Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > A Doll's Resemblance

It Scratches

by sesshyfanchick 0 reviews

it scratches...o.o;

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Kagome, Sesshoumaru - Published: 2007-04-04 - Updated: 2007-04-04 - 3846 words

0Unrated
Ne, I'm sooooo sorreh for takin' such a long time to update. Anyways, here's the 6th chappeh!! Please review, but most importantly...ENJOY!!!

Chapter 6: It Scratches
Any one would have been at least a little bit shocked if you found out someone had the incapability to feel emotion. Kagome sure did. As her shoes padded against the concrete ground, she began to think back upon his reply. So she was right then. He was just a doll, an inanimate object that had not the reason to feel emotion and feelings. She didn't know why, but her heart sank at that. She couldn't quiet place it, but to know that whenever she felt distressed, happy, angry, depressed...he would not even care. She didn't know how long he was going to stay with her, yet there was still a possibility for something to go even more haywire than it already was without him helping the situation whatever it may be.

So lost in her thoughts, Kagome almost didn't notice the hordes of young people walking in mass groups ahead of her. She had arrived at her school. She had decided back at the shop that she was going to have to take him with her, whether he liked it or not. She sighed as she remembered how difficult it was to convince him to get inside her backpack. To hell with carrying him. All he had given her were piercing death glares when she even mentioned the idea.

She made sure that she was walking a steady pace. After all, he was getting a free joyride inside her backpack and she didn't want to accidentally run into someone, which meant there was a potential chance of Sesshoumaru getting damaged. She entered upon the school grounds, passing by the faces of Japans young people who were happily chatting away about the latest gossip. She climbed up the stone steps of the main building and entered into the hallways.

'So far so good,' she thought to herself. Kagome was almost at the end of the hallway when she heard a piercing scream come from behind her.

"Kagome, Kagome!"

She halted in her tracks. It was only a matter of time before it charged.

"One, two..." Kagome ticked off the seconds. A slender girl with short blackish brown hair hopped in place next to Kagome. Her brown eyes were dancing wildly with anticipation and she had a huge smile plastered onto her face.

"Hi, Yuka," Kagome grinned, trying to hide the fact that she didn't want to stop and chitchat. Yuka merely laughed and smacked her on the back.

'Good god!' Kagome screamed within her mind. Couldn't she just get a break today?! First Hojo had flagged her down, the shop that she had set her sights on was closed, and her friend had just unintentionally smacked Sesshoumaru! What was next?!

A long silence overwhelmed the air. Kagome turned to face Yuka, thus hiding her back from view; she didn't want her to smack him again. Yuka stared greedily at Kagome, her face forming an expression of expectance. What was she staring at her like that for?

"Can I help you?" Kagome asked hesitantly. She saw a small frown etch itself upon Yuka's face.

"You know very well what I'm waiting for," Yuka said stoutly, tapping her white shoes onto the polished floor of the hallway. At first, Kagome had no idea what Yuka was talking about. She had nothing to give her, did she? Then, it hit her. Like a massive loading train careening off course from the railroad tracks.

"The love potion!" Kagome said aloud. She had forgotten about that. Yuka had sent her to get the love potion from the shop; that was her whole purpose on ever being there anyway. She was relieved when she remembered that she had already thought it out. She was simply going to tell Yuka that they didn't have the stuff.

"About that," she began, scratching her head. "They didn't have it. Well, it was nice talking to ya' but I gotta' go!" Kagome was halted when a firm hand placed itself on her shoulder. Kagome fearfully turned her head. She shriveled. Yuka could be very scary at times.

"We have...Geometry together," Yuka's voice came out in a dark whisper. Kagome gave up and smiled at her. She forgot that they both had the first class together.

"Well! What're you waiting for?" And with that, the two girls took off down the rest of the hallway and entered into Geometry class.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

The first three periods of class passed in a whiff. Kagome was confused at how much time had passed, and now it was already lunch! Kagome sneaked out of History class, mobbing her way through the masses of students trying to get to their cars on time for off-campus lunch. Kagome went up a flight of stairs, heading towards a remote part of the school that people rarely ever went to. The rooftop was the best place to hang out if you didn't want anyone hanging out with you. Of course, she had never been up there since she was constantly surrounded by Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi but now was the opportune moment to test it out.

Kagome came upon a black, wood chipped door where a white sign hung from the door reading, "Rooftop". She turned the brass handle and continued her journey up another flight of stairs. Once she got to the door that led her directly to the rooftop, she gently removed her backpack from around her shoulders and placed it out in front of her. She turned the doorknob and stepped outside.

