Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Forced

Chapter 1

by Zuppi 0 reviews

After the Dai Li capture Sokka, Zuko concocts a plan to free his uncle from Azula's clutches. With honor and duty at stake can Zuko and Sokka set their differences aside for the sake of the common ...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance - Characters: Sokka, Zuko - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2006-12-15 - Updated: 2006-12-15 - 5306 words

1Exciting
Katara breathed slowly and deeply, her eyes closed and brow wrinkled in concentration. She held her hands over Aang's chest and took a deep breath before summoning all her available energy. Focusing, she willed Aang's chi to align, feeling her entire body tremble with effort. She could sense the magic flowing in her veins, tingling under her skin and desperately she knew it was not working. Whimpering she opened her eyes before laying her hand on Aang's forehead. A tear escaped her eye as she looked to the others. "He's running a high fever and I can't help him." She sniffed, her voice breaking. "I don't know what to do."

"You need to calm down Katara, I can feel you shaking like a leaf." Toph sighed.

"How am I supposed to calm down when for all I know Aang's... he's-" She bit her lip as her eyes filled with tears.

Sokka moved to her side, laying a hand of her shoulder. "It's ok Katara, we'll think of something." He attempted to sound reassuring but knew he sounded false. She sobbed loudly, launching herself at him. Sokka wrapped his arms around his sister, wishing there was more he could do than console her.

"What are we going to do, Sokka?"

"Belladonna"

"What?" Both Sokka and Katara turned to Toph in confusion.

"Belladonna is often used by people of the Earth Kingdom to bring down a fever."

Katara pulled away from Sokka. "But it's a magical fever. Belladonna might not do anything to help." She turned back to Aang.

"He has a huge burn on his back, there's nothing much magical about that. Anyway It's not like it'll make anything worse." Toph crouched down next to Aang.

"Toph's right. We should try whatever we can." Sokka got to his feet. "Where does belladonna grow?" He asked, turning to Toph.

"It's rare in the wild. Most larger apothecary shops carry it." She turned her unseeing eyes to him.

"How does that help?" Zatara cried, "We're in the middle of nowhere!"

Toph scowled "Well /sorry/. I was-"

"I'll take Appa to Ba Sing Se and get some" Sokka interrupted them.

"What?!" Katara jumped to her feet. "Don't be crazy, it's Fire Nation now, you'll never make it."

He turned to his younger sister and placed his hands on her shoulders. "I've got to try Katara. We can't take the chance that Aang will pull out of this on his own." Zatara began to weep, her bottom lip trembling. Sokka smiled crookedly at her, the grin not quite reaching his eyes. Her pulled her into an embrace. "I'll be fine. You stay here and concentrate on your healing. I bet Aang will be fine by the time I get back."


---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------


Zuko stared out over the vast city of Ba Sing Se from atop the castle. The Dai Li had been dispatched to ensure the citizens did not rebel at the news the city was now in the hands of the Fire Nation. He doubted Azula would have any problems with an uprising. During his time living and working among the people he had got to know them and their way of thinking. The war was never mentioned, they all believed they were safe from any danger. They were not a strong people. He doubted the thought to rebel would even occur to them. Azula had well and truly won.

He sighed, fingering the scar that marred his face. Adrenaline flowed freely through his veins. Did his father really want him to return? After all this time was his rightful place as heir really going to be reinstated? It was all so unexpected. All the time he'd been searching for the Avatar he'd dreamed of getting his birthright back but now it just felt... wrong. He had betrayed one of the only people to have faith in him, nothing about the situation felt honorable. He couldn't bear to think about Iroh locked in a cold, dank cell somewhere, labeled a traitor when he was the most honorable man Zuko knew. He hung his head and massaged his temples attempting to alleviate the ache in his head.

"Brooding still, are we Zuzu?"

He turned to see his sister barely veiled in shadow. She smirked sadistically, stepping from her dark subterfuge. "I told you not to call me that."

She snorted in response, coming to stand next to him. "What do you think of my city?" Her eyes darted around the vast empire before them. "A messenger has been dispatched to the palace, soon Father will know of our triumph."

Zuko looked away from her. Her could tell from her tone of voice that she didn't place much credit with him for bringing the Earth Kingdom to it's knees. He wondered what Azula had said of him in her message but found he could not ask. "I'm sure he'll be very proud of you." He could not keep the bitter tone from his voice. Azula turned to look at him but he shied away from her penetrating gaze. He looked once more over the city before something in his peripheral vision caught his eye. The shape was very far away but even at such a distance it's massive bulk was unmistakable - Appa. Zuko tried to control his emotions but his sharp intake of breath was noticed by Azula nonetheless.

