life at steak just because she was gullible enough to buy into his little act. Kagome pleaded with her eyes, silently telling him that that was all she wanted. She just didn't want any trouble, that's all.

It seemed like ages before she finally saw him tilt his little head down in a slight nod. Kagome let out the breath she had been holding, letting a small smile crease upon her face. At least she had gotten his word. She couldn't place it exactly, but he didn't seem the type to fool around. He looked serious enough, what with all the threatening death glares he always threw at her. And his face held nothing but a placid feel to it; there would be no room for trickery. With that in mind, she decided to ease up on the matter. At least she didn't have to worry about her family and friends anymore. But now, there was the matter on finding out why Rii gave him to her, and what Sesshoumaru really was.

There was always that clouded aspect. She knew that it would probably be a while until she figured out the exact truth behind the doll that was Sesshoumaru, but she guessed she could manage without fuss. In but a few more hours, she'd be able to at least somewhat appease her yearning questions. She'd make Rii talk if he refused to.

'Might as well put on my school uniform right now,' she thought, getting up from the bed and headed over towards the closet. She opened the sliding closet doors and reached her hand in. She plucked a green sailor suit shirt from off of a wire hanger and did the same to the adjacent hanger, pulling off the folded green skirt that hung there. She placed the garments in her arms and headed over towards her desk. She pulled open one of the doors containing her underwear and what not, and pulled out a white bra and pink panties.

She turned around and looked at Sesshoumaru, who was still sitting silently at the foot of her bed. He in turn stared up at her, his golden eyes gleaming in the dark.

"I'm gonna' go change," she explained, heading towards the hallway. "I'll be right back, so please...don't go anywhere."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

He stared about the room where she had left him. This was really his first time in many a century since he had seen the darkness of the night, the moon beaming down like a raging torrent of pale water. Although, the tiny room did somewhat suppress that effect, only allowing a sliver of the moon to shine through a sort of clear barrier. It wasn't as if he cared though, he had nothing to feel sad about. He gazed about the room, where his eyes passed a rectangular black object with red writing. Many things had changed since the last time he was out, even the people had.

Sesshoumaru averted his gaze to his lap. It was that witch, that human born witch who had made him as such. She had never let him roam free, just encased him in that infernal box. Oh well, it wasn't as if dolls needed fresh air. He was out now and that was all that mattered.

His mind moved towards the girl, the owner of the room he was now in. The little human wench, or so he liked to think of her. She was the one who had awakened him, freed him from his cage of imprisonment. Although he did not require the need of the outside world, it still had felt very stifling in that tiny space. And now, he had pledged to a human. The little human wench had asked him to not harm her, her friends, or her family but she did not say anything about harming other people besides them.

Sesshoumaru stretched out a pale, clawed hand and brushed a strand of silvery hair away from his face.

"I must go to her," he whispered.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

Kagome padded her feet down the hall towards her room. She was now dressed in her school attire, which consisted of a green sailor styled shirt and a green skirt. She had been thinking up of how to go about asking Rii questions. Since school started at 7:40, she decided that she'd leave the house at 6:00 and go straight over to the shop. But what if the shop wasn't open at that hour. Kagome sighed. She was at least going to try. If the shop wasn't open, then she could always try after school, but it would have been better if it were in the morning. She thought back to Sesshoumaru. She figured that she was going to have to take him with her, but she didn't know how to go about doing so. Was she supposed to stuff him in her backpack and walk out the door? She doubted that he' d like that. She pictured him giving her another death glare. Once again, Kagome sighed.

She entered into her bedroom to find Sesshoumaru still sitting on the foot of her bed. He hadn't moved, fortunately. Maybe he was going to start cooperating. Kagome dumped her pajamas on the floor next to her bed and sat upon the edge.

"I'm gonna' go back to that shop again," she said quietly. "The one where I got you from." She picked up her head and looked at him. She was relieved that he wasn't staring back.

"But there's one problem," she continued. She looked at him again, expecting him to at least falter at the statement. He did not. "I'm gonna' have to take you with me." She had gotten his attention. His head quirked a bit, his gaze averting towards her. She could already see a death glare about to take place in his golden orbs, so obviously he wasn't going to be easy to persuade. She had to get him to go, to find out what he was, where he came from, what was causing him to move and talk like he did. All these questions, she had to figure them out or else rest was useless to her.