The wind hit her forcefully with a vast gust of cold air. Her raven hair danced alongside the winds gentle song. She walked over towards one corner of the rooftop, sitting down upon the floor and placing her backpack in her lap. She began to unzip the zipper and managed to get it fully open. She peered inside.

A pair of glaring yellow eyes met her gaze.

"Sorry," she said quietly. She tried to hide the smile that was threatening to break through across her face. She reached inside her backpack, wrapping her fingers around Sesshoumaru's small waist and gently lifted him out. As soon as he came in contact with the air, his silver hair flew out in many different directions, his yukata sleeves flapping in the breeze.

"Doesn't that breeze feel nice?" she asked him, placing him atop her backpack. Of course, all he did was just shoot her another glare. It was weird how he did that without letting any other expression take place on his face.

Kagome crossed her legs, crushing her green school skirt down to the ground with the palm of her hands. She looked up at the sky, suddenly transfixed by the appearance of the clouds moving slowly up above. After a brief period of silence, she averted her gaze back to the ground and glimpsed at Sesshoumaru's sitting form. He looked so majestic, even if he was sitting on top of a cheap yellow backpack on the roof of a school building. She loved the way his hair flowed in the breeze, like silvery wisps of smoke swirling into the air. She was so transfixed by his appearance that she barely noticed that he too was also looking at her with a stern glint in his eye.

He was watching her, maybe a little bit too stiffly at best. Kagome could feel her face begin to warm up. She quickly looked away, amazed by her own reaction. Why in the world did she blush? He was a freaking doll for crying out loud; nothing to be so embarrassed about!

She felt nervous, albeit a little jittery. What if she couldn't act like herself anymore around him? Kagome let out a small gasp. There was no way she would let her personal feelings get in the way. She had to suck it up and not let him get away with the prize of him seeing her so distorted.

'Like at the voodoo shop,' she thought. She had let him see that brief period of total hopelessness and she had promised from there on that she would never allow him the privilege to ever see it again.

"Your face changes too often."

Kagome peered up over at Sesshoumaru. He was still staring at her, a small flick of confusion hidden within the depths of his eyes. He probably meant that her expressions changed too quickly. She always seemed to do that when she was deeply thinking about something.

The paralyzing sound of the school bell woke her from her musings, signaling that lunch was over and it was time for her to go back to her classes. She glanced at Sesshoumaru.

"Umm. I need to put you back in now," Kagome crawled over to her backpack and outstretched her hand. What surprised her was that he didn't flinch back like he usually did when she was about to touch him in any way. And...she couldn't fight the blush that was threatening to consume her face when she caught his piercing gaze once more.

'He's staring at me again,' she thought nervously. Trying to push the thought away, she wrapped her fingers around his slender body and positioned him to enter inside her backpack. All the while, his gaze never left hers.

With that done, she gently slung the backpack straps over her shoulders and headed for the door that led down to the school. Kagome's brain was buzzing lightly. Why had he stared at her like that?

'And he didn't back away this time,' she thought confidently. Although that was a very positive step, she still couldn't get rid of those piercing gold eyes.

Kagome merely shook her head and headed down through the staircase.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

It was now the last period of the day, English class. She didn't technically like English but she was pretty good at it anyway. Enough to get her a steady B in the class. She was at least glad that it was the end of the day, which meant she was closer towards getting to the voodoo shop than ever. She was practically fidgeting in her seat, chewing on the purple plastic that was her lead pencil while the tip of her shoe was tapping vigorously onto the floor.

"Okay then, class," Mr. Tachibana drawled. He shuffled the stack of paper in his hands and motioned for the class to come to order. "We will be having a pop quiz today, so I all want you to take out a clean sheet of paper and a number two pencil so we can begin." The class around her awed in unison, but did as they were told. Soon the room was echoing with students rustling through their binders to get out paper and unzipping their backpacks for pencils to write with.

Once getting her supplies out, Kagome took the paper that were handed to her from the girl in front of her. Since she was the last person in the row, she didn't have to worry about stretching her hand out to give it to the next person behind her. And then, she began the quiz.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxD

Kagome was about halfway through with the quiz when she suddenly felt something cold and solid prod into her right arm. She looked to her right and saw one of her classmates (she didn't know him too well to remember his name) mouthing off words to her. She stared at him confusedly and averted her gaze back down to her paper.

Once again, she felt the same plastic poke prod into her arm. She jerked her head towards him.