"What is it?" She demanded, futilely leaning over the wall in an attempt to get a clearer view.

"It's the Avatar." Zuko answered turning from her and striding in the direction of his room, intending to retrieve his broad swords.

Azula laughed behind him. "Perfect. Not only have I taken the city of Ba Sing Se but soon the Avatar will be mine." Zuko heard her turn and address one of the Dai Li. "Assemble the strongest Earthbenders."

"NO!" Zuko whipped round to meet her. "The Avatar is MINE!"

Azula's eyes darkened. "You cannot be trusted to capture him, Zuko. You've failed too often before."

Zuko began to tremble in rage. He felt the fire dance within his veins. "I will capture the Avatar. Don't get in my way Azula."

She stared pointedly at him and Zuko felt electricity crackle in the air. His heart racing, he prepared himself for an immanent attack. "Fine." Azula turned from him, the magical energy dying as she did so.

"What?" Zuko was caught off guard by her sudden change in demeanor.

"You go capture the Avatar." She answered her back still to him. "But take a contingent of the Dai Li with you."

"I don't need their help" Zuko replied acidly.

"Of course you don't big brother," Azula turned to face him, a sarcastic smile on her face. "But it couldn't hurt."

Zuko turned from her, intent on leaving to capture the Avatar as soon as possible. "Fine."


---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------


Sokka alighted from Appa as quietly as possible. He knew he had to move fast, it was likely Appa had been noticed by now and that the Dai Li, or worse Azula, were on their way. He ran through the streets of what he knew to be the medical quarter. Upon finding an apothecary he smashed the door open, no thought for subtlety. He searched the shelves as quickly as possible before finding a jar labeled 'belladonna'. Not knowing how much they needed he simple took the whole thing, stuffing it into the bag he brought with him. Turning he jumped through the smashed door and landed lightly on his feet. He began backtracking to Appa's location. He turned a corner at speed and ran straight into a group of Dai Li astride ostrich horses, with Zuko in the lead.

Sokka could only stare at them for a second before turning tail and running back the way he came.

"Capture him!" Zuko dug his heels into the side of the ostrich horse forcing it after Sokka.

Sokka ran desperately, his only thought on how to evade the hunters. He zig zagged his way down narrow streets, Zuko and the Dai Li at his heels the entire time. He was unsure of the way, having only visited this area once during their stay in Ba Sing Se. Not knowing his exact location he could only pray to the spirits that he was heading in the general location of Appa. He turned a corner, relaxing slightly as the area began to look familiar. Up ahead he was certain was the small park he had left Appa in. He passed through the gates and into the park where he had left the great flying bison. But something was wrong. He could hear Appa crying out in distress. Forcing all his energy into one last sprint he burst through a large shrub and into a clearing. His heart sank, however, to find Appa subdued by the Dai Li. They had constructed a large rock enclosure around him. Several of them seemed to be concentrating on keeping it intact as Appa crashed against it in an attempt to escape.

Suddenly someone grabbed his wolf-tail from behind. Sokka struggled against the iron tight grip, cursing himself for remaining motionless in his shock. The icy cold steel of a sword against his neck quietened his struggles. "Where's the Avatar?" Zuko asked pulling his hair tighter, causing Sokka to rise on tip toe.

"He's far away from /you/!" He spat in disgust.

"Search him" Zuko threw Sokka into the arms of the waiting Dai Li soldiers.

Zuko urged his ostrich horse forward to one of the soldiers helping contain Appa. "Any sign of the Avatar?"

"No sir." He turned and looked up to Zuko. "It does appear the boy was traveling alone."

"Bring the beast to the castle but leave a full unit in the area in case he's lying." Zuko turned back to the men searching Sokka. "Well?"

"We found these sir." One indicated to a pile of equipment lying on the ground. "But he also had this in his possession" He handed the large jar of belladonna to Zuko.

"Belladonna?" Zuko asked, brow furrowed in confusion.

"It's commonly used to treat a fever." The same Dai Li soldier answered him.

Zuko turned his attention to Sokka. "The Avatar's sick?" It was more a statement than a question.

"I'm not telling you anything." Sokka struggled in vain against his captures.

"Bring them back to the castle." Zuko turned from the scene. "We will interrogate him there."