"Please," she begged, scooting closer to where he was sitting. She looked at him, trying to get eye contact but instead he shifted his eyes towards the bed. She let out a little gasp as he got up and went towards the edge of the bed, sliding himself down the sheets onto the floor with the greatest of ease. She saw him walk gracefully over towards a corner of her desk and seat himself there upon the carpet. He probably didn't want her near him. Yet, she was surprised when his smooth voice spoke,

"I do not see the point in my going."

Kagome quirked an eyebrow. She knew how to respond to that statement, but she really didn't understand why he had said it. So far he had really said nothing to her, just shot her glares from across the bed. A new spark of confidence ignited in her. He was talking of his own free will. Maybe this time she could get something from him.

"It wouldn't make sense if you didn't," Kagome responded. She smiled at her remark. Maybe she was picking up on his lifeless attitude, she really didn't know but she was satisfied. "I need answers and without you there, then...well...it just wouldn't be right. Besides, maybe I could get Rii into taking you back."

She saw his eyes widen a fraction. Maybe she hit a sore spot. He remained silent after that, his lifeless form just sitting upon the ground. He really did look just like an ordinary doll.

"Rii," he said softly, not bothering if Kagome heard or not. Kagome inwardly nodded her head.

"Yeah," she chided. "He's the one that gave me to you. Do you know him?" She waited for him to talk; watching how his pale little fingers fiddled with the fabric of her carpet.

"No," he said coolly. Kagome quirked her head. So he didn't know Rii then. That was odd, surely he would have known something about Rii's presence, but she guess he didn't. Of course, all those questions would be answered in about two hours since it was already 4:07.

"Alright," she said, getting up from the bed and grabbing her yellow backpack that she had flung on the floor. Might as well go downstairs and wait for six o' clock to come. She draped the pack over her right shoulder and moved to stand in front of Sesshoumaru. He eyed her towering form, his eyes slanting down in a shape of warning.

"May I?" she said, opening her arms and laying them out in front of her. She just wanted to take him downstairs. She knew he'd probably have some sort of trouble getting down the stairs, although he scaled them just perfectly before. Besides, he might run off and then she'd never be able to find him on time. His silence served as a yes. Kagome gently reached down and wrapped her fingers around his waist, lifting him up into the air. She felt him move a little, the kimono he was wearing shifting against her fingers.

She smiled when she came up with a sitting position for him. She could put him on her shoulder; maybe then it'd be less awkward.

"Hey, you wanna' try sitting on my shoulder?" she asked him, looking down at his small form. In turn, he glared at her. Didn't he do anything besides glare? Sure, he was a doll but she'd never expect him to act exactly like one. Maybe that was just it. He was a doll. A figurine made out of porcelain. Inanimate objects didn't have a sense of feeling or emotion; she supposed maybe that was the problem for his lack of emotion.

She moved Sesshoumaru onto her shoulder, not caring if he wanted to go up there or not. He took the open seat without fret and sat upon the space. She felt his tiny fingers clutch onto the fabric of her uniform shirt.

"Okay, let's head downstairs," she said.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

It was almost time to go. Kagome had scribbled down on a piece of paper explaining her whereabouts to her family. She had written that she was going in early to get a seat at the computer lab for an unfinished project at school.

"Sesshoumaru," she called out, averting her gaze towards him. His head perked from his seat on the living room couch where he was silently sitting. She went over to him and stood before him.

"You ready?" she asked. Of course, there was no point in even asking. She already knew that he wouldn't respond, but it never hurt to ask. Without waiting for a reply, because she knew that she wouldn't get one, she scooped him up from his perch and sat him down next to her backpack. He eyed it wearily, obviously realizing that the yellow backpack was meant for him to get into. He then lifted his head and glared at her.

She blushed. It was the only way that she was going to get him safely to the shop without people staring at her or trying to cause her trouble.

"It'll only be for a little while," she explained kneeling down to his level. Her fingers fumbled with the straps of her backpack. "The shops not that far from here, besides...it's a bit cold outside." She mentally slapped herself. She could have at least come up with a better explanation than that.

"The cold does not affect me," he said softly, his piercing gaze staring her down. Kagome sighed.

"Speak for yourself," she mumbled. Kagome regained her stance and slipped the backpack on around her shoulders. If he didn't want to get in, then she wasn't going to make him. In a way, it was a bit cruel so she had to side with him on that.