"What?" she hissed at him.

"What's the answer to number 21?" he whispered. Kagome clenched her teeth. Was that what he wanted her for? Well, she wasn't going to give him the damned answer for all she knew. That would be cheating, and why should he get an answer right if he didn't know the material. All she'd be doing was helping him get through with his life by taking the easy path.

"Do it yourself," she whispered, looking down at her paper once again. For the third time, she felt the plastic prod into her arm a little more sharply than before. Kagome felt the spike in her anger rise dangerously high.

"Come on, don't be such a pansy, just tell me already!" he whispered harshly.

"No!" she whispered, glancing over at the teacher to make sure he hadn't caught them exchanging their sentences. Fortunately, he hadn't seemed to notice.

"Come on- Ow!" he yelped. Kagome stared at him oddly, wondering at what caused his sudden outburst of pain. She looked down at her backpack when she heard a faint rustling noise resound from beneath her desk. She could have sworn she saw silver.

She returned her gaze back to the boy and saw him lift up his pant leg. There were three heavy gash marks running along his calf, each of them letting out a steady stream of blood.

"Why the fuck did ya' do that for?!" he screamed at her, his hand still holding up his pant leg. "Shit fucking hurts like...-"

"Iinko, I will not tolerate such language in my class, now tell me what has caused you to disturb the other students from taking their quizzes?" Mr. Tachibana asked, making his way over towards Iinko.

Iinko ceased his foul language and shot a dirty glare at Kagome. She widened her eyes in response. What was that for?

"She fucki- freaking scratched me or something!" he shouted, sending an accusing finger towards Kagome. She clammed up, sensing the stares from her fellow classmate's land upon her. She dropped her pencil and stared at Iinko, then at Mr. Tachibana. She had done absolutely nothing wrong to deserve such a witless accusation! Surely, Mr. Tachibana would see it her way...hopefully.

"Is this true, Higurashi?" Mr. Tachibana asked her, sending his eyes to rest upon her. His face was stern and she could tell that he really did not want his class to be interrupted by such a petty scenario.

"N-no, sir. I didn't do anything," she said. She mentally kicked herself for not sounding too convincing.

"Then why's there blood on your backpack?" Iinko asked loudly, pointing towards the yellow heap that was her backpack. Kagome followed his finger and rested her eyes upon her pack. It did indeed have blood on it. Kagome was at a lost for words. Her backpack was sitting snuggly all the way in the far-left corner on the floor, far away from Iinko and his accusing self. How did blood get on her backpack when it was so far away from where he was sitting?

"B-but..." she stammered.

"The blood prolly' dropped from her hand!" he yelled out once more. Mr. Tachibana raised a hand to silence him.

"Iinko, go to the nurse and get that wound patched up," he told him, his eyes still on Kagome. "As for you Higurashi, please see me after class." Kagome was dumbfounded. She felt the inevitable blush starting to rise up upon her cheeks as the awkward stares from her classmates pierced into her. She ducked her head, trying to hide from any further embarrassment. Kagome looked up at the clock. Due to her earlier situation, time had amazingly passed by quickly and before she knew it, the bell had wrung. Everyone zipped up their backpacks and headed for the exit, dumping their quiz papers onto the basket atop of Mr. Tachibana's desk.

Kagome sighed. She hadn't even finished her quiz thanks to Iinko.

"Higurashi," Mr. Tachibana's dull voice echoed about the room. Kagome got up and shuffled her way through the rows of desks, halting at the front of his desk.

"I don't know how that blood got on your backpack, and I find it very hard to think that you could have done this," he started. "But I'm letting you go for now." Kagome felt an overwhelming sense of relief wash over her. At least she wasn't going to get in trouble...today.

"As for the quiz, you can finish it tomorrow at lunch." And with that, Mr. Tachibana got up from his desk and left the room. Kagome returned to her desk and raised her backpack up. She examined it closely. Her eyes widened as she suddenly realized that Sesshoumaru was still in there. She was starting to think that he might have had something to do with the deep gash marks on Iinko's leg. She stared at the unzipped zipper and a thought soon dawned on her.

She had forgotten to zip it back up when she took out the paper she needed for the quiz. She opened the mouth of her backpack wider, peering inside. A pair of fierce golden eyes stared back up at her. He was sitting upright, leaning against her history binder. He seemed perfectly calm, as if nothing of interest had passed during his long minutes trapped within the confounds of her messy backpack. Her peaceful attitude soon dissipated as she saw his bloodstained yukata sleeve. She quickly zipped up her backpack and shoved her pencil into the front pocket of her pack. As she zoomed out the door, she placed her unfinished quiz in the basket and stormed out into the hallway.