---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------


Zuko marched in front of the two Dai Li soldiers confining Sokka. He felt tense being in the jail and tried to banish thoughts of Iroh from his head. They traveled the dark hallways on their way to the secure unit usually used to contain those with bending abilities. Zuko was taking no chances with Sokka.

"Eat your filth, scum!" They turned a corner to find a solider throwing a bowl of rice into a cell.

Zuko grimaced at his behavior. "What is the meaning-" He inhaled sharply when he recognized the cell. It was where his uncle was being held. "How dare you!" he raced forward, pushing the soldier out of his way. "Uncle!" He knelt by the older man, who was now covered in rice. "Uncle, I'll ensure they get you clean clothes and-"

"No!" Iroh met his eyes for an instant before looking away. "You shame me Prince Zuko. I do not need your help" He got up, and walked away from Zuko.

Zuko stared after him. He could not stand that his uncle was disappointed with him. He looked around the tiny cell, revolted at the conditions Iroh was being held in. This was not right.

"Sir?" One of the soldiers restraining Sokka questioned him tentatively.

Zuko composed himself before turning around. "There's no need to house the Water Tribe boy here." Sighing heavily Zuko left Iroh behind. "Come with me." He lead them back the way they came. "These cells should be sufficient. He's not a threat." Zuko sneered as the guards threw Sokka into the cell. "He can't even waterbend."

"Hey!" Sokka cried out in indignation. "I can kick your ass bending or no bending."

Zuko scowled at him. Quick as lighting he sprinted to Sokka's side and punched him hard in the stomach. Winded Sokka fell to his knees, cradling his stomach. Zuko knelt by him and whispered in his ear. "Do you really want me to put you in a more secure cell?" Sokka turned to look at him quizzically but Zuko's face was blank. After a beat Zuko rose to standing. He glanced at Sokka one last time before turning and exiting the cell. The heavy iron door closed with a large bang leaving Sokka confused in the darkness.


---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------


Zuko was kneeling before his meditation table, eyes closed, deep in thought. He tried to keep his breathing steady and mind clear but the candles before him flickered constantly, visual evidence of the turmoil that was his mind. He could not decide what to do. He had a plan for helping his uncle, for freeing him from such a disrespectful fate but to go through with it would mean becoming a traitor himself. If he was found out not only would his honor be gone forever but he would be labeled a traitor and killed on sight if he ever encountered Fire Nation citizens. And yet in his heart he knew exactly what he needed to do...

The candles before him flickered blue and blazed brighter for an instant, alerting Zuko to the approach of Azula. He took a few calming breaths in an effort to control his emotions. He could not alert Azula to his plans. The next second the doors of his rooms banged open and Azula entered. "I hear congratulations are in order." She sounded anything if happy. "You finally captured the Avatar. Farther will be so pro-"

"I didn't capture the Avatar." Zuko cut her off. He remained kneeling, and concentrated on breathing, hoping to control his emotions.

"What?!" Instantly Azula was standing behind him. "You let him get away? /Again/?!"

"I don't believe he was here at all. It looks like one of their group travelled to Ba Sing Se alone." Zuko stood to face his sister.

Azula's eyes blazed. "How do you know? What-"

"I've let a group of Dai Li in the area to watch out for any others. And we have the air bison. They can't escape without it."

"You better hope for your sake that's true." She turned to leave. "Father won't forgive you loosing the Avatar again."

Zuko turned back to the table. For the first time since his banishment the Avatar was the least of his troubles.


---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------


Sokka sat cross legged with his head in his hands. He had to escape... somehow. He needed to get out this cell and save Aang. Everyone was counting on him. But the cell was more than secure. He dreaded to think what the more secure cells reserved for benders were like. Scowling he tried to banish any thoughts on why Zuko suddenly changed his mind and brought him to this cell. Do you really want me to put you in a more secure cell? What did that mean? Was Zuko simply toying with him, or did he want him to escape? But why would he want that? Groaning in frustration Sokka lay on his back, arms crossed behind his head. All this thinking was giving him a migraine.

Suddenly he heard the door creak. He jumped to his feet as quickly as possible. He hoped it was one of the guards with his dinner but thought it more likely it was someone coming to interrogate him. The door opened and a masked man dressed completely in black entered the cell. Looking behind him, the man closed the door before turning to Sokka. With one hand he pulled a sword from the sheath at his side, while with the other he removed the mask.

"Zuko?!" Sokka braced himself, preparing for a fight. His eyes darted to the sword before looking back at Zuko.

"Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you." Zuko sounded irritated and nervous.

"Like I'm really going to relax around the sword wielding maniac who's been trying to kill me for the past few months." Sokka replied sarcastically.

"If you want to get out of here you're going to have to trust me." Zuko grimaced as the words left his mouth. He was starting to wonder if this whole was a good idea.

"Trust-" Sokka let his guard down in the midst of his confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"I will free you from this cell if you help me." Zuko felt his heart race, there was no going back now.

"I'm not helping you!" Sokka spat. "I'd rather die in here than help you!"

"But will you let one of your friends die too? I know you risked your life coming back to Ba Sing Se to get this belladonna." Zuko dropped the mask before removing a pouch form around his neck. "Someone in your party is ill, very ill. I'm betting it's the Avatar. Whether your own life is meaningless to you is not in question, but is the life of the Avatar worth it?"

Sokka fell silent. Zuko had him. Aang might be dying as they argued. And Zuko seemed very agitated, Sokka had never seen him in such a state. His breathing was erratic and his brow was glistening with sweat. "What do you want me to do?"

"I will help you escape from this prison with the flying bison on the condition that you take my uncle Iroh with you." Zuko attempted to appear calm but Sokka could see him trembling slightly.

"Why?" Sokka asked quietly.

"That doesn't matter." Zuko scowled. "Will you do it?"

"How do I know you this isn't a trap. How do I know that as soon as we land Iroh's not going to turn on us?" Sokka asked skeptically.

"You must know by now that Iroh turned against us while Azula and I battled the Avatar. He doesn't believe in the war. He wants to help you." Zuko wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"You think he's going to teach Aang firebending?" Sokka asked in disbelief.

"I don't care what he does." Zuko replied dismissively. "I just want you to take him away from here."

Sokka looked away from Zuko. He didn't know what to do. He didn't for one second believe that Zuko wanted to help him but the affection he had previously shown for his uncle seemed real.

"I don't have time to wait." Zuko interrupted Sokka's train of thought. "You need to decide, /now/!"

Sokka took a deep breath. Zuko was right, they didn't have time for him to weigh the pros and cons of their situation. He needed to act fast. He didn't know what Zuko's motives were and he certainly didn't trust him but at the very least he would be out of his cell. If Zuko turned on him he at least had a chance of escaping on his own. He sighed and looked to Zuko. "Fine, I'll do it. But how will we get out of the city?"

Zuko relaxed visibly. "I can bring you to Appa." He remarked, turning to the cell door.

Zuko replaced his mask before looking out into the hall way. He checked in both directions before beckoning Sokka. Sokka followed the prince slowly... part of him was contemplating attacking Zuko and escaping on his own but he quickly dismissed this plan. Zuko was quite a bit taller than him and had more than a few pounds him, coupled with the fact Zuko was armed, it didn't strike Sokka as a plan likely to end in success. Reluctantly he followed Zuko down the maze-like jail halls.

Zuko stopped at a junction and looked back at Sokka. "It's just around this corner." He whispered. His voice was hurried and he appeared to be breathing heavily. Before Sokka had time to react Zuko pinned him to the wall, the cold steel of a broadsword at the Water-tribe boy's neck. "If word gets to me that you so much as laid a finger on my uncle" Zuko's voice was barely above a whisper but it's intensity struck Sokka to the core. "I will hunt you down and take you piece by piece." Gold eyes flashed behind the black mask as Zuko applied just a fraction more pressure on the sword. Sokka gasped as the steel just pierced his skin, a bead of bright red blood staining the metal. With the same speed, Zuko removed the broadsword and turned on heel and stalked down the hall. Sokka remained flat against the wall for a beat, his breathing deep and erratic. Tentatively he brushed his neck, his hand coming away sticky with blood.

Zuko had reached Iroh's cell by the time Sokka caught up with him. The prince ignored the other boy, intent on gaining entry and ensuring his uncle was well. Zuko unlocked the door and swung it open. Iroh sat on the floor, legs crossed hands resting on his knees. He appeared to be meditating. "Uncle?" Zuko removed his mask and knelt by the old man.

"Prince Zuko." Iroh's tone was cold and even.

Zuko's chest constricted. His breathing became shallow. "Uncle, I-"

"Well as heart warming as this reunion is don't you think it was time we were going?" Sokka leaned against the door frame.

Zuko glared at the younger boy but Iroh's indifferent mask melted. "Prince Zuko, what's happening?"