"Alright, you win," Kagome sighed and scooped him up in her arms. "I'm just gonna' have to carry you all the way over there then." A very embarrassing task indeed, but she had to get the job done. Thankfully, it was early enough for there to not be that many people out and about. Although, it was going to look rather awkward. A grown girl, sixteen years of age walking around the streets with a doll in her hands. Very nice.

And with that thought in mind, she slid open the front sliding door and walked out into the crisp morning air.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

"Kagome!"

Kagome halted in her tracks, her eyes widening. She hoped that she hadn't heard whom she thought she heard. An overwhelming sense of panic began to rise within her body. She prayed to the gods that it wasn't...him.

She heard the sound of shoes scuffling against the pavement from behind her. Obviously, the person was trying to catch up to her by running. The running faded down into a brief walk and the person of wonder had entered along side her.

"Hi...Hojo," Kagome greeted, trying to hide the disappointment in her voice. She really did not want to deal with him now. Besides, the guy was nuts when it came to her.

"I didn't know you had zero period too," Hojo said to her, running his hand through his light brown hair.

"I don't," Kagome replied, quickening her pace. She was almost at the shop. One more block and she was there, only...she just had to get rid of Hojo in time. She wouldn't know what to do if he were to somehow mingle in her little predicament. And she definitely did not want him coming with her into the shop. It would be very odd indeed.

"So," Hojo cut in, sensing the detachment of Kagome's voice. "What brings you here so bright and early in the morning?" Kagome glimpsed at Sesshoumaru. Surprisingly, he had not spoken or moved since Hojo had arrived. He was just sitting there, limp in her arms just as if he were nothing but an ordinary, lifeless doll. Kagome inwardly sighed in relief. If Hojo found out that she had a living doll, then everything would go haywire.

"I'm just taking a walk is all," Kagome responded, trying her best to sound cheerful. Any falter in her voice could lead to his suspicion. She watched as Hojo's gaze went from her face to Sesshoumaru. His eyebrow quirked and his mouth opened slightly.

"Why are you carrying a doll?" he asked, his voice coming out slow. She knew he was going to ask that and she wasn't entirely prepared to give an answer. All she wanted was a trouble free trip to the voodoo shop, although...the voodoo shop in itself was trouble.

"Why does the doll have fangs?" Hojo's voice floated into Kagome's ears. She wasn't really paying attention, but the word "fangs" got her to wake up. She found Hojo staring at her oddly, eyes slanted in suspicion. Did he just say that Sesshoumaru had fangs? She had never noticed any fangs on him; well that was probably due to the fact that he hadn't opened his mouth to let her observe. Like he would.

She looked back down at Sesshoumaru. Everything remained the same; his lips were closed, his gaze staring into oblivion. Why would Hojo say that he had fangs?

"Fangs?" she questioned, lifting up her head to stare at him with wide eyes.

"Yeah, he...they're gone," he whispered. He scratched his head with his index finger and continued to stare at Kagome then back at Sesshoumaru. "I could have sworn that he had them, I saw something glint..."

Kagome was starting to think that Hojo was lying. But Hojo was a good, respectable guy, a little bit clingy but overall okay. She wouldn't know why he had seen fangs on Sesshoumaru, but she was just going to leave it as is. Right now, she had to worry about getting to the shop.

"I'm sorry Hojo, but I gotta' go," Kagome said cheerily, putting on her best smile. "We could hang out at some other time, but for now...bye!" Kagome waved goodbye to him, leaving him to stand there on the corner of the street staring after her.

"Phew," Kagome sighed under her breath. She thought she would never be able to leave him, but luckily he was easy to dismiss. She felt Sesshoumaru flinch a little in her arms due to her brisk walking. She guessed he was trying to refrain from anybody seeing that he could move and talk, which was why he was so still in her arms when Hojo had arrived. She'd have to thank him later for that.

Kagome squinted her eyes. She could make out the tiny shop from where she was walking. Her pace quickened. Just a few more steps and she'd be there, free to ask as many questions as she could possibly ask. She smiled when the same gray, wooden sign that hung above the ancient doorway greeted her eyes. Yet, her smile was soon replaced by a frown when she read the sign under it.

Closed.