She kicked open the school doors, running down the steps and siding back behind the shrouds of a very dense bush. She unzipped her backpack hurriedly and yanked Sesshoumaru out.

"Why the hell did you do that for?!" she shouted at him, trying to keep her voice to a bare minimum. She shot him with a few piercing glares of her own, none of which even phased his non-chalant demeanor. He had practically humiliated her in front of her whole class, cutting Iinko like that. She stared down at his hands, which still had Iinko's blood residue and a bit of flesh embedded within his claws. She inwardly grimaced.

Sesshoumaru had not answered her; he merely stared at her with an air of aloofness.

"I don't need you to make my life any worse than it already is," she hissed at him. Kagome was beyond angry, she had almost gotten in trouble because of him. And there was also the fact that Sesshoumaru actually injured someone, which meant he was perfectly capable of doing it again. Her thoughts wandered to images of her family; all sorts of gashes and cuts ripped up along their lifeless bodies. She shook her head vigorously to rid her of her gory thoughts.

"Just tell me why?!" she demanded, growing steadily angrier at the lack of his concern. She watched as his golden orbs flinched to the side, seemingly staring at nothing.

"You were bothered by him."

Kagome nearly choked on her own spit. She finally managed to gulp, loosening the tight hold she had around Sesshoumaru's waist.

'He scratched him because Iinko was bothering me?' she questioned herself. Kagome couldn't deny the fact that her face had nearly turned scarlet at that thought. She was confused, beyond confused. Why would Sesshoumaru do something like that, for her? She had heard him very clearly earlier that day when he had said that he had no emotions, so why would he care if someone was bothering her or not? Her head was aching slightly and her warm face didn't do much to comfort it either.

"T-thank you," she stammered, turning her head towards the side. She couldn't bear to look at him now, after she ranted and raved to him for something he did purely out of concern for her.

"Your gratitude is wasted human."

Kagome almost fell over. So much for his concern. Kagome simply sighed and decided to leave it at that. She had a voodoo shop to plunder and she wasn't going to waste her time sitting behind a bush talking to a doll. Had she really gone crazy?

She placed him in the crook of her arm while she zippered her backpack shut and slung it over her shoulder. She looked down at him and caught him staring at her.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did you wanna' go back into the backpack again?" she asked, putting on a fake smile. All he did in response was flick his eyes away from her. She took that as a firm "no".

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

She was now standing in front of the door that was the entrance to the voodoo shop. She had made it pretty much okay, despite the stairs from a few people, but she had managed. She still held Sesshoumaru, his light body resting against her stomach. She hadn't spoken to him the whole trip over to the shop and she was okay with that. She didn't feel like talking anyway. Her eyes drifted over to the sign that said "open" and her stomach did a little flip. Finally, after that entire episode of patiently waiting at school, she was finally going to get her questions answered.

She placed her palm on the brass doorknob and turned, pushing open the door. She stepped inside, her nostrils filling in with the scent of the familiar spices she had once wafted in when she first got Sesshoumaru. The door shut with a tiny click behind her, leaving her alone in the small shop. As far as she could see, she was alone. The shop was empty of any human presence.

She caught a glimpse of Sesshoumaru. She watched as his golden eyes darted all about the room, his yellow eye color the only source of light. She unslung her backpack strap from around her shoulder and placed the pack on the dusty wooden floorboards next to an old cabinet. She began walking, heading towards the small register of the shop.

Her padded shoes made light pitter-patter noises against the hard floor. She hugged Sesshoumaru tighter to her body. He stared up at her, sensing the spike in her fear and nervousness. What was there to be so afraid about? He could not understand the girl sometimes; her face portrayed too many emotions. Of course, half of those emotions he couldn't quite register and if he could feel emotion himself, then he would have said that it annoyed him to no end.

Kagome darted her eyes back and forth, trying to find the familiar silhouette of the stores shopkeeper. She needed to speak with him, that was her whole point in coming here. Kagome rested one of her elbows on the register desk. She peered over and tried to look inside a door that led to another room somewhere in the back.

A firm hand placed itself upon her shoulder and she almost shrieked. She didn't turn around, she was too afraid. A smooth voice called from behind,

"Hello my dear."

6th chappeh complete yo!! Hope you all enjoyed it, and it would be most humbly appreciated if you could leave a lil' review.
Sign up to rate and review this story