"I'm getting you out of here." Zuko stood and extended a hand to Iroh.

With Zuko's help Iroh got to his feet. "I don't understand. I thought you were working with Azula."

Zuko looked away, frowning. "I don't have time to go into it. We have to leave, now!" Without further discussion he replaced his mask and stormed out of the cell, pushing past Sokka. "Appa's being held in the cells on the lower floor." Without further comment he exited the cell and began running down the hall. Iroh and Sokka exchanged puzzled looks before following after.

The halls were mostly deserted. Zuko kept a look out for guards but they easily avoid the few patrolling the halls. Zuko had ensured most of their numbers had been sent out to search the city for the Avatar. At last Zuko slowed down and beckoned to the others. "The bison is through here." He indicated a cell to his right. "Here," He removed the pouch of belladonna and after a moments hesitation gave it to Iroh. "That's your insurance. Hold off giving this to them until you can get away."

"What is it?" Iroh opened the pouch and sniffed the contents.

"He'll explain." Zuko inclined his head in Sokka's direction as he fiddled with the lock.

"But-"

Zuko ignored Iroh and continued into the cell. It was a large room, steep walled and topped by a heavy iron grill, through which they had brought Appa. Inside the cell, Appa was once again chained by each leg. He roared in anger in response to Zuko's entrance but cooed loudly as Sokka followed.

"Appa!" Sokka rushed to the bison, embracing him as much as possible. Appa roared again and, much to Sokka's disgust, licked him from head to foot. Zuko observed them indifferently.

"Zuko." Iroh said sternly.

"Yes uncle?" Zuko turned to face the old firebender, removing his mask as he did so. He found he could not look his uncle directly in the eye. He still felt great shame for disappointing him.

Iroh placed a hand on Zuko's shoulder. Zuko looked at him in response and found, to his great relief, his uncle smiling fondly at him. "I am proud of you nephew."

Zuko's brow furrowed in confusion. His uncle thought he was escaping with them. "You have to hurry." He turned from Iroh and ran to Appa's side. Sokka had already scurried onto Appa's head and was fingering the reins impatiently. "I'll help you aboard." He held out a hand to Iroh.

"But-" Iroh stared at him in disbelief. "Zuko you cannot stay here. You must come with us."

"I can't." Zuko turned from his uncles disappointed face. "Father wants me back. He's going to reinstate me as heir."

"You cannot believe that!" Iroh grasped Zuko by the shoulder and roughly spun him around. "You cannot trust Azula! You know this Zuko!"

"I don't know for certain! I'm tired of running, of living in squalor. I want to go home." Zuko glanced at Sokka who was listening in unashamedly.

"Zuko, you cannot possibly get away with this. You never think things through!" Iroh took Zuko firmly by the shoulders. "Azula's going to know you helped me, Zuko! She's not a fool!"

"Why thank you uncle, I don't think you've ever paid me such a complement before." Azula's confident voice echoed around that large cell. Zuko, Iroh and Sokka turned to find Azula accompanied by a large force of Dai Li barring the entrance. Zuko and Iroh adopted defensive stances. "Zuzu, you truly are an idiot." She sneered, a sadistic smile on her face. "You really thought you could get away with this, didn't you?" Her cruel laugh echoed around the cell. "And you really believed father wanted you back. Poor, poor Zuzu. The only reason father would ever let you back in the Fire Nation is to execute you. You're an embarrassment to him. A weak, pathetic excuse for a son-"

"Shut up!" Flames shot involuntarily from Zuko palms. Anger boiled in his veins.

"Give up now, Zuzu." Azula smirked, glancing at the Dai Li. In response the skilled Earthbenders advanced on the trio. Azula turned her back on them and began to walk out of the cell. "You've already lost." She exited the room, slamming the door in her wake.

"Go!" Zuko drew his swords, glancing back at Iroh.

"No, Zuko. I won't leave you." Iroh stood beside Zuko, his attention focused on the approaching Dai Li.

"No, I won't let you." Summoning all his strength, Zuko dropped his swords before grasping Iroh by the scruff of the neck and throwing him into Appa's saddle. Using his momentum he spun around to face the Dai Li, simultaneously dropping to the ground to retrieve his swords. Just as he assumed a defensive stance the Dai Li launched their attack. Zuko managed to deflect most of the stone fists but was knocked over completely as two made contact with his chest. The force of the impact winded him and caused him to drop his swords.