"Man!" Kagome muttered quietly in a raspy whisper. She almost risked Sesshoumaru being found out for nothing. She was really hoping that the shop would be open, but it was only around 6:00. Most stores were closed right about that time.

Her hopes trampled and defeated, Kagome let out a long sigh. It was as if she were always sighing now. She stared down at Sesshoumaru, who was staring through one of the shops dusty windows. It was his entire fault. If he hadn't barged into her personal space, then she'd still be living a normal, everyday life. She wouldn't have to worry about keeping her family and friends safe, making sure that nobody saw that he could move or talk. She was only in high school for crying out loud. This was just too much!

A realization soon hit her. Where was she going to keep Sesshoumaru? She couldn't go all the way back home, that would waste too much time. The shop was closed, so there was no possible way of leaving him there. There was only one suggestion.

Take him to school.

She had to, although that prospect didn't bode very well for her. How was she to go about bringing him there? Stuff him in her backpack and carry him around all day. Too risky, he could easily get broken. Yet it was the only option left. Kagome felt the salty sting of tears begin to form within her eyes. Things were just getting too difficult now. She didn't want to be carrying him around all day. What if someone discovered him? There would be more than just a few odd stares.

Kagome slid to the ground, still cradling Sesshoumaru's form within her arms. Again she would have to explain to him of the current situation at hand. She slid him into her lap, so that he wouldn't hit the dirty concrete floor. It would be a terrible shame if his kimono were to get dirty. She looked at him once more. He was staring at her, a look of aloof oblivion stretched out upon his face. There was no glare, no quirking of a white eyebrow. There was only one word to describe his expression: nothing. She wondered how he could go about doing that, keeping an emotionless mask of nothing plastered upon his face. She certainly wouldn't be able to do that. Kagome felt and expressed too many emotions to keep them locked up. She was always feeling happy, sad, excited, angry... almost every shade of feeling there was to be felt. She couldn't understand how he could pull it off so efficiently.

"You are... distressed."

A looming voice, so smooth and baritone-like clouded her vision. Kagome had to blink once or twice before realizing that the voice had belonged to Sesshoumaru. She stared oddly at him, obviously surprised that he had even pointed out her state of disappointment.

"It's just, well... you see," she stuttered, trying to find the words she so desperately wanted to say. "It's just... hard. I was hoping that the shop would be open." She raised her hand to her face and brushed aside a long strand of raven hair that had floated down in front of her face.

"You are distraught over such a witless thing," he said, his voice holding no emotion. Kagome picked up her drooping head; her brow set in a chisel.

"It's not witless," she protested, staring within the depths of his eyes. "I mean, I was so hopeful that I'd be able to get at least some of my questions answered today. I was really looking forward to getting some info, but now... the damn shop isn't even open." Sesshoumaru remained silent for a while. His eyes shifted downward, really looking at nothing in particular.

"I see no point in dawdling over senseless issues," he said calmly. A gust of wind brushed through the air, picking up his silver hair and splaying it out against the wind. Kagome bit her lip. So, he had thought that all of her feelings of hope and excitement were pointless now? She thought differently.

"How can you say that?" she started, settling her gaze upon his face. He did not look her. "Haven't you ever been hopeful? Haven't you ever believed in something with all your might, that it made you feel...well...happy; accomplished?" She was somewhat frizzled at his statement. How could he say that? Then that would mean that everything that anybody ever hoped for, ever accomplished was for nothing; it meant little. It seemed as if years had passed, the sound of ruffling leaves in the distance scattering like enchanted wind chimes against the morning air, the crisp breeze flowing about her hair and leaving her skin chilled. And then he finally answered,

"I am incapable of feeling emotion."



5th chappeh complete! I'm sorry that I didn't update in a while, but I had to think of the plot. Well, NEXT CHAPPY WILL TAKE PLACE AT HER SCHOOL...and yes...Sesshoumaru's going too! I finally got out that he's incapable of feeling emotion. I just wanted to stretch that out. He's exactly like a doll, he feels nothing. I though that would spice up the plot a bit. Kind of like forbidden romance. How're you supposed to luv someone who has not the capability of loving back? I luv the forbidden romance stuff, like humans falling in love with robots, demons, ghosts. Awesome XD! THANK YOU FOR READING, NOW PLEASE REVIE!!. I LUV READING ALL YOUR REVIEWS, IT MAKES ME SO HAPPEH XD!!
Sign up to rate and review this story