"Zuko you can come with us." Sokka flicked the reins. "Yip yip!" Appa ascended into the air. With a flick of his tail he caused two of chains securing him to snap. "Zuko!"

Zuko kept his concentration on the Dai Li. "I'll cover you, GO!" He ducked around the on-coming attacks and sent a blast of fire at one of the chains as he hacked at another with his broadswords. Another chain was snapped by the Dai Li's attacks. Zuko ran to the last chain receiving numerous hits by the Dai Li. He stumbled to the ground, winded completely. He could not draw the breath necessary to firebend and instead began to cut at the chain using his remaining sword. Appa screeched as he strained against the last chain while Iroh attempted to take out as many Dai Li as possible. With one last try Zuko managed to sever the last chain. Appa soared upwards suddenly, leaving Zuko mere seconds to grasp the length of chain still attacked to the flying front bison's foot. Appa approached the large metal grill covering the cell, looping upside down and sending a huge gust towards the grill and causing it to buckle up and out. Zuko held on with all his strength as he was whipped around by the chain. Appa charged the grill at speed leaving Sokka only seconds to scurry away from the point of collision. They erupted out of the cell with tremendous speed.

"Zuko!" Iroh looked over the side of the saddle to where Zuko was struggling to keep ahold of the chain now whipping about in the breeze. "Get the beast to land!" He shouted to Sokka.

Sokka glanced back at the older man. "I'm trying!" He looked back to Appa. "He's not listening to me. I think he wants to find Aang."

"We have to help Zuko!" Iroh shouted against the breeze.

"I'll do it!" Sokka hooked his legs around Appa's horn and swung down, extending his hand to Zuko. "Take my hand!" He called to the older boy.

The wind forced tears from Zuko's eyes. His strength was failing him. He could tell his ribs were badly bruised and were making it very difficult to maintain his grip. Ignoring the burning pain in his chest he slowly climbed up the chain, eyes focused on Sokka. Sokka tried to stretch down further. Zuko was making achingly slow progress and Sokka could see his strength was failing.

"Come on!" Sokka called to Zuko as the firebender came within his reach. He gritted his teeth in preparation as Zuko stretched his hand towards him. Zuko swung closer to him, bringing his hand within grasping distance of Sokka's, however Zuko misjudged the distance between them and their hands missed. With a cry Zuko fell back down the chain, managing to grab a hold at the last minute. "Come ON!" Sokka cried out once more upon seeing the desperate look in Zuko's eyes. Against his better judgment he loosened his leg grip on Appa's horn a little, enabling him to swing lower and reach for Zuko again. Screaming in pain and frustration, Zuko began to climb the chain again. This time once their hands were within grasping distance Zuko stalled and waited for the most opportune minute before reaching for Sokka. Their hands connected and Sokka caught Zuko in an iron tight grip. With his other hand, Sokka grabbed Zuko by the wrist and began to pull him up. To his horror Sokka felt his legs begin to buckle. His eyes closed in pain, Sokka tried to pull Zuko to safety. His muscles burned with effort and he screamed in frustration.

"Let go!" Zuko called to Sokka, as he began to wriggle his hand in an attempt to break Sokka's grip.

"NO!" Sokka looked to Zuko, biting his lip from the effort of maintaining his grip on the struggling prince.

"You're not strong enough. You have to let me fall." Zuko continued his efforts to break free, consciously keeping his eyes from Iroh.

"NO!" Sokka's voice broke in desperation. "Zuko!" He felt Zuko's hand slip from his own. Time appeared to slow down. He watched in horror as Zuko's hand fell from his own... as the dark haired boy began to fall through the air. Zuko's eyes widened in fear and he subconsciously attempted to clutch at Sokka again. "ZUKO!" Sokka screamed knowing there was nothing he could do but watch. In his distraction Sokka failed to grain a better purchase with his legs. A great gust of wind caused Appa to bank suddenly. Sokka attempted to swing his body up and grab Appa's horn with his hands but even as he did so he knew there was nothing he could do. He's arms scrambled helplessly in the space the horn once occupied. With revulsion he felt himself flip over and fall through the endless sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~


Yes, a cliff hanger... sorry. I wanted to write a one shot for my first venture into Avatar slash but various plot bunnies took hold and it has evolved into a multi-chapter fic. Oops. Next chapter will be posted this day week. Reviews greatly appreciated, constructive criticism is very greatly appreciated and will be reciprocated with cookies.
Sign up to rate and review